UT Southwestern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's a silly statement. Harvard and other top programs (UCSF, Columbia, etc) often get the bad rap that the programs are very elitists, which is not the case at all. In Neurology I never found a single program that had an elitist attitude (I encountered only one resident in all my interviews that had such an attitude but never a PD or chair).

Also if you actually look closely one the chairs of Partners went to Univer of Cinncinaty for med school (and although that's a good school, it isn't "pedigree" and by the way it is a state school).

In life it's up to your own efforts to succeed. But it depends what you want in your career. And Harvard isn't the only place to practice academic medicine!

Methlydopa, of couse you can always find exceptions to a rule and I agree with you that you can find people at Harvard that are not pedigreed but dont fool yourself in thinking that pedigree dosent matter. How many of Partner's residents are pedigreed?? My guess is that many (but not all) are from very, very good medical schools. That's not saying that you cant get in from a state scool, I know of at least one.

And its obvious to anybody with worldly experience that knowledge/brilliance will always trump pedigree but again two applicatns with similar scores/personalities and only differing in medical school, one with a state med school and one with a Hopkins/Harvard/UCSF/UPENN/Cloumbia/WashU background, you think the latter is not at an advantage?? If not why do people go to Ivy leagues schools to begin with?? Of course an Ivy league education is no gurantee but it can help.

This of course is my observation, I'm a harvard grad (undergrad) and this is what I heard while I was a Bostonian.

Members don't see this ad.

Methlydopa, of couse you can always find exceptions to a rule and I agree with you that you can find people at Harvard that are not pedigreed but dont fool yourself in thinking that pedigree dosent matter. How many of Partner's residents are pedigreed?? My guess is that many (but not all) are from very, very good medical schools. That's not saying that you cant get in from a state scool, I know of at least one.

And its obvious to anybody with worldly experience that knowledge/brilliance will always trump pedigree but again two applicatns with similar scores/personalities and only differing in medical school, one with a state med school and one with a Hopkins/Harvard/UCSF/UPENN/Cloumbia/WashU background, you think the latter is not at an advantage?? If not why do people go to Ivy leagues schools to begin with?? Of course an Ivy league education is no gurantee but it can help.

This of course is my observation, I'm a harvard grad (undergrad) and this is what I heard while I was a Bostonian.

Firstly, people don't always apply to Ivy League schools, some (let's not forget) can barely afford college/med school and hence are forced to go to their state school despite the fact they might be brilliant. And what are these rankings based on in the first place? By a bunch dits at US News and World Report?

Secondly, people can NEVER have similar scores and similar personalities. How in the world could that ever be possible?? But although were you went to medical school plays some part, it is not as important as you think (at least for Neurology).

Thirdly, you'll see on your neurology interviews you meet people from all walks of life, from "top" schools to ones who are not even ranked in that stupid magazine.

Fourthly I don't hear many faculty members asking each other where they went to med school, but more likely where they did their training.

Firstly, people don't always apply to Ivy League schools, some (let's not forget) can barely afford college/med school and hence are forced to go to their state school despite the fact they might be brilliant. And what are these rankings based on in the first place? By a bunch dits at US News and World Report?

Secondly, people can NEVER have similar scores and similar personalities. How in the world could that ever be possible?? But although were you went to medical school plays some part, it is not as important as you think (at least for Neurology).

Thirdly, you'll see on your neurology interviews you meet people from all walks of life, from "top" schools to ones who are not even ranked in that stupid magazine.

Fourthly I don't hear many faculty members asking each other where they went to med school, but more likely where they did their training.

Look I agree that Neurology is not competitive but ask anybody (ex: GopherBrain) and they will tell you that the top 3-4 places (i.e. Partners, UCSF, Hopkins, Cloumbia) are hard as **** to get into. If you think otherwise you are living in different world than me. Yes you are right anybody that can get into medical school can get into neurology but I was talking about the elite programs!!

Secondly, of couse its not possible for people to have the exact same personality...but I was trying to make a comparison?? Do you get that or not????

Thirdly, interviews and rank list are different. Schools interview more than they rank. I'm tired of arguing with you on this point...I'm out of here..

Members don't see this ad :)
Look I agree that Neurology is not competitive but ask anybody (ex: GopherBrain) and they will tell you that the top 3-4 places (i.e. Partners, UCSF, Hopkins, Cloumbia) are hard as **** to get into. If you think otherwise you are living in different world than me. Yes you are right anybody that can get into medical school can get into neurology but I was talking about the elite programs!!

Secondly, of couse its not possible for people to have the exact same personality...but I was trying to make a comparison?? Do you get that or not????

Thirdly, interviews and rank list are different. Schools interview more than they rank. I'm tired of arguing with you on this point...I'm out of here..

I agree with most of your points. Indeed those programs you mention are hard to get into, but I was stating my opinion so no one gets discouraged from applying to these top programs.

Don't take it personal buddy!:D

So who is interviewing at UTSW? Send me an email and maybe we can chat about our interview experience. Thanks. No offense llogg but I think you and I dont need to converse any further about the subject.