UT Houston Public Health-- Response/Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SOPHAS submitted 11/2/11.

Admitted 2/23/12.

I received only one email saying I got in and that I would receive further correspondence. Nada! So I've called the Student Affairs office a few times... each time, I was transferred to another person who said, "Check back in a couple of weeks." So I called again last week and was transferred to the Registrar's Office

Apparently they had to create my username and email for me and I should be receiving that information soon.... but we'll see how that goes...

How ridiculous - I want to go to UTSPH but they're not giving me any way to actually ACCEPT MY ADMISSION.

Members don't see this ad.

SOPHAS submitted 11/2/11.

Admitted 2/23/12.

I received only one email saying I got in and that I would receive further correspondence. Nada! So I've called the Student Affairs office a few times... each time, I was transferred to another person who said, "Check back in a couple of weeks." So I called again last week and was transferred to the Registrar's Office

Apparently they had to create my username and email for me and I should be receiving that information soon.... but we'll see how that goes...

How ridiculous - I want to go to UTSPH but they're not giving me any way to actually ACCEPT MY ADMISSION.

I received the department notification email of my acceptance and have not received any offical university notification. This makes me very nervous and hope they give me something before my final exam period. UT adds a lot pressure to my stressed semester.

Well we're nearing into April right now, so I thought I would get a status check with everyone else who has applied to UTH. How many (if any) applied in January/February and STILL HAVE NOT heard back from UTH? For those who have heard back, what are your concentrations and has anyone been notified of scholarships? How many have reached out to the admissions staff and received no feedback?
What bothers me the most about all of this is that even the erros/problems are inconsistent! I received an email notification that they had received my application in early March (SOPHAS mailed mid Feb), and a few days later I was emailed a username and password for myUTH. I started checking my admissions status frequently on myUTH, then one day, it had changed from "application complete" to "admitted". I then clicked on the link to "accept" my admission. Shortly after I received an acceptance email from the admissions department. When I logged back in to myUTH again, I noticed my admissions status and changed back to "application complete" instead of "admitted". I called the admission office, was tranferred back and forth to the registar, and they said it would be fixed shortly and that i was in fact accepted. After a week went by and myUTH hadn't been fixed, I called again, and they said it would be fixed in "a few weeks".

I've never recieved an official letter in the mail, have not heard anything about scholarhsips, and my myUTH admissions status still just says "application complete". I've emailed the department to which I've been accepted (MPACH) and they've just said it should all be taken care of in a "few weeks" and that I'll get an official letter in the mail and a scholarship decision in a "few weeks".

Now a month has gone by since my original notifiacation of acceptance, and I still don't know about scholarships. Has anyone had a similar experience to mine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Man, it sounds like almost everybody is having problems with UT admissions. :/

I need some advice from you guys. I just heard back from my second choice school, Ohio State, and I was admitted (yay!). The bad news: they have a deadline to accept/decline the offer of April 15 and I have yet to hear back from my first choice school, UT. I tried calling Tiaresa Carter, as some people had suggested upthread, yesterday to see if I would get a decision from UT within the next two weeks, but didn't get a real answer from her. When I asked again when I could expect to hear back, she said maybe 2-4 weeks and didn't even sound too certain of that. I am wondering how people have been contacting the department to which they applied directly, as I think I may be able to get a better answer from them or let them know about this situation. How would I contact admissions for biostatistics at UT?

Or would it be better to ask Ohio State for an extension? Is that even possible?

Man, it sounds like almost everybody is having problems with UT admissions. :/

I need some advice from you guys. I just heard back from my second choice school, Ohio State, and I was admitted (yay!). The bad news: they have a deadline to accept/decline the offer of April 15 and I have yet to hear back from my first choice school, UT. I tried calling Tiaresa Carter, as some people had suggested upthread, yesterday to see if I would get a decision from UT within the next two weeks, but didn't get a real answer from her. When I asked again when I could expect to hear back, she said maybe 2-4 weeks and didn't even sound too certain of that. I am wondering how people have been contacting the department to which they applied directly, as I think I may be able to get a better answer from them or let them know about this situation. How would I contact admissions for biostatistics at UT?

Or would it be better to ask Ohio State for an extension? Is that even possible?

Hello,

I contacted my department directly and the let me know when my application was up for review. I emailed them last week and they told me it was recommended for review on April 6th and that if I didn't hear back by then--to contact them.

Which department did you apply to?

Sorry, ignore this post, still learning the interface.

Hello,

I contacted my department directly and the let me know when my application was up for review. I emailed them last week and they told me it was recommended for review on April 6th and that if I didn't hear back by then--to contact them.

Which department did you apply to?

I applied to biostatistics...MS if it makes a difference, but I would think it's all the same.

What bothers me the most about all of this is that even the erros/problems are inconsistent! I received an email notification that they had received my application in early March (SOPHAS mailed mid Feb), and a few days later I was emailed a username and password for myUTH. I started checking my admissions status frequently on myUTH, then one day, it had changed from "application complete" to "admitted". I then clicked on the link to "accept" my admission. Shortly after I received an acceptance email from the admissions department. When I logged back in to myUTH again, I noticed my admissions status and changed back to "application complete" instead of "admitted". I called the admission office, was tranferred back and forth to the registar, and they said it would be fixed shortly and that i was in fact accepted. After a week went by and myUTH hadn't been fixed, I called again, and they said it would be fixed in "a few weeks".

I've never recieved an official letter in the mail, have not heard anything about scholarhsips, and my myUTH admissions status still just says "application complete". I've emailed the department to which I've been accepted (MPACH) and they've just said it should all be taken care of in a "few weeks" and that I'll get an official letter in the mail and a scholarship decision in a "few weeks".

Now a month has gone by since my original notifiacation of acceptance, and I still don't know about scholarships. Has anyone had a similar experience to mine?
Yes, I submitted in January. Got the confirmation e-mail and log in info around March 1st and got accepted March 7th (by e-mail). If I log into my UTH it still says "application complete". I have had no other correspondance from them since then, and I know nothing about scholarships or who my advisor would be. I honestly don't feel like I have enough info to make an informed decision. Most PhD programs expect a response by the 15th and everywhere else is offering me funding so UTH is pretty much ruled out for me unless they can provide me with more info in the next few days.

emailing them and calling them makes me feel that I am pushing them and so guilty about myself.....

Has everyone heard from UT-Houston by now? My application on the myUTH has been in "application complete" since early February. It's down for maintenance this week...so I can't check to see if anything has changed.

Has anyone heard anything about the scholarhsip?

Members don't see this ad :)
No scholarship info...nothing in the mail...

Got the official email from Miss Carter today.

Accepted into the Epi MPH.

Hey congratulations! Are you going to accept?

I am wary of hitting the accept button on myUTH because I haven't received any mail with instructions from them ... anyone else in the same boat?

I am wary of hitting the accept button on myUTH because I haven't received any mail with instructions from them ... anyone else in the same boat?
When I hit the "accept" link in myUTH, my status ended up changing from "accepted" back to "application complete", but I don't think that will end up messing anything up as far as admission goes. I heard back from Ms. Carter yesterday regarding my issues, and they don't know when all the myUTH problems will be resolved. She also said that if we are awarded any scholarhsip/traineeships, we will receive email notification by the end of next week. She also said that official admissions letters will be mailed out within the next two weeks.

Hey QueCee,

I already accepted!

I think it's safe to say you can accept and then await instructions. The instructions should just be vaccination updates and library card paperwork.

Can people who were admitted to UT's school of public health please list yours gpas and gres!

They only calculate last 60 hours?

I finally got my acceptance today from UT-H after applying in January lol :) Now I have to see if I get a scholarship/traineeship to see if I get in-state tuition. That's the clincher right there. I guess I will find out next week! Fingers crossed ;)

Last edited:
Thanks, hopefully I can be one your peers this fall!

Hey all, just to let you know I finally got an e-mail about scholarship information. (after it took so long to hear back and I accepted at another school... lol). It said I was selected for in-state-tuition plus $5,000 a year, and that they would e-mail me with further information on Monday. I have still not received anything from them in the mail. So those still waiting, info might be coming through e-mail not snail mail.

Hey all, just to let you know I finally got an e-mail about scholarship information. (after it took so long to hear back and I accepted at another school... lol). It said I was selected for in-state-tuition plus $5,000 a year, and that they would e-mail me with further information on Monday. I have still not received anything from them in the mail. So those still waiting, info might be coming through e-mail not snail mail.

That's a pretty incredible deal, since it's only about 8k a year to begin with. But you're a PhD candidate right? Congratulations on Yale! I did the same thing, when it took UTH so long to respond I decided that I would send in my enrollment deposit to another school. Not that I am expecting an offer like yours, but if I got one I would definitely take it. I wonder if there have been any MPH scholarship offers yet. That's a good point through and keeping with the other postings on here, it looks like announcements will be made over email regarding scholarship status. Hopefully in the next week or two!

Last edited:
Has anyone received anything in their snail mail ?

heard anything about the scholarships? good luck to you all.

Last edited:
I just called the admission office and it seems like if you don't receive any email last Friday, it means you are not awarded for the scholarship. looks like I did not get it.

it is very conflicting to the email I received last Friday,which says the scholarship will emailed this week. anyone wants to check again with the admission office?

Nope. When I asked about this last week she said scholarship emails would go out this week and official admissions letters will go out in the mail either this week or next week.

I just called Tiaresa Carter and she said that they let all of the applicants know last Friday via email and if you didn't get an email you didn't receive a scholarship or traineeship... I will hope for the best that there was an 'oversight' but I'm not holding my breath :(

I just called Tiaresa Carter and she said that they let all of the applicants know last Friday via email and if you didn't get an email you didn't receive a scholarship or traineeship... I will hope for the best that there was an 'oversight' but I'm not holding my breath :(

me too. Especially, without the scholarship, I probably won't be able to come to this program.

:(:(:(:(:(

YES!!! At last, I called the Registrar's Office and had to speak with their IT Help Desk people. They FINALLY figured out my account stuff so I was able to log onto myUTH and accept my offer of admission.

All this time from the initial acceptance email from FEBRUARY 23rd. #Ridiculous

YES!!! At last, I called the Registrar's Office and had to speak with their IT Help Desk people. They FINALLY figured out my account stuff so I was able to log onto myUTH and accept my offer of admission.

All this time from the initial acceptance email from FEBRUARY 23rd. #Ridiculous
Mhpe--now when you check your admissions status in myUTH, does it still show you as "accepted"? After I clicked the "accept admission" link on myUTH my admissions status changed from "accepted" back to "application complete".

I have the same situation. but they will know I hope

This is not good :( I was really counting on getting a scholarship...kind of upset...

I have the same situation. but they will know I hope

Yup, it does say "application complete," but I think it'll be fine. I'll call around and see if that's normal. =)

I just called admissions (i.e. was transferred there) and they said the "Complete" doesn't refer to your application status. It's more of a "Okay, your admission is complete, hang on for the School of Public Health to send you an email with more info."

And now.... we all contact the Student Affairs office about an email. =D

I just called admissions (i.e. was transferred there) and they said the "Complete" doesn't refer to your application status. It's more of a "Okay, your admission is complete, hang on for the School of Public Health to send you an email with more info."

And now.... we all contact the Student Affairs office about an email. =D

So, the green "complete" circle means "admitted", or "being considered for admission"? It's been "complete" for me since February, but I have yet to receive any more information...

I was under the impression "admission is complete" once the circle turns into a check-mark.

Yup, according to Registrar, green complete = admitted. I just emailed the program coordinator of my division to see if she knows what's going on....

I'll keep y'all posted. =]

Yeah, please let us know what the coordinator says.

I had e-mailed my department coordinator last week, and she replied that they have seen an "unprecedented" amount of applications this year and to give it a few more weeks for a decision. However, if the green circle actually means admitted, now I'm wondering if that was more of a generic response.

Definitely a bit confusing.

Just got a response from the coordinator from the Division of Management, Policy, & Community Health. She informed me that the email to be sent out once your status is green-circle-complete is automated. It SHOULD be sent out about two days after you formally accept your admission.

But you're telling me you've been green-circle-complete since February?!?!

And now we're back to square one. =(

She also gave me this link: https://sph.uth.tmc.edu/current-students/newly-admitted-students/

I've been using it to send in my background check, immunization records, etc.

It's just... I'd like some type of formal communication from the SPH/ Division so admitted students aren't scrambling. It's like the blind leading the blind and UT expects us to sink or swim with the admissions process. What a hot mess.

Yeah, the circle has been green/completed since February, when I originally received an e-mail with the myUTH instructions. I never got an e-mail after that about anything (other than the one from my coordinator a few weeks ago in reply to my e-mail seeking information).

I'm thinking of going to visit the campus sometime in May. Has anybody visited on their own (not the open house)? Were you able to sit in on classes and meet with professors?

Just got the official acceptance email from the Associate Dean for Student Affairs telling me who my faculty advisor is for the program and that I have until June 22, 2012 to confirm enrollment.

Orientation is August 21 - 23.

The official letter will arrive in about two weeks via snail mail.

Whoot whoot.

Just got the official acceptance email from the Associate Dean for Student Affairs telling me who my faculty advisor is for the program and that I have until June 22, 2012 to confirm enrollment.

Orientation is August 21 - 23.

The official letter will arrive in about two weeks via snail mail.

Whoot whoot.
Geez...this is all over the place. I was admitted for an MPACH concentration in early March (via a general email from the office of admissions) but I haven't gotten any other official acceptance emails with any details.

Any of those mythical scholarship/traineeship recipients out there? I have heard feedback from PhD candidates but no MPH candidates. Just interested to know how many are out there. :)

Geez...this is all over the place. I was admitted for an MPACH concentration in early March (via a general email from the office of admissions) but I haven't gotten any other official acceptance emails with any details.

It really is all over the place. I was admitted February 23rd and just this week was able to get my username and password to log onto myUTH to accept my admission. And THEN the official email came out a day later. :eek:

Just an FYI regarding transcripts...

If you're attending UTSPH in the fall, they need transcripts from all institutions.

If you studied abroad and have coursework that shows up on your degree-granting institution as transferred courses, you STILL NEED to send a transcript from the foreign institution. I know, such a hassle...

If the coursework is designated as transferred coursework on your US institution.... you're fine, that transcript from State University/ etc. will suffice.