VCOM Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have acquaintances in all of the classes and these are where the rumors originate from.

First rumor: Now third years were told in writing by administration that the school would pay for boards and board prep. The school bagged out and the third years lawyered up.

Second rumor: The school has been giving permission to another doctors powerpoints w/out consulting said doctor, can someone say copyright infringement.

Third rumor: Certain first years want to leave VCOM bc. of the new teaching style and the dean will not sign their letter to transfer.

Fourth rumor: Someone on VCOMs personal forum complained about administration and their comments were quickly shut down....free speech anyone?

I highly doubt these are rumors based on the source but it isn't like I am The Deepthroat.

I have received alot of messages about my post and although they all confirm what I am saying about administration (crappy at best). They all believe that VCOM has potential and the education is worth something. I just hope that VCOM is not overlooked by VT (athletics and facility usage) when the new medical school (MD) starts in 2010. I hope that the Roanoke hospitals will still be available since Carilion is helping to start the medical school and their adds can be seen all over TV.

My 2 cents...

First rumor: I know they were told that, and were upset to find that it wasn't true (they had done it in previous years), but i believe the class officers handled it. my close friend is a 3rd year, he never said anything about anyone getting a lawyer.

Second rumor: I don't know what they tell the doctors' that they "borrow", or as they like to say "adapted", power points from, but it always includes their name and info. No idea if they are going behind someone's back or not.

Third rumor: Again, rumors, but i have heard this from a bunch of different people who do not hang in the same circles. the strange part is, their number for the amount of students wanting to transfer is always the same (seems like an exaggerated number), which kind of makes me think there is some truth to it.

Fourth rumor: in vcom's defense, the blog is public and they are pretty concerned about their image. For a while, post could be anonymous (and people took full advantage of it), this is no longer the case, but if you say something that is considered "unprofessional" it is removed. This typically includes negative remarks, or comments with a frustrated undertone - IMHO, they are a little strict with this - nothing negative can every stay on the blog, just not realistic. That website was interesting for a while, now people just leave random youtube videos and articles up...:sleep: But it is also used to post study guides or ask questions. It was more interesting before :smuggrin:

I wouldn't be worried about the new school going in, if anything i think it'll open more doors for research and residency opportunities in the area. You'll find that although the admin does carry weight, most of your future will be a result of how hard YOU work. Make contacts, get out there, do well, ignore the crap that sucks. I try and listen to my own advice, but i'm almost 2 year in and most of my time has been spent in front of a computer/book...patience can run low at times +pissed+

Members don't see this ad.

I have acquaintances in all of the classes and these are where the rumors originate from.

First rumor: Now third years were told in writing by administration that the school would pay for boards and board prep. The school bagged out and the third years lawyered up.

Utterly false. I am a third year. We were told COMLEX part 2 (not PE) would be paid for, and I was reimbursed last month. We were told nothing about board prep being paid for, that's all on our own (just like at most every other school). My memory is often faulty, but I am almost certain that were were never told that the PE would be reimbursed. Also, while I have been out of state for the past two months, I have heard nothing about my fellow third-years "lawyering up."

I cannot attest to the validity of your other rumors, as I do not have direct, personal experience with them.

Hi,
I will be starting VCOM in august and I am looking for roommate(s) for next year. I would like to live in one of the apartments/townhouses that is very close to VCOM. I'd also like to live with 3-4 people total. Please email me if interested at [email protected] . I'm 25/M from Richmond, VA and went to Davidson College. I enjoy faith, friends, music, guitar, humor, traveling, etc. It would be cool to live with another Christian to help encourage the other through med school. I'm going to the student's day on April 5th.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fourth rumor: Someone on VCOMs personal forum complained about administration and their comments were quickly shut down....free speech anyone?

I highly doubt these are rumors based on the source but it isn't like I am The Deepthroat.

The forum is not run by VCOM. It is an independent student-run website that is used for VCOM students to connect positively to one another. Whether it is used for study guides, FAQ's, or for a laugh, it is all dependent upon the website administrators/developers (mostly second year students). The students themselves determine what is allowed to remain on the blog. If something was posted on the blog that was removed, it was because it violated the websites ordinances set forth by the students who developed it. The VCOM administration does not participate in or regulate the forum. Rumors are great for insight sometimes, but one has to be skeptical with them as well (case in point).

If any future students have any questions, feel free to ask me.

Jonathan

Greetings VCOM Class of 2012:)

I am a current second year and am looking to sell my townhouse since I will be moving away on rotations.

3 bedroom, 3.5 bathroom in Oak Tree Townhomes; Less than 10 minutes to VCOM or VT...Convenient to all shopping and restaurants! Check it out at: www.freewebs.com/vcomvt!

I look forward to meeting you all at Accepted Student's Day!

Lisa Dodd, OMSII
[email protected]
(804) 761-3328

Hello!

I am selling my home in Christiansburg and moving away to residency! It is the perfect location for a VCOM student. My first year here I had 2 roommates and rent was super cheap - then I got married and it has been a great family home!

It is a 3/2 home on 1/3 acre. Lots of room for pets, garden, kids, etc. The neighbors are great and it is on a cul-de-sac road, so traffic is minimal. Very quiet and relaxing way to get through school!

It is listed here with some pictures - if you want any other information about VCOM, housing, or life feel free to email me!

http://blacksburg.craigslist.org/rfs/631344879.html

Macy

First of all, I can't wait to be at VCOM in the fall!! I am wondering if any fellow 2012ers are going to be living alone because I am thinking about it. I am fine with living alone, but I don't want to miss out on anything.

Do any current students have thoughts on this? I know some (or maybe a lot) of students have their own tables and practice OMM at home and I would hate to miss out on good practice because I lived alone.

First of all, I can't wait to be at VCOM in the fall!! I am wondering if any fellow 2012ers are going to be living alone because I am thinking about it. I am fine with living alone, but I don't want to miss out on anything.

Do any current students have thoughts on this? I know some (or maybe a lot) of students have their own tables and practice OMM at home and I would hate to miss out on good practice because I lived alone.

If you lived alone, what's stopping you from practicing with others? You can still go over to someone else's place and practice, or they can come over to your place. Not many people really practice their OMM at home, anyway (unless its near OSCE or OMM practical time...and even then, they're at school). If that's your biggest worry, then you will have no problems living alone (may actually be preferable, as you'd have fewer distractions from studying at your place).

Utterly false. I am a third year. We were told COMLEX part 2 (not PE) would be paid for, and I was reimbursed last month. We were told nothing about board prep being paid for, that's all on our own (just like at most every other school). My memory is often faulty, but I am almost certain that were were never told that the PE would be reimbursed. Also, while I have been out of state for the past two months, I have heard nothing about my fellow third-years "lawyering up."

I cannot attest to the validity of your other rumors, as I do not have direct, personal experience with them.

True, I think what you guys are talking about is that we were told that VCOM would pay for our boards when we interviewed. At that time we were to be required to take USMLE and COMLEX. They canned the USMLE idea and we had to convince them to pay for board prep instead. At least thats how I remember it...

but who cares? This is 2012's forum not a bunch of jaded third years'. We should let the new guys enjoy the excitement of getting accepted. They'll find out in their own way what's up with VCOM.

have acquaintances in all of the classes and these are where the rumors originate from.

Second rumor: The school has been giving permission to another doctors powerpoints w/out consulting said doctor, can someone say copyright infringement.

Third rumor: Certain first years want to leave VCOM bc. of the new teaching style and the dean will not sign their letter to transfer.

I have received alot of messages about my post and although they all confirm what I am saying about administration (crappy at best). They all believe that VCOM has potential and the education is worth something. I just hope that VCOM is not overlooked by VT (athletics and facility usage) when the new medical school (MD) starts in 2010. I hope that the Roanoke hospitals will still be available since Carilion is helping to start the medical school and their adds can be seen all over TV.

About rumor #2: powerpoints used in class are technically VCOM material (as opposed to the professor that wrote the presentation), so they can be used by any doctor (or student for that matter, because I have used some of certain lecture presentation) at VCOM for VCOM usage.

About rumor #3: I don't know about what the dean will or will not do, but I can certainly understand why people would want to leave VCOM. Most of the professors really care about us (students) and are willing to do anything they can to possibliy to help us learn and be prepared for the 'real doctor world'. And we have some great opportunities available to us through club and volunteer experiences to help augment that information. But if you don't go out and get that experience and help on your own, you will not get it through the curriculum.

About #4: I think jsmittyund03 gave the best answer to this one.

There are a lot of compliants about having to learn the material on our own. In fact there is always something that someone is upset about at VCOM. Things are always being changed without our knowledge, or we are just not given the information to being with, or we are told information is coming out one day then we get it a week later.

Let's get something positive posted on this thread...who has something good to say about VCOM and what is your favorite thing about the school or curriculum?

The grass on the campus is pretty nice

Members don't see this ad :)
does vcom offer a cheap health insurance plan for students for next year? if not, are there cheap health insurance plans for people in med school?
thanks

When I did my research online, I found Anthem to be the cheapest.
does vcom offer a cheap health insurance plan for students for next year? if not, are there cheap health insurance plans for people in med school?
thanks

people!!!! i noticed on your facebook group, you are talking about studying anatomy ahead.....i know u r all excited to start med school and wanna get a head start on things....believe me...i was in your shoes last year....DONT OPEN/CRACK A BOOK OR ANY MATERIALS...except there is a small pdf that they will tell you to review the superficial anatomy...u can look at that a day or two before classes start.

u r gonna be in anatomy lab till you have had it!!!! and i mean it.....just relax and enjoy ur summer even if entails sitting idle and doing nothing!!!

everything is going to be fine in med school and you all will succeed....just relax now....and enjoy the people around you and the freedom of time and sleeping in and all the small stuff that you take for granted each day.

we, soon to be second years, are here for you to guide you to succeed and we will help you with test materials and study tips....u all will be in good hands...dont panic....

shoot me with an email if you need any help.

Hey 2012, I'll be there with you- and I don't have a place to live yet (lazy). If anyone still needs a roomie for a 2 bedroom or something (I'm 23, male) shoot me an e-mail: [email protected].

Otherwise I'm looking for a 1 or 2 bedroom nearby (I'm gonna try the Mill if they have any openings).

As far as studying early, I do not plan on looking at anything substantial until I get there, but they did send us a link for a terms e-textbook that I might glance at.

I bought the e-book and listened/read the first chapter. I think it will be pretty interesting....Im just not in the mood yet you know?

I just found this thread and I must say that I'm rather disappointed by my fellow, bitter classmates. Does VCOM have some things that I would like to see changed? Sure, but I'd like to see you find ANY school where people aren't complaining. I thought it was interesting that I didn't read anything in this thread about the new VCOM addition across the street that will house one of the most high-tech virtual simulation centers with (I believe 2) full surgery suites where undergrad medical students will be able to perform virtual laparoscopic gallbladder surgery!! It will also have OB, peds, and many more virtual training facilities. To the best of my knowledge, the new Carilion MD-PhD school has no plans of building such an amazing facility. And, no, I don't think this school will interfere with VCOM because they are two completely different schools. VCOM is focused on preparing clinicians whereas the Roanoke school will be a class of only about 50 students focused on going into medical research.

As far as the whole mess about how our class had to "teach" ourselves, all I can say is that I learned SO MUCH in neuro anatomy last block because otherwise I would have sunk. I feel that many of my peers are so caught up in the here and now and forget that at the end of the day, the most important thing is the patient. If you ask many of the people in our class, you will find that (after the fact) most people are glad they structured the class the way they did because we actually learned it, not just able to regurgitate it for a test.

If I had to change one thing about VCOM, it would be to make the PPC/OMM classes pass-fail. I say this because a large portion of our grade is determined by practicals, and large determinant of your grade is the examiner you get. But again, this is NOT unique to VCOM.

Bottom line, people will ALWAYS complain about their medical school and think that it is better elsewhere...

I thought it was strange that they didnt really mention the new buildings at accepted students day (although we could see the work being done). Do you have any idea when those surgery labs are schedueled to be completed?

The building that you saw across the street from VCOM is being built by the Virginia Tech corporate research center (CRC). That is not the building I reffered to in my previous post with the virtual sim center. The building under construction is going to have a VCOM automobile crash lab that will be run by Dr. Brolinson... pretty cool :thumbup:!
The sim center is being built in an already constructed building that VCOM bought on the other side of the street. Last I heard it will be completed this summer, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't done until the fall. A later project will be to turn the first floor of the sim center building into a student lounge and cafeteria. VCOM is really adding some amazing facilities to build up its name, and help it's students become great doctors! I hope you all are relaxing and preparing for a challenging, but very rewarding life change!

HokieDoc is correct and has a positive attitude about VCOM...I love VCOM as well and never trade it for another school...faculty, facilities, and everything pertaining to it is just plain awesome...

whatever negative comments you read beforehand, i am assuming that they are 2nd years and they are under alot of stress with board preparation and all...

the new simulation center will be of the hook...

plus VCOM started the project of building the dental school behind it :D pretty exciting!!

VCOM is growing and one day will become one of the top DO schools in the US.. I am loving it and you will too...

Thanks for the input and updates guys. I am so excited to start in August.

I'm glad to see the thread get back on a positive track. I was getting a little worried!

Has anyone asked or been told when the book list will be available? When I was in Blacksburg (first of May) the VT bookstore manager told me that he had not received a book list from VCOM, and was not optimistic that the books would arrive on time even if he did receive it. Since it looks like I will be getting books from online sources, I just want to make sure I order soon enough for them to arrive on time.

Hey simpleman, what's this about a dental school? where could I find information about that?

hey Tybalt1, i dont know where to get u info? this is what so many people say @VCOM.... once they are closing to finish infrastructure, they will start announcing officially about it...but for now, there isnt enough info about it except for word of mouth going around the students and i guess the staff...b/c i believe during interviews, the interviewees were told about the dental school being built...i will let u know when information arises

Has anyone received their award packages? Any idea when they will be sent out?

Has anyone received their award packages? Any idea when they will be sent out?

I received mine about 10 days ago. Hopefully yours will be in your mailbox today.

I got my Award Package a little over a week ago as well. If you don't receive it by Friday, I would give the financial aid office a call, but probably nothing to stress about...I'm sure they aren't all sent out at the same time.

So we got our Book List for Block 1 today...are you guys planning on buying all, some, or none of the books? Maybe this is a better question for 2nd years. If any current students want to know which books are on the list, let me know and I'll post 'em. It'd really be helpful to know what is and is not worth buying.

post it on here and i will let u know

The books that are on the list are

1. Wheater's Functional Histology (Young)

2. Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics (Turnpenny)

3. Berne and Levy Physiology (Coeppen)

4. Basic Medical Biochemistry (Lieberman)

5. Embryology (Mitchell)

6. Doctors on the Edge (Abrams)

The books that are on the list are

1. Wheater's Functional Histology (Young)

2. Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics (Turnpenny)

3. Berne and Levy Physiology (Coeppen)

4. Basic Medical Biochemistry (Lieberman)

5. Embryology (Mitchell)

6. Doctors on the Edge (Abrams)

The only book that I recommend out of this List is #4! Along with #4, buy the BRS Biochem book (its like 35 bucks). For physiology, buy two books 1) Costanzo Physiology textbook 2) Costanzo BRS physiology

#6, we never had it on our booklist, so i cant give u feedback. The others like embryology, histology, and Genetics, you wont need them....95% of the students never use them b/c instructor's notes are enough by themselves along with the powerpoint slides...they will keep you enough busy.

I believe it will be emailed to us shortly. This was in the same email as the book list and break schedule.

I am hopeful that the Block 1 calendar will be available for me to send to you by the end of next week. Block calendars give you a schedule of instructional times within each block.

Dr. Brian Hill

has anyone received their tuition bill yet? are these coming through email?

nope, no tuition bill yet. i have no idea how all that works.

i'm sure this has been asked before, but i think i'll ask again. any current students have a mac? if so, how's that working for you?

tuition bill comes to your vcom email address in a pdf format....

I dont like Macs but there are a few using them. I honestly have a tablet PC which is absolutely fantastic and very helpful when it comes to histology and radiology!!! Believe me, its not that expensive now....about a 1k or so.!!

good luck

I had a few questions for older classmates. I'm starting at VCOM next year...

1) what anatomy book would you recommend for next year?
2) how should I go about the medical terminology online summer course (was that a requirement your year?)
3) where's your favorite place to run on a daily basis in Blacksburg?
4) Do you know anything about the global health degree?
5) Have you done any medical missions in the Appalachians or abroad and if so, how did you like them?
6) Do you have an idea of what the academic calendar is going to look like next year?
7) Do you use any of VTs libraries, gyms, etc.? If so how do you like them?
8) Do you know anything about the local farmer's markets around Blacksburg
9) Do you know if there are any good thrift shops in the Blacksburg area?
10) How much time is there in the year to be away from Blacksburg?
11) Am I going to freeze next year? I've never spent winters outside of FL...more nervous about the cold than medical school, and that's not to say I'm not nervous about school...