Vanderbilt University School of Medicine Class of 2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've never heard anything bad about the clinical rotations at Vandy...it seems to not prevent the students from landing choice residencies. It is really difficult for med students and much more so for premeds to judge the experience of working in a public hospital (Grady in ATL, the MED at UT-memphis) vs. doing rotations mostly at private hospitals (a la Vandy or Stanford).

Members don't see this ad.

i'm not premed, but I recently interviewed at vandy for phd. I absolutely LOVE vandy, everyone is so nice, cooperative, happy, and very non-elitist. we toured the children's hospital and it is sooo gorgeous. their imagining center is pretty great (3 fmri's, with one being a tesla-7).

re: public versus private hospitals. yes you learn to master more scut work at short-staffed public hospitals. but, does it really matter how good you are at putting an IV in? if you need to master it, you will in residency. however, the best people at putting IVs in at any hospital are either the residents or nurses. attendings/long time physicians rarely do them. in med school, you're learning the science of medicine and you're trying out different specialties. you master the skills of your field in residency. public vs private hospital for med school isn't going to make or break you. it might take you a couple more weeks before you hit the IV as consistently as the public hospital trained interns. by the end of residency, you all will likely be in the same place skill-wise. look further than med school graduation when you're considering these things.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, well first off, congrats for all of us, Vandy is a phenomenal school and we all should be pumped.

Well I started a thread awhile ago about the Nashville area, coming from the Northeast I have my reservations, but keep hearing positive things. I was wondering if others have any reservations about Nashville. I am even interested in seeing if any of us have similar concerns or notions about Nashville/TN prior to revisit.

Lets start to share some thoughts, there is no doubt that the education is going to be amazing, but what about lifestyle/location/diversity?

Good luck with making your decisions, see you during revisit!

Hey guys, well first off, congrats for all of us, Vandy is a phenomenal school and we all should be pumped.

Well I started a thread awhile ago about the Nashville area, coming from the Northeast I have my reservations, but keep hearing positive things. I was wondering if others have any reservations about Nashville. I am even interested in seeing if any of us have similar concerns or notions about Nashville/TN prior to revisit.

Lets start to share some thoughts, there is no doubt that the education is going to be amazing, but what about lifestyle/location/diversity?

Good luck with making your decisions, see you during revisit!

MFrig, I can totally understand your reservations about Nashville. I am originally from Maryland and had those same types of feelings when I first decided to come to Vanderbilt for undergrad. I will be honest when I tell you that it did take me a while to get assimilated to Vanderbilt, but I don't know how much that had to do with Nashville than with the transition to college in general. I went to a big, public, and very diverse high school and I think my biggest issue was getting used to being at a small, rather elite private school. I also did not like being so far away from home.

That being said, Nashville has grown on me and I even chose to stay in Nashville after graduation to continue on with my research at the medical center. There are lots of great things about the city. Because it is smaller there is less crime, and you feel a lot safer walking around campus than you would at schools in a more urban environment. Nashville is obviously known for its country music, but that isn't really my scene and I have found plenty of ways to entertain myself in the city. I did college radio all through undergrad and really enjoy a lot of the smaller music venues (so excited to see Girl Talk next Saturday!) There is also a great independent movie theater that shows tons films. I just saw Pan's Labryinth and High and Low there this past month. Sports-wise there are the Titans for football and The Sounds for minor league baseball who will hopefully have a new field in 2009 right downtown. There are also Vanderbilt sports, which are always fun. The basketball teams have both been doing really well this year. Hopefully, we'll make it to March Madness! Anyway, maybe if you have specific questions, that might be easier than hearing me ramble on about random things you might not care about.

On that note, I really love Vanderbilt especially the medical school, and my only reservations surround wanting to stay in Nashville for another 4 years. While I have enjoyed it, I'm trying to decide if maybe I want to try out a new city. Unfortunately, I won't be at second look weekend. I am moving home at the end of February and will be out of the country for half of April, but I hope everyone enjoys it!

I completely forgot to mention that the second look weekend for Vanderbilt is the same weekend as Rites of Spring (ROS) April 19th-21st. ROS is a huge concert that takes place at Vandy every year (on Friday and Saturday) that is sponsored by Student Life. Here is the website to see who played last year: www.vanderbilt.edu/ros. It is also where they will post the acts for 2007 once they are officially announced (usually mid-March). If you are coming for second look you should DEFINITELY try and attend this concert. I've gotten to see some amazing bands over the years (tickets were maybe $5 a year, I think they were free in 2003) and it is a ton of fun. Something to keep in mind schedule-wise for when you come in.

When I was talking about mastering skills for residency, I was talking more along the lines of placing central lines and chest tubes, not IVs--things more specific to a physician (not that you don't need to know how to hit a vein). Sorry I didn't make that more clear. Regarding the whole "if you need to know it, you'll master it in residency" bit, that's exactly the mentality I'm trying to avoid. I don't know about you guys, but I want to be an awesome intern, not "yeah, he's pretty okay." You simply get more exposure in a large, public hospital. From the conversations I've had with many others wiser than I, you learn how to take care of patients better in a public hospital setting because you have the opportunity for more responsibility and the liberty to do more "stuff."

okay, by IVs, I meant the "doctor" stuff like central lines etc too. i don't argue that the training/exposure isn't better at a public hospital, but you're not going to be a pro at brain surgery either. i know quite a few people coming from excellent public hospital training, and they do kinda laugh at the lack of exposure of other interns. my point is that you'll be the awesome 'central line' intern for about a month, maybe less. then everyone else will get the practice and be able to put in a central line just as well as you can. plus you all are going to be learning to do new procedures of your specialty and all be on the same neophyte level.
avoid the 'mentality' all you want, but med school clinical years don't hold a candle to residency years as far as learning how to be an x-type of doctor. ie: if you choose ob/gyn, those 2 months(or less) of med school exposure/responsibility will mean next to nothing compared to the years of learning in residency.
ok so, my point is it's about perspective and the big picture. you will be better trained, do more stuff at a public hospital. however, your moment of glory as a well-trained med student will be fleeting and six months into residency your "awesome-ness" as rated by your attendings will have little to do with your performance in week one but rather how well you're adapting and learning new things on a day to day basis.

What neighborhoods is vanderbilt close to? I've just started looking at apartments and the such online, and I have no idea where to look - what are the good neighborhoods to look for if you don't plan on having a car?

I'm not commenting on the clinical rotations at Vandy in a bad light. You'll certainly get an excellent education, and you'll match very well if you work hard. However, there will be a difference between the clinicals at different schools, and that difference oftentimes is a result of the hospital setting you work in. I've heard from numerous attendings and residents that (as a generalization of course) you'll get stronger clinical training at public hospitals because they're often short-handed, so you'll get to do A LOT. You'll have tons of practice sewing, placing lines, intubating, etc. Private hospitals generally don't have staffing problems, so they have lots of nurses, central line teams, ostomy teams, etc that do a lot of the scut work so you don't have to (read: "get to" since you're there to learn). Now I'm not saying that Vandy/Stanford/private school with private hospitals will turn out bad interns or they're not prepared for residency, because I'm sure they are. I'm just passing along the wisdom of many a resident and attending whom I've spoken with extensively on this matter. What would you rather be doing more of? Looking over a resident's/attending's shoulder or getting your hands dirty doing it yourself? I promise you there is more dirt at a public hospital. I've spent two years working at one, and I've gotten to do things as an undergrad that you normally wouldn't see until your 4th year. (P.S. And I've also worked at private hospitals, and I did a lot of looking. But I left that anecdote out because I'm assuming you'll appreciate the resident's/attending's advice moreso than my own. But take it as you will.)

I definitely know what you are talking about in terms of experience at public hospitals vs. private hospitals...but the crux of my comment (and what I have no experience to comment on, and I really would like to know if it matters of not!) was more on the lines of what Dr. Watson has argued in subsequent posts: will that extra experience at the public hospitals really make you a much more competent resident? I can't say since I really don't know how long it takes to pick up certain competencies as a physician. What I do know is that schools with "cush" hospitals dont seem (at least to me) to have their reputation affected negatively by it when their students apply for residencies.

What neighborhoods is vanderbilt close to? I've just started looking at apartments and the such online, and I have no idea where to look - what are the good neighborhoods to look for if you don't plan on having a car?

Nashville is not the type of city that is easy to get around in if you don't have a car. I didn't have a car until sophomore year, and I really missed not having it as a freshman. That being said there are a few areas where a lot of students live that are within walking distance of Vanderbilt, but because they are close so they tend to be more expensive. A lot of students live in Hillsboro Village (specifically The Gardens Apts) and in Wesley Place. If you are willing to bike you can live near Belmont University, which is about 1-2 miles away (where I live right now). There are a lot of cute houses/town homes that if you get a couple people together you can rent for a pretty affordable price. The closest high school to Vanderbilt is Hillsboro Comp, sometimes that helps with searches to have the neighborhood public high school. Hope that helps!

i would also suggest using craigslist to get approx $$ for areas near vandy.

The Village at Vanderbilt is right across the street from the medical center and the med school. It's definitely within walking distance.

Yeah while the Village is extremely convenient it's SO much more expensive. You can find relatively inexpensive housing in Nashville (i.e. my rent is $500/mo plus about $60-100/mo for utilities) and I only live about 2 miles from Vanderbilt. I also don't think Village is that much nicer for how much it costs (IMO).

I'm glad we have you here to add information like this. I had no idea it was so much more expensive.

And $500 for rent is NOT BAD. Wow.

Thanks I try :D
And yes, $500 is pretty sweet. It was definitely one of the best deals I have found. I was super lucky to find it and the house I'm living in is amazing. Paying around $700/mo though is relatively easy to find in Nashville even if you want to live relatively close to Vanderbilt. If you look through craigslist you can find a lot of listings and get a good sense of what you might be paying. One thing to keep in mind about Nashville is that food/cost of living is relatively low but the sales tax is killer. I'm from Maryland which has a 5% sales tax and I was floored when I saw Nashville's is around 9.25%. They have no income tax though, which is nice if you have a job here!

In regards to your other posts, it seems as if you are pretty much set on Baylor. I think you are right about the type of clinical experience you will get at large public hospitals, but I don't think you can check out at 5pm every day. I'll ask my friend who went to medical school and did his residency and report back. You can also do elective rotations during your 4th year, so you may, after having your interest sparked at a private hospital, opt to spend a month doing a rotation at a big public hospital. And there are public hospitals in Nashville, that you may be able to rotate through. Anyone know anything about that?

Members don't see this ad :)
What flexibility do students have in scheduling their rotations during the clinical years?

We can do externships, right?

And, did you guys get a phone call from an M1 yesterday 'officially' inviting you to second look? Mine was from CA (like me). They say the packets for Second Look should be coming in the mail any time now...

We can do externships, right?

And, did you guys get a phone call from an M1 yesterday 'officially' inviting you to second look? Mine was from CA (like me). They say the packets for Second Look should be coming in the mail any time now...

I just quoted myself, hehe. Anyhow, in 4th year we are required to do 6 rotations (approx. 24 weeks) at Vanderbilt (or vanderbilt-affiliated) hospitals. We can do externships the rest of the time - generally aimed at the residencies we want to have. Since match-lists are due in January, I guess we should get our mandatory rotations (or the prereques) done early as possible, and then spend Oct, Nov, Dec going to do externships in the places we want to do residency. I'm off to northern CA :).

I know there is a VA hospital that you can rotate through. It will afford you the same or similar opportunities you would have in a big, public hospital.

I was thinking that maybe you could do rotations at the public hospitals in Nashville. There are at least other major hospitals within 10 minutes of Vanderbilt (Baptist, St. Thomas, Centennial, and the VA are the one's I can think of, but I think there is another) and I thought those might offer other opportunities to get more hands-on training if you were interested in that. Externships would also be a great opportunity to work in public hospitals if that's what you thought you needed more exposure to. While Peripatetic is off to California, I will be hitting up the Northeast :D.

And yes, I got a phone call from an M1 last night. I think they picked people to call you who could relate to your personal situation since my M1 had also gone to Vanderbilt from undergrad (Peripatetic's was from CA).

I was just curious as to why Vanderbilt's Ortho match list is so amazing.. It's the best I've seen anywhere, period.

I just quoted myself, hehe. Anyhow, in 4th year we are required to do 6 rotations (approx. 24 weeks) at Vanderbilt (or vanderbilt-affiliated) hospitals. We can do externships the rest of the time - generally aimed at the residencies we want to have. Since match-lists are due in January, I guess we should get our mandatory rotations (or the prereques) done early as possible, and then spend Oct, Nov, Dec going to do externships in the places we want to do residency. I'm off to northern CA :).

3rd year outside hospitals: state psych hospital, VA (medicine, surgery, neuro), Baptist-private (GYN), Meharry-public hospital (peds), private practice (med, peds).

4th year: medicine or surgery sub-i (Vandy, VA, Children´s), ER (at Vandy, Children´s, and a community hospital), primary care (anywhere in the US), and capstone class at Vandy. All others are electives (4 others) where ever you want (in Nashville, in the US, international)

Sometimes it´s nice during your 3rd year to rotate through the same system of hospitals, because you are still have enough work to do during 3rd year besides finding where the vitals are, lookin up old charts, labs, x-rays, etc., and meeting a new set of nurses on top of a new rotation every few weeks. By 4th year, you are a little more comfortable with your role...

Has anyone received an information packet regarding second look weekend? A thread on the premed forum said that the school will pay up to $500 for our travel. Just curious if that information came in the mail. I haven't received anything yet.

Hi all,

I am currently a third year, and I thought I would add my 2 cents while I have the weekend off between Peds and OB-Gyn.

This e-mail is long and includes info on third year, intersessions third year, and housing.

I think a lot of applicants spend a lot of time worrying about the first two years. I know I did! I think this is for two reasons: 1. you mostly meet first and second years (hosts, tour guides, etc). 2. Third year seems ages away! So I think it is great that you guys are thinking about it already!

About hospitals: Vandy is a great place to do your rotations. We are not a public hospital, but we are a teaching hospital (pts expect to see students, residents and attendings) and we take the teaching part really seriously. If pts dont want to see students, they go to the private hospitals. We also take Medicaid and lots of uninsured pts (unlike most private hospitals), so dont think you are only going to be working with rich snobs who dont even want a student to be present. (I hear rumors about some schools with this problem, but I cant vouch for accuracy.) I also know students at other schools who are required to drive quite a distance to go to other hospitals - I have enough to worry about without adding an extra hour or so to my day to commuite! But, as previously stated, you can do some of your third year rotations elsewhere, including Ob-Gyn at Baptist, Out-Pt Peds and Medicine in private practices or Peds at Meharry, and of course almost anything fourth year.

About third-year intersessions: These are not about learning to put in lines! This is about covering material that is not taught elsewhere. The first half of the week brings the whole class back together (which is also really nice!) and covers different material each session in several differnet areas, including communication, palliative care, Hot Topics (Evidence Based Medicine on something new - our first one was on the HPV vaccine which was approved about a month before), the "medical system" (including non-MD's who are part of the team and what they do, consults in the hospital, understanding how doctors and the hospital get paid - it is really amazing how much goes on without our having any clue about it!) and a few other. We do some role-playing on difficult scenarios with some of the best attendings giving us feed-back. Our theme last time was "geriatrics," so we discussed how to include children in planning, privacy issues that this raises and respecting the patient's wishes, talking about things that are embarassing like incontinence, etc. I was pretty skeptical, but these have ended up being really good - really well taught and planned, interesting material, and useful topics which really arent covered elsewhere. (One was pain management - yeah we talk about dosing narcotics after surgery, but we dont talk about chronic pain, and all the different options, including patches, electric stimulators, massage and physical theray, etc.) They are designed to be topics which dont fit into a specific class or rotation, but are important to discuss.

The second half of intersessions is specific to your rotation. Each rotation does it differently. So on psych\neuro we had one student interview a teenager and his mom (separately! also, the student and pt were in a room with a one-way mirror) and then spent the rest of the afternoon discussing schizophrenia, how it affects families, some of the new research going on and how it applies to clinicians today, some resources that are available to help families, etc. This was a great way to learn about a disease in more depth than we had studied it our 2nd year of school and in a way that was really relevant and helpful. In peds we spent some time talking about child development and in what ways kids are different - reviewing ways to examine kids (keep them on parent's lap) and things to ask and look for that you wouldnt do in adults (birth history!) and how it effects your management and diseases you worry about. We also met with child-life specialists (who work in the hospital and often basically make it possible for you to do your work! Yes, you can explain stiches to a child, but they do it 100 times better with their "magic" string and lots of other tricks!) and visited the family resource room where we learned about all the info that they have available for families (both child and parent friendly), support groups they run, etc. So we used the time to learn about kids, families, and caring for them.

Questions in general I would recommend asking about third year if you get to talk to upperclassmen: how are pts assigned? Are students responsible for covering a whole service or just selected pts? Do the residents still see the pts? How much teaching is there? If third-year lectures take place during rounds, do I go to lecture or stay for rounds? Etc.

Lastly, housing:

The paddle is a great resource! I found it to be pretty accurate. Yes, students do live in the Village at Vandy, but it is super expensive (and also super close!), so I think it is a small number. A few students live in the Groves, but not a lot because they are just a bit too far to walk and unlike Vandy undergrads (sorry!) we prefer to pay a lot less and get something slightly less nice. (No car-wash in our parking lot or gated entrance that doesnt ever work anyway.) I dont know too many med students who live at the Wesley or 20 and Grand for more than a year (it is so expensive!) because there are just better, cheaper places to live that are equally close - and still walking distance.

I lived in "Hillsboro Village" my first to years in a really nice 1-bedroom with a washer-drier (and an outdoor pool!) which was an easy 12-15 min walk to class (I have done it in 7-8 when I am running late - still walking!) and I paid $600 a month. There are other comparable places. If you are willing to have\want a roommate, you can live in the same area for even less and get a nice town-house. Yeah, it costs less if you go further out - but the $100 seemed worth it to me to not have to drive (and I saved money on gas and a parking permit - which is only about $10 or so a month, but.....).

I actually bought a place this past summer and moved all the way across the street (did I mention I liked the location?). Still walking distance. Still surrounded by lots of other students who also walk in the morning, who I bump into on the way in in the morning. My "rent" went up a bit, but I think it is worth it. ;) If I didnt find a place, my plan was to stay where I was.

In summary for rent, I would basically say it depends on what you want. $600-700 will definately get you a perfectly nice 1-BR apt in walking distance. You can get it down to $350 if you have a roommate about 1.5-2 miles away. I would say probably $450-600 for a 2-BR in walking distance. Of course, you can spend as much as you want, if you want to buy or rent one of the gorgeous new lofts downtown, for example, or you want a huge house to yourself. But one of the things I love about Nashville is I can afford to live by myself in a nice condo which is walking distance.

Good luck with interviews and decisions! Its a fun time! And dont forget to relax and enjoy yourself this spring and summer!!!

Go Men's Basketball! :D Way to beat then #1 ranked Florida on Saturday! What a game and now VU is ranked #17 in the AP and #21 in the ESPN/USA Today polls! (And knocked the gators to #3 in both polls! :smuggrin:)

Has anyone received an information packet regarding second look weekend? A thread on the premed forum said that the school will pay up to $500 for our travel. Just curious if that information came in the mail. I haven't received anything yet.
I haven't received anything official, but the MS1 who contacted me said the same thing.

Go Dores!! :D

Go Men's Basketball! :D Way to beat then #1 ranked Florida on Saturday! What a game and now VU is ranked #17 in the AP and #21 in the ESPN/USA Today polls! (And knocked the gators to #3 in both polls! :smuggrin:)

Ain't Noah stopping us now for March Madness, despite what Dicky V said! :hardy:

Don't forget about that #1 ranking for baseball too!

I'm a senior at Vandy now and live within (very easy) walking distance- a block from campus. My rent is $417, plus utilities. I have my own bedroom and bathroom, and share the apt with one roommate. We also have a puppy! You just have to look around for good deals. If anyone wants to room for next year, ha, let me know! There are plenty of living options around Vandy and I would NOT settle for Village at Vandy or any of those that are ridiculously expensive...med school will be expensive enough!

Thought everyone would like to know the awesome bands that are coming for Rites of Spring, which is the same weekend as Second Look!
*The Roots
*Wolfmother
*Keller Williams
*Mat Kearney
*Naughty by Nature
*Drive-By Truckers
*The Whigs
*Amos Lee
*Bret Dennen
*Bang Bang Bang
*Rocco Deluca and The Burden
*Charles Walker and The Dynamites
*Jypsi

ok, so admittedly i'm very out-of-touch when it comes to music and thus, i haven't heard of a lot of these bands. anyone have good links to sample the above's music so i can figure out who i absolutely don't want to miss? also, how does ticketing work (comped for us by the med school, vandy student discount tho weren't not students yet, full price-attend on our own)? are we even going to have much time to make it to Rites? thanks!

has anyone gotten that second look weekend packet yet? Not here yet in Memphis

has anyone gotten that second look weekend packet yet? Not here yet in Memphis

I have not received anything yet. Second look is still 2 months away, but I would like to go ahead and make my travel arrangements.

I have not received anything yet. Second look is still 2 months away, but I would like to go ahead and make my travel arrangements.

anybody missing any events at their school for 2nd look? It looks like Vandy's second look is fortunately missing my college's rites of spring concert by a week:cool:

I also really want to know if there will be any free time (i.e. before 5pm, like what if I need to get my car fixed or goto the dentist type time) like other schools have put into their schedules (Baylor and UCLA give their students alot of free time, often a couple afternoons a week they are done at noon!) during the preclinical years. The info on Vandy's webpage isnt extremely detailed.

Vandy has a free valet service that will do all of your shopping, oil changes, dry cleaning, etc. for you for free. So no worries.:)

I'm not commenting on the clinical rotations at Vandy in a bad light. You'll certainly get an excellent education, and you'll match very well if you work hard. However, there will be a difference between the clinicals at different schools, and that difference oftentimes is a result of the hospital setting you work in. I've heard from numerous attendings and residents that (as a generalization of course) you'll get stronger clinical training at public hospitals because they're often short-handed, so you'll get to do A LOT. You'll have tons of practice sewing, placing lines, intubating, etc. Private hospitals generally don't have staffing problems, so they have lots of nurses, central line teams, ostomy teams, etc that do a lot of the scut work so you don't have to (read: "get to" since you're there to learn). Now I'm not saying that Vandy/Stanford/private school with private hospitals will turn out bad interns or they're not prepared for residency, because I'm sure they are. I'm just passing along the wisdom of many a resident and attending whom I've spoken with extensively on this matter. What would you rather be doing more of? Looking over a resident's/attending's shoulder or getting your hands dirty doing it yourself? I promise you there is more dirt at a public hospital. I've spent two years working at one, and I've gotten to do things as an undergrad that you normally wouldn't see until your 4th year. (P.S. And I've also worked at private hospitals, and I did a lot of looking. But I left that anecdote out because I'm assuming you'll appreciate the resident's/attending's advice moreso than my own. But take it as you will.)

Vandy has a lot of rotations at the VA hospital (20 feet from Light Hall, Vanderbilt, and Vanderbilt Children's hospitals) which is your "public" hospital where you get to do all of your own lines, participate in the OR more, intubate, etc., etc.

ok, so admittedly i'm very out-of-touch when it comes to music and thus, i haven't heard of a lot of these bands. anyone have good links to sample the above's music so i can figure out who i absolutely don't want to miss? also, how does ticketing work (comped for us by the med school, vandy student discount tho weren't not students yet, full price-attend on our own)? are we even going to have much time to make it to Rites? thanks!

You can purchase day or weekend passes through Ticketmaster in advance or the day of the concert. Anyone can come, but it's obviously mostly Vandy students, both grad and undergrad. You're also allowed to bring in six beers a person. :thumbup:

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ros/

does Vandy have any sort of system where people who want roomates can find other first-years to talk to? or should I just network well during 2nd look?

does Vandy have any sort of system where people who want roomates can find other first-years to talk to? or should I just network well during 2nd look?

When I visited, my host said that he found his roommate through something the admissions office had set up. I think they met during Second Look? I'm not sure, but at least they do have a system set up to help you find potential roommates.

Vandy has a free valet service that will do all of your shopping, oil changes, dry cleaning, etc. for you for free. So no worries.:)

Is this true? They didn't tell me about that...

When I visited, my host said that he found his roommate through something the admissions office had set up. I think they met during Second Look? I'm not sure, but at least they do have a system set up to help you find potential roommates.
I think there was information on this in the sheet sent with your acceptance packet. It looked like basically a craiglist for Vandy only.

If anyone finds the link to that Vandy roommate service, will you please post it or send it to me? I want to start trying to figure out living for next year!

I'm starting to get really excited about Vandy. To kill time in between classes I started looking at apartments on Craigslist......even though I have no idea where Vanderbilt is or where anything else is in relation to it. I'm excited about how cheap housing is in Nashville though.

I can't wait for second look!

Second look weekend invite today. Woohoo :) I'm pretty sure the Marriott is nice as well, though I'm not thrilled about sharing a room... Oh well just another chance to get to know my (possible) future classmates. :D

Boo for no jeans :(

but YEAH! for Second Look! :love:

does anybody know if parking costs money at the marriott?

its alot easier for me to drive to Nashville (althought there is a flight from memphis to nashville, it seems pretty ridiculous to make the flight)...but they said nothing about us who can drive to Nashville. (it'd also be nice if they threw me some gas money:oops: )

Anybody bringing someone with them to Second Look? Not sure how to work that one (= probably no free room for me :().

I'm excited!

so I am pretty sure I m going to Vanderbilt next year...and i really really want to go to the second look weekend. But on April 20th, I HAVE to attend a poster session to present my thesis. I was wondering if Vandy will let me come on the 21st....or I could take a late night flight and get to Nashville in the middle of the night or something..... either way.. is anyone in the same situation? or does anyone know of someone doing that in the past years??

thanks

so I am pretty sure I m going to Vanderbilt next year...and i really really want to go to the second look weekend. But on April 20th, I HAVE to attend a poster session to present my thesis. I was wondering if Vandy will let me come on the 21st....or I could take a late night flight and get to Nashville in the middle of the night or something..... either way.. is anyone in the same situation? or does anyone know of someone doing that in the past years??

thanks

I'm sure you can show up on the 21st. Just work it out with JoVan.

Good luck with your poster session--- that's exciting!

I just found out in the other thread that UCLA second look is the same weekend. Oh, oh why must these med schools inconvenience me so? :p

I will still be at Vandy that weekend, though.

(And no jeans, but at least no suits! I'm sure you all will look fly in your biz caj.)

does anybody know if parking costs money at the marriott?

its alot easier for me to drive to Nashville (althought there is a flight from memphis to nashville, it seems pretty ridiculous to make the flight)...but they said nothing about us who can drive to Nashville. (it'd also be nice if they threw me some gas money:oops: )
I'm pretty sure if you're staying in the hotel you can park your car there. Hell, I've parked there (it's right next to campus) in a pinch as a student! :laugh:

I'm sure you can show up on the 21st. Just work it out with JoVan.

Good luck with your poster session--- that's exciting!

I just found out in the other thread that UCLA second look is the same weekend. Oh, oh why must these med schools inconvenience me so? :p

I will still be at Vandy that weekend, though.

(And no jeans, but at least no suits! I'm sure you all will look fly in your biz caj.)
Hmm... it says professional attire for the hospital. I took that to mean a suit, but I guess it doesn't necessarily. :confused:

I took it to mean suit too. I would bring it if we have to tour the hospitals...at the other second looks I have, same thing.

By the way, orientation is Aug. 2 and 3, with first year classes beginning Aug. 6. Our white coat ceremony is on Aug 17. They moved the schedule up by 2 weeks for the new curriculum, so we're starting really early this year!!

I also will be unable to attend second look weekend, so y'all will have to report back here with what you think. I'm surprised they want business formal for the hospital tours, but Vandy is a more formal school. It's always better to be more formal than too casual.

Quantum: I think if Vandy is willing to reimburse you $500 for a plane ticket they should be able to pay $50 for your gas and $40 for parking on the weekend.

SoFla: To help find housing on craigslist just type Vandy and/or Belmont into the search criteria. Most places will advertise how far they are from either of these campuses (Belmont is about 1 mile from Vandy in a really nice neighborhood).

Hmm... it says professional attire for the hospital. I took that to mean a suit, but I guess it doesn't necessarily. :confused:

Oops, yeah, I'm green and didn't realize "professional" is synonymous with formal in this context. I just read it as "appropriate." I guess I'll just call to clarify before it's time to pack.