Chances & USMLE Step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pgambo89

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldnt take USMLE 2 unless you are set on one of the few programs that require USMLE. You are currently competitive and the last thing you want to do is do poorly on Step 2. Focus your attention on doing well on COMLEX...and if you are concerned about doing poorly on that, I’d talk to your program about it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone here has recommended taking USMLE step 2 for a DO student. Step 1 isn't necessary either. Better off doing really well on Comlex instead of doing just okay on both.

The caveat is that there are a few programs that only take USMLE. So if you want to go there then you have to take it. Except they probably still won't take you since your a DO and they don't like you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, do you all happen to know the programs notorious for this?

probably Colorado, there are some others but I don't really know.

What I did was go to every programs website and look up the information about their application requirements. Thats probably the only way to find out.

Colorado and UC Irvine are the two I know about. You need USMLE for Mayo categorical (requirement of the IM internship), but not advanced.

I’ve heard that Colorado makes it next to impossible for DOs to match or even rotate at their program. I’d honestly just save your money on that program.