USUHS Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Blue58

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A thread for all those applying to the USUHS class of 2013 (beginning fall '09)

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard anything regarding interviews so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
interview info, incl dates - http://www.usuhs.mil/adm/interview/
general usuhs info - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=187188&page=15

I interviewed on 25-Sep and will probably hear back around 15-Oct.

Yeah, hopefully the Sept people will hear on Oct. 15th... otherwise we'll have to wait till Nov. 1st, right? One of the forms they handed out on interview day said that they hand out conditional acceptances on the 1st and 15th of each month... don't know if that's true in actuality though since it doesn't seem like it was the case in the past.

i believe it is the case because the head of admissions will be making phone calls informing those who were accepted. This way she only has to plan for all the phone calls twice a month....and i would be lying if i wasnt hoping that oct 2nd people also heard back on the 15th =D

i believe it is the case because the head of admissions will be making phone calls informing those who were accepted. This way she only has to plan for all the phone calls twice a month....and i would be lying if i wasnt hoping that oct 2nd people also heard back on the 15th =D

I hope you get a call on the 15th, but calling people from 3 interview dates would be a lot of phone call for her to make in one day. Maybe only the Sept 17th people will hear. :scared:

got the call from dr. Calloway at around 1pm!! USUHS class of 2013 baby!

EMT what branch?

got the call from Dr. Calloway at about 115 CST. Conditionally accepted to the US Army. Now hopefully DoDMERB and security clearances come through quickly

Air Force,

Yea, mine was conditional too (i assume everyone's is until the clearence is done). Does anyone know how long it takes to finish the security clearence? I want to withdraw some applications, but i'm not gunna until i get an unconditional acceptance.

I hope you get a call on the 15th, but calling people from 3 interview dates would be a lot of phone call for her to make in one day. Maybe only the Sept 17th people will hear. :scared:

I'm pretty sure that at least some of the Oct 2nd interviewees will hear on November 1st because 4 weeks is when they say they will let us know about those. Dr. Calloway actually told me we might hear back in TWO weeks after my interview.

i called in today, they said AF calls will go out/continue tomorrow.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure that at least some of the Oct 2nd interviewees will hear on November 1st because 4 weeks is when they say they will let us know about those. Dr. Calloway actually told me we might hear back in TWO weeks after my interview.

well......it's been 2 weeks. maybe we will get lucky :)

great idea with the group. BRILLIANT!

EMTpremed did I meet you at interviews on Sept 18? For some reason your name sounds familiar.

Mabye,

We talked about our SDN handels on the bus to the SIM center, but if you don't remember all the Sh*& we gave white lightning then I doubt you were on the bus. (Sorry Scott). If you were there the 18th, i'm sure we met. BTW My security clearence went through today, so all of you who have your DODMERB done, will get ur unconditional done.

Yea, I think we met in the morning (I'm Kelly) I didn't get to go to the Sim Center because I had to get back to school. How long did it take you to get your clearance? I finished my physical on the 7th and just want a ball-park as to how long it took.

Yea, now I know who u r from facebook, we sat next to each other during presentations. Ask Scott about the physical. He already got cleared with some other people. I had to do a repeat test after my physical so my medical is still under review by DODMERB. But the Admissions office said my security was done and as soon as DODMERB gives them the go ahead, i'll get my unconditional. DODMERB says it takes about 2 weeks from the time your case is closed. u can check your status on their website. I figure all of our Clearences should be done around the same time, so all the kids who have their medical done should get their uncondtional next week.

my physical stuff took about 12 days.....but idk if it was maybe that fast since I was already in the system from ROTC....

Great, I just really want that unconditional. I had a really minor case of asthma as a child (never had an attack) but I really don't want that holding me back from USUHS. They said my case was closed as of a week ago so i'll make sure to keep checking.

I was notified by Rebecca of my physical status. I was overweight and had to get taped. So if you are over the weight requirements, you will be contacted by Rebecca and not DODmerb. I have been physically qualified for a week now, but no unconditional yet. I am hesitant to withdrawl from any other interviews w/ out the unconditional.

I was notified by Rebecca of my physical status. I was overweight and had to get taped. So if you are over the weight requirements, you will be contacted by Rebecca and not DODmerb. I have been physically qualified for a week now, but no unconditional yet. I am hesitant to withdrawl from any other interviews w/ out the unconditional.
To quote Ms. Patterson in our recent email exchange:

"Congratulations! I see your status is listed as qualified. Admissions will be notified at the end of next week (31 October) of your qualified status, provided you are within height/weight standards for accession. The listing for this is updated every Tuesday, and as your qualification occurred yesterday I have to wait for the height/weight list to be updated before confirming to admissions your qualified status. If you are not within height/weight standards according to the screening table I will have you provide proof of acceptable body fat percentage or proof that you are within your service's physical fitness standards if active duty. (Note: Your place in the class is held regardless of your medical qualification status as long as you already have the conditional acceptance). Once admissions is advised of your medically qualified status, your security clearance is complete and you return the signed acceptance form that was included in your conditional acceptance package, your unconditional acceptance can be processed."

did you email her or did she send you that to let you know? Just wondering since on the dodmerb website it says i'm medically cleared.

How do we find out if we've gotten cleared by security? Do they tell us or do we just find out when if/when we get unconditionally accepted?

did you email her or did she send you that to let you know? Just wondering since on the dodmerb website it says i'm medically cleared.

How do we find out if we've gotten cleared by security? Do they tell us or do we just find out when if/when we get unconditionally accepted?
That was in a reply to an email I sent her after my dodmerb changed to "qualified."

No idea about the clearance, as I already have mine from ROTC.

Dodmerb will say you are medically cleared even if you do not meet the weight requirements. I got a letter in the mail from DoDmerb saying I was cleared and then got an e-mail from Ms. Patterson saying I didn't meet the weight and height. No big deal, you just have to get you BF measured. No one in the group I interviewed with would have been over 22%.

6'1, 174lbs. I haven't checked the height/weight standards but i would assume thats well within the weight limit. I guess i'm frail. Just waiting on security now

How big would 22% be?

Last edited:
so newly forming man-boobs probably wouldnt hurt?

At about 6'0-6'1 and 210(now), i assume I will have to get taped. I am a little worried about the 22% body fat, because these last 6 months haven't been to kind to my physique… How long do you have to get taped? Is there a date you have to complete it by? I wouldn’t mind trying to starve myself and run a few miles a day for a week or two.

max weight at 6'0 is 195, 200 at 6'1 (at least for the army). You could probably drop the 5-10 pounds in a short period of time. I mean, my weight fluctuates between 5-10lbs every day from water weight. Low salt diet probably wouldn't hurt (salt makes you retain water right?)

max weight at 6'0 is 195, 200 at 6'1 (at least for the army). You could probably drop the 5-10 pounds in a short period of time. I mean, my weight fluctuates between 5-10lbs every day from water weight. Low salt diet probably wouldn't hurt (salt makes you retain water right?)

Don't bother. As long as you tape ok, you're fine. I don't think you ever really have to make weight as long as you tape within the body fat requirements.

Don't bother. As long as you tape ok, you're fine. I don't think you ever really have to make weight as long as you tape within the body fat requirements.

Hey could you clarify what taping actually entails? I assume it is bicep, waist, neck measurements? I am 194, only 5'8.5"

Short and stocky would be an apt description (capable of heavy weight lifting though). Should I start fasting now (physical Nov 17)

Hey when did you al get the paperwork for the security background check. The interview invite email said that they would send out an Email, but I have not received one yet. I interview thursday, so I am a little nervous about it.

i got mine like 3weeks prior to interviewing. Its a long form. I still haven't heard back on whether i've been cleared by security even though i've been conditionally accepted and cleared by DoDMERB. Maybe i'll just get unconditional acceptance?

Well, it's official-- just got my unconditional and the physical and everything took a little over 2 weeks for those of you still waiting. Blue58 if you still need the paperwork for the security clearance let me know and I can email it to you or call the office and tell them that you haven't recieved it yet. They might have missed you. Good luck on your interview and just remember to relax and be yourself. That's what they really want to see.

Oh, and set aside like three hours for doing the security clearance... it takes forever.

Hey could you clarify what taping actually entails? I assume it is bicep, waist, neck measurements? I am 194, only 5'8.5"

Short and stocky would be an apt description (capable of heavy weight lifting though). Should I start fasting now (physical Nov 17)

Taping is different for males and females. The process you described is for females. For Males only the neck and waist circumference is taken and plugged into a complicated formula to determine your body composition. I've attached the research the Army's medical research command did to justify the taping standards as the most fair method that goes into more detail.

Attachments

• DTT v6n5 big and fat.pdf
    257.6 KB · Views: 248
Just found this thread, congrats to all that have received acceptances so far. I cleared medical last week and admissions said the unconditional will come sometime the end of this week. Look forward to seeing you all next year.

Just found this thread, congrats to all that have received acceptances so far. I cleared medical last week and admissions said the unconditional will come sometime the end of this week. Look forward to seeing you all next year.

which branch manucelt?

which branch manucelt?

Army, I'm active duty now, so I didn't have a choice but its what I would have wanted anyway. Saw further up in the thread that you're branching Army also, Enjoy San Antonio this summer, its a blast. I'll see you in August

when was your interview manu?

I interviewed on the 25th. I was in Army dress uniform so I would have been difficult to miss if you were there that day

did you by chance do your undergrad at Wash U? If you did I was the guy from Rhodes. We talked about our schools playing in football. I was also whining about the not so nice M4 navy interviewer on the way to the Sim center

did you by chance do your undergrad at Wash U? If you did I was the guy from Rhodes. We talked about our schools playing in football. I was also whining about the not so nice M4 navy interviewer on the way to the Sim center

I did, and I do remember you. We had the two strangest interviews of the day, you got slammed by the 4th year and I had two O-6s who basically let me talk about whatever I wanted. I guess both routes worked out though, congratulations again and I'll see in the summer. I'm stationed at Fort Detrick but will be down at Fort Sam while you guys are there for at least a couple weeks for conferences

Hey, Does anyone have the security paperwork email? Ive been on the phone with the security office for the last couple of days and it dosnt seem to be working. Im supposed to interview on thursday, so im starting to worry a little about getting the paperwork. My email is [email protected] if anyone has the forms. Thanks for the help. Congrats to all of the new accecpts.

Hey all, ive got the paperwork now. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
Hey, Does anyone have the security paperwork email? Ive been on the phone with the security office for the last couple of days and it dosnt seem to be working. Im supposed to interview on thursday, so im starting to worry a little about getting the paperwork. My email is [email protected] if anyone has the forms. Thanks for the help. Congrats to all of the new accecpts.
sent