Tulane University "Research"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

percyeye

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to get your thoughts on what Tulane was doing right now creating a page to "publish" case reports against Optometrists.

Ophthalmology - Research - Tulane Optometric Surgery Research Project | medicine

It just shouts unprofessionalism throughout the entire thing. Under FAQ the questions is "What if I get sued?" And the answer is "That’s what we’re hoping for, as we will get public exposure for our efforts."

And most of the FAQ are assuring your name after posting won't get out there. But it seems like a shady endeavor if they have to assure you repeatedly that your name won't get out. This has to hurt Tulane for referrals as the thousands of Optometrists at the next meeting Louisiana will be informed of what is going on.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Just wanted to get your thoughts on what Tulane was doing right now creating a page to "publish" case reports against Optometrists.

Ophthalmology - Research - Tulane Optometric Surgery Research Project | medicine

It just shouts unprofessionalism throughout the entire thing. Under FAQ the questions is "What if I get sued?" And the answer is "That’s what we’re hoping for, as we will get public exposure for our efforts."

And most of the FAQ are assuring your name after posting won't get out there. But it seems like a shady endeavor if they have to assure you repeatedly that your name won't get out. This has to hurt Tulane for referrals as the thousands of Optometrists at the next meeting Louisiana will be informed of what is going on. And I only came upon this myself because it was being discussed on the ODs on Facebook site which has 30,000 members.

Tulane is an academic institution, as such I’m sure they are not hurting for referrals as a private practice would. Also it is quite clear by reading the sight that this is being run by one doctor (Dr Kastl) who no longer sees patients so does not need referrals. Docs in private practice would definitely hurt if their name was exposed as anti-optometrist thus the need for anonymity.

I am sure it is no secret that ophthalmologist and optometrist have been at odds over scope expansion especially in states with aggressive lobby efforts like Louisiana. The next optometric meeting won’t be earth shattering in this regard.

In the FAQ when being sued is mentioned it is in regard to suing the school (Tulane), not doctors reporting cases.

As for the project itself, it’s interesting but unlikely to yield any real results outside of perhaps garnering media attention or the like. I’m sure others will chime in on scope expansion issues.

Tulane is an academic institution, as such I’m sure they are not hurting for referrals as a private practice would. Also it is quite clear by reading the sight that this is being run by one doctor (Dr Kastl) who no longer sees patients so does not need referrals. Docs in private practice would definitely hurt if their name was exposed as anti-optometrist thus the need for anonymity.

I am sure it is no secret that ophthalmologist and optometrist have been at odds over scope expansion especially in states with aggressive lobby efforts like Louisiana. The next optometric meeting won’t be earth shattering in this regard.

In the FAQ when being sued is mentioned it is in regard to suing the school (Tulane), not doctors reporting cases.

As for the project itself, it’s interesting but unlikely to yield any real results outside of perhaps garnering media attention or the like. I’m sure others will chime in on scope expansion issues.
I just find the whole thing petty and am surprised an academic institution is allowing someone to attach this to their name. I really don't think much will come of it either.

And for young Ophthalmologists and residents out there there has been this dumb battle since the beginning of time. But you'll find the most successful practices out there are ones where both professions work well together. I was mentored by 3 different Ophthalmology practices while training in school which is genius on their part. They have an entire network of ODs all over the state and city that have been through their practices and through referrals have built the largest and busiest practice in the state.

Members don't see this ad :)
My fiancé is an optometrist and my sister is an ophthalmologist so I find this very interesting. I think people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, i.e. if you or your colleagues have ever made errors you might not want to dive into finger pointing. "When you make a mistake it's because you're a reckless idiot, when I make a mistake it's because I'm only human."

It's an academic institution with "accreditation with warning" status. This isn't that shocking.

Reactions: 1 user
This is the most dramatic thing I have seen on a medical school website, lol. Surely there have to be far better ways to criticize and counter the expanding scope of optometrists

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
its more then unprofessional, the premise itself is just plain dumb. If they were also to compile malpractice verdicts against ophtho's they would be able to sink a battleship with all of the cases. What does that prove? nothing. It sounds like something my 8 year old would come up with.