USMLE USMLE - Official 2016 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trogdor_The_Burninator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

With 2016 around the corner, I thought it would be a good time to start this thread and continue the 2015 thread into the new year!

Similar threads from the past have been extremely helpful to me (and I'm sure) and many others.

Good luck to everyone taking Step 2 CK in 2016!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be taking my exam next Tuesday! :scared: I've been trying to decide if I want to spend the time going through my FA CK book again but in all likelihood I'll just go over my notes from uworld and doing marked/incorrects.

Just took NBME 4 .. The grading scale on that thing must be off LOL .. On the bright side my IM is solid and the lowest subject on the scale was psychiatry/mental health which i have not done yet along with Surgery . My UWorld 1st pass avg is over 75% and according to the score i received i need to get to work if i plan on scoring >240 .. Wheres my damn RED BULL

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be taking my exam next Tuesday! :scared: I've been trying to decide if I want to spend the time going through my FA CK book again but in all likelihood I'll just go over my notes from uworld and doing marked/incorrects.

Prob best to just stick to personal notes and Qs .. Not a bad idea to skim topics that you feel weak in for each system , for example " valve disease or murmurs for cardio " etc..

Currently scoring 74% after 265 questions on UWorld step 2 for IM. Doing random, timed, 10-20 question blocks. Still have another 1.5-2 months of the rotation. I can't find much info online about how correlative UWorld is to success on the IM shelf, how am I doing so far?

What's probably more correlative than (first pass?) uW raw percentage on IM is how thoroughly you review the questions that gave you trouble/that you got wrong. I think that sounds like a fine percentage with 1100+ questions to go, and you'll likely do great on the shelf, but try not to pay too much attention to that percentage. If you'd like a benchmark to assess your proficiency in the subject after getting through the material, I'd recommend an NBME form or two, though this is not absolutely required. Good luck!

So I just took my CK yesterday, here is my experience... Please chime in if you had a similar one!!

Felt pretty good after the first 2-3 blocks, maybe marked about 6-7 per block, of which I'm pretty sure I got half of them right. Then, everything grinded to a halt. The fatigue hit me like a truck, and I had to start reading through the questions multiple times because I'd keep missing things. I forgot simple facts, and spent FOREVER reviewing even "easy" questions. Eyes glazed over, and I felt like I was taking the test half-asleep. "CT or ultrasound..." I didn't even care by the end, I just ended up guessing to get it over with. Felt horrible after I finished the last block (only 42 questions, every other block was 44).

I spent 3 weeks studying during which I completed:

UW x 1, 85% average
UW: 3-4 blocks of incorrects
UWSA: 262

I read 3 chapters of MTB, but mostly used UpToDate and Medscape to look up things I wasn't sure about.

Step 1 was a 261 and I've been getting upper 80s-low 90s on all of my shelf exams this year, so I thought I would be okay. I definitely underestimated the difficulty of this test and hugely underprepared...

As of now, I can count 12 questions that I for sure got wrong. Of these, at least 5-6 were entirely due to stupidity, not a lack of knowledge. Not a good sign. Definitely was one of the hardest tests I've ever taken, and I seriously feel like crap. Anyone else with similar experiences?

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone take CK recently? If so, how many questions were on the exam per block? Im wondering if the USMLE has started the process of decreasing the amount of questions.

So I just took my CK yesterday, here is my experience... Please chime in if you had a similar one!!

Felt pretty good after the first 2-3 blocks, maybe marked about 6-7 per block, of which I'm pretty sure I got half of them right. Then, everything grinded to a halt. The fatigue hit me like a truck, and I had to start reading through the questions multiple times because I'd keep missing things. I forgot simple facts, and spent FOREVER reviewing even "easy" questions. Eyes glazed over, and I felt like I was taking the test half-asleep. "CT or ultrasound..." I didn't even care by the end, I just ended up guessing to get it over with. Felt horrible after I finished the last block (only 42 questions, every other block was 44).

I spent 3 weeks studying during which I completed:

UW x 1, 85% average
UW: 3-4 blocks of incorrects
UWSA: 262

I read 3 chapters of MTB, but mostly used UpToDate and Medscape to look up things I wasn't sure about.

Step 1 was a 261 and I've been getting upper 80s-low 90s on all of my shelf exams this year, so I thought I would be okay. I definitely underestimated the difficulty of this test and hugely underprepared...

As of now, I can count 12 questions that I for sure got wrong. Of these, at least 5-6 were entirely due to stupidity, not a lack of knowledge. Not a good sign. Definitely was one of the hardest tests I've ever taken, and I seriously feel like crap. Anyone else with similar experiences?

I had a similar experience with the exam. Step 1 260+. UWorld for step 2 89% on random tutor random timed. Uwsa 265+. Went to the exam was completely mauled after the first 4 blocks and marked 25% of the qs and lost all my concentration. So many weird ethics qs and prognosis qs and vague qs with many correct answers along with Obgyn and Ortho qs which are a weak point of mine. I hope I dont drop 2 SDs on this exam because that will look completely awful. I came out feeling this was a lot worse than step 1.

I had a similar experience with the exam. Step 1 260+. UWorld for step 2 89% on random tutor random timed. Uwsa 265+. Went to the exam was completely mauled after the first 4 blocks and marked 25% of the qs and lost all my concentration. So many weird ethics qs and prognosis qs and vague qs with many correct answers along with Obgyn and Ortho qs which are a weak point of mine. I hope I dont drop 2 SDs on this exam because that will look completely awful. I came out feeling this was a lot worse than step 1.
How did you prepare during rotations to be able to score 89% first pass? Specifically, what did you do for IM?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also just got done taking the beast today, glad to answer any questions.

I walked out of the test knowing that I wouldn't change my studying methods even if I could go back, the things that were difficult were either EXTREMELY vague or I had no idea what the question was actually asking me. That being said, I felt pretty decent motoring through the test (probably averaging 7-9 marked for the first 5 blocks) save for block three where I ended up marking more. Then the last two blocks hit and I either hit a wall or the questions hit my weak points, ended up between 10-15 I wasn't 100% sure on (I mark ones that I'm not 100% on, including guesses and things where I may be 75% on). I think my exam had random blocks of 42-44 strewn about, I know I had a few right in the middle of my exam. What really frustrated me about the test was something that everyone else has echoed coming out; some questions are just so vague where you're like "I really don't know if the lack of a fever makes me rule this out or not but the other answers don't make sense either", or you get it down to a 50/50 gut call. There were only a HANDFUL of questions (maybe like 5-7) where I had no idea what they were even getting at (usually involving a picture or echo or whatnot) which was less than I was expecting honestly. On the whole I would say it felt similar to uworld, just a lot more vague and random at points. I thought it was honestly less difficult than step 1 in terms of breadth of knowledge but the dumb vagueness that kept popping up was frustrating.

As far as studying I went through uworld throughout the year and reset it again for a two week study period, also used step 2 CK (new version) which I would say was pretty helpful.
Step 1: 258
Shelfs: High 80's-low 90's raw score during the year
UW x 2, 82% average first time around, probably 95+% second time
NBME 6: 275+
UWSA: 265
Free 150: 96%
Step 2??

I'm hopeful that I got a good score...but realistically it's going to come down to how well I guessed, which is unfortunate. I could see myself getting a pretty wide range from 240s-260+ (the latter only if I'm extremely lucky, not feeling great right now). For people that are still studying: definitely go over your immunodeficiency syndromes (I mean all of them in step 1, I had a super obscure one I wasn't expecting), brush up on murmurs/pediatric murmurs, and really really really know your diagnostic workup/differential for precocious puberty, primary amenorrhea, and breast masses. But it's probably test dependent (I probably had 10-15 questions on those concepts alone) so your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
How did you prepare during rotations to be able to score 89% first pass? Specifically, what did you do for IM?

Im an IMG so my experience was different but books I previously used for IM were step up to med, toronto notes, pocket med, our own universitys lecture materials, pretest med. IM essentials also has nice mcqs but I didnt complete those. I also skimmed through kaplan lec notes + mtb2 im/mtb 3 the rest. Ive used various other resources but cant tell you how useful they are until the score comes out.

Im an IMG so my experience was different but books I previously used for IM were step up to med, toronto notes, pocket med, our own universitys lecture materials, pretest med. IM essentials also has nice mcqs but I didnt complete those. I also skimmed through kaplan lec notes + mtb2 im/mtb 3 the rest. Ive used various other resources but cant tell you how useful they are until the score comes out.
I'm sure your score will be fantastic.

How did you use SUTM, and did you use any QBanks during IM?

I am currently using SUTM, Bros Anki Deck, and UWorld for IM. Don't think I have time to pursue other resources. However, do you recommend Toronto Notes for other rotations? Seems quite comprehensive.

Took it mid-May and got it back today. 260, will have a write up later.

EDIT:

Study time: 21 days or so
Resources used: Master the Boards, UWorld, Practice NBME: #7 (took it 10 days in) - 279, #6 (took it 16 days in) - 271. Nothing else.
Shelf grades: two in 70s, rest mid-high 80s
Step 1: 230s
UWorld 1st pass (done during 3rd year): 74%?
UWorld 2nd pass (during dedicated 21 days): 91-92%
Books I read during 3rd year: Blueprints OBGYN, Pestana/NMS Casebook (only parts of NMS), BRS Peds, Family Med Case Files, Step-Up to Medicine (all of it), First Aid for Psych, school-issued Neurology review document

My schedule
8-9AM to 1-2PM: 3 blocks of UWorld. Tutor, all categories, untimed. Annotate notes and facts into a word document where I was also taking notes from Master the Boards.

Break for lunch, usually 1hr or so.

2PM-4-5PM or so: read Master the Boards. 1 chapter per day, annotating into my word document where I also had UWorld facts. Integrate the two together into one seamless study guide that I could reference and organize as I saw fit.

Evening: Go to the gym, relax, watch TV, etc. Based on the above schedule I studied at most 9-10 hours per day. My NBME days I considered "flex" days so those were only half days where I took the NBME exam in the morning and gave myself the afternoon off.

Some thoughts:
I didn't feel great leaving the exam. It felt harder than the practice NBMEs by virtue of incredibly long question stems, which others have addressed (lots of "classic" details that intentionally confuse you into being stuck between two possible diagnoses, and an answer list that could apply to both). I did, however have two or three blocks where I ended the block early because I felt so confident in my answer choices and did not want to give myself the opportunity to second-guess myself.

Lots of second-line treatments/answers were tested (eg there is a classical treatment for a condition HOWEVER that treatment would not be listed as an answer choice whatsoever).

Ethics questions seemed harder. I wonder if some were experimental.

Biostats was straightforward, IMO. I had some calculations but nothing ridiculous.

As you can see, my practice NBMEs were not insignificantly higher than my actual score. Looking back, I felt REALLY good when I was taking those exams, because I could nail every single diagnosis for each question and thus gave me a good chance at either ruling answers out or feeling confident in my answers in general. On the real thing I felt the confusing part of diagnosing things definitely did throw a wrench in things however I probably only marked 4-6 questions per block, and was quite certain that the remainder of my answers were correct.

I do recall changing my answer last-second on several questions and looking things up later to discover I was wrong. Things turned out OK, I guess.

Lots of images and media on the exam. However in most cases you could answer the question without needing to interpret or know the image cold.

Practice, practice, practice. I could probably do blocks of UWorld in my sleep by the time I took the exam. With very few exceptions, the NBME is not out to trick you or trap you. The patients you see have certain "buzzwords" and reasons for physical exam findings, labs, travel, history and the only way to develop your intuition for these is to do questions and organize these associations. This also saves you SO much time because you can trust yourself to ballpark a correct answer when presented with a strange presentation or an incomplete classical picture.

It's 8 blocks. This is a long-ass exam. By block 5 I was ready to get out of there, so be aware of test fatigue once you get to it. I probably slowed to half my normal speed by the time Block 8 rolled around, so bring caffeine/caffeine pills or whatever works for you accordingly.

I'm pretty happy about my result. It was a tough 21 days (but I did give myself some breaks and made sure I didn't burn out) but totally worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I'm sure your score will be fantastic.

How did you use SUTM, and did you use any QBanks during IM?

I am currently using SUTM, Bros Anki Deck, and UWorld for IM. Don't think I have time to pursue other resources. However, do you recommend Toronto Notes for other rotations? Seems quite comprehensive.

IM Essentials has a pretty nice Qbank supplement that can help UWorld, Pretest MCQs arent as bad either. But nothing really tops UWorld for IM questions, although it's probably a good idea to supplement UWorld for something else in other rotations.

Toronto Notes is an amazing book, but it's a really dense and a very difficult read, so I can't recommend it 100% for all rotations as it's probably overkill for medicine and surgery, it's probably a better use of your time to use US shelf based books like BRS peds, blueprints obgyn/essentials obgyn, first aid for psych. Toronto Notes is a nice supplement though and gives a great overview for topics on the wards.

Reactions: 1 user
How long does it take you guys to get through one block of Uworld ? I read all answers choices on all 44 questions, i'm spending an Avg of 4hrs on each block , Not much note taking .. Just some short single bullet points on new facts . i try to attempt another full block afterwards and i find myself doing silly mistakes and not really reading explanation carefully . Is this the Norm ? or is it my undiagnosed and untreated ADD taking over lol

Reactions: 1 user
How long does it take you guys to get through one block of Uworld ? I read all answers choices on all 44 questions, i'm spending an Avg of 4hrs on each block , Not much note taking .. Just some short single bullet points on new facts . i try to attempt another full block afterwards and i find myself doing silly mistakes and not really reading explanation carefully . Is this the Norm ? or is it my undiagnosed and untreated ADD taking over lol

I usually spent around 4 hours per block the first time I went through uworld (including taking the test and reviewing it) but it was only because I took extensive notes and would look things up. The second time through and when I was more focused on board prep I would say probably around 2 hours (including taking the test and any notes). For what it's worth I do have ADHD so YMMV ;)

Reactions: 2 users
How similar are exam questions to CMS 3 & 4 which are the latest series??
Was just wondering whats a decent score on CMS??I am getting 10-14 mistakes on average, is that bad??

Hey! Just got my score back: 263. I'm thrilled of course :soexcited:. Took the exam mid May, got the result exactly 3 weeks after.
Background: final year of a 6th year curriculum in Europa.
Step1: 261
Prep time: ±6 months (during final rotations), with 6-8 weeks dedicated I guess.
Qbanks: U-RX during 3-4mo (scored around 80%), then OME 2mo, then UW during 1mo (86%).
Books: Secrets, MTB, FA2016 and OME script only (videos would have taken me too much time even with 2x speed)

Best ressources IMO :prof:: UW, OME and FA (not kidding). I just skimmed the FA 2 days before the test, still got me many questions right. It is up to date (guidelines, screening, etc.).
Work load: 2x blocks daily, mainly tutor mode (allowed me to learn directly, didn't need timed mode since timing was never an issue for me). Took me around 2 hours daily (questions+review). Read most books during rotations.

Test day: 2blocks, short break, 2 blocks, long break (lunch), 4 blocks with a mini break at desk before the last one. Finished with almost 2 hours extra time.
Overall feeling right after the exam: tired, happy but really uncertain about the outcome (like most of us it seems).

Best strategy IMO :prof:: do questions, questions. and questions. Have fun :rofl:

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys,

I got the result yesterday. It was 256. I benefited a lot from this forum while preparing for Step 1 and Step 2 CK. I hope my experience can be helpful to you.

Preparation

I watched Kaplan Video twice. (I didn't read the books because they are too thick!)
Then I did Kaplan Qbank with an average of 61% (the mean for that Qbank was 58%).
I was a bit disappointed so I read the explanations of Kaplan Qbank carefully twice (literally words to words). I learned a lot from that.
I started doing U World Qbank 2 months before the exam. I only did it once (random, timed), my average was 78%. Again, I read the explanations carefully once, wiki or uptodate the stuffs I am not familiar with, and reviewed my markings three times.
My Fred 150 was about 88% (one month before the exam)
I only tried the NBME 4 questions offline (two weeks before). My score was probably 235-240 based on the answers in the forum.
I activated UWSA, but I was too nervous to do it.
I scanned through MTB 2 and MTB3 during the last week, which I was surprised to find there are stuffs that are not covered in U World Qbank or Kaplan Qbank. You don't need to read everything, I guess only those "questions and answers" in these books are useful for the exam.

My feeling is that U world is the most useful resource. U world + MTB 2 and MTB 3 will get you above 250 if you can master 90% of the knowledge. Do Kaplan Qbank if you are shooting for 260 or higher.

Exam experience

I have read tons of posts where people complained about how ridiculously difficult the exam was. So I was totally stressed out before the exam. However, the real thing turned out to be quite doable, at least for me. Yes, the stems may be a bit longer than U world, but not significantly. Besides, there are stems that are very short. So overall, you should not have time management issue due to "long stems". I guess the key is to be very disciplined. Don't dwell on questions that you are unsure about, pick whatever you instinct says and move on.

There will be questions (10-15% for me) that test knowledge that you have never prepared for. However, remember that the USMLE is not going to trick you. Don't over think, just choose the answer that sounds best to you.

Another important point is that almost everyone will make silly mistakes during that exam, believe me! I knew that I got at least 5 questions wrong in previous blocks before I finished the exam! Don't worry, just keep going! After the exam, several questions that I was unsure about haunted me for the next three weeks. I guess it is normal for people to concentrate on the questions they didn't do well and ignore the questions they kicked ass of. That's probably also why people felt a bit down after the exam. But just remember that you can still get 250+ even if you made several mistakes.

I took Step 1 four years back and got 246. I think it would be an advantage if you start prepare for the Step 2 CK right after Step 1 because there were at least 5 questions that tested mechanisms of disease using Step 1 knowledge which I was unsure about. However, you can still eliminate and guess based on the residual knowledge for Step 1 in your mind and what U World has taught you. So don't overemphasize the importance of Step 1, and I don't recommend you to review FA Step1 thoroughly because that would be low yield.

I hope my post can be helpful to you and cheer you up a bit!

hi...m new over here n i liked wot u have shared.
m preparing for ck n i given nbmes scored 17-430 so now should i go for uwsa or stick to nbmes??

Took it mid-May and got it back today. 260, will have a write up later.

EDIT:

Study time: 21 days or so
Resources used: Master the Boards, UWorld, Practice NBME: #7 (took it 10 days in) - 279, #6 (took it 16 days in) - 271. Nothing else.
Shelf grades: two in 70s, rest mid-high 80s
Step 1: 230s
UWorld 1st pass (done during 3rd year): 74%?
UWorld 2nd pass (during dedicated 21 days): 91-92%
Books I read during 3rd year: Blueprints OBGYN, Pestana/NMS Casebook (only parts of NMS), BRS Peds, Family Med Case Files, Step-Up to Medicine (all of it), First Aid for Psych, school-issued Neurology review document

My schedule
8-9AM to 1-2PM: 3 blocks of UWorld. Tutor, all categories, untimed. Annotate notes and facts into a word document where I was also taking notes from Master the Boards.

Break for lunch, usually 1hr or so.

2PM-4-5PM or so: read Master the Boards. 1 chapter per day, annotating into my word document where I also had UWorld facts. Integrate the two together into one seamless study guide that I could reference and organize as I saw fit.

Evening: Go to the gym, relax, watch TV, etc. Based on the above schedule I studied at most 9-10 hours per day. My NBME days I considered "flex" days so those were only half days where I took the NBME exam in the morning and gave myself the afternoon off.

Some thoughts:
I didn't feel great leaving the exam. It felt harder than the practice NBMEs by virtue of incredibly long question stems, which others have addressed (lots of "classic" details that intentionally confuse you into being stuck between two possible diagnoses, and an answer list that could apply to both). I did, however have two or three blocks where I ended the block early because I felt so confident in my answer choices and did not want to give myself the opportunity to second-guess myself.

Lots of second-line treatments/answers were tested (eg there is a classical treatment for a condition HOWEVER that treatment would not be listed as an answer choice whatsoever).

Ethics questions seemed harder. I wonder if some were experimental.

Biostats was straightforward, IMO. I had some calculations but nothing ridiculous.

As you can see, my practice NBMEs were not insignificantly higher than my actual score. Looking back, I felt REALLY good when I was taking those exams, because I could nail every single diagnosis for each question and thus gave me a good chance at either ruling answers out or feeling confident in my answers in general. On the real thing I felt the confusing part of diagnosing things definitely did throw a wrench in things however I probably only marked 4-6 questions per block, and was quite certain that the remainder of my answers were correct.

I do recall changing my answer last-second on several questions and looking things up later to discover I was wrong. Things turned out OK, I guess.

Lots of images and media on the exam. However in most cases you could answer the question without needing to interpret or know the image cold.

Practice, practice, practice. I could probably do blocks of UWorld in my sleep by the time I took the exam. With very few exceptions, the NBME is not out to trick you or trap you. The patients you see have certain "buzzwords" and reasons for physical exam findings, labs, travel, history and the only way to develop your intuition for these is to do questions and organize these associations. This also saves you SO much time because you can trust yourself to ballpark a correct answer when presented with a strange presentation or an incomplete classical picture.

It's 8 blocks. This is a long-ass exam. By block 5 I was ready to get out of there, so be aware of test fatigue once you get to it. I probably slowed to half my normal speed by the time Block 8 rolled around, so bring caffeine/caffeine pills or whatever works for you accordingly.

I'm pretty happy about my result. It was a tough 21 days (but I did give myself some breaks and made sure I didn't burn out) but totally worth it.

Did you take the month off of rotations?

Uggh I'm starting to freak out a bit.

I just finished NBME 7 and felt crushed. I'm aiming for a 260 for CK and I'm worried I won't get there.

UWSA 2 weeks ago: 264
NBME 6 1 week ago : 252 (wasn't really worried because I was having a bad day, rushed through it, finished all 4 blocks in <3 hours)
NBME 7: 256 (now I'm worried. I felt prepared and on my game before starting this NBME but it just crushed me. OB/Gyn and Peds stuff is killing me. I felt like the questions on this one were worded awful and I had a hard time wrapping my head around dx)

My exam is on Monday. I am considering taking NBME 4 tomorrow just to see if I get a better score and get a confidence boost before the exam. I honored all my shelf exams, got 81% UWorld 1st pass, and 90% on the 2nd pass. I don't know how else I could have better prepared for this test and now I feel like I'm not ready.

Dont stress it , the scores you've got so far shows you have the knowledge.. These forms are useless at predicting scores , what i think they are good for is pointing out what you need to polish up on and give an intro on the topics that they like to ask and how they could possible be presented . I honestly think the CMS forms are much better investment than the comprehensive forms .. For comprehensive assessment i would stick to the UWORLD form. everyone in my class that's taken the exam agree with what i said .

Took the exam two days ago:

UW during third year: ~78%
UW second pass during dedicated: 87%
Used Anki from topics I struggled with, not much else.

Step 1: between 245 and 260

Walked out of the exam like I just got steamrolled. Questions were vague, ethics were rough, there seemed to be two right answers for everything OR I had no idea WTF was going on in the prompt. I was so shaken that I started to doubt myself on the questions that were supposed to be "gimmies." In the first four blocks I was flagging ~18 questions per and finishing with 1.5-2.5min left. It got a littler better near the end with respect to flagging and time, but DAMN.

I was shell shocked afterwards.

Currently trying to figure out how I'm going to explain my step 2 being lower than step 1 or just apply to a different field all together.

I wouldn't change the way I studied, I did it right. There was no way to prepare for what I got. It felt nothing like UW or UWSA.

I will update when I get my score in hopes that the trend of feeling like **** but still doing close to practice exams continues, and in the future maybe itll help some poor soul in my current situation.

Hi, unfortunately I Failed my step 2 ck, can someone guide me on how to study? I am an average student, I know it's really hard to get 240 plus for me on these exams, so that I can match I really need to get that score. I DID UWORLD 2 -3 times before and I did UWSA and all nbmes. I knew I wasn't getting good scores but I still gave this exam coz my eligibility with extension for this exam for expiring. How should I study now? Should I change my mtb books? From which I studies before. Should I write down all uworld notes again? Should I do another qbank ? I want to do this exam in 2-3 month period so that I can apply for residency this yeat. Any reply would be appreciated.

Also just got done taking the beast today, glad to answer any questions.

As far as studying I went through uworld throughout the year and reset it again for a two week study period, also used step 2 CK (new version) which I would say was pretty helpful.

Books: Secrets, MTB, FA2016 and OME script only (videos would have taken me too much time even with 2x speed)

Best ressources IMO :prof:: UW, OME and FA (not kidding). I just skimmed the FA 2 days before the test, still got me many questions right. It is up to date (guidelines, screening, etc.).
:rofl:

How did you guys find the Pediatrics section in the FA CK book , i have the 8th edition .. I'm thinking of giving it a quick read. Thanks

Hi, unfortunately I Failed my step 2 ck, can someone guide me on how to study? I am an average student, I know it's really hard to get 240 plus for me on these exams, so that I can match I really need to get that score. I DID UWORLD 2 -3 times before and I did UWSA and all nbmes. I knew I wasn't getting good scores but I still gave this exam coz my eligibility with extension for this exam for expiring. How should I study now? Should I change my mtb books? From which I studies before. Should I write down all uworld notes again? Should I do another qbank ? I want to do this exam in 2-3 month period so that I can apply for residency this yeat. Any reply would be appreciated.

First off, I'm really sorry...that is a really tough spot...

I hope we can help you with your study plan!

But knowing a few things would be helpful (if you would rather not answer, that's ok :) ):

1. Were you very close to the pass cutoff? Or were you quite a bit off?
2. Did you find trouble with getting the content down? or the general concepts? or with the timing (getting through questions)?
3. What resources did you use the first time through? How did you use your resources the first time through? How did you use uworld?
4. Did you identify a consistent set of deficiencies having gone through the NBMEs, UWSA, and UW? Did you go back and re-visit these topics?
5. What do you think needs to happen (what can you improve) for you to achieve your goal? (sorry...corny, but it's good to know)

Took the exam two days ago:

UW during third year: ~78%
UW second pass during dedicated: 87%
Used Anki from topics I struggled with, not much else.

Step 1: between 245 and 260

Walked out of the exam like I just got steamrolled. Questions were vague, ethics were rough, there seemed to be two right answers for everything OR I had no idea WTF was going on in the prompt. I was so shaken that I started to doubt myself on the questions that were supposed to be "gimmies." In the first four blocks I was flagging ~18 questions per and finishing with 1.5-2.5min left. It got a littler better near the end with respect to flagging and time, but DAMN.

I was shell shocked afterwards.

Currently trying to figure out how I'm going to explain my step 2 being lower than step 1 or just apply to a different field all together.

I wouldn't change the way I studied, I did it right. There was no way to prepare for what I got. It felt nothing like UW or UWSA.

I will update when I get my score in hopes that the trend of feeling like **** but still doing close to practice exams continues, and in the future maybe itll help some poor soul in my current situation.

I'm right there with you. The very first section of that test grabbed my confidence and put it through a grinder. This test was way harder than step 1. I walked out of step 1 not feeling great, but I just walked out of my exam today and felt like absolute dog turd. I feel like I'm a pretty decent test taker, I scored high on step 1 >250, and been doing decent on my NBMEs and UWSA >250s/260s, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I completely bombed this test.

There were so many questions over guidelines that aren't covered in any of the review sources I studied (MTB, Uworld) and I had a surprising number of basic science questions. There was a lot of management questions where you could really argue for multiple answers. Then there was a handful of questions where I had absolutely no idea what was going on.

I'm hoping for a really good grading curve or I'm screwed.

I agree with you too about not changing the way I studied. I don't know what else I could have done that really would have prepared me for that beast.

How did you guys find the Pediatrics section in the FA CK book , i have the 8th edition .. I'm thinking of giving it a quick read. Thanks
There was some good parts in there; I didn't feel a strong need to go searching for outside resources to learn pediatrics (besides uworld + FA CK).

I'm just wondering if I will have time to review IM material during preparation for the surgery shelf (i.e., I want to re-read SUTM if I can), or will Surgery be an entirely new discipline with a shelf exam that I will have to learn and study for separately?

I appreciate your response, but I'm not interested in question dumps. They offer a false sense of achievement and I prefer the challenge of taking an unfamiliar exam.

Have you heard the phrase "a general surgeon is an internist with a scalpel?"

Most of the surgery shelf consists of IM material.

I've heard this so many times, but I find it to be disingenuous. While what you say is true in practice, for the shelf, the questions are heavily surgical in viewpoint. You get questions like a patient with a kinked foley, requires surgery for whatever, and so on. No IM shelf would ever ask the kinds of questions you see on the surgery shelf. They are 'IM questions' in that they relate to medicine in general, but they all have a heavy surgical bias.

It's hard to study for. Use surgical textbooks along with the usual qbanks. That, with a general solid foundation in medicine, is enough to get a great grade on the shelf.

Have you heard the phrase "a general surgeon is an internist with a scalpel?"

Most of the surgery shelf consists of IM material.
Thank you for the response. So if I wanted to, say, read SUTM again + Pestana + UWorld, the additional read of SUTM can only benefit me me, correct?

I'm just wondering if I will have time to review IM material during preparation for the surgery shelf (i.e., I want to re-read SUTM if I can), or will Surgery be an entirely new discipline with a shelf exam that I will have to learn and study for separately?

I appreciate your response, but I'm not interested in question dumps. They offer a false sense of achievement and I prefer the challenge of taking an unfamiliar exam.

If you've already had medicine, why re-read a medicine book? If anything, redo some UW IM. Otherwise, read a surgery book.

Thank you for the response. So if I wanted to, say, read SUTM again + Pestana + UWorld, the additional read of SUTM can only benefit me me, correct?

It is helpful if you focus on high yield areas. For example, GI, fluid and electrolyte management, trauma, nutrition, common peri-operative medical problems, types of shock, cardiology, pulmonology, etc. is helpful.

In that sense, it will not benefit you to simply re-read all of SUTM. It would be better to review Pestana to identify high yield areas and do a selective review of those areas in SUTM. Also, do all of the surgery NBME questions.

*signs onto thread looking for some inspiration... reads recent experiences... signs off and curls into fetal position*

Just took the school administrated clinical NBME comp exam , it was so vague and tested such random topics. The damn thing was almost 5 hours long with no schedule breaks .. I had cotton mouth by end of 2nd block and my bladder was about to explode lol

Okay guys: so I have been reading this thread and here is my experience.

Took the test late May, got my results today.
Step 2 CK Score: 272
Step 1 score: 265

Practice NBME 7: 260 (before my intensive 2 week study period).
USWA: 265 (2 days before the aexam).

I am at an American medical school, took CK after the end of my third year. During the year, my NBME scores for each clerkship ranged from 80 to 98.

In terms of studying, throughout the year I finished qbank for step 2 CK as I went along each clerkship (medicine questions during IM, OB during Ob/gyn, etc). I did the extra clerkship specific studying that they recommended here at my school (Pestana's for surgery, Pretest for peds, etc) but otherwise didn't do much else during the year. Then I had 15 days to redo the entire qbank+incorrects, and I read the entire step up to medicine book. I would do 4-5 44 question qbank blocks daily, and read 50-60 pages of the step up book.

As mentioned above, I took only NBME 7 before this intensive 15 day study period, and the USWA two days before. I didn't bother spending the extra money for NBME 6 because my qbank subscription ended early and I wasn't changing my test date regardless of my scores.

As far as the test itself, my worst section was psychiatry. This makes sense, most of the behavioral health questions were extremely vague and tricky. Most of my questions focused on ambulatory medicine, or also primary care for patients with complicated medical disorders such as Scleroderma or kyphoscoliosis. It was difficult, but I believe easier than step 1. The clinical year and the NBMEs really help. Also, it is a long test. So bring extra granola bars or snacks as well as a nice lunch.

Best of luck, and if you have any questions just PM me.

Reactions: 5 users