Aways Necessary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OrthoRehab33

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think it's necessary, honestly. I didn't do an away. I had my school rotation, which was all outpatient, plus a private practice rotation that gave me some inpatient experience.

People can be very judgmental when you do an away and, unless you know you're going to be super stellar, you can hurt your chances by doing an away at a place you like.

I think you'll be okay with your scores. That's about what I got and I had no difficulty getting interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
What do you mean by private practice? Have you or will you do an inpatient rehab rotation? If I was a PD, I'd be weary about taking someone who has never taken an inpatient rehab rotation. If you have...then I think you'll probably be ok.

Yes, you can either help or hurt yourself during an audition...but there are more people helped than hurt. It's not unusual for something like an audition to separate someone from the pack. You have to look in the mirror and ask why you should get a spot over the plethora of other applicants with similar scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you mean by private practice? Have you or will you do an inpatient rehab rotation? If I was a PD, I'd be weary about taking someone who has never taken an inpatient rehab rotation. If you have...then I think you'll probably be ok.

Yes, you can either help or hurt yourself during an audition...but there are more people helped than hurt. It's not unusual for something like an audition to separate someone from the pack. You have to look in the mirror and ask why you should get a spot over the plethora of other applicants with similar scores.

I meant outpatient. I plan on trying to get inpatient exposure next year, it's just being a 3rd yr with where I'm at there isn't any inpatient. Yeah, I'm an average applicant (or slightly below)- I anticipate the results of such, but hopefully match somewhere.

Rotations are one concern but I can't emphasize how important letters of rec are in PM&R. And yes, those letters from academic physiatrists are held to a much higher standard.

Do an away. Yes, it can be harmful but if you work hard and show strong interest for one month, people there can be impressed and write you a good letter. This collectively will increase your competitiveness more than you'd think.

No an away is not necessary to match. I think you already knew this. However, I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to make your application as strong as possible.

I did 2 aways back when I was a med student. I never asked for any LOR's from those programs, however I talked about them a lot during my interviews. I don't think I would have gotten an interview at the program I matched at if I didn't do an away rotation there. The other program I did an away at dropped to the bottom of my rank list after rotating there. So I had clear benefits from doing the aways besides from learning a lot.

I know you say that you don't care what program that you end up at now, however matching into a 3 year program somewhere you end up not liking is not ideal. You can just browse through this forum to see every year there are PM&R residents who want to get out of the field or don't like their training program. I'd recommend putting a little more effort in now to get yourself in a more comfortable position for this time next year.