USUHS vs. OUWB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OUWB vs. USUHS

• OUWB

• USUHS

Results are only viewable after voting.

neuroblast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think I have narrowed it down to these two schools.

Disclaimer: Yes I know what military medicine is, the commitment, and that it's "not for everyone." so now that's out of the way...

A little about me: I'm non-trad app, older, and reapplicant. I'm obsessed with traveling. I'm the ride in the back of truck with locals through the mountains kind-of-traveler. I am single & no kids. I don't know what speciality I'm interested in, and I don't care about getting into a "competitive" residency. If I had to guess now it would be EM, Surgery, Neuro, or Radiology. I want to end up doing a lot of global health work (go for months, not for a week). After medical school/residency, I'd eventually like to end up living abroad or in the Northeast, Miami, or S. California.

OUWB:
Great interview. Amazing hospital & faculty. They offered me a FULL TUITION SCHOLARSHIP. But I'd still have to take out loans for room & board, books, etc. The students were great and my overall impression of the school is very high. It's still a new school though & it doesn't have much benchside research, but good amount of clinical at the hospital. I'm not a fan of the midwest at all. My biggest fear with civilian medicine is that I'm not a big 9-5, same job, same location, same people kind of person. I like change & variety.

USUHS:
I also loved the interview here. They have an amazing simulation center, the best I've seen. They also have a great hospital. I'm a huge fan of DC and the school is a train ride away. I'll live near my dad. Everything is paid for + Salary. Overall the education and fit seems great & I like the fact that I can go to a variety of locations for clinicals and residency & beyond. I do know some bases/military hospitals are in the middle of no where & you don't always get your choice of location. Also, I have never been in the military before, but I have family members who have, so I'm not too afraid of that aspect of the school. But, my biggest worry is that while in med school I'll fall in love with a subspeciality and I know residencies/fellowships are a little more beaucratic in the military.

tl;dr
OUWB: + Full tuition scholarship (no commitment), + hospital, - new school, - less research, - location
USUHS: + Full Ride & Salary, + Overall education, + location, - military bureaucracy

Members don't see this ad.

USUHS all the way. Going there this fall! State of the art education!

Sounds like you prefer USUHS, go with your gut.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for everyone's opinions. Yea... I'm leaning towards USUHS. But idk how to turn down a full tuition scholarship that doesn't have any commitments, (even though I'd still have to take out loans for the rest of the COA).

Thanks for everyone's opinions. Yea... I'm leaning towards USUHS. But idk how to turn down a full tuition scholarship that doesn't have any commitments, (even though I'd still have to take out loans for the rest of the COA).
You pretty much just send an email to the admissions committee at OU letting them know your decision.

But seriously, I wouldn't think about the money you have to take out in loans. I wouldn't even put that much weight on the med school itself. Do you want to serve or not? That should be the main question you are asking yourself at this point.

Reactions: 1 user