UK vs UMass vs UT Houston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pseudotumor cerebri

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m having a tough time deciding between the three programs and how to rank them on my list. I’m an FMG currently interested in doing a stroke/behavioral fellowship in the future with no particular geographic ties within the country. I’d like to be involved in clinical research but my priority is to feel more than adequately trained as a general neurologist and be competitive for fellowship after residency. I’m also passionate about global neurology and public health. Can any current residents/students throw light on the pros and cons of these three programs?- I would really appreciate some input. I couldn’t find much on previous years’ impressions or the Neuro spreadsheets.

Also, others who had similarly been confused about their list, how did you go about deciding and are you happy with your choice ?

Members don't see this ad.

The only information I can offer is that UT-Houston has a prominent stroke program and a nationally recognized leader in stroke (Grotta) who is very academically active. UMass had Marc Fisher before he retired, current editor of Stroke. I don't much about UK. By the way, this reflects only on the stroke education, and moreso fellowship, but if you're thinking about that seriously and would consider staying, then that's relevant information up front. It has no bearing on the quality of overall neurology education, not sure about their residency programs.