USMLE - Necessary or Not???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tranquillian

Futilely fighting entropy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For any DOs who have matched to an allopathic PM&R program (which is probably all of you, since there's just the one Osteopathic at MSU!), I have a question...

Did your program require that you take the USMLE step 1? Or were you able to apply with just your COMLEX score.

Also, does anyone know if you can take the USMLE step 2 without having taken step 1?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

No, yes, yes.

tranquillian said:
For any DOs who have matched to an allopathic PM&R program (which is probably all of you, since there's just the one Osteopathic at MSU!), I have a question...

Did your program require that you take the USMLE step 1? Or were you able to apply with just your COMLEX score.

Also, does anyone know if you can take the USMLE step 2 without having taken step 1?

tranquillian said:

I do not think that the USMLE is required anywhere. However, with that said, if you do chose to take the USMLE and you do well, it is an extra when applying. I did have several PDs comment about my USMLE I score, never heard anything about my COMLEX and I did similarly on both.

Bottom line, you really do not need it. But, if you are studying 6-8 weeks for COMLEX anyway, just schedule the USMLE 2 weeks after the COMLEX date and study biochem and biostats. If you do not do well, don't report it. I doubt anyone will ask.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for the info and advice....it is very much appreciated!

One more question though...can you take either exam (COMLEX or USMLE) and not report the results? I was under the impression that the programs you were matching to received your scores automatically, much in the same way as medical school received your MCAT scores.

Again, thanks for the help!

From what I thought (Please correct me if I am wrong), COMLEX scores have to be reported, but USMLE scores can be specifically released or not.

melancholy said:
From what I thought (Please correct me if I am wrong), COMLEX scores have to be reported, but USMLE scores can be specifically released or not.

That is correct.