VCOM-Blacksburg Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VA1986

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd make a thread for the Blacksburg campus applicants.

yeah, there are three different threads for VCOM here. I'm a little confused. :confused:

has anyone applied early decision to VCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I applied regular decision. When do they invite for interviews?

I applied for the Early Admission track. I really hope they call me for an interview. Does anyone know when we should be expecting a call or an email?

I wonder if they except all their EDP students. i wonder how its been in the past.

I hope we all get in!!

Where is everyone from? OUT OF STATE OR VA residents?

Last edited:
I just got the complete email this morning. It states, "We will begin reviewing completed applications in early August and will schedule our first interviews for early decision applicants in mid-September and for our general application pool in early-October". I guess its just a waiting game now :xf:

I applied for the Early Admission track. I really hope they call me for an interview. Does anyone know when we should be expecting a call or an email?

I wonder if they except all their EDP students. i wonder how its been in the past.

I hope we all get in!!

Where is everyone from? OUT OF STATE OR VA residents?

From VA with strong ties to VCOM. Went to VT undergrad, 2 LORs from VCOM faculty, family members attending there, as well as a lot of friends there. Also attended lectures and training events at the campus and worked in a lab on the research campus next door to VCOM. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to hear back from this one. Good luck everybody!

VeeTeeHokies, did you apply for the early admission track. your ties to VCOM are pretty strong...
I don't think you even have to worry for anything. Looks like you'll get in for sure. Do you mind sharing your MCAT and GPA score..

I have a super low score! and 3.43 GPA

VeeTeeHokies, did you apply for the early admission track. your ties to VCOM are pretty strong...
I don't think you even have to worry for anything. Looks like you'll get in for sure. Do you mind sharing your MCAT and GPA score..

I have a super low score! and 3.43 GPA

3.5 cGPA, 3.61 sGPA, 27N MCAT. More info on my ECs on my MDApps and some older posts if you're interested. And yeah it all sounds grand, but if I've learned anything about this process it's that it's all luck of the draw. We'll see how it goes.

As far as your GPA, might hurt you a bit because they're big on GPA over MCAT. I believe average MCAT was slightly above a 25 with an average GPA of ~3.6 for undergrads admitted last year. I know a lot of people there with very subpar MCATs and great GPAs.

edit: And no, I did not do the early admissions track. VCOM is near the top of my list, but they aren't THE top choice school on my list. I didn't want to limit myself for some of the other programs that have really captivated me as well.

From my rejection letter, and for your benefit:

Specifically, we look for a cumulative science GPA over 3.30; and competitive applicants present a science GPA at or above our average of 3.50. When calculating the science GPA, VCOM places an emphasis on the last 120 credit hours.

Im sorry to hear that Painmd87. Did you get the rejection letter before or after your secondary application? What was your GPA and MCAT. Im super worried.
From my rejection letter, and for your benefit:

Im sorry to hear that Painmd87. Did you get the rejection letter before or after your secondary application? What was your GPA and MCAT. Im super worried.

Pre-secondary, so I appreciate that they didn't make me waste the $50 or whatever.

Although it was somewhat of an eye-roll on my part because it said, in essence, 'one way to improve your science gpa is with a special masters program. here is a link to ours!'

sGPA was 2.8, so I was screened on that. MCAT 28Q wasn't enough to make up for it, I guess!

3.5 cGPA, 3.61 sGPA, 27N MCAT. More info on my ECs on my MDApps and some older posts if you're interested. And yeah it all sounds grand, but if I've learned anything about this process it's that it's all luck of the draw. We'll see how it goes.

As far as your GPA, might hurt you a bit because they're big on GPA over MCAT. I believe average MCAT was slightly above a 25 with an average GPA of ~3.6 for undergrads admitted last year. I know a lot of people there with very subpar MCATs and great GPAs.

edit: And no, I did not do the early admissions track. VCOM is near the top of my list, but they aren't THE top choice school on my list. I didn't want to limit myself for some of the other programs that have really captivated me as well.

Hey Vee-Tee,
So I have a q for you, you might know the answer - my stats are as follow:

27Q MCAT (my highest combined MCAT = 28R)
3.09 SCI GPA (overall)
3.05 cum GPA (overall)
4.00 Post Bac
4.00 Masters (at Johns Hopkins)

Do you know if they will take into consideration that I have done super well since I graduated from college? I am a non traditional applicant with two years of experience in the engineering field and six years of experience teaching ( I graduated college in 2007). I was granted a secondary, so I don't know what the screening process is like for them.

Also, a q about the secondary - it says to keep our responses to half a page - I want to make sure I'm not exceeding their limit - do you know if it's single spaced or double spaced? Any ideas? My word counts for the essays are 296, 211, and 359.

Last q - can we send as many letters as we want, or should we only send two? I have three letters from professors, one from my supervisor at my teaching position, and one from a DO.

Thanks!!
~Tarun

Members don't see this ad :)
Last q - can we send as many letters as we want, or should we only send two? I have three letters from professors, one from my supervisor at my teaching position, and one from a DO.

Thanks!!
~Tarun

I would send them all in. They told me that it would be included and reviewed as part of my application.

Hey Vee-Tee,
So I have a q for you, you might know the answer - my stats are as follow:

27Q MCAT (my highest combined MCAT = 28R)
3.09 SCI GPA (overall)
3.05 cum GPA (overall)
4.00 Post Bac
4.00 Masters (at Johns Hopkins)

Do you know if they will take into consideration that I have done super well since I graduated from college? I am a non traditional applicant with two years of experience in the engineering field and six years of experience teaching ( I graduated college in 2007). I was granted a secondary, so I don't know what the screening process is like for them.

Also, a q about the secondary - it says to keep our responses to half a page - I want to make sure I'm not exceeding their limit - do you know if it's single spaced or double spaced? Any ideas? My word counts for the essays are 296, 211, and 359.

Thanks!!
~Tarun

Well I'm no expert on any of this stuff but....

1. I definitely think they'll take into account your overwhelming success at the postgrad level. You killed your postbacc and masters (they have an MPH partnership with Hopkins so that may even play in your favor).

2. When I filled out the secondaries, I just made sure that no two essays overflowed into a second page. I'm sure going a little over on one and a little under on another is no big deal, they just don't want you going overboard.

3. Send as many letters as you have, it can't hurt you to give them as much information as possible to work with. Unless of course that information portrays you in a negative light, of course.

Good Luck!

Well I'm no expert on any of this stuff but....

1. I definitely think they'll take into account your overwhelming success at the postgrad level. You killed your postbacc and masters (they have an MPH partnership with Hopkins so that may even play in your favor).

2. When I filled out the secondaries, I just made sure that no two essays overflowed into a second page. I'm sure going a little over on one and a little under on another is no big deal, they just don't want you going overboard.

3. Send as many letters as you have, it can't hurt you to give them as much information as possible to work with. Unless of course that information portrays you in a negative light, of course.

Good Luck!

Great, thanks! I hope we make it into the c/o 2015! This school is definitely one of my top choices!

I applied for the EDP as well. I have some similar stats. I'm planning on retaking my MCAT in Sept due my crappy score. Have you heard anything from VCOM lately?:)

Same here and I am so not ready to take the MCAT. I feel like I don't remember anything.
I haven't heard anything back. Im just hoping they call me the Interview!!

Are you from VA?

JD

Same here and I am so not ready to take the MCAT. I feel like I don't remember anything.
I haven't heard anything back. Im just hoping they call me the Interview!!

Are you from VA?

JD

Im feeling the same about the MCAT I'm going to take in Sept...lol. Yes, I live in Hampton. I haven't heard anything back since I submitted the secondary on 8.15. Are you from VA?

Hey everyone!

Good luck with your application process and to those with early acceptances congratulations! I just wanted to stop by and let you guys know that if you have any questions about anything feel free to PM me or just post on here because someone else may have the same question. I am a first year student here at VCOM so I will try to help you guys if I can. Again good luck and congrats!!

Hi Danaling12,

Couple of questions for you.

How many students are in your class?
If it's a larger size, how close are you with your peers (study groups, extracurriculars, etc.)?
What separated VCOM from the others schools you applied to?
How are the living conditions?

(For anyone) Have you taken any OMT courses? If so, what was your first impression vs. your thoughts about OMT at the end of the course?

Thanks for your time. I hope to have a chance to meet you next year.

Hi Danaling12,

Couple of questions for you.

How many students are in your class?
If it's a larger size, how close are you with your peers (study groups, extracurriculars, etc.)?
What separated VCOM from the others schools you applied to?
How are the living conditions?

(For anyone) Have you taken any OMT courses? If so, what was your first impression vs. your thoughts about OMT at the end of the course?

Thanks for your time. I hope to have a chance to meet you next year.

Hey Tottil,

Our class has 189 students.

As for how close we are....well its only the third week of class so we are still getting to know each other and making friends. However, our class has certainly shown that we can pull together. We have a classmate who is expecting a baby this week, and we as a class pitched in to raise over $400 to help her by some things she needed for her baby. Quite a few people know each other from being at virginia tech and doing the vcom post-bacc program.

Most clubs and organizations do not start meetings until September, but a couple groups have done a few programs. For example, the other day the student osteopathic surgeon association (SOSA) had a splits and sutures workshop for first year students. We had banana splits, and then we learned some suturing techniques and practiced on the bananas.

I chose VCOM because of the family/friendly atmosphere, and it just fit/felt more comfortable for me. I originally had an acceptance to PCOM in Philly, but I am not really a city girl and jumped at the opportunity when I had my VCOM acceptance. Granted I had to take a year off, but it was worth it to me.

Living conditions are amazing, and the cost living is so cheap (especially compared to NJ). It is great if you like the outdoors and living near a college town. You do have to travel a little to find somethings, but that hasn't bothered me. If you have any other questions please let me know! Hope this helps!!

~ Dana

Dana,

Thanks for the info. Glad to see the school has activities for the students. It sounds like a great community, and I have never been interested in city life, so it seems like a nice fit.
I also like the larger class size.

Hope the baby gets big and strong.

I'll probably shoot more questions at you as time progresses. Thanks again.

-Tom

Hey there! I was wondering if anyone was planning on attending the open house on 9/25?

got the email stating that I'm wait listed for an interview. Does anyone have any experience with getting off the exile list sry i mean the wait list and getting an interview?

got the email stating that I'm wait listed for an interview. Does anyone have any experience with getting off the exile list sry i mean the wait list and getting an interview?

Hey,

I was initially waitlisted for an interview in mid-September. I eventually got an interview in March, and was waitlisted after my interview, and received an early admission for this year's class if I didn't get off the waitlist for the c/o 2013. So all I can say is don't give up hope because it can def work out.

Hey,

I was initially waitlisted for an interview in mid-September. I eventually got an interview in March, and was waitlisted after my interview, and received an early admission for this year's class if I didn't get off the waitlist for the c/o 2013. So all I can say is don't give up hope because it can def work out.

Hi danaling,
could you share you GPA, MCAT and other health care experience with us.
thanks

Hi danaling,
could you share you GPA, MCAT and other health care experience with us.
thanks

Sure no problem,

MCAT 1st attempt- 25P, 2nd attempt- 27Q
GPA- 3.64, Science 3.45 (don't quote me on this its been a while).
I was an intern with the World Health Organization for a summer in Geneva, Switzerland, and worked in Foodborne Diseases.
I also volunteered in the PACU of an ER for a summer
I also grew up and went to college in rural/appalachian PA

Other than that some ECAs I had were:
- Penn State Women's Basketball Manager for 4 years
- Freshman Biology Tutor
- Worked as a banquet server every summer

Let me know if you have any other questions. Always happy to help!

Has anyone gotten a call or email from VCOM for interviews? I applied for main campus and haven't heard anything. Its already 7th. Carolina campus applicants received calls.. what about VA campus.

Has anyone gotten a call or email from VCOM for interviews? I applied for main campus and haven't heard anything. Its already 7th. Carolina campus applicants received calls.. what about VA campus.

I haven't heard anything as well. I hope we hear something soon. I'm getting really nervous.

I attended the Spring open house and I am going for an interview next week. They just sent me an email inviting me to the open house though... Will I be looked down upon if I do not attend?

i've been complete since before july 15th... when are they gonna start invites!?!

anyone else itching to call?

i've been complete since before july 15th... when are they gonna start invites!?!

anyone else itching to call?

In the "complete" e-mail they sent me in August, it said that early decision applicants will be interviewed in September and regular decision applicants will be interviewed in October. So, I guess they are trying to interview the early decision applicants and then they will get to the other applicants. I am not sure what is taking so long though....I guess we will just have to wait...

yeah, it said that. they need to invite people to interview in order for that to happen though. haha

Sure no problem,

MCAT 1st attempt- 25P, 2nd attempt- 27Q
GPA- 3.64, Science 3.45 (don't quote me on this its been a while).
I was an intern with the World Health Organization for a summer in Geneva, Switzerland, and worked in Foodborne Diseases.
I also volunteered in the PACU of an ER for a summer
I also grew up and went to college in rural/appalachian PA

Other than that some ECAs I had were:
- Penn State Women's Basketball Manager for 4 years
- Freshman Biology Tutor
- Worked as a banquet server every summer

Let me know if you have any other questions. Always happy to help!
You have good mcat/sGPA and EC. I am surprised seeing you are waitlisted.
anys it ended well for you.

yeah, it said that. they need to invite people to interview in order for that to happen though. haha

Its 10th! OMG VA START CALLING!!!!!!! This is making me so mad. I don't understand whats holding them back..
can someone please update here as soon as they receive a call for interview or no interview..
Thanks guys
JD

Its 10th! OMG VA START CALLING!!!!!!! This is making me so mad. I don't understand whats holding them back..
can someone please update here as soon as they receive a call for interview or no interview..
Thanks guys
JD
haha FASHO!

Anyone thinking of calling and asking admissions when they are planning on calling EDP and regular applicants for Interviews?

I was given an update at August 31st, important points of the e-mail, "pre-interview hold ... are interested in your candidacy ... will be reviewed further." Since it happened so early I don't know if that means I am on hold for an interview which they are waiting to send out after EDP decisions or if I am just on hold in general and they have given out invites to regular admissions people already.

Hey.. I applied for EDP and completed my application Aug 4th.. I haven't heard anything for an Interview. I applied for the VA main campus. I heard from couple VA tech students, that they already started interviewing...
I really dont what's going on..just want them to call

Hey.. I applied for EDP and completed my application Aug 4th.. I haven't heard anything for an Interview. I applied for the VA main campus. I heard from couple VA tech students, that they already started interviewing...
I really dont what's going on..just want them to call

Why don't you just call or email and ask where they are in the process? I"m not early decision, so I was told those non-EDP wouldn't be interviewed until October, but the admission office is really nice- just contact them!

Hi guys! I received a phone call regarding an interview on Sept 22. I hope everyone hears soon.:)