UT Southwestern vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iapplicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NYU is closer to home and honestly, just a lot easier to get to on the interview day given my schedule of other closely clustered interviews. Therefore I'm leaning towards NYU, but I heard good things about UT Southwestern (and don't really hear much about NYU at all).

Any thoughts/advice?

Members don't see this ad.

NYU is closer to home and honestly, just a lot easier to get to on the interview day given my schedule of other closely clustered interviews. Therefore I'm leaning towards NYU, but I heard good things about UT Southwestern (and don't really hear much about NYU at all).

Any thoughts/advice?

I believe there's quite a bit of info about UT Southwestern in the compendium.

http://www.forums.studentdoctor.net...-of-Texas-Southwestern-Medical-School.470792/

Actually a lot of info... ;)

Yes but how does it compare to NYU? Can't find much info about that program. I'd go to UTSW if it was equally accessible but like I said it would be a lot easier to get to NYU. Is that a bad reason to go with NYU instead?

Members don't see this ad :)
An applicant myself and didn't apply to NYU and not interviewing at UTSW so I have no hidden reasons to say this: definitely UTSW.

Obviously everything I've heard about both is not from personal experience but if you are comparing the two UTSW has a far better surgical volume from what I hear from applicants and residents over and over again who have visited both programs. It's not that NYU doesn't meet the numbers but UTSW makes great surgeons.
I've heard this mutilple times from people without UTSW ever being the subject of discussion, it just comes up for some reason whenever someone from UTSW is around.

Everyone says UTSW is a great program if you can survive the three years. They say that for a reason...they are very busy all three years and they are not the most touchy feely program if that's what you are looking for.

I would say:
1. If you don't mind being autonomous and what seems to be a rough call schedule, and
2. Are willing to travel there....I would definitely choose UTSW.

I recently had to make a similar choice between interviewing at a program close to home or one that's farther away but with better overall training.

It sucks to make those decisions and to let things go but you eventually have to pick what's more important to you.

If I were you I would go to UTSW unless you have a connection at NYU that would dramatically increase your chances of matching there (family connections, mentor connections, etc)

Reactions: 1 user
I dont know much about NYU but I have a few friends who went to UTSW
It sounds super intense, limited supervision but lots of pathology and hands on. It is a hard few years but I think you come out being pretty darn strong. Not sure how their fellowships match on the whole but it seems they did reasonably well.