VCOM Class of 2012 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Navy94

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I was waiting for someone else to open this thread, but I can't wait to see who is joining me in the Class of 2012.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you already interview or did you apply last year?

Did you already interview or did you apply last year?

I applied last year and was on the waitlist. I was granted acceptance soon after classes started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone interviewed at VCOM yet? I have one set for Sept 24th and I am looking for a few pointers.

What was the process like? Any tips? etc.

gNUGS hey congrats on the interview invite. Im a first year at vcom (supposed to be studying genetics right now but SDN is a cool study break). Anyways when I interviewed here I found the interview feedback thread on sdn was a great way to prepare. It has a list of most of the questions you will be asked on interview day. On the top of the page theres a link to interviews and then find "feedback" and you are good to go. As far as the interview itself most people have laid back interviews. They just want to find out who you are and how you may fit in with the school. Just relax and you will do fine. Good luck any questions from anyone please shoot me a message. :D

Congrats on the invite!! That means alot at VCOM they are very selective for interviews so that's a good sign.

I wil echo what Natiap said..the feedback was very very helpful..

if you have any specific questions don't hesitate to pm me..

Good luck:luck:

I had an interview last year. I was wondering if anyone knows if I have a worse chance of getting one this year because I had my shot last year. My interview was not totally laid back but it wasnt stressful. The dean interviewed me and it only lasted 10 min. I dont think that went well. I hope I get another interview this year.

Thanks guys,

I am really excited about the interview - it really felt great to get the invite. I will definitely take your advice and look at the interview threads. I can't wait until the 24th. It will be great to be in Blacksburg again.

Hey guys, Congrats on your interview invites. Let me tell you that I am absolutely happy to be MS-I here at VCOM.....Professors are great....technology is amazing, and everyone is helpful. PM me if you have any questions...Iwill be more than happy to help you out. I was in your shoes last year and I know how it feels....so I will be the person to calm you down

relax and enjoy ur ride. I was accepted to many schools such as pcom, yet I chose VCOM and God put me here for a reason and I know why. VCOM is an excellent school.

Plus, Megan Price is the Bomb!!! She is great...talk to her if you get a chance...She is the one who attracted me to the school....She is an awesome person. VCOM is very selective at choosing their applicants and granting you an interview means alot........:)

Congrats on your interview. Remember to stay calm, the interviews are conversational style and if you are prepared it will be easy. I was pretty nervous going in to my first interview because I didn't know what to expect. If you do get nervous, don't rush your answers take a deep breath, that is what I did, and I was able to recover and impress. If you have any questions about the interview, please PM me.

I am interviewing at VCOM on Monday 9/17! I just found out today, so I am trying to get ready!

I would recommend you guys visit the class of 2011 thread as it contains many useful information that were helpful to me and many of my friends.....it has tips on what to do on interview date and what to expect before you move to Blacksburg to become a medical student.....check it out

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interviewing at VCOM on Monday 9/17! I just found out today, so I am trying to get ready!

That's awesome! Congrats!! How was your interview? I hope it went well.

I'm interviewing Wed. 9/19. I've had butterflies in my stomach since I got the call last week!

How long after you submitted your secondaries did you get an interview invite. I just sent in my secondary this week and have my fingers crossed!

skimonkey,

you should hear back within a week or two, three at most.....at least thats what i heard from last year's cyle

Hey guys,

For those of you who are accepted, congrats. I'm presently a second year and live across the street from VCOM in the Crossing at Knollwood apartments. If any of you are interested in living at Knollwood or the Crossing, don't hesitate to personal message me. Also, if you tell the front office that Jonathan Smith referred you, I will give you half ($50) of the referral money they give me ($100). Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Jonathan Smith

Hi Jonathan,

I am an accepted student for the class of 2012. The chance to live so close to VCOM (in Knollwood or the Crossings) is something I am really interested in. I live in Boston, Ma so hopefully soon I will make it to VCOM to look at both places. Hope to hear back from you soon.

Hey everyone,

I recently interviewed at VCOM and it was amazing. I am really hoping that things went well for me and the people I was with. They really picked a great group of applicants and I would be happy to work with any of them. I am wondering if anyone heard anything thing from the admissions committee this week. I believe we were told that they would meet on the 28th and begin to let us know. Did anyone hear anything?

Gnugs,

I interviewed last week on the 17th and like you I felt it was amazing. My interviews went fantastic and all three of my interviewers were great. So was the rest of the faculty and staff. I have not heard anything either but it is still pretty early in the day. We were told that the adcom would meet on the 27th but from the looks of it they did not. I would assume they are meeting today (I Hope). I had a really great interview group and would be thrilled if they were all my clasmates next year. I'm glad your interview went good. Stay positive and we'll get through this!

You are right, I meant the 27th. Megan had told us we could call Thurs afternoon if we didn't hear anything. When I called down and the lady I spoke to in student services said everyone in admissions had left and most were going to a conference for a week. She did not have access to the admissions information so I guess this mean we will just find out by mail.

:) I was Navy guy there last week interviewing. I got the good news yesterday. Anybody else from that fine group of interviewees?

Cognrats on the acceptance. I didn't get a call. I am guessing this isn't good news for me but I am still holding out some hope.

Cognrats on the acceptance. I didn't get a call. I am guessing this isn't good news for me but I am still holding out some hope.

I interviewed with you on Monday and was accepted. I found out by calling. Megan and Bea are out of the office, however, "Katie" from student services informed me of the good news!

I wish you luck!!! Call and ask for Katie!:luck::luck::luck:

I was in your interview group ( on Monday )and found out that I have been accepted! I found out by calling. Megan and Bea are out of the office, however, "Katie" from student services informed me of the good news!

Wow!! Congrats everyone on your acceptances!!! For those who haven't heard definitely call them because I'm sure they don't mind! I got the wonderful news from Katie yesterday over the phone. I am so HAPPY!!! I interviewed on Wednesday, the 19th. Anyone here from my group on the 19th?

Thanks, I did call Katie on Thursday but I guess it was too late. She told me that everyone with any access to the admissions information had left and she couldn't help me. She didn't seem to know who I was so I am not sure what that means but Megan said that they wouldn't be able to call everyone. Hopefully I will hear when everyone gets back or through the mail.

Congrats to everyone that has heard the good news, hopefully I will be joining your group soon.

Congratulations everyone that was accepted!!! What an exciting time this is for you all.

I absolutely love VCOM and am so happy that I chose to come here for Medical School.

If anyone has any questions about classes, the area, housing don't hesistate to pm me..

Exigente:luck:

Alright, I was waiting for someone else to open this thread, but I can't wait to see who is joining me in the Class of 2012.

I'll be joining you Navy!! :D

Anyone start completing their new student paperwork yet? ( backround check, tuition/deposit form, etc? )

Anyone start completing their new student paperwork yet? ( backround check, tuition/deposit form, etc? )

Hey all!! I haven't started on the paperwork yet. Although, I know I should be starting soon. :) Does anyone have an idea when the proof of medical and life insurance is due? Those could take awhile to process so just wondering.

They will be due some time in April or May, at least for me, since I interviewed in February....and you can request an extension....I requested an extension till the end of June.....They are really open minded about this stuff. Just give them a a reason and they will take it.

Hope your process goes well.

They will be due some time in April or May, at least for me, since I interviewed in February....and you can request an extension....I requested an extension till the end of June.....They are really open minded about this stuff. Just give them a a reason and they will take it.

Hope your process goes well.

What about the backround check? When must it be completed?

Congratulations on the acceptances and interview invites. I am a current MSI and will be happy to answer any questions you guys may have (if I am able). Not a lot of time, but I check this about once a week, so shoot me a quick message and I will do my best.

Best of luck to all of you.

What about the backround check? When must it be completed?

that check is important...i would say complete it asap....its just one sheet of paper that needs to be filled out and thats it. It takes 2 mins to fill out and 3 weeks for processing....

that check is important...i would say complete it asap....its just one sheet of paper that needs to be filled out and thats it. It takes 2 mins to fill out and 3 weeks for processing....

O.K., I'll submit it today. Thanks.:)

Congrats to the acceptances! I sent in my secondary Oct 3rd, interviewed Oct 8th, accepted Oct 11th! I'm going to VCOM!!

I've created the facebook group "VCOM- Class of 2012" ;) Everyone that got accepted please join!!!

Hey, where are all of the VCOMERS :love:??? This thread is tooooo quiet!

Hey, congrats to all the new VCOMers!!! It's a great school and a really nice area.
I'm a DO/PhD student who will be moving next year and selling my house. If anyone is interested in buying a home in the area, let me know! I have a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house with a full unfinished basement which is just begging to be finished... I have a nice sized yard and am in a nice neighborhood. I can walk to the grocery store which is a nice study break and awesome in the winter. The house is in Christiansburg really close to both 81 and 460, so it is very convenient. It takes about 8 minutes to get to VCOM and I personally enjoyed getting away after school... :)
The mortgage is reasonable (cheaper than rent at the apartments across the street) and utilities are not bad at all. The first year I bought it I had 2 other roommates (VCOMers) which made it really cheap.
If you would like to talk more about it or want to come check it out, email me at [email protected]
Again, congrats and you made a good decision!

Hey, where are all of the VCOMERS :love:??? This thread is tooooo quiet!

It seems that the VCOM thread in pre-osteo is more active than this one........but wait a couple of more months and this thread will be going crazy!!

Find housing earlY!!!!!!!!!

Weeeeelll I am a vet student here at VMRCVM but I wanted to say hi to all you VCOM-ers here in B-burg! To the new guys, good luck! There are a few vet school/VCOM mixers throughout the year - feel free to come over and hang out with us!

VET students are so cool...u will wanna hang out with them!!!

Hey guys- have any of you thought about where you want to live? I think it would be nice to be able to walk to class...does anyone have any input on Knollwood, Knollwood Crossings or other apartments that are in walking distance?

I was in a Knollwood apartment after my interview and thought it was nice. They has a fireplace which was cool but thats probably where I would have wanted to put my TV! lol

Hey guys,

Im a first year at vcom and I stay at the crossing at knollwood. Its lovely waking up late and just walking over to class, takes me less than 4 minutes. The apartments are very nice, the ladies in the rental office are nice and helpful if you need anything and maintenance for me has been quick. The only thing to think about when deciding on the crossing at knollwood or knollwood is the price. When I went looking for apartments it was the most expensive apt I looked at but its worth it to me because of convienence and what it had to offer (tennis court, pool, work out facility, washer/ dryer in each unit so no coin laundry! woo hoo). You have to weigh your options tho, whatever works for you. If anyone is thinking about living here there is a referral bonus current residents get for getting others to sign up so give me a holler and I'll even split the bonus with you =) Any questions about anything (housing, classes, etc) just PM me

---Just wanted to make everyone aware that the insurance Proof of Coverage forms are now available on the VCOM class of 2012 website.---

Has anyone had any luck signing into VCOM e-mail?

Doesn't work for me.

weird- it just suddenly decided to work

Yea, I'm able to log in through the web based outlook but when I try to change the password, it asks me for a domain name which I have no clue what it is... pretty weird..

yea in the letter they say to email [email protected] in order to change the the password. When I emailed it they sent me an error report.

yea in the letter they say to email [email protected] in order to change the the password. When I emailed it they sent me an error report.

Yeah you have to email them in order to change the password!

The error report is normal. They usually receive the email and will respond back. Just make sure you put what you want your password to be in the email body! They wont take it over the phone.

Good luck!