UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GutsyGal said:
I won't be able to make it for the AMWA weekend. :(

Does anyone know what the attendance is like for lectures? Is it mandatory or does attendance tend to drop off as the semester goes on? Are there pop quizzes?

School hasn't even started yet and you're already thinking about skipping? SLACKER!

Members don't see this ad.

daysleeprx said:
School hasn't even started yet and you're already thinking about skipping? SLACKER!

You're just mad you didn't think of it first! :p

GG - Lectures are not mandatory, but labs and PBL are required. You can only miss 3 total labs+PBL... that means only 2 labs and 1 PBL, or some similar combination, not 3 each. And I think only 3 POMs a year (maybe a semester?).

...slacker. I know where you live - don't think I won't take any excuse to be knocking on your door. :cool:

haha...why does everybody say that when I ask them that question? Doesn't necessarily mean I'm already thinking about taking days off.... :p

Actually, I prolly wouldn't mind a wake-up call...I'll be so blurry-eyed, I'll need somebody to guide me to the classroom.

Members don't see this ad :)
GutsyGal said:
haha...why does everybody say that when I ask them that question? Doesn't necessarily mean I'm already thinking about taking days off.... :p

Actually, I prolly wouldn't mind a wake-up call...I'll be so blurry-eyed, I'll need somebody to guide me to the classroom.

Sorry we don't do wakeup calls...but the continental breakfast is free.

Has anyone else recieved an email saying they need to go to an orientation for TDCJ Hospital?

GutsyGal said:

So how do you feel about power tools... cuz I just got this spiffy new drill, & I'm having too much fun putting in crooked shelving and curtains. Maybe we should have a morse code for the walls... if I decide to do some 3am drilling/ study break, you can knock 3 times and I'll know that means "Cut it out or I'll drill you a new eye socket!" Sounds good? :D

What's this about a hospital orientation? I haven't received any emails regarding an extra orientation.

Also, to anyone who is doing direct deposit for their financial aid:
If you filled out the direct deposit forms from UTMB's email and sent it to the Payroll services Center (as directed on the form), you might want to call the Bursar's Office and confirm they've received it. Apparently, it is the wrong form and should have been sent to the Bursar's Office instead. They have been able to get some of them back from the payroll dept, but they never got mine. :(

Anyone know where we can park for orientation, since we don't have permits yet?

Anyone out there go the the AMWA weekend??? How was it? Did we miss anything?

I didn't attend, but I did however go to the beach this weekend for some ocean kayaking. The waves were awesome on Sunday because of the mini rainstorms kicking up some wind over the water. It was a lot of fun. You kayak out a little way, turn around quickly, and surf the wave all the way back to shore. I would recommend that you all run out and spend your financial aid money on an ocean kayak to have it on hand for some quick study stress relief!!! I love this island!

:D

Hey everyone,

I wanted to know if you all recieved a third package from UTMB. And if you did, is there anything in it has requires a response.

Thanks

Hey everyone,

My roommate won't be able to matriculate this fall due to a missing pre-req. I know this is pretty late, but if any of you know of anyone who still has not found a place, I have a 2 bedroom, 1.5 bath townhouse for $700 ($350 per person) at the Carelton Apartments (two blocks from school). PM me for more info.

Naijagirl said:
Hey everyone,

I wanted to know if you all recieved a third package from UTMB. And if you did, is there anything in it has requires a response.

Thanks

The 3rd package has some form in it that we have to sign, i think for the rec center or something. However, it doesnt say where to turn it in. anybody have any idea? maybe we bring it to orientation?

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know how much books are at the bookstore compared to Amazon. I normally order from the net, but I don't want to be waiting for books when its time to start classes!

arierty said:
does anyone know how much books are at the bookstore compared to Amazon. I normally order from the net, but I don't want to be waiting for books when its time to start classes!

The prices for new books seem to be comparable, although this summer the bookstore did not seem to have any used books (and quite a few, like grants/ rohen/ "Moore's Essencial clinical anatomy," and the dissector have not updated their editions lately, so used copies are the same edition as new ones).

I actually chose to purchase the Robbin's Pathology book new from the bookstore, because it's a new edition, and each book comes with a registration code for the new *online* version of this book (so we don't have to lug it to PBL!). The registration is good for the life of the edition, and they don't seem to be pushing to put out a new edition until 2009-2011.

Most upperclassmen say there will be a used book fair on campus the second week of class, so if you can hold out, or wait to buy your non-gross anatomy books then, you can get some great deals.

arierty said:

I checked out Amazon last week for the books we need and found they are the exact same price. I found one book $4.oo cheaper on amazon, but it doesn't have free shipping like the rest of the books, so in the end it is still the same price. If you include the fact the UTMB bookstore gives you a 20% rebate in april for everything you buy there (including clothing) providing you save your receipts, I would say if you want to buy new... the bookstore is the way to go. If you don't mind used, you may want to shop online or buy from the upper classmen.

daysleeprx said:
Anyone know where we can park for orientation, since we don't have permits yet?

I got an email today from UTMB for the QUEST Parking situation... quick recap:

Parking option #1
The public parking garage (IV) on the corner of Mechanic St. and 12th. This parking garage will be open for Quest participants beginning at 1:30 pm on Friday.

Parking option #2
The shuttle parking lot on 4th and Seawall; the shuttle picks up every 15mins.

As for the actual week of orientation, I haven't heard officially. I thought last year they may have parked in the free lot off mechanic(???) and took the shuttle to campus. I bet if you called the student life office they could give you the right information. Also, if you are attending Quest, we can probably find out then as well.

Anyone in Galveston wanna go do something? I'm bored! I got ditched this weekend! ;)

(PM ME)

Are you coming to Quest daysleeprx?

It's been a long first day of orientation...

Anyone else feel like they've already done the whole week? ;P

fotolilith said:
It's been a long first day of orientation...

Anyone else feel like they've already done the whole week? ;P

They sure know how to bore us! Just got ditched by daysleeprx :(

UTKB said:
They sure know how to bore us! Just got ditched by daysleeprx :(

daysleeprx! You home-wrecker!

Yeah, they kept tossing us around to different places today... and tomorrow I get to go *back* to some of those places, particularly because the quick copy office did not give me the enrollment code for our new remotes. Stop the madness!!! :eek:

Don't feel bad...I ditched everyone today :D

daysleeprx said:
Don't feel bad...I ditched everyone today :D

GG and I noticed! :p

Did anyone else get an AMWA t-shirt that designates us as the "Univesity of Texas Medical Branch"? :laugh:

fotolilith said:
Did anyone else get an AMWA t-shirt that designates us as the "Univesity of Texas Medical Branch"? :laugh:

Oh man that's awful!! :laugh:

Any idea when we're gonna get those Class of 09 shirts we ordered??

fotolilith said:

Hey, i got one of those too! :eek: Oh well, i did not notice so maybe no one else will either, plus i am a terrible speller, so i can relate to their mistake

Ha! Does anyone remember the guy who posted in the waitlist thread about how UTMB students were a joke & the school had poor resources, thus he'd rather go to his home school, Tech?... but then didn't give up his spot when the other waitlisters wanted it. ;-) Well, it turns out he's running for Vice President of our class with the platform about how he loves the students! Haha! Why is it that my BS-alert is going off at his "change of mind"? :laugh:

i am not really sure who you are refering to since there are a ton of people running for VP, but hopefully it is not the guy i was planning on voting for.

fotolilith said:
Ha! Does anyone remember the guy who posted in the waitlist thread about how UTMB students were a joke & the school had poor resources, thus he'd rather go to his home school, Tech?... but then didn't give up his spot when the other waitlisters wanted it. ;-) Well, it turns out he's running for Vice President of our class with the platform about how he loves the students! Haha! Why is it that my BS-alert is going off at his "change of mind"? :laugh:

Foto, could you PM me his name? I'd like to remember it come election day.

fotolilith said:

drsungoddess said:
i am not really sure who you are refering to since there are a ton of people running for VP, but hopefully it is not the guy i was planning on voting for.

Yeah, I'm meddlesome, but our class is too awesome to let someone who dissed it get my vote. ;)

*edit* I removed his sdn screen name from my post, but if you're curious you can check the waitlist thread from February. I don't wanna mess up my own kharma, tho I figure if his has already plummeted then he won't be elected. ;)

I should stop procrastinating and go draw out the brachial plexus a few more thousand times.

fotolilith said:
Yeah, I'm meddlesome, but our class is too awesome to let someone who dissed it get my vote. ;)

*edit* I removed his sdn screen name from my post, but if you're curious you can check the waitlist thread from February. I don't wanna mess up my own kharma, tho I figure if his has already plummeted then he won't be elected. ;)

I should stop procrastinating and go draw out the brachial plexus a few more thousand times.

So... what are the muscles you need in order to take someone down anyways?

So..................anyone else pissed about the stupid hurricane messing up our exams? :mad: :mad: :scared: I know this is probably a stupid question; of course we are all put out and majorly inconvenienced by this thing.

I'm just glad to be out of there..........I really hope that there will be something for us to come back to after this blows through.......I drove to Dallas (Plano) yesterday and it took 14 hours to get here........hope everyone is somewhere safe!

wdarli said:
I'm just glad to be out of there..........I really hope that there will be something for us to come back to after this blows through.......I drove to Dallas (Plano) yesterday and it took 14 hours to get here........hope everyone is somewhere safe!

I extend my best wishes to those of you in Galveston. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Like you, I live and work in an area at risk for Hurricanes, and can empathize. Best of Luck this week.

Man, I would have rather taken that test than been glued to the TV these past few days trying to figure out if Galveston will be spared or not.

And just when we think Galveston has gotten out of the path of destruction, a FIRE starts up downtown near the Strand. :(:(:(:(:(

fotolilith said:
Man, I would have rather taken that test than been glued to the TV these past few days trying to figure out if Galveston will be spared or not.

And just when we think Galveston has gotten out of the path of destruction, a FIRE starts up downtown near the Strand. :(:(:(:(:(

Eesh, and it looks like it's burning up houses, possibly the historic Victorian ones..I hope your school will be ok...my heart goes out to you guys.

Hey, if you have not heard, the Mayor of Galveston does not want anyone returning today and possibly tomorrow. In fact, Houston and surrounding areas want to set up a "staggered" return for evacuees, which might push it back to Tuesday.

Anyways, don't hit the road yet!

I'll try to update after the 5:30pm press conference today.

If you want to listen to the press conference you can go here: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=hurricanes&id=3464255 or here: http://www.kuhf.org/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage .

According to the Galveston Mayor, residents can return at 6:00AM on Sunday, however, there will likely be no power/ groceries/ gas, and some people on the east and west ends of the island will have to boil their water.

According to UTMB's website (updated @ 5:30pm on Saturday), http://www.utmb.edu/ UTMB students will not be asked to return to class until Thursday.

And Yagas will still be in pieces. *sniff*

I hear you on the studying. i have been trying, but i can only do about an hour and even then i still have other things on my mind. So sad about Yagas, I never got to go, and i heard it was so much fun.

So when do you guys plan on heading back, wed, or a little earlier? I want to see how this traffic and gas shortage is going to play out before i attempt to head back in. Plus no point sitting in the dark. Good luck with the studies and i will see you guys on thursday or later.

Hey guys! As most of you probably know I go to UTH, but I'm crashing your thread to offer my best wishes :) :D :love: Poor Yaga's! That is such a fun place. I love how Lyda Ann Thomas is this crazy old southern lady that takes any opportunity to get on the air :p Where is Bill White, anyways?

Well good luck you guys! I hope it all works out for UTMB!

drsungoddess said:
I hear you on the studying. i have been trying, but i can only do about an hour and even then i still have other things on my mind. So sad about Yagas, I never got to go, and i heard it was so much fun.

So when do you guys plan on heading back, wed, or a little earlier? I want to see how this traffic and gas shortage is going to play out before i attempt to head back in. Plus no point sitting in the dark. Good luck with the studies and i will see you guys on thursday or later.

I am going to play it by ear as I decide when to return. I was thinking about going back on Tuesday, more so to check on my fish than anything else. With no power, they are probably boiling inside my apartment, and Wal-Mart ran out of those weekend feeder things, so they're starving. I know they're just stupid fish but I don't want them to suffer :oops: . I also want to see if I got robbed or anything. If, after checking on my place and there is no power, I may go stay with my brother in Houston and commute to UTMB if they insist we go to classes before power is fully restored. Anyone is welcome to come with me and stay at my brother's...he is never there, he practically lives with his girlfriend in downtown.

OK, sorry about the rambling. In a nutshell: I HAVE NO IDEA! :laugh:

Since no one mentioned it I thought I'd ask - is anyone else still unable to access e-class. I still haven't taken the practice test, but I definitely want to and though it seems like everything else is functioning now e-class has failed me. Let me know if I am not the only one, thanks guys!

arierty said:
Since no one mentioned it I thought I'd ask - is anyone else still unable to access e-class. I still haven't taken the practice test, but I definitely want to and though it seems like everything else is functioning now e-class has failed me. Let me know if I am not the only one, thanks guys!

I'm in the same boat as you :thumbdown: :thumbdown: , wanting (needing) to access the practice test. I also wanted to see if there were any announcements from profs worth reading.

getunconcsious said:
Hey guys! As most of you probably know I go to UTH, but I'm crashing your thread to offer my best wishes :) :D :love: Poor Yaga's! That is such a fun place. I love how Lyda Ann Thomas is this crazy old southern lady that takes any opportunity to get on the air :p Where is Bill White, anyways?

Well good luck you guys! I hope it all works out for UTMB!

Bill White is just kinda grinning on all the other channels - it's starting to get a little creepy, actually. He started saying "There, but for the Grace of God, goes our community" (in reference to the East Texans/ Louisiana residents who were hit by Rita), but I was distracted from him sympathetic words by the fact that he maintained this kinda Cheshire cat grin throughout the whole thing.

As for politicians clamouring for air time, Thomas wasn't the only one - Miya Shay, an abc reporter sequestered with Mayor White, etc, in the Transtar headquarters, had some funny comments about that too.

UTKB said:
I am going to play it by ear as I decide when to return. I was thinking about going back on Tuesday, more so to check on my fish than anything else. With no power, they are probably boiling inside my apartment, and Wal-Mart ran out of those weekend feeder things, so they're starving. (snip)
OK, sorry about the rambling. In a nutshell: I HAVE NO IDEA! :laugh:

I'm not returning until I get more comforting information about electricity, groceries, and gasoline. Mayor Thomas got fed up and opened up the Causeway today, but she made a pretty strong statement that things are primitive on the island right now. I really don't want to be stuck in some sort of "Mad Max"-type reality with no power to cook my canned soup, and no gas to drive to the closed restaurant to find food. ;)

I will probably head up there Tuesday/ Wednesday, since classes don't resume until Thursday - maybe I can crash in a PBL room until power is restored @ my place. :laugh:

Oh, and UTKB, if it's any consolation, my boyfriend's fish seem to be doing well, despite the fact he lost power yesterday. Bummer about the food, tho. Good luck coming home to living fishies!

I just got down to galveston today around noon. While my apartment escaped damage, I don't have power so that kind of sucks. It's hot!! Many businesses are opening and there's plenty of gas/groceries/restaurants open and more are continuing to open. The real issue is electricity. And I cried as I passed Yaga's today. :(

Good idea about the PBL rooms. I may just move into one for the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.