USUHS Mathematics Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Long Way to Go

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about USUHS' mathematics requirement, which is "one semester of calculus (precalculus or computer science courses are not acceptable)". They also do not accept AP credit. I received AP credit for Calculus I & II from my school, and have taken (ECON) Stats (had a prerequisite of Calc I) and (MATH) Linear Algebra (had a prerequisite of Calc II). I emailed USUHS to see if this would be acceptable to them, and they replied the following:

"Our requirement is that you must have at least one semester of Calculus. Because Algebra and Statistics are not a requirement we will not accept them for Calculus. If those courses are Calculus based, then it must be mentioned under Course Name in the AMCAS application so that it can be verified."

From my reading of this, it seems that the USUHS admissions staff is mainly interested in keeping people from trying to use College Algebra or College Precalculus for their math requirement, and something like Linear Algebra should be OK because it is a more difficult course than either of the Calculus courses. However, because it was simply titled "Linear Algebra," do I have to take Calculus III to apply to USUHS? Or is there some way I could explain it off?

Members don't see this ad.

I think their requirements are pretty clear and in line with the standard for most medical schools. Take a college Calc I course...

Actually, not really. Most medical schools are fine with you using AP credit or an upper level math course, as linear algebra most certainly is (Here is an example of Columbia's course, which seems slightly more rigorous than mine). I don't even know if my university would let take Calc I for credit anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.