UT Houston Public Health-- Response/Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is getting silly. If I don't hear back by this Friday I'll most likely give a little call again and see whats up.

Anyone got an update?

I'm doing the same, it's beginning to get to crunch time and I need to start determining where I'm going. Someone on here posted that UTSPH took all the way till mid May to get scholarship offers out for some people which I personally think is pretty crazy because most schools require their admissions deposit by May 1st. While May 1st is 6 weeks away, I'm flying to Atlanta/Emory in a couple weeks to check it out and would like to fly to Houston as well but I'm not about to drop a few hundred bucks for the flight/hotel unless I KNOW I'm in. It's funny because when I call for a status update I feel like admissions perceives me as unreasonable and for a second I feel unreasonable too. Then I remember that they have had my application for a quarter of a year LOL!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing the same, it's beginning to get to crunch time and I need to start determining where I'm going. Someone on here posted that UTSPH took all the way till mid May to get scholarship offers out for some people which I personally think is pretty crazy because most schools require their admissions deposit by May 1st. While May 1st is 6 weeks away, I'm flying to Atlanta/Emory in a couple weeks to check it out and would like to fly to Houston as well but I'm not about to drop a few hundred bucks for the flight/hotel unless I KNOW I'm in. It's funny because when I call for a status update I feel like admissions perceives me as unreasonable and for a second I feel unreasonable too. Then I remember that they have had my application for a quarter of a year LOL!

Yeah Miss Carter seems annoyed sometimes, but then sometimes she seems real relaxed. Like someone else mentioned, I'm really hoping the delay is because we are getting some financial package!

Agreed! The admissions office is bananas! It took 3 or 4 months for me to get accepted into Texas; I got into Minnesota is less than 3 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
UT H is certainly driving me crazy. I understand that they are busy and can not reply to every student on the admission issue, but their service and efficacy does not match this school's reputation and rank. We are all very serious in considering the graduate school choice and love to explore our chances in this school. hope UT does not cool down our passion before we even get in.

So I called and spoke with someone in Student Affairs about retrieving a username and password for myUTH to accept (or decline) my acceptance.

She informed me that I wasn't even "in the system" yet and that I would just have to wait another couple of weeks to call back and see if my information has been downloaded into the system yet.

Since the initial acceptance email on February 23rd, I have yet to receive any additional emails or postal mail concerning the next step. I found the link for newly admitted students and have been following that and getting the paperwork done (https://sph.uth.tmc.edu/current-students/newly-admitted-students/) but other than that, no guidance whatsoever.

If this is how efficient they are with admissions, I shudder to think of what they're like if you want to do an international practicum, or want to do some kind of interdisciplinary research....

What worries me more than anything is when they will get out the fin aid packets considering how long it is taking them to just send out the decisions. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to have to send in the deposit for another school due to deadline and then eat the deposit if UTSPH offers something good. Maybe I'm just being a negative Nancy ;)

So I called and spoke with someone in Student Affairs about retrieving a username and password for myUTH to accept (or decline) my acceptance.

She informed me that I wasn't even "in the system" yet and that I would just have to wait another couple of weeks to call back and see if my information has been downloaded into the system yet.

Since the initial acceptance email on February 23rd, I have yet to receive any additional emails or postal mail concerning the next step. I found the link for newly admitted students and have been following that and getting the paperwork done (https://sph.uth.tmc.edu/current-students/newly-admitted-students/) but other than that, no guidance whatsoever.

If this is how efficient they are with admissions, I shudder to think of what they're like if you want to do an international practicum, or want to do some kind of interdisciplinary research....
I got an acceptance e-mail from them too on 3/5, but no postal letter or any other info. They gave me a myuth log-in name and pw about a week before this, but when I log in there and look under admission status it doesn't even say I'm admitted. Could my acceptance e-mail have been a glitch? LOL I find this very weird... especially weird that I have gotten no info about funding, which is so crucial for PhD applicants to make a decision.... you'd think they'd put some energy into recruiting us once we got in?

UT H is certainly driving me crazy. I understand that they are busy and can not reply to every student on the admission issue, but their service and efficacy does not match this school's reputation and rank. We are all very serious in considering the graduate school choice and love to explore our chances in this school. hope UT does not cool down our passion before we even get in.

I am having the same reaction. I've been offered admission, but I'm considering UT-Houston along with 3 other schools (AZ, GW, Tulane) I was initially really excited about the idea of deciding to go there. Not sure I like the fact that it's been impossible getting any information from them.

Of those that have been informed of acceptance, has ANYONE received ANY news on new student scholarships/traineeships? The lack of communication is getting out of control.

No news either :/ I'm getting kind of ansy and might just accept my offer at UNC.:shrug:

That's the whole thing that I find so weird about the admissions cycle, UTSPH is a competitive program meaning they naturally have competitive applicants who have options where to attend. I have been excited about the prospect about UTSPH because it's a great value, in the med center meaning great internships/practical opportunities, and I love the city of Houston and demeanor of the people of Texas in general. With that said there's a part of me which wants to throw down my deposit to Emory every week that goes by that I get no response or any indication of feedback from them. Logic tells me to wait but I have to be honest it's tempting.

Have y'all contacted your respective departments directly? I did that when I was trying to get through there and found them to be more helpful than the actual Admissions folks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have y'all contacted your respective departments directly? I did that when I was trying to get through there and found them to be more helpful than the actual Admissions folks.

That's actually a great idea--what information were you ablet obtain this way?

That's actually a great idea--what information were you ablet obtain this way?

I emailed to inquire about the status of my application and when I would be receiving notification. This was back when I wasn't getting through to Ms. Carter in admissions. I would assume that since the department admitted you, the administrator or whoever would be able to answer questions about scholarship packages and whatnot too.

I emailed to inquire about the status of my application and when I would be receiving notification. This was back when I wasn't getting through to Ms. Carter in admissions. I would assume that since the department admitted you, the administrator or whoever would be able to answer questions about scholarship packages and whatnot too.

I heard back from someone in the department to which I have been admitted, but she didn't answer my scholarship questions. Just told me to check my myUTH status again in a few weeks :/

I went ahead and asked the department person (MPACH) about scholarships again...she replied and said notices will be mailed out in a few weeks. :confused:

Has anybody got accepted by the Epidemiology department for MPH coz I am finding it really weird that I din't even receive an acceptance email but myUTH did show that I was admitted? Is it with only the Epi department or other departments too...:(

@elleari I do think they will still take a lot of time since last year they it sent out during may...

So I called miss Carter today and she didnt pick up.

I shot an email to the Epi department so I can hopefully get an update.

Lets just be patient all!

Hey All,

I emailed the Epi department admissions and got a reply back this morning. They stated my application has not yet been reviewed and they will most likely review it later in the semester as I'm a certificate student and they would wish to see my progress.

I think that means 2 more months of waiting :(

Hi, I just called some lady from the biostatistic department. I told her that I want to visit Houston on the open house day if I am accepted ( which is this Friday), so when can I get update on the admission status is very important. She told me the earliest time they can make decision is tomorrow. just keep my finger crossed.

Hi, I just called some lady from the biostatistic department. I told her that I want to visit Houston on the open house day if I am accepted ( which is this Friday), so when can I get update on the admission status is very important. She told me the earliest time they can make decision is tomorrow. just keep my finger crossed.
Can you post the website with info about the open house? I couldn't find anything on their website...

yes
Greetings from the University of Texas, School of Public Health. Thank you for registering for the upcoming Open House on March 23, 2012. We are looking forward to meeting you during your visit.

The tentative schedule is as follows:
8:00 a.m. Registration, Meet & Greet (School of Public Health Lobby)
Light Breakfast Served
8:30 a.m. Welcome & Introductions
8:45 a.m. Overview of SPH & Admission Process
9:45 a.m. Break
9:55 a.m. Student Services
10:20 a.m. Student to Student Meeting
10:45 a.m. Break-out Sessions with Divisional Representatives
Epidemiology
Health Promotion & Behavioral Sciences
Biostatistics
Management Policy & Community Health
Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences
11:45 a.m. Wrap-Up / Q & A
12:00 a.m. University of Texas Shuttle Bus Tour of Texas Medical Center

yes
Greetings from the University of Texas, School of Public Health. Thank you for registering for the upcoming Open House on March 23, 2012. We are looking forward to meeting you during your visit.

The tentative schedule is as follows:
8:00 a.m. Registration, Meet & Greet (School of Public Health Lobby)
Light Breakfast Served
8:30 a.m. Welcome & Introductions
8:45 a.m. Overview of SPH & Admission Process
9:45 a.m. Break
9:55 a.m. Student Services
10:20 a.m. Student to Student Meeting
10:45 a.m. Break-out Sessions with Divisional Representatives
Epidemiology
Health Promotion & Behavioral Sciences
Biostatistics
Management Policy & Community Health
Environmental & Occupational Health Sciences
11:45 a.m. Wrap-Up / Q & A
12:00 a.m. University of Texas Shuttle Bus Tour of Texas Medical Center

You can register here:

https://sph.uth.tmc.edu/prospective-students/rsvp-open-house/

I think I might register as well. This seems pretty neat!

no update today, still hoping .........be patient be patient

I just walked my dog, then came home to an e-mail from admissions - I was accepted for MS in epi!!! Wow, I'm both surprised and SO happy! Good luck to everybody else still waiting, I hope you hear good news soon :)

I just walked my dog, then came home to an e-mail from admissions - I was accepted for MS in epi!!! Wow, I'm both surprised and SO happy! Good luck to everybody else still waiting, I hope you hear good news soon :)

Care to share when you applied--confirmed from SOPHAS and what not?

Care to share when you applied--confirmed from SOPHAS and what not?

Sure - I e-submitted to SOPHAS 1/9/12, they sent it 2/14/12, and I got a notice from the admissions department that they had received my application on 3/1. I hope that helps!

Congratulations!!! :) I'm still waiting for healthcare management, fingers crossed!!

Sure - I e-submitted to SOPHAS 1/9/12, they sent it 2/14/12, and I got a notice from the admissions department that they had received my application on 3/1. I hope that helps!

Well Congrats!

hah, wonder how they process these applications!

Congratulations!

and I don't feel very hopeful to get in

Yeah, I am accepted to the MPH in biostatistics, so.......happy

Yeah, I am accepted to the MPH in biostatistics, so.......happy

Congrats man! Hah and the day before you were saying otherwise!

Care to share when you applied and had everything confirmed?

Thanks!

Thank you. SOPHAS mails on Feb 14th , receive confirmation on March 1st

and I call the Department for my update, which I think helps

I was at UTHs open house today and was able to meet some of the faculty in the Epi department as well as meet the two admissions counselors for Epi.

They said they are in their final rounds of reviewing applications (for Epi). I should also note that during the general presentation--UTH does NOT notify you if you are not accepted. You just never hear back from them.

Luckily my application still hasn't been reviewed--but Monday will be their next meeting so here's to hoping for good news then!

I was at the Open House. really enjoy the time there

I was at UTHs open house today and was able to meet some of the faculty in the Epi department as well as meet the two admissions counselors for Epi.

They said they are in their final rounds of reviewing applications (for Epi). I should also note that during the general presentation--UTH does NOT notify you if you are not accepted. You just never hear back from them.

Luckily my application still hasn't been reviewed--but Monday will be their next meeting so here's to hoping for good news then!

Looking at some of the posting on here, I have seen some people who have gotten letters of declination from UTSPH, so perhaps this is just an Epi thing? I find it odd (though not unbelievable given their behavior at times) for them to take a position where they do not send a declination letter, because wouldn't this generate additional hassles for them and the admissions staff with candidates always phoning in for follow-ups on the status of their application?

Perhaps that's just wishful thinking coming from someone who has been waiting since January to get a response from them. :( For those who visited, how were the facilities at UT? Some of the pictures on the website look dated but I am interested if this is accurate or not.

Looking at some of the posting on here, I have seen some people who have gotten letters of declination from UTSPH, so perhaps this is just an Epi thing? I find it odd (though not unbelievable given their behavior at times) for them to take a position where they do not send a declination letter, because wouldn't this generate additional hassles for them and the admissions staff with candidates always phoning in for follow-ups on the status of their application?

Perhaps that's just wishful thinking coming from someone who has been waiting since January to get a response from them. :( For those who visited, how were the facilities at UT? Some of the pictures on the website look dated but I am interested if this is accurate or not.

I think maybe realrom can correct me--but I believe miss Carter said that with the transition from UTLink to myUTH, they wont be sending out rejection letters.

This was at the beginning before we branched off to our divisions.

Lets hope we all get in next round!

For the sake,
159V - 155Q - 4.0W
Cumulative - 3.35
Upper Division - 3.8

The whole UTSPH admissions situation is actually beginning to become kind of humorous. I am going to give them until the end of the week and I will call because that will be officially the end of the six week period from when they sent me my admissions confirmation stating I would hear within 4-6 weeks. If they don't send out notices then they're acting contradictory to their own emails which they sent out, which would be rather unprofessional if you ask me. Here's to hoping that no news is good news thus far.

Wish I knew! I coulda said ello!

Yes, wish I knew. I think I miss some information about presentation since I focused on mainly the scholarship information. I have been to Emory Public Health building, so I would say that Houston facilities are not very updated like Emory.

Faculties are friendly,and definitely call if you have not heard from them very long. Explain your situation and hope they will get back soon. I am anxious about the scholarship too, and probably will email them next week.

Has anyone who got accepted to the epi department received an acceptance packet or anything via postal mail? I got an acceptance e-mail 3 weeks ago, but so far no other info and nothing via postal mail.

Nope, I haven't received anything in the mail yet .... I was hoping for more information on scholarships and such. Does anybody know what the deadline is for accepting?

From what I heard at the Open House. they are sending scholarship this week or next week and the requirement is 3.5 or above GPA and 1200 above GRE.

That's pretty cool. I wonder if the scholarship is for both years or just the first year of school. Either way it's a pretty awesome deal. I see they raised the tuition a little bit this year but for instate at about 16-18k for the whole degree you can't beat it.

That's pretty cool. I wonder if the scholarship is for both years or just the first year of school. Either way it's a pretty awesome deal. I see they raised the tuition a little bit this year but for instate at about 16-18k for the whole degree you can't beat it.

I hope they dont wait until May to inform everyone on the application and scholarship. Now it looks that the process is very very slow. hope for the best:oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

Well we're nearing into April right now, so I thought I would get a status check with everyone else who has applied to UTH. How many (if any) applied in January/February and STILL HAVE NOT heard back from UTH? For those who have heard back, what are your concentrations and has anyone been notified of scholarships? How many have reached out to the admissions staff and received no feedback?