UTMB Class of 2009!!!! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
listen to sina because hes telling the truth.

i just finished 1st year too and its really easy to get by here.

also galveston is mindlessly boring sometimes but we have parties here at my house all the time so IM me at thesaddestrobot if you have any stupid questions.

Members don't see this ad.

EvoDevo said:
So did you manage to ride the whole way? :)

Very very proud of you fotolilith! :thumbup:

So by "ride," do you mean "get off and push my bike up the next hill" or "catch a ride with the sag and sweep vehicle cuz I managed to nearly freeze to death the first day"?

Those kinda rides, right? Cuz I was all about those rides. :)

Well, I'd say I was on my bike for 80% of the time... which is about 79% more than I expected.

I definitely followed Evo's advice about how to tackle the hills. However, I just wish I'd listened to common sense and brought warmer clothing, since I eventually had to get treated for hypothermia. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

But, like I said, besides the cold front+rain+15mph winds that hit me, the actual Hill Country Ride for AIDS itself was amazing & I'm so happy that I participated in such an exciting event. I might have even forgotten most of the pain enough to sign up again in the future. :)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....well I guess its good that you're honest! HAHAHA

Sina said:
alright kids,

i am a soon to be 2nd yr and i would be happy to answer all your questions....

only criteria is you have to be a hot female.
we need more of them, im counting on your class.

and no, im not even joking about only helping the hot wimmenz.

Members don't see this ad :)
kaleidoscope83 said:
Fotolilith is AWESOME! That's amazing. You have my respect, I can't even walk a mile without crawling.

Btw, thanks for the email contact with the current UTMB-er that deferred last year. He's been very helpful. :)

Good, I'm glad that everything worked out for you.

Rachelle02 said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA....well I guess its good that you're honest! HAHAHA

Well, it looks like the only way we're gonna get answers from the current students is by sitting out in the sun to get good tans. Wait, scratch that, I don't want skin cancer. I guess we settle for the spray on tans.

Did anyone else get a scholarship request that says "in fifty words or less..." ? How do you write a 50 word essay? Do they want a "personal" paragraph or a "technical" (this is what I want to study) one?

Thanks for the input!

I have not recieved any scholarship information to apply for but maybe I just don't cut it :p oh well, I don't think I have time for it any way. I don't get done with classes until May 26 :(

arierty said:
I have not recieved any scholarship information to apply for but maybe I just don't cut it :p oh well, I don't think I have time for it any way. I don't get done with classes until May 26 :(

Don't feel bad. I've gotten two, but they're automatically handed out to all accepting students graduating from UT Austin (and only UT Austin graduates are eligible). Otherwise, I haven't gotten anything else.

Eh...I guess I'm just not scholarship material.

How long did it take for offers to come in?

kaleidoscope83 said:
Don't feel bad. I've gotten two, but they're automatically handed out to all accepting students graduating from UT Austin (and only UT Austin graduates are eligible). Otherwise, I haven't gotten anything else.

Those are the ones. I just found it odd that they wanted a "50 word essay" - that's less than a paragraph.

I just turned in my two week notice today! :D

Hey everyone. Just came in to say hi. I’m very excited about coming to UTMB and joining you all. I’ll try to post as often as I can. I really need to catch up on all this useful information here. Hehe. Ben

bphan said:
Hey everyone. Just came in to say hi. I’m very excited about coming to UTMB and joining you all. I’ll try to post as often as I can. I really need to catch up on all this useful information here. Hehe. Ben

Welcome aboard! You should get the official "Class of 2009" tattoo. All the cool people are doing it, and who are you to say no to peer pressure. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
fotolilith said:
Welcome aboard! You should get the official "Class of 2009" tattoo. All the cool people are doing it, and who are you to say no to peer pressure. :)

Foto you are such a trouble maker, remember it's time to make friends, not enemies. Either I got left out on this whole tattoo thing or you are tryin' to initiate the new folks, now that's not nice.

It is funny you seem so much sillier on SDN than in real life. :rolleyes: I wonder if I just scared you. :scared: No, I didn't mean silly looking.
Congrats about the job thing. Keep me posted when you all start prematric. I'll be rootin' for you and eager to hear how it goes, I am jealous to not start soon too, I still have to get through three weeks of undergrad!

is there anything due to utmb coming up soon?

i haven't really paid attention to anything going on as i decided to take 17 hours my last semester. it was a dumb idea at the time and continues to hold true.

Your final transcripts is all I know of. I don't know when the vaccination paper work is due...

I think the vaccination papers are due July 1st.

Hey everyone...I just had the most ridicules PPD experience....
I don't have a permanent doc so I went to a random clinic to get my vaccine paper work done...where this suppose to be Dr. is going to do my PPD. I started getting worried when he picked up the vile to read the instruction on the administration of the test :scared: ...he wasn't young or a resident...and even if he was how do you get a license and not know how to do it...so I thought fine at least he is reading instructions...not bad for a male...
But then he fills up the syringe and sticks this PPD almost under a %90 angle...practically into my bone... :wow:
Does anyone what to bet on whether it will be negative... :laugh:
I wish I knew what med school he went to so that I could post a warning ... :thumbdown:
... guess I will have to get a different PPD once I get to TX.

sinephera said:
Hey everyone...I just had the most ridicules PPD experience....
I don't have a permanent doc so I went to a random clinic to get my vaccine paper work done...where this suppose to be Dr. is going to do my PPD. I started getting worried when he picked up the vile to read the instruction on the administration of the test :scared: ...he wasn't young or a resident...and even if he was how do you get a license and not know how to do it...so I thought fine at least he is reading instructions...not bad for a male...
But then he fills up the syringe and sticks this PPD almost under a %90 angle...practically into my bone... :wow:
Does anyone what to bet on whether it will be negative... :laugh:
I wish I knew what med school he went to so that I could post a warning ... :thumbdown:
... guess I will have to get a different PPD once I get to TX.

That is horrible! Wow, I couldn't even imagine. I wonder if I would've stopped him when I could tell he wasn't sure and explain. Hehehe I don't know if I really know that well, but i know its just subdermal. Yikes. How weird.

fotolilith said:

Neato, now all I have to do is figure out where to put it.

AQP said:
Neato, now all I have to do is figure out where to put it.

I could think of a few places.

arierty said:
Foto you are such a trouble maker, remember it's time to make friends, not enemies. Either I got left out on this whole tattoo thing or you are tryin' to initiate the new folks, now that's not nice.

It is funny you seem so much sillier on SDN than in real life. :rolleyes: I wonder if I just scared you. :scared: No, I didn't mean silly looking.
Congrats about the job thing. Keep me posted when you all start prematric. I'll be rootin' for you and eager to hear how it goes, I am jealous to not start soon too, I still have to get through three weeks of undergrad!

No, you didn't scare me, far from it. :cool:

Eh, I'm just trying to make people feel comfortable and right at home... by way of lots of sharp needles and indelible marks. I certainly didn't mean any harm. :)

Hmm...it's been real quiet the last couple of days. What's going on with everyone? Did y'all remember to call/see your mothers on Mother's Day?

GutsyGal said:
Hmm...it's been real quiet the last couple of days. What's going on with everyone? Did y'all remember to call/see your mothers on Mother's Day?

Well, everyone seems to be quitting school/ jobs. I'm slowly starting to think of the PREP Program - who is doing that again?

I know w_darli, but I forgot who else is signed up?

fotolilith said:
Well, everyone seems to be quitting school/ jobs. I'm slowly starting to think of the PREP Program - who is doing that again?

I know w_darli, but I forgot who else is signed up?

i'm not doing the prep program, but i should be in galveston sometime in june trying to find a place to live, or setting up my tent on the beach if it comes to that.

Finding a place to live. can we not talk about that. how about a more relaxing conversation: so, how's the weather down there in Galveston? When do y'all start prep? I've got two weeks of school left, then two more weeks before the wedding and I am feeling so flustered I don't know where to start!!

arierty said:
Finding a place to live. can we not talk about that. how about a more relaxing conversation: so, how's the weather down there in Galveston? When do y'all start prep? I've got two weeks of school left, then two more weeks before the wedding and I am feeling so flustered I don't know where to start!!

Weather: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.php?CityName=Galveston&state=TX&site=HGX - mostly cloudy, around 70-80. So not too bad. Tho definitely wear your sunscreen.

Yeah, it sounds like it's a busy time for you right now - a good friend of mine is getting married in 2 weeks, and she's graduating right now too. She's afraid of becoming a "bridezilla," but under the circumstances it's almost understandable.

We start PREP May 30th, so just a few short weeks. Now I get to start matching faces to screen names. :)

I'm moving to galveston on sunday, I'm sad though, I don't want to leave undergrad...

I had my last day of work today...... it was sad to say goodbye to all the great people I worked with but I am sooooo ready to move to galveston...two weeks :oops:)

Hey guys,

I know it's kind of hard to find places to live in Galveston unless you live here. I saw you guys talking about frat houses and dorms and stuff, so I thought I'd post my little tidbit. I'm a graduating 4th year...if any of you are interested, the condo that I'm living in is gonna be up for rent when I move in a month. Email me if you're interested.

Congratulations to all of you, by the way. I've enjoyed my four years here...it's very laid back and friendly and by the end you've learned a thing or two. No really, it has been good.

Good luck!

fotolilith said:
Did anyone else get a scholarship request that says "in fifty words or less..." ? How do you write a 50 word essay? Do they want a "personal" paragraph or a "technical" (this is what I want to study) one?

Thanks for the input!

6my keyboard\ is\ 6messed\ up\ so\ try\ to\ ignore\ all\ the\ slashes
i\ just\ turned\ in 6my\ 6med\ school\ essay\ and they\ accepted\ it.\ i\ actually\ got\ 11k\ in scholarships\ last\ yr,\ so\ dont\ listen\ to\ the\ 50\ word\ require6ment.\ i\ would\ call\ to\ 6make\ sure\ though.\

medstudent123- do you know when we will be emailed the form to sign up for the scribe service? the website indicates that we should mail in the money and the form by july 1st...... thanks for the info!

wdarli said:
medstudent123- do you know when we will be emailed the form to sign up for the scribe service? the website indicates that we should mail in the money and the form by july 1st...... thanks for the info!

wdarli,

you will get a flyer in one of the many packets of info you will get this summer from UTMB. I'm not quite sure which one, so just keep an eye out for it.

alternatively, i'll try to get someone to post the form on the website soon...

cool..........thanks for the info! :D

wdarli said:

spiffy! Thanks medstudent!

Wow, I went to school with the last person on that page. I wonder if he'll cut me a discount. ;)

Sina said:
6my keyboard\ is\ 6messed\ up\ so\ try\ to\ ignore\ all\ the\ slashes
i\ just\ turned\ in 6my\ 6med\ school\ essay\ and they\ accepted\ it.\ i\ actually\ got\ 11k\ in scholarships\ last\ yr,\ so\ dont\ listen\ to\ the\ 50\ word\ require6ment.\ i\ would\ call\ to\ 6make\ sure\ though.\

So did you just apply to the scholarships that they sent in your first year packet, or did you apply to others? How did you find out about the various scholarships, from the financial aid office? Thanks, and I hope your keyboard stops spazzing!

is there a dress code for classes? some of my friends are pissed off b/c their grad schools are business casual, so i was just wondering if UTMB is like that

Doobiecow7 said:
is there a dress code for classes? some of my friends are pissed off b/c their grad schools are business casual, so i was just wondering if UTMB is like that

the orientation week is formal attire (shirt and tie) but for classes, there is no dress code.

several times a year, you will go to clinics for the POM course, as well as taped interview/history & physical exam of standardized patients, and you will need to dress up and wear your white coat for those.

Hi- I'm fairly new to SDN and just found this thread. Could anyone tell me if there is anything (Deposit, additional info, etc) we need to submit to UTMB?

lcdh said:
Hi- I'm fairly new to SDN and just found this thread. Could anyone tell me if there is anything (Deposit, additional info, etc) we need to submit to UTMB?

You have some immunization forms that are due the by July 1st, but I think we pay tuition during orientation.

I dunno, tho. I just quit my job yesterday, so I will FINALLY have time to go through these papers. :)

good luck!

lcdh said:

if you're in school, i think transcripts for spring semester are due at the end of May

Doobiecow7 said:
if you're in school, i think transcripts for spring semester are due at the end of May

Yup...due May 31st with your degree designation on it. Btw, don't forget to send in your address change if you moved this summer! :)

I don't like all these deadlines and such...didn't we have enough of that with the application process???

ScubaSteve2 said:
I don't like all these deadlines and such...didn't we have enough of that with the application process???

I KNOW! It's like we have some responsibility or some crazy stuff like that! It's OUTRAGEOUS!!!! :mad:

foto,

did prematric start yesterday or is it next Monday? if yesterday how was it? howz your new place/room?

I've got two finals to go then it's finally time for summer!! :D

prematric orientation is on Memorial Day........class starts on tuesday....

Did anyone else's parents get an invite for breakfast with the President of UTMB? I was kinda freaked out, since I hadn't heard anything about it. *Please don't let my parents embarass me before I get there!* :eek:

fotolilith said:
Did anyone else's parents get an invite for breakfast with the President of UTMB? I was kinda freaked out, since I hadn't heard anything about it. *Please don't let my parents embarass me before I get there!* :eek:

I got one of those too, and I was trying to figure out how one of my family members got it when I made no mention of them anywhere on my application.

It's kind of creepy. I'm now searching the bushes outside my residence for spying UTMB administration. I would try to scare them off, but I'm not quite sure how to do that yet.

fotolilith said:

yup, i saw the invite on my parent's desk and I too was kinda freaked out. its weird how our parents are going to meet before many of us meet each other.
Anyways, i started the housing search with a trip to galveston today. It made me realize that i'm excited about going to UTMB but not excited about having to find a place to live. I get to drive down there again tomorrow, woohoo.
so have you prematric people already moved down there?

random questions i thought of for people already at UTMB:
1) what bank and atm's are on campus and most common around galveston?
2) are there any good music stores in galveston?

Status
Not open for further replies.