VCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
YES! Definately go get a road bike!

I couldn't live without mine!

I hope to live close enough to campus to ride to class everyday. Blacksburg is perfect for it too. Clears up your mind before class and after.

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any good mountain biking trails as well?

Hey does anyone have any suggestions on places to live. I'm looking at apartments but I want to make sure I don't end up living with a bunch of loud undergrads....

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I just got an e-mail from VCOM stating "There is no titer required for DTP."... Just in case anyone was still worried about it

Why is this thread so quiet? Well here is some food for thought. When is everbody heading out to Blacksburg? Who will be renting and who will be buying housing? What do future VCOMer's do fun?

I was thinking the same thing. I am renting and I am pretty sure I am living at Knollwood right across from vcom.

Not sure if I am renting or buying yet. I'm planning on coming up around April 24-28 to do some house hunting. Anyone else going to be there around that time? I don't think I am going to be able to swing the Accepted Students Day trip.

I thinking maybe late March for house hunting. I am tempted to buy, I guess it depends on how well it goes when we sell our condo. When is the acceptance day?

I have heard April 5th from both Megan and Bea in the Admissions office. I don't think they have officially announced the date yet, so it could change.

mrsa...where are you from?

Good Deal. So you are not too far from school then, or at least in the same state. I am from Mississippi, you probably knew that from my picture though. :)

Yeah your picture gave it away. For me it is about a 4.5 hour drive to get to Blacksburg. Going there though I get poor gas mileage because it's all up hill. On the way back it's not so bad. So, are you heading there sometime mid-summer?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, it looks like I am going to be flying up at the end of April to do some house hunting and then we will probably be moving during middle-late July. Flying is not bad at all, can't imagine how much fun the 850 mile move is going to be haha.

i live about 3.5 hours from blacksburg, so i'll probably come up for accepted student's day and plan on looking at housing that weekend. i don't think i am going to buy - i'm way too poor!
Hablo espanol un poco, aber ich kenne mehr Deustch.

The only German I know is ich liebe diche, and i don't know if I spelled it correctly.:D

Is anyone having difficulty getting all the required documents in by the March 1st deadline? For those that have requested deadline extension, I'm wondering how lenient they are in considering it.

Just request for an extension. I had to request for one with regards to my immunization and physical because I was having trouble with my titer levels and they granted it no questions asked.

I think they will grant an extension if you have a good reason.. I got one for my transcripts and my immunization form and they were fine about it..

I sent an email to Kathy Thorsen a few days asking for an extension on the immunizations (I have to have all of my Hep B series redone). She forwarded it to the clinical education people and I still haven't heard back. I'm a little worried, because my series won't be complete until mid-August.

On another note, how many of you guys are bringings "guests" or parents to accepted student's day?

I sent an email to Kathy Thorsen a few days asking for an extension on the immunizations (I have to have all of my Hep B series redone). She forwarded it to the clinical education people and I still haven't heard back. I'm a little worried, because my series won't be complete until mid-August.

On another note, how many of you guys are bringings "guests" or parents to accepted student's day?

Hey, I had the same problem about the hep B, my series won't be done until August either... Sarah Martin just told me what I need to send in now and then told me to bring proof to her after getting all my Hep B while I'm in school... She also said I'll have to get a retiter while I'm in school... they were really nice about it...

How many of you are going to Accepted student's day??

i'll be there, but i don't think i want to bring my parents. i don't know that they would be of much help...

I'm not sure I'm going to go, I live really far away...

Not going to be able to make it to Accepted Students' Day. My wife couldn't get off for that weekend and we're trying to go house hunting too. We are coming April 24-29 though.

For those of you flying in, tickets to Greensboro NC Airport (about 150 mi from VCOM) are alot cheaper than flying in to Roanoke right now. However, if you can afford it, Roanoke is definitely the best choice.

i live about 3.5 hours from blacksburg, so i'll probably come up for accepted student's day and plan on looking at housing that weekend. i don't think i am going to buy - i'm way too poor!
Hablo espanol un poco, aber ich kenne mehr Deustch.

While that makes sense to you, and a german might understand you. That isn't right. ;)

Kennen is for concrete things, persons, places.

wissen is for ideas, concepts, and things you have a knowledge of.

Although, when speaking with a german, they may not use that either. If a german is saying they know a particular language they may be more inclined to say "Ich kann französich, spanisch, russisch, usw." Depends on the region though.

While that makes sense to you, and a german might understand you. That isn't right. ;)

Kennen is for concrete things, persons, places.

wissen is for ideas, concepts, and things you have a knowledge of.

Although, when speaking with a german, they may not use that either. If a german is saying they know a particular language they may be more inclined to say "Ich kann französich, spanisch, russisch, usw." Depends on the region though.

hah! thanks for the correction. I haven't taken German in years. If my German is better than my Spanish, I guess you guys can see that my Spanish really really sucks.

Hello everyone,

I was accepted yesterday (Interviewed on 2-11)... Hooray!

I have looked through some of the vcom threads and have yet to find anything about financial aid. During the interview day, I found out about the $250,000 aggregate limit. I know that this does not affect many people, but is there anyone out there that has had serious problems with this? Is there any way around this (i.e. non-education loans with decent interest rates) without joining the military? Is anyone in the same boat?

Yes there are options to that limit. I do know that there is a policy in place that a student can appeal to the financial aid committee and can get a lift of this limit. Some students come with a bunch of undergrad debt so an appeal policy is a good thing to have. Try not to borrow more than what you need to live on. Try your best.

I'm not sure I'm going to go, I live really far away...

You can't live much further away than I do (Seattle, WA), and I am going. So come on, it will be fun!

Hello everyone,

I was accepted yesterday (Interviewed on 2-11)... Hooray!

I have looked through some of the vcom threads and have yet to find anything about financial aid. During the interview day, I found out about the $250,000 aggregate limit. I know that this does not affect many people, but is there anyone out there that has had serious problems with this? Is there any way around this (i.e. non-education loans with decent interest rates) without joining the military? Is anyone in the same boat?

Here is an option, without joining the military. http://nhsc.bhpr.hrsa.gov/

You can't be much further away than I do (Seattle, WA), and I am going. So come on, it will be fun!

Haha, yeah you live further then I do! I'm trying to convince my parents to let me use their car, or drive me... I hope I can go

Anybody started window shopping for a laptop?

Unless their computers were broken, my class brought theirs each day. There were a very small few that would print out all the powere points and not use their computers, but they were certainly the minority. I also believe the overwhelming majority of my class had a Dell. They are offering free shipping if you order online currently. I just replaced my the laptop I bought at teh begining of med school for a newer bigger one. People used to laugh at my mini one. It was a Dell Latidue 400. It was the second smallest in the class and was very light weight. It worked well for class but I would suggest a bigger one for less eye strain. I lOVE this new one I just got. Big screen, 200GB memory,etc......

Our VCOM IT guy is a big help if you run into computer issues. And there is ALWAYS a computer wiz in every class that knows how to fix things that come up. Mine saved my butt on more than one occassion.

I am thinking about getting a TABLET. I have heard really good things about them. I have also done some research and it seems as if the HP and Toshiba have the best customer reviews. Is anyone else thinking about the TABLET?

Navy 94

I have researched the HP tx2000, and I currently have an HP 17" widescreen that really has not given me any grief, so I was thinking about sticking with HP. However, it costs anywhere between $1000 and $2300 depending on how you customize it. It would cost about $1800 for how I would customize it.
You?

I have been looking a little at computers also. I was kind of thinking about a Tablet but I have heard they are kind of bulky and heavy. Not sure how that will shake out yet.

Has anyone had problems with Dell? I had an inspiron 8500 through college and have had a hard drive crash, my CD Drive fall apart, my battery charger replaced, overheating, the list goes on. Not to mention my family desktop just had to have XP reinstalled because of a crash.

By The Way, how long did it Take Pre-Check to process yoru background check? I sent in my deopsit and info to Pre-Check back in January and it still hasn't gotten back to VCOM admissions yet.

CRISPDO,

Tablets weigh about 3-4.5 pounds, I am confused as to what you mean they are heavy and bulky.
It took about 1-2 weeks for them to receive the pre-check and maybe a week to notify me of my e-mail account and deadlines (your deadline most likely will not be March 1st)

Hey does VCOM tell you when they got everything? I sent all of my required stuff in already.

CDO2012
I just called them to find out.

Yeah, I haven't actually used a tablet I had just heard they were heavier. I guess bulky wasn't a good word to use. I like the idea behind them though and may end up getting one. I think the pen features would be great for class, note taking, etc.

I emailed pre-check so hopefully I will find out tomorrow what is going on.

I didn’t receive notification when all my stuff was in. I called to verify and was told I was good, but still have an uneasy feeling, because the communication seems to be one way. I would hope VCOM would notify us if we are missing anything.

I was looking at the DELL tablet yesterday, and being a VCOM student we can get a 12% discount. However, you need a student ID number to get the discount and I don’t have an ID number yet.

I look forward to meeting all of you who are going to Student Acceptance Day on April 5th and meeting the rest in August.

Brad

Do they answer when you call??? I've been trying to get a hold of them for a while....

There are times when I can't get a hold of anyone, I leave a message, and then keep calling until I get someone. If all else fails, call or email Megan...she is always helpful.

There are times when I can't get a hold of anyone, I leave a message, and then keep calling until I get someone. If all else fails, call or email Megan...she is always helpful.

Ok thanks.. I'll give it a day then I'll call Megan.

Hey guys.. I was wondering if anyone started applying for housing. I'm really confused, all the places I look at have a fee with the application. Is that normal for housing in Blacksburg???

I started with the housing process and yes, I had to pay the application fee. Most of the housing in Blacksburg is managed by CMG and they charge a fee. I signed a pre-lease for Knollwood which is right across the street from VCOM and there is also a fee. However, the fee for the pre-lease will carry over to the security deposit if you get the apartment or returned.

VCOM doesn't require Life Insurance anymore! I knew it was a stupid idea after all... what were they going to get money from like 1 medical student that dies in 3 years?? I didn't know VCOM was so money hungry..good job for finally catching up with all the other medical schools who don't require it either!

VCOM doesn't require Life Insurance anymore! I knew it was a stupid idea after all... what were they going to get money from like 1 medical student that dies in 3 years?? I didn't know VCOM was so money hungry..good job for finally catching up with all the other medical schools who don't require it either!

Not sure why your attitude seems so negative against VCOM....
So were they requiring that you paid them for life insurance?? We had to have life insurance but we got it from somewhere else, like an insurance company. Mine cost 120$ per year, 10$ per month, hardly a money hungry thing.....

And I have to tell you we have had some near misses at VCOM with health of classmates, a number of people with cancers, a number of auto accidents, etc..... It is a good thing to have at any age. Anything can happen at any time and then who will pay for things, your parents? your spouses??? Case in point, I have insurance on me and my husband but not on our children becasue we all know kids dont need it, right..... Of course I have learned the hard way after my son was killed by a nurse at the local hospital a year ago this March 2...........Life is unpredictable and you need to stay protected.
My .02 cents....