USMLE USMLE - Official 2016 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogdor_The_Burninator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With 2016 around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to start this thread and continue the 2015 thread into the new year!

Similar threads from the past have been extremely helpful to me (and I'm sure) and many others.

Good luck to everyone taking Step 2 CK in 2016!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
any good suggestions for psych ? i did well in uworld (90%+ )...but i only got 70s in Psych cms and it was a weak point in nbme 4...i tried kap qbank but they have errors and question quality is low...pretest questions seem to be short...

i find adolescent psychiatry and somatization disorder somewhat tough...and i can't decide between pychotherapy and medications...eg there was a case of adjustment disorder in nbme 4 with psychodynamic therapy and ssri both in option.. i got that one wrong...

any good suggestions for psych ? i did well in uworld (90%+ )...but i only got 70s in Psych cms and it was a weak point in nbme 4...i tried kap qbank but they have errors and question quality is low...pretest questions seem to be short...

i find adolescent psychiatry and somatization disorder somewhat tough...and i can't decide between pychotherapy and medications...eg there was a case of adjustment disorder in nbme 4 with psychodynamic therapy and ssri both in option.. i got that one wrong...
FA for psych clerkship for reading and Lange for questions.

Took the last NBME I had left today, dissapointing result, it was probably a mistake to take one considering my exam is soon. But has anyone else experienced such huge variation in between nbmes ? it's especially odd considering when i took each practice exam.

7 (4 months out)-254
6(2 months out)-260
UWSA (3 weeks out)-265+
4(2 weeks out)-286
3 (5 days out)-256.

Is 3 especially difficult or unreliable for some reason ?

Long time lurker.

and number of wrong answers in each nbme? because in my opinion nbmes have a steep curve at higher scores..i got 9 answers wrong in 7 and that came to 274 while 14 wrong answers in 6 came to 260...real exam will be much less steep....90s in uwsa means 275 range...don't delay exams...

Reactions: 1 user
The only thing that concerned me here is it seems you've spent a lot of time using all those resources and assessments, have you worked on the areas which showed you were weak on? First time UW averages and UWSA seems to have predicted accurate scores more or less. I am stating that based on my experience and those of which I've read here. Borderline passing can be risky for CK. Its better to be in a safer margin than that before giving the exam. If I were you, I'd just use UW and understand inside out the concepts that I am lacking. UW covers pretty much everything needed for the exam if you do it the right way. By that I mean, trying to use less resources but doing them really well. That was the lesson I learnt from step 1 and applying that in CK helped me prepare in a shorter time but more efficiently. Try to understand what mistakes you're making and why you're making them. This exam is totally different to step 1. You need to make a lot of choices based on instincts. You can either develop that with a lot of clinical experience or by understanding the pattern of mistakes you're making. Is it down to the content of the subject? Is it because you overthought? Is it because you considered doing something invasive when a simple bedside procedure would have been a good start.

Just know that clinical practice should be simple, at least on our level. And that's what the board expects from us. They want us to take simple choices, cheaper choices, try to figure out if something is life-threatening and requires immediate intervention. I am not trying to be a lecturer here. From my experience, I felt the exam cannot be prepared just by going through books. You need to develop that instinct to make simple, sensible and common sense choices. You have to imagine yourself in a clinical setting and ask yourself whether you'd really put that patient through. I am sure you already know that, just trying to reinforce it onto you. Those assessments are pretty accurate in telling where our knowledge stands. You just need to know what to work on. I don't think it would be a wise idea to dwell on the borderline. CK can be tricky if you fail to make simple choices or fail to trust your instincts. Only you can teach that to yourself by training your mind using UW the right way.
This was very helpful! thank you!

Took the last NBME I had left today, dissapointing result, it was probably a mistake to take one considering my exam is soon. But has anyone else experienced such huge variation in between nbmes ? it's especially odd considering when i took each practice exam.

7 (4 months out)-254
6(2 months out)-260
UWSA (3 weeks out)-265+
4(2 weeks out)-286
3 (5 days out)-256.

Is 3 especially difficult or unreliable for some reason ?

Long time lurker.
I think 3 is pretty difficult or at least it's graded as such. I wouldn't worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
and number of wrong answers in each nbme? because in my opinion nbmes have a steep curve at higher scores..i got 9 answers wrong in 7 and that came to 274 while 14 wrong answers in 6 came to 260...real exam will be much less steep....90s in uwsa means 275 range...don't delay exams...

NBMEs are steeper because they have 100+ fewer questions.

btw the new FA for ck is quite decent...can easily replace the mtb (which were quite useless imo)

i think they were ~ 14 on nbme 6, 4 on nbme 4, not sure about 3 because there's no expanded feedback option with that one.

Do you know if it's significantly different than the last edition? Aka should I quickly amazon prime the new edition today? haha

I just bought the newest edition today, i have the 8th edition too .. from what i can tell so far , the 9th edition is much better organized and easier to read than the older version. It also seems that majority of the guidelines have been updated . I bought it mainly to reference Epi, Peds , OBGYN and the Infections diseases. One thing i like about this book so far that it seems to give a quick refresh of the basic science topics that can possible be tested and the KEY FACT on side of the pages hit some major factoids .

Do you know if it's significantly different than the last edition? Aka should I quickly amazon prime the new edition today? haha

the impact on preparation would not be comparable to fa for step1 ....but it is significantly better than previous edition...it contains many but not all points from uworld...and if you plan to use mtb for annotation u can stop and use fa instead...

any good question source (besides uw) for abstracts and drug ads ? i need more practice to be able to them quickly..is it true that blocks with abstracts have lesser number of questions ?

What is considered a good score to receive on the NBME Clinical Mastery Series practice exams? I have ~1.5 months until my IM shelf and I just scored a 79 on my first practice test (scaled score; 80% correct). I'm not sure how to interpret this, or where I currently stand. Would appreciate if someone offered some insight.

I just bought the newest edition today, i have the 8th edition too .. from what i can tell so far , the 9th edition is much better organized and easier to read than the older version. It also seems that majority of the guidelines have been updated . I bought it mainly to reference Epi, Peds , OBGYN and the Infections diseases. One thing i like about this book so far that it seems to give a quick refresh of the basic science topics that can possible be tested and the KEY FACT on side of the pages hit some major factoids .

the impact on preparation would not be comparable to fa for step1 ....but it is significantly better than previous edition...it contains many but not all points from uworld...and if you plan to use mtb for annotation u can stop and use fa instead...

well it's being 1 day shipped via amazon prime haha, thank you both for the advice! definitely going to make sure i get through it in the next 2 weeks of dedicated!

What is considered a good score to receive on the NBME Clinical Mastery Series practice exams? I have ~1.5 months until my IM shelf and I just scored a 79 on my first practice test (scaled score; 80% correct). I'm not sure how to interpret this, or where I currently stand. Would appreciate if someone offered some insight.
post in IM shelf discussion

Are most people saying FA 9th edition > MTB? I am looking at a preview version of FA 9th and it has all the best initial, and most accurate tests info, as well as nice charts and flow diagrams.

well it's being 1 day shipped via amazon prime haha, thank you both for the advice! definitely going to make sure i get through it in the next 2 weeks of dedicated!

yea it is shipped the next day..i am t-16 days..i got my fa last thursday...ordered it on wed night..

I need some advice! I just started my second pass of UWorld today and I'm getting suspiciously high scores. For quite a few questions I remember the answers, especially for ob/gyn, which I just finished. What do you guys suggest? Is it worth it to keep going with a second pass even though it doesn't seem helpful or is Kaplan worth the $99 if I'm not getting much out of UWorld besides testing how well I can memorize the questions? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I need some advice! I just started my second pass of UWorld today and I'm getting suspiciously high scores. For quite a few questions I remember the answers, especially for ob/gyn, which I just finished. What do you guys suggest? Is it worth it to keep going with a second pass even though it doesn't seem helpful or is Kaplan worth the $99 if I'm not getting much out of UWorld besides testing how well I can memorize the questions? Thanks!!

If you find yourself memorizing the question, are you able to answer it without looking at the choices? That may test if you really know what the next step or diagnosis is without having the handicap of the answer in front of you.

don't bother with kaplan...i did about 800 odd questions and am regretting the time i wasted...the are extremely poor quality...no questions on biostats...none at all..no abstracts/drug adverts...questions are either very easy or absurdly out of the world...qbank has not been updated for many many years....grossly outdated...

If you find yourself memorizing the question, are you able to answer it without looking at the choices? That may test if you really know what the next step or diagnosis is without having the handicap of the answer in front of you.

That's a good point, I'll try that out today and see how it goes! I think for most of them I know the answer before looking at the choices.

don't bother with kaplan...i did about 800 odd questions and am regretting the time i wasted...the are extremely poor quality...no questions on biostats...none at all..no abstracts/drug adverts...questions are either very easy or absurdly out of the world...qbank has not been updated for many many years....grossly outdated...

Thanks, I didn't know it was so bad. Glad I asked before paying $99! Haha

Took the beast yesterday. I found it to be much harder than step 1. I'll give my synopsis without giving too much away or divulging any testing info. Hope that it is helpful to everyone, and it is not to put anyone in a state of fear or panic. I've found these threads to be really helpful so I'll try to contribute.

I'll start off by saying that the stems were LONG. Timing was an issue on 4/8 of my blocks. The 40 question blocks will be much better than 44 because I really think that the four less questions really lets you think through the long convoluted stems.

I thought the answer choices were obscure, and so were the presentations. Like, I would cross out two answers immediately, but the remaining three all look/sound correct. And the presentations, would give you "classic" symptoms for one disease, but then the rest of the stem would be a mixture of symptomatology for another disease. That was the most frustrating thing about the test.

I felt like I really knew the material. I went through uworld thoroughly once, and took pictures of my mistakes (deleted them, not copywriting or distributing) and reviewed those mistakes thoroughly. I felt at my peak in terms of knowledge when I took the test, but didn't feel good walking out. Actually, I felt terrible walking out.

There were times where I read them stem and tried to anticipate what the answer was, and felt I knew the next step based on the uworld algorithms that I memorized, but I would look down and not see the answer choice I was looking for, which was even more frustrating.

I am not the best test taker, which makes me even more worried. I felt like this test was so much more about test taking ability than actually medical knowledge. You have to be sharp and pick out little subtleties, and not think that they're trying to trick you when they're not. I took two practice exams, UWSA 2 weeks out and got > 240+ but less than 250, and then took NBME 6 one week out after review and got a 227. This FREAKED me out, but I didn't push my test back because I felt like I peaked in terms of info and plus I didn't wanna take it during audions. That, and I'd heard UWSA is the best indicator of predicting the score from threads that I've read. The wait will be torture. Good luck everyone.

It's something like they give a vignette describing one condition and throw in a couple of lines with features suggestive of a closely related differential. And they have both in the answer choices. You end up going back and forth, scratching your head in those questions. These are the major time-consuming things.

I just saw this. This person echoes what I'm describing. These were the most challenging Qs on the test

I thought the most frustrating part of the test was they either made diagnosing really obscure or they gave you the answer but then nailed you with a 2nd or 3rd order question, which some of the time involved basic science principles.

I thought the most frustrating part of the test was they either made diagnosing really obscure or they gave you the answer but then nailed you with a 2nd or 3rd order question, which some of the time involved basic science principles.

I thought the diagnosing was a bit more difficult than the 2nd or 3rd order. Just because, without the diagnosis, it's really hard to proceed. But yeah, I agree with you. Glad I'm not the only one that was like wt* when it came to deciding on the diagnosis.

I thought the diagnosing was a bit more difficult than the 2nd or 3rd order. Just because, without the diagnosis, it's really hard to proceed. But yeah, I agree with you. Glad I'm not the only one that was like wt* when it came to deciding on the diagnosis.

I had a similar UWSA score as you and I walked out of there wholeheartedly believing I failed the stupid thing (probably marked 10-15+ each section). Every new test was a chance to try to "salvage" whatever passing score I could. I spent way too much time looking at old threads the night of the test and seeing that everyone feels the same way. The other questions that really frustrated me were risk factor questions. Oh well.

I had a similar UWSA score as you and I walked out of there wholeheartedly believing I failed the stupid thing (probably marked 10-15+ each section). Every new test was a chance to try to "salvage" whatever passing score I could. I spent way too much time looking at old threads the night of the test and seeing that everyone feels the same way. The other questions that really frustrated me were risk factor questions. Oh well.

I had >260 on UWSA and I think I bombed that test too. I agree with you about not being able to easily pinpoint a diagnosis making the best next choice in management difficult. I also felt like my test had a lot of ambulatory medicine that I didn't feel UWorld or MTB prepared me for. Now I regret taking the exam before my family medicine shelf. But oh well, I'll find out in a few more weeks. I just hope I'm at least in the +/- 5 range from my step 1 score

Yeah you are right. Each section, I was like "I'm not gonna get hung up on a question" but sure enough I did. I walked out feeling like I got hit by a bus and failed. My friends who took it the same day felt the same way, so much so that the proctor goes "man that test looks rough. One of the girls didn't look happy". I freaked out because someone on the forums had the exact same practice scores as me and ended up with a 210.

Probably just should have stayed off the forums but couldn't help but see if other people felt as bad as I did or if I just choked or was moving to slow or second guessing my gut instinct and changing my first answer (thinking that the writers were tricking me). Oh well, nothing to do now but wait. Hope it ends up okay in the end. This wait is brutal.

Yeah you are right. Each section, I was like "I'm not gonna get hung up on a question" but sure enough I did. I walked out feeling like I got hit by a bus and failed. My friends who took it the same day felt the same way, so much so that the proctor goes "man that test looks rough. One of the girls didn't look happy". I freaked out because someone on the forums had the exact same practice scores as me and ended up with a 210.

Probably just should have stayed off the forums but couldn't help but see if other people felt as bad as I did or if I just choked or was moving to slow or second guessing my gut instinct and changing my first answer (thinking that the writers were tricking me). Oh well, nothing to do now but wait. Hope it ends up okay in the end. This wait is brutal.

I saw the 210 thing too...but...they also did Uworld twice and were probably fairly comfortable with the programming and style of questions by the time they did the UWSA. At least that's what I'm telling myself to stay calm.

I saw the 210 thing too...but...they also did Uworld twice and were probably fairly comfortable with the programming and style of questions by the time they did the UWSA. At least that's what I'm telling myself to stay calm.

haha. I did that ^ too though, which is why I think I may actually be screwed. Felt my UWSA might by over inflated bc I knew the subject material and style of quetions

I just took the Free 150 and am pissed because there is something wrong with the software and it doesn't give you a score back. I tried retesting it on two computers.

So now I am going through the questions again with the option to "view answer" and am marking down the ones I got wrong. I'll be able to figure out my % for the 150 but have no idea what 3 digit score it translates to. Anyone have a link that shows the correlation of % scores in the 150 with board scores, or anything of that sort?

haha. I did that ^ too though, which is why I think I may actually be screwed. Felt my UWSA might by over inflated bc I knew the subject material and style of quetions

Woof. I usually have something sarcastic to say, but I got nothing this time. I'm sorry

....and I looked into Free150. I noticed that 85-90% was somewhere along 230-245 I think. I did notice that if you were 93%+, it was at least a 255 if not into the low 260s. This is all speculation on past threads have said...I feel like I spend more time looking at what my score could be than I did for studying...

My Uworld Avg is in upper 70s and the IM section is 80s on 1st pass .. Yet for some reason my NBME assessments scores are low . I took the NBME comp administrated by my school last week and just received my score , it estimated a 3 digit score 220 +/- 4 points .. my exam was suppose to be in 3 weeks but i might move it up a week or 2 , i'm losing a lot of points approaching Peds questions and random basic science stuff , also i feel like i have a good grasp on OBGYN but for some reason i keep getting killed in that section during my self assessments .

I'm not sure how to approach my weak areas before my exam .. I putt a lot of effort into this, getting anything below a 240 would be a huge disappointment for me ..

What's a good UW average to be in for a second time pass? Just started going over my Internal medicine questions and I'm 5 blocks in with an average of 75%. I'm pretty disappointed as I was hoping this would be consistently >80%. Test is in a week.

What's a good UW average to be in for a second time pass? Just started going over my Internal medicine questions and I'm 5 blocks in with an average of 75%. I'm pretty disappointed as I was hoping this would be consistently >80%. Test is in a week.

Well, it depends on your first time pass average? I'm not really sure. I had about 70% on first pass, but my second pass I did about 500-600 questions and got around a 92-93%. But I wasn't entirely certain if I knew the material or recognized the question...each time I would sit there and tell myself why it was the right answer though and why the other answers were wrong to try to maximize some use out of a second pass.

Well, it depends on your first time pass average? I'm not really sure. I had about 70% on first pass, but my second pass I did about 500-600 questions and got around a 92-93%. But I wasn't entirely certain if I knew the material or recognized the question...each time I would sit there and tell myself why it was the right answer though and why the other answers were wrong to try to maximize some use out of a second pass.

Yeah, first time pass was a 69%. Doing the exact same method as you are on trying to tell myself why the answer I'm choosing is the answer, and why the other answer choices are wrong. That's insane, that you went from 70% and jumped 20%. I don't know why I'm not in the same situation. Maybe I am a ******* after all. :(

I had a similar experience with the exam. Step 1 260+. UWorld for step 2 89% on random tutor random timed. Uwsa 265+. Went to the exam was completely mauled after the first 4 blocks and marked 25% of the qs and lost all my concentration. So many weird ethics qs and prognosis qs and vague qs with many correct answers along with Obgyn and Ortho qs which are a weak point of mine. I hope I dont drop 2 SDs on this exam because that will look completely awful. I came out feeling this was a lot worse than step 1.

Im an IMG so my experience was different but books I previously used for IM were step up to med, toronto notes, pocket med, our own universitys lecture materials, pretest med. IM essentials also has nice mcqs but I didnt complete those. I also skimmed through kaplan lec notes + mtb2 im/mtb 3 the rest. Ive used various other resources but cant tell you how useful they are until the score comes out.

Got my score. 270+ I was so escastic I couldnt believe it! The exam was so vague and felt so bad that I felt I would score anywhere between 220-250. I guess trust in your prep and trust in the generous curve which is much more generous than step 1. In step 1 I had star performance in all disciplines except 3 and got a 260+. Whileas ck I had 2 borderlines and no star perfomance and my score was 11 points higher.

As an IMG my biggest advice would be to build a foundation using more detailed US rotations books like brs peds first aid psych step up to medicine complemented by mcq books like Pretest IM essentials. Followed by focusing on UWorld at the end. I did not find the step 2 dedicated prep books to be that useful. Best of luck to anyone taking this beast.

Got my score. 270+ I was so escastic I couldnt believe it! The exam was so vague and felt so bad that I felt I would score anywhere between 220-250. I guess trust in your prep and trust in the generous curve which is much more generous than step 1. In step 1 I had star performance in all disciplines except 3 and got a 260+. Whileas ck I had 2 borderlines and no star perfomance and my score was 11 points higher.

As an IMG my biggest advice would be to build a foundation using more detailed US rotations books like brs peds first aid psych step up to medicine complemented by mcq books like Pretest IM essentials. Followed by focusing on UWorld at the end. I did not find the step 2 dedicated prep books to be that useful. Best of luck to anyone taking this beast.

hey leafy ,what were your nbme scores ? and uwsa % correct answers ? because everyone who gets 86%+ gets 265+ on uwsa...

hey leafy ,what were your nbme scores ? and uwsa % correct answers ? because everyone who gets 86%+ gets 265+ on uwsa...

I got 267 on nbme 3 6 weeks out. Found it outdated and not very helpful. UWSA 2 days out I think it was 90%+ don't remember percent didnt have it saved. One block I got 98%, rest were 89% and 91?93 not sure.

Yeah, first time pass was a 69%. Doing the exact same method as you are on trying to tell myself why the answer I'm choosing is the answer, and why the other answer choices are wrong. That's insane, that you went from 70% and jumped 20%. I don't know why I'm not in the same situation. Maybe I am a ******* after all. :(

I did my first pass after the year was over...so most of the questions were still pretty fresh in my head.