VCOM-Blacksburg Discussion Thread 2010-11

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am interviewing at VCOM on 11/15 and wondering if anyone else was! If so, let me know if you'd like to meet up for dinner or anything, and if anyone is flying in to Roanoke on 11/13 and driving, I'd pitch in for gas for a ride! Please PM me!

I'm interviewing that day but I'm only two hours away so I'm driving there that morning and driving back right after.

Members don't see this ad.

current 1st years, when did you guys get a book list for classes? heard you shouldn't buy them all and just wait and see which ones you really need?? what do you think?

You'll find some complainers at every medical school; some are just more vocal than others. We have several here, all you need to do is look at last year's application thread to see all the drama that went down. Those people got shot down pretty hard by other students who called them out on their BS.

They'll complain about VCOM's faculty, curriculum changes, testing changes, and the like. They will also complain about how cold and windy Blacksburg is, how there is no culture here compared to D.C., that there is nothing to do here, that this place is full of rednecks, and why the person sitting next to them seems to never wear deodorant. My point is, med students get stressed out, and some of them turn to negativity as a defense mechanism. I like VCOM. Virtually everyone else I speak to also has a positive view of VCOM. Of course the school has some problems like any other institution, but this year has been smoother than the last.

My advice to you is not to get too worried over 1st and 2nd year problems. The only variable that matters in the first two years is your own hard work. Bad professors, poor facilities, and a terrible location will not affect your Step 1 scores like your own ability to learn independently and efficiently. The most important thing any med school can offer to you is good clinical rotations, and VCOM seems to do pretty well in that regard. There are several schools out there that will dazzle interviewees with marble flooring, gigantic flat screen TVs in the anatomy lab, and a free tablet PC for every med student. Those are all nice things, but it won't matter if the med school has awful rotation sites. Your clinical knowledge is what will set you apart as a physician, not your bookwork in the first two years.

:wtf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Book list came out I think just before classes in June? I don’t remember though exactly. I didn’t get any books except Anatomy atlas. The review books seem to be the best book to get, for me anyways. Lippincott biochemistry, microbiology made ridiculously easy etc. Depends on the type of person you are. All information tested comes from the lecture notes anyway.

Vcom is a great place. I personally have not had any problems with schedule or testing or anything related to changes. We had one change to the schedule that didn't really matter. If you choose VCOM you'll be happy.

Did you block it out already?

Take a look at the last few pages of that thread. A member of your own class took care of your melodrama.

How are rotations, btw?

If you interpret a few competing viewpoints as my being "shot down pretty hard," then so be it. I offered concrete examples of the kind of foolishness that had become "the norm" at VCOM. Are things miraculously better this year? I don't really know because I'm not there day in and day out. I would be very surprised if things have improved significantly.

It doesn't take many neurons to figure out why more people don't post negative comments about VCOM on this forum. Did you block out the post about how the dean berated a student for posting something negative on here? It was a well-known fact that administrators viewed these forums.

How are rotations? Great. I've met very few residents (who are former students), attendings, and administrative personnel who have anything good to say about VCOM. I don't interject my thoughts, but it does make me feel good to know that I'm not the only person who thinks there are problems.

If you interpret a few competing viewpoints as my being "shot down pretty hard," then so be it. I offered concrete examples of the kind of foolishness that had become "the norm" at VCOM. Are things miraculously better this year? I don't really know because I'm not there day in and day out. I would be very surprised if things have improved significantly.

It doesn't take many neurons to figure out why more people don't post negative comments about VCOM on this forum. Did you block out the post about how the dean berated a student for posting something negative on here? It was a well-known fact that administrators viewed these forums.

How are rotations? Great. I've met very few residents (who are former students), attendings, and administrative personnel who have anything good to say about VCOM. I don't interject my thoughts, but it does make me feel good to know that I'm not the only person who thinks there are problems.
Are you trying to serve some higher purpose?

It seems like a nice school in a great place. Why so much negativity?

c'mon, lets not go through a bash fest of vcom in this thread like last cycles. look at the old thread or use PMs.

Do you have a specific problem, or are you just being negative in general? Specifics would help.

current 1st years, when did you guys get a book list for classes? heard you shouldn't buy them all and just wait and see which ones you really need?? what do you think?

Hey there, I'm another 1st year so if anyone has any questions let me know. The book list wasn't given to us till July. Personally, I buy them all because of my scholarship allows me to, but I know I haven't opened 80% of them. All books are in the library so I haven't found much need to have them at home even if I did need books. Hope this helps!

Hey all... I have an interview for 11/10. I live in NC and will probably get a hotel the night before so I won't have to wake up at like 4 in the morning and drive (3.5 hrs away). If anyone else will be down during that time maybe we can meet up!

When did you get the call to schedule your interview dr1234?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you get the call to schedule your interview dr1234?

I got the call on Nov. 1 around 3pm. My secondary was in and complete on Oct 26. It was a pretty quick turn-around.

Just got the call for an interview this morning...finally I hear something :D

I have read on some of these threads that VCOM has nice, new facilities and good technology. However, I can't seem to find what technologies they have...ie. do they have simulation robots, etc? Any thoughts on what VCOM has to offer in terms of technology would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I have read on some of these threads that VCOM has nice, new facilities and good technology. However, I can't seem to find what technologies they have...ie. do they have simulation robots, etc? Any thoughts on what VCOM has to offer in terms of technology would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yes, VCOM does have new technologies. I just got back from an interview there a few days ago--they have 5 simulation robots (I guess you can call them that, although don't tell Dwight Schrute). One is a woman, Noelle, who actually gives birth to a newborn, one is a neonatal, one is a 6-month old baby, and one is called SimMan 3G, who can sweat, bleed, and even allows you to inject him with anything because he has a radiolabel and can tell you if your diagnosis was correct. Their anatomy lab is state of the art--air recycles every 12 min, and all the tables have circulation that suck down, so no fumes go in your face. OMM labs are nice and have computer stations on wall outside so you can review charts and post notes after exams. Lecture halls are nice and big, and the Va Tech campus is gorgeous and offers a good study library

and there is a TV inside the OMM labs so you can see close up what the professor is doing. There is also VCOM TV if you can't go to class one day. I think mcp6g covered everything else that I know of!

Interviewing here soon, any tips from anyone...this is my top chocie

Should check out the interview feedback thread for sure. It is pretty much like most have said with two interviews laid back discussing your app, etc. and then one interviewer grilling you about your weaknesses, ethical questions, etc. It is a long day too from 8:30 until 3:00.

Interviewing here soon, any tips from anyone...this is my top chocie

No real big worries for interview day...I interviewed last Tuesday--pretty laid back. You start with about 30 mins of intro to the school and overview, then you break into 3 interviews. You will see a matrix of the people you interview with. I have done a lot of research in the past, so it seemed--at least to me--that many of my interviews were research-focused. My second interviewer was a little more inquisitive and hardcore, but the other two were straight convo's. I got a few questions on the current health care debate, so know a small fraction of that--basically, just what you think is wrong. Other than that, just don't remain overly quiet during group time and have fun!

Can anyone tell me about how long you were complete before they called for an interview? Also, it seems like invites are only coming by phone, correct?

Yep, interview invites are by phone and it seems invites vary from two weeks to a month after complete.

Just got the call for an interview for Monday 11/15! Where are people staying. Should be a fun 9 hour drive for me!

Just got the call for an interview for Monday 11/15! Where are people staying. Should be a fun 9 hour drive for me!

Congrats kygirl! I guess you got the answer to your question a couple posts up, haha. When did you receive your "complete" email if you don't mind me asking?

On tuesday. So it was a very quick turn around for me.

Holiday Inn is nice in Blacksburg and with VCOM discount is $79. It is located right across from V. Tech campus.

I was accepted into the class of 2015!! Got the call today around 3pm :D

I stayed at the Microtel Inn and Suites in Christianburg it was $60 in total with taxes and all. It took me literally three minutes to get to campus!!

Good luck to everyone :thumbup:

Congrats Dr1234! It's a great school isn't it. Hopefully I will get a chance to join you.

Some people say it takes a witch to turn a person inside out. These people obviously haven't gone through med school applications...This wait is brutal!

Does anyone here know if the curriculum is systems based or standard?

ACCEPTED!!!!! Very excited....we will see how the rest of the apps pan out. I agree...waiting is MUCH harder than even the pre-req classes.

I just sent in my app, are my chances really low now?

I just sent in my app, are my chances really low now?

Depends on your stats. I do not think it is OVERLY late, but it definitely would have helped if you had sent it in a few months ago. Regardless, the turn around time is quick, and if you answered your essays well-enough, you got a good shot

Congrats to everyone who has been accepted and to those who have upcoming interviews I wish you the best of luck!! If I can provide any help don't hesitate to ask or PM me. Also join the FB group and you can meet other students and first years like me to help you prepare for medical school! YAY!:D

Also accepted yesterday :) I plan to go through the rest of this cycle to see what happens, but I'm IS and pretty much loved everything about the school. Actually interviewed today at a MD school that gave me a horrible feeling/impression. On the other hand, I definitely felt the "great fit for me" feeling at VCOM.

Thinking about coming back for a second visit later on when the M1s and M2s aren't on break. Has anyone else done this in the past? Anyone think Adcom would have an issue? I know the Adcom office is full of plenty of insanely nice people, so hopefully they won't mind me taking a random look.

I know the school reports they offer plenty of early clinical exposure...does anyone know specifics on what they are? Thanks.

Hey Everyone - I finished my secondary and was complete on 10/26. I got an email the other day that read "We recently reviewed your file for an interview. Our committee decided not to immediately proceed with your file and grant you an interview. They are, however, interested in your candidacy and asked that your file be placed on hold for further review. Specifically they will re-review your file after we receive the MCAT scores from your most recent or upcoming examination." Has anyone else gotten this email or anyone from last years cycle know of anyone being accepted after receiving this initial email?? I hope it works out positively b/c VCOM is one of my top choices...

In order to help those who read this and can add any insight here are my stats:
cumGPA: 3.31
sciGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 21R (brutal, I know) and retaking in Jan 2011

I am more or less a non-trad applicant having an English degree earned in 2004 with about 2.5 yrs work experience before going back to take my pre-reqs and apply to med school. I have strong LORs from professors, an MD, a DO, and a community service supervisor. I have spent time shadowing a DO as well as allo physician, volunteered at a hospital and community health clinic, and also been an elementary school tutor for the past couple years so I feel like my extra curriculars are pretty decent. Any insight/advice/words of wisdom would be great!

English-

We are in the same boat. I can't give you words of wisdom, but I can empathize.

I think what they are telling you is they will re-review your application once you get that mcat score in, which will be mid to late February if I'm not mistaken.

The waiting is tough, but it certainly beats a "no thanks". I really like this school too, so I hope things work out for both of us.

Here's to hoping for the best :xf:

Good luck!

Hey English2MD and Tottil,

I am currently a first year at VCOM, and the one thing I can tell you is to not give up! I applied for the c/o 2013, and my application was put on hold in early September. I interviewed and was accepted and planned on going elsewhere. I went all the way until March before they called me for an interview, and while I didn't get in because the class was full, I was offered early acceptance to 2014. VCOM completely changed my mind. So here I am as a first med student at VCOM vs. being a second year somewhere else, and I know it was the best decision I could have made for myself. My recommendations would be to try to write a LOI, and with the MCAT there isn't much to do but wait. However, I believe people in my class got in with scores lower than your first score (so just deep breath and relax, you'll do great!).

Another suggestion would be to see if VCOM is traveling to your area at any point to speak to any colleges. Bea came to my roommate's college and she too had been put on hold. She went up and just introduced herself to Ms. Jones after the presentation, and said she had applied and had been put on hold. Bea said she would pull her file and look at it, and a few days later my roommate received a phone call for an interview.

So don't give up....don't ever give up hope (Jimmy V.)

Good luck!!

Does anyone know why they limit the amount of financial aid?

Does anyone know why they limit the amount of financial aid?

I'm pretty sure the Director in fin aid said they limit how much you can take because they want to prevent you from having debt up to your eyeballs, in some fashion or another :p. He was pretty clear cut that the budget they have posted is the all out, overly luxurious lifestyle that you won't need while in school. Nonetheless, you can still work with them to figure something out, and it seemed like they were really helpful about giving you specific scholarship info.

Anyone have any idea about their statistics as far as number interviewed vs. number accepted? Told we would get a call on Thursday. So nervous!

Anyone have any idea about their statistics as far as number interviewed vs. number accepted? Told we would get a call on Thursday. So nervous!

i believe if you get an interview then they believe you have what it takes to do well in medical school. they want to see if you are a good fit for the school, if you handle yourself appropriately and professionally during an interview, and how much knowledge you have on osteopathy and the medical field and general, and if you truly seem to want to learn about medicine. so as long as you interview well, you have a great chance of getting accepted! i wish all of you interviewing soon the very best of luck! hope you get to join the rest of us in the class of 2015!:)