VCOM-Blacksburg Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yep, good call. I did talk to Julianne Smartt and she said no changes for me yet; I was just wondering if anyone else was placed on a pre-interview hold and if their status changed at all.

I was on pre secondary hold and pre interview hold! Write the letter, thats what I did!

Members don't see this ad.

I was offered an interview for next week. Does anyone know if they reject a lot post interview. The lady on the phone said I had a good chance of getting something either this year or next year. Do they just put you on waitlist if accepted with a conditional for next year?

I originally interviewed in late March for the class of 2013 and was waitlisted. When the ranked waitlist came out in May I was offered an early acceptance for the class of 2014 if I didn't get off of the waitlist. Only a certain tier of people waitlisted get that offer.

I was offered an interview for next week. Does anyone know if they reject a lot post interview. The lady on the phone said I had a good chance of getting something either this year or next year. Do they just put you on waitlist if accepted with a conditional for next year?

Hey FutureDoc01, when are you interviewing at VCOM next week? I'm interviewing on Monday, February 28. Good luck on yours!

Members don't see this ad :)

Having interviewed there Feb 8 and heard back, the situation is this: they have given all the spots away for Fall 2011. What they are doing is interviewing you and deciding whether to put you on the waiting list. If they put you on the waiting list, you may be offered a spot someone gave up this cycle, be offered a spot for the next cycle, or be denied this year. Hope that helps.

Having interviewed there Feb 8 and heard back, the situation is this: they have given all the spots away for Fall 2011. What they are doing is interviewing you and deciding whether to put you on the waiting list. If they put you on the waiting list, you may be offered a spot someone gave up this cycle, be offered a spot for the next cycle, or be denied this year. Hope that helps.

Can you explain this? I didn't understand....So your either get waitlisted or rejected. If a spot openings for this year your in, but how do they decide who gets a spot for next year.

I interviewed today. I felt it went well and it was a wonderful experience.

Can you explain this? I didn't understand....So your either get waitlisted or rejected. If a spot openings for this year your in, but how do they decide who gets a spot for next year.

I interviewed today. I felt it went well and it was a wonderful experience.

So I was waitlisted because there are no open spots right now. Their only options post-interview are to put you on the waiting list or reject you. If they put you on the waiting list, they will rank you according to all the variables they look at: interview, personal statement, GPA, MCAT, etc. Then in the future (didn't get a timeline) they will let you know based on your rank whether a spot has opened for you (someone offered a spot previously denied it for another school), whether they will give you early admission for the next year (fall 2012), or whether they say sorry, good luck next year. Hope that makes more sense.

Received an interview invite today! I politely declined it so that someone reading this thread could have it. I was placed on a preinterview hold around Nov (thought you all would like to know that the preinterview waitlist is moving). Best of luck to everyone!

Just a friendly notice for any students that have been accepted to VCOM and is attending ASD next weekend to check your VCOM email for some important information. Also join the facebook group!!

I feel guilty holding on to more than one acceptance... If VCOMs deposit wasn't $1500 NONrefundable this decision would be alot easier. AH!

Just a friendly notice for any students that have been accepted to VCOM and is attending ASD next weekend to check your VCOM email for some important information. Also join the facebook group!!

Not on facebook but will be there next weekend. Looking forward to it.

Not on facebook but will be there next weekend. Looking forward to it.

Are you coming to any of the dinners on Friday night?! I think Bull and Bones might be a good choice ;). I think Jess will be hosting one of the dinners too. Let me know if you are coming or if you and your family would like to attend. See you next weekend :D!

they just invited me to do a secondary on friday... i'm wondering if i should even bother now

Last edited:
they just invited me to do a secondary on friday... i'm wondering if i should even bother now

Do it! The lady told me they take about 100 people on the waitlist. 20 of them will get in for this year and another 60 roughly will get early acceptance for next year! Thats a 80% chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
So after reading this thread it seems that my only chances are for a waitlist-acceptance or an acceptance for the next year. I just received an interview invite and am wondering whether it's worth going to. I hate to close the door on VCOM, because I am interested in it and have been since the beginning, but am not willing to wait until the 2016 class since I already have an acceptance at a school with which I am happy. Should I cancel my interview?

Do it! The lady told me they take about 100 people on the waitlist. 20 of them will get in for this year and another 60 roughly will get early acceptance for next year! Thats a 80% chance.

thanks!

I declined my interview, hopefully someone else gets a chance in my place. Good luck all!

I sent my secondary in first week of January and got the interview call on Monday

I have an interview... Do I need to wear a suit or would a professional dress be ok? Thank you for your help.

So I recieved at interview at VCOM. I'm working on my masters at another osteopathic med school. The first semester I got all A's and B's and two Cs. I have a 3.6 undergrad. How should I explain? We are taking the same classes as the med students and I just didn't realize what was expected of me and I bombed the first tests....

Opps.. Interview
What do you mean? C's happen, and even the most top tier medical schools in the country take people who've gotten C's before. It's no big deal really. If it comes up in an interview (which I doubt), then just say "ah yeah, I probably didn't study enough." Don't try to weasel your way out of it with excuses and you'll be fine. Honesty = best.

I have an interview... Do I need to wear a suit or would a professional dress be ok? Thank you for your help.
If you're a male, wear a suit and tie (doesn't have to be a black suit but most guys do wear black suits). If you're a female, a modest skirt and a nice shirt. And if you're a total baller and want to break the rules, do it with style and not with jeans and a long sleeve t-shirt.

Just an FYI to all those who couldnt attend accepted students day, first day of class is August 1st

hmm... unless they've changed it, this is different than what they told us. they said every year it is different for how many people get in for this year. some years several people will be able to get in and some years only a few. and we were told only the top tier of the waitlist gets an early acceptance for the following year. just different information that i got! not saying anyone's wrong! hope this helps with your decision

This August 1st starting date is throwing a kink in my plans. I am working a camp that won't be finished that early. I was going by their start date last year and thought it would be the same. I wonder where that extra week is being utilized...more class time or more time off somewhere down the line.

It is starting a week early to accommodate the Greenville campus and all th new demands there. That way, the Blacksburg campus can assist the Greenville campus. Therefore, I would imagine that there will be the same number of days, so Blacksburg will just get off earlier and start earlier........

It is starting a week early to accommodate the Greenville campus and all th new demands there. That way, the Blacksburg campus can assist the Greenville campus. Therefore, I would imagine that there will be the same number of days, so Blacksburg will just get off earlier and start earlier........

we won't be getting out any sooner. we are starting a week sooner than the spartanburg campus and getting out at the same time. 1st day in August to last friday in june is what they just posted on the website

Last edited:
we won't be getting out any sooner. we are starting a week sooner than the spartanburg campus and getting out at the same time. hopefully that means we get an extra week break in there somewhere?? 1st day in August to last friday in june is what they just posted on the website
can you post a link to the academic calendar for 2011-2012?

we won't be getting out any sooner. we are starting a week sooner than the spartanburg campus and getting out at the same time. hopefully that means we get an extra week break in there somewhere?? 1st day in August to last friday in june is what they just posted on the website

Thanks for the info, and for popping my balloon of hopes.

Have anyone heard anything about the waitlist movement?...wondering if they finished with their interview process.

Did anyone here apply through their Early Decision Track? I'm heavily leaning towards doing so, and was hoping people who dud do that could tell me their stats if they didn't mind. Let me know I'd appreciate it, you can PM me. Thanks!

i'm more concerned with when we're done, because a friend is getting married next june. thanks for the directions.

Have anyone heard anything about the waitlist movement?...wondering if they finished with their interview process.

I'm not aplying this year, but i went to their open house last week, supposidly they have about 60 on the waiting list?

unless i misheard, i think they said they will posting the block calendar for 2011-2012 near the beginning of april. i can't wait to see when block breaks are. and hopefully you'll be able to make it to your friends wedding in june!

I'm not aplying this year, but i went to their open house last week, supposidly they have about 60 on the waiting list?

Thanks SG3, thats not too bad of a number compared to alot of other medical schools. I wish I applied for early decision at VCOM because I doubt I would be on the waitlist if I done so, especially with my scores. My advice to you is to apply to early decision because you would be ahead of the game.

I applied to VCOM in the middle of January since I was waiting to get into Cornell School of medicine, but got rejected after the interview. Wish I would had applied to more than one school back in 2010 fall lol

Thanks SG3, thats not too bad of a number compared to alot of other medical schools. I wish I applied for early decision at VCOM because I doubt I would be on the waitlist if I done so, especially with my scores. My advice to you is to apply to early decision because you would be ahead of the game.

I applied to VCOM in the middle of January since I was waiting to get into Cornell School of medicine, but got rejected after the interview. Wish I would had applied to more than one school back in 2010 fall lol
that was a huge mistake

I'm interviewing April 5th! Any prep suggestions?

Be yourself...it was the most relaxing interview I ever been on. In mines, out of the hour and a half of interviewing with the 3 faculty members, we talked about medicine for only 10 minutes and the rest of the time we talked about sports and the things I like to do outside of healthcare. Oh yea, make sure you know everything you put in your application because they will reference it throughout the talk somehow lol

unless i misheard, i think they said they will posting the block calendar for 2011-2012 near the beginning of april. i can't wait to see when block breaks are. and hopefully you'll be able to make it to your friends wedding in june!

Just a little word to the wise. While they may put the block calendar out in early April, it is NOT set in stone. So if you book or make any big plans just do it with the caution that they may change it. We were supposed to get out June 10th and part way through block 2 it got changed to June 17th. People had already made plans and I was applying for a research position, and had to withdraw because our summer wasn't going to be long enough for the position. So just an FYI VCOM does reserve the right to change it at any time if necessary to accommodate academics. So even if it does come out in April, it can change in May, June, July, October or whenever.

has this thread been so dead because the class has been filled for a while?

I just spoke with the admissions office and withdrew from the seat I have been holding. Hopefuly one of you gets a call today from the waitlist and are able to attend this awesome school in the fall. Best of luck!:)

Did anyone else on the waitlist get an updated email from VCOM today that asked if you selected both campuses on your secondary application, that you have to select either VCOM or BOTH campuses again through an email reply.

I'm kinda iffy on my reply because I never visited the Spartanbug campus before and can't even compare it to the Blacksburg campus. Have anyone went to Spartanburg, SC before?

I got the same message...did some research into crime at Spartansburg and it looks like it is one rough town with lots of crime. I'm not sure what to do yet

Originally Posted by danznchandee16
so i went to spartanburg to look at the area. the school is located in a very bad section of town! i then looked up the stats on crime in spartanburg and it is much, much higher than the national average. so i guess i have to factor safety into choosing between the VA or SC campus as well. i do hope that they fence in the school so that when students leave at night, they will be a little safer walking to their cars!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub86
I live pretty close to Spartanburg, and I have to say that I'm quite surprised the school was built on Howard Street. It's notorious for shootings, prostitution, drugs, and other sorts of issues. Here's an article about how dangerous the area is: http://www2.wspa.com/news/2010/mar/0...eets-ar-47966/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius1984
Yea I interviewed at VCOM-Blacksburg and I'm a michigan resident. I'm currently on the VCOM waitlist though, and just got an email asking me if I want to be considered for a spot at VCOM-CC....Never visited Spartanburg, so I don't know what I should do.

I got the same message...did some research into crime at Spartansburg and it looks like it is one rough town with lots of crime. I'm not sure what to do yet

Someone posted this link on the second page of the Carolina thread. I've been there before also, and it's not a great neighborhood. Houses across the street are boarded up, etc. It's too bad they didn't build the school in a better area, especially because I hear the Virginia campus is in a much better neighborhood. There is some discussion about this over in the Carolina thread.

I hear the Virginia campus wait list moves a lot in mid/late May due to there being 2 MD schools nearby, and May 15 being the deadline for MD applicants to commit to a school. Hold tight & believe! :)

Yea I heard the same thing, but then again being on both waitlist inceases our chances of getting off the waitlist for the 2015 class.