UT southwestern Vs. Tulane

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDraco

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guy,

I have both of these on the same day and I'm looking for input as to which I should go on.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

UTSW bigger name, more surgery, less travel. More money... list goes on. Also if you wanna do retina go to UTSW. Tulane only has exposure to private practice retina, except for a short stint at the VA

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

UTSW easily. Lsu brings in more retina, cornea, and peds in NO. Tulane is still a decent program. UTSW is more academic, also extremely busy, and large resident classes. Good retina, peds, cornea/refractive. Both now have huge and nice indigent hospitals. Caveat-I wasn't able to attend Tulane interview due to conflict, did do lsu and saw the new tulane/lsu hospital though and it was very nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tulane spends a fraction of their time at the new hospital. It's not high surgical volume - the majority of their cases come from VA Biloxi, VA Alexandria and VA New Orleans.

Tulane spends a fraction of their time at the new hospital. It's not high surgical volume - the majority of their cases come from VA Biloxi, VA Alexandria and VA New Orleans.

Well then that settles it.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed at both several years ago, and UTSW hands down was better. I currently know attendings well (they were co residents) at these institutions and UTSW is still by far the better program, whether you want private practice or academics.

Reactions: 1 user