Usf Ims????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,
First off I'd like to thank everyone for all the information you guys have been sharing. I been checking this thread for like 2 weeks now since i recieved the email that the IMS committee wasnt interviewing. I havent heard back from them and I'm beginning to wonder if I will.. At any rate I was curious if its too late to apply to the anatomy masters since I heard they have like 15-20 seats. Do you think it's worth applying to versus the Molecular Medicine program? Can you apply to both? lol sorry for all the questions! Anyways, I really wish all of you the best of luck! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Its a celebration!! I am so excited about having checked my email for the 100th time today. What a wonderful feeling this situation affords.

Is anyone else as excited as I?

Members don't see this ad :)
didn't they say that they will not notify us if we're rejected? (that's what they said at the info. session)... that sucks if it's true.

im pretty sure we willfind out for sure whether or not we are rejected. thats what seema (lady that workds at the office) said about two weeks ago, but they tend to change things by day. so who knows

Man I hope they let us know if we're rejected... or ill be hitting refresh all day tomorrow too

I think she said that either way you should get an email. This is craziness...it really is.

I received my rejection this morning. Best of luck to you all.

I am going to apply to that program today and do everything that I can to not lose an extra year in between grad school and med school.

i didn't get in either, good luck to you all.

Members don't see this ad :)
so is it possible to apply to other concentrations in usf masters of medical science? such as anatomy, for example? i got rejected as well, and looking for more options...

I got in.... did they really only take 15?

Were you just rejected or were you rejected and placed on the waiting list? I just want to see how often the waiting list was offered.

rejected and i'm really pissed. congrats gatorske, if you don't mind me asking, what were your gpa and mcat like? yeah, they said that they only take 15.

i have a question, wasn't this suppose to be rolling admissions? if so, i don't understand why they started reviewing applications late in march... i'm really pissed.

IMS from my knowledge is not rolling like the other masters programs. They wait and then compare the qualifications of all the applications.

yea I'm pretty sure it wasn't rolling. Thanks. I had a 3.45 and 26.

Man I just checked and I finally got replies... one saying I got accepted and one saying I got REJECTED... this is driving me nuts... I called Seema but no answer.

I was totally freaking out I wouldn't be accepted (and thus making future plans for an anatomy masters) for a number of reasons.

But I am accepted, yay!
:):):):):):):):):):)

I read this forum, saw that only 15 were being accepted, and pretty much lost hope. I didn't even realize I got the acceptance email yesterday, because it didn't forward correctly until today.
We have until the 22nd for them to receive our confirmations.... so I think they might be accepting more if people turn down seats.

JB

For those who want to get in touch and are going into the program, message me your email.

Sorry to ask this again, but were any of you put on the waiting list? I just want to see what my chances are after April 22.

any thoughts on the program? I was accepted but also at BU, NYMC, and VCU so I am just trying to make a decision. Any one hear anything about the IMS specifically?

Does anyone know if they have a waitlist? It sounds like there will be a few positions that may open up.

any thoughts on the program? I was accepted but also at BU, NYMC, and VCU so I am just trying to make a decision. Any one hear anything about the IMS specifically?

Here are the reviews for the schools.

BU

BU MAMS 2006-07

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)
PROS: actual medical school courses, assigned an advisor, friendly faculty

CONS: costs a lot.

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.

Medical school courses: Biochemistry, Physiology, Histology, Immunology, Endocrinology,

Electives: Biostatistics, anatomy.

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program
I went into it ready to work hard.

5) Tips for students applying to your program

I think the adcoms are more interested in where you are going rather than where you have been. Make that apparent in your essays and show some sign of improvement before expecting to get in if you have horrible stats ( ie: upward trend in GPA or high MCAT)

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?

Yup, I am sure I would have never gotten in with my undergraduate GPA.

7) Anything else you'd like to add

This program gives you a chance to prove or disprove you can handle medical school courses. Be ready to work like you are already in medical school.

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation) 5. It does the job.

VCU

VCU Basic Health Science Certificate (SMP)

1) Take essentially all of 1st year classes w/ exception of Gross Anatomy

Pros: Cheap tuition and living environment, helpful faculty, very low entrance requirements

Cons: only around 2/3 finish and only 15% get into MCV/VCU med school (much of this can be attributed to low entrance requirements)

2) Med school classes offered: Physiology, Cell Physiology, Biochemistry, Genetics, Immunology, Neuroanatomy, Histology

3) Harder to get into med school that the people who run the program would have you believe

4) Program is really, really hard. You need to come prepared to work. A 4.0 gets you in almost automatically, a 3.6 you may not be so lucky.

5) If you don't have to take histology, dont. It is very hard in grad school, very easy in med school. Not worth your time and effort

6) Got into med school with a 2.8 undergrad GPA

Rating: if you have a low GPA I rate it a 5 since, if you do well, you will get into med school when you otherwise wouldnt have a prayer. However if you are a borderline applicant (29, 3.4) I rate it a 3 since you can forever ruin your chances if you do poorly.

USF- Molecular Med. not IMS

guruDoc said:
Medical Sciences Masters of Sciences (M.S.M.S.): Molecular Medicine
1st year; only a 1 year program. finished fall semester this past fall 2007.

Program length => 3 semesters; fall, spring, summer. Can be done in two if you get special permission to take classes in spring that are for summer.

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

Pros: If you haven't taken the MCAT this is a good way to prepare for the bio portion of it because they teach you most everything you need to know for bio MCAT. It also uses many of the same powerpoints as the med students except we get a few more extra details they don't and don't have to know some of the stuff they do. You get to take a lot of courses that are more geared towards second year and the first year molecular medicine block. All lectures are video streamed too which is helpful.

The cons: You don't get to take the anatomy courses and histology courses that are more geared towards 1st year med school but you can do this by signing up for extra courses if you can handle it. I wouldn't advise it personally. If you are applying after the masters I'd do those extra anatomy courses afterwards in the following year. You also don't get a guaranteed interview to med school out of this program like you do with many SMP programs and formal postbacs.

As previously stated, its in the medical school facilities. We get video streaming and there are some ok study spots which are also used by the med students. There are 5 conference rooms and the library plus its conference rooms in there and the nickels lounge (computer lab areas some big desks to work at), the big lounge with the tv and leather couches, and the old kitchen lounge with a dining table. There's also access to the research building which has individual breakrooms normally used by researchers. After hours these can make good study spots.

Since the classrooms are in the same buildings as the med school classrooms, most classes are in MDL 1005 which have places to plug in laptops and the internet cords if you don't have wireless on your laptop. There is wireless internet on campus though so if you have wireless you are good to go.
Oh and there's a new gym for students in the med school area too but you have to have one person with you at all times for liability reasons if something happens while working out.

Faculty: Faculty seems really helpful from what I saw this semester. Not just the professors but the people in the office where we get our grades, the people in educational affairs where you reserve the conference rooms, Mrs. jackson, Mrs. Zahn, and so forth.

Cost: i'm not sure about this. You'd have to look it up by going to the following website: http://health.usf.edu/medicine/gradu...armedicine.htm

But as far as difficulty goes: it depends on your strengths and your weaknesses. I found it not that hard but a lot of work because of the bulk of material. you have to keep up and try to learn to make connections between all the material esp. in biochem.

Competitiveness, there will always be some gunners but most people who put the work do well. its not like they are trying to weed you out. They want people to succeed. Students, well you can't ever predict who your classmates are going to be so I'm going to not add thoughts on that.
2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.
Biochemistry, Molecular biology, cell biology: 5 credit course.
Description: its self explanatory from the title but the main difference betwen when you took these courses in undergrad and in grad school is you don't do useless stuff like tracing carbons or memorizing every single structure. You only need to know the key regulatory enzymes and the most important concepts. Also they don't really ask mathematical questions like solving delta G questions like they did in undergrad. They ask questions that emphasize the key points in the powerpoints.
Medical Microbiology: 3 credit course.
Description: First test is overview and basics of mycology (Fungi), virology, parasites (worms and protozoa), and basic bacterial genetics and metabolism concepts. Second and third test are more bacteriology focused and clinical case based. A good USMLE board review book gives good practice questions for this.
Scientific Writing and Ethics: 2 credit course
Description: Learn how to write scientific and review papers. Write a review paper and take in class quizzes. Really boring and more geared towards people who are planning on a research career but a necessary part of the degree
Electives: Biostats: online class or Bioinformatics.
I didn't take the fall electives. I'm doing mine in spring and summer.

Spring courses include: Genomics and Genetics, Host Parasite Interactions, Cellular and Molecular immunology, and elective choices. I'm taking advances in virology next semester but there is also proteomics and some biotechnology course offered.

Summer courses include metabolic basis of human disease, clinical correlations in molecular medicine, and vaccines and applied immunology. There is also the methods in molecular medicine course which is all lab stuff mostly.

You only need 5 credits of electives which is 2 courses.

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program
I wish I knew all the study spots around USF COM that I didn't discover til the last week or so. USF COM doesn't do a good job of advertising all the places they have to study around campus. The didn't do a good job of it at the orientation either.

4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program
Hardest course will be the first semester biochem course but if you are going to do this program I strongly advise you to learn things in such a way you retain it. As you go along start cutting or looking around your powerpoints for where things repeat and keep going over all the material instead of just that test's worth ofmaterial and you'll be saving a lot of trouble come finals time whenyou have the cumm. final. Try t piece it together like a story and make a play out of it when you are discussing with others. It will make you reember things. Don't memorize for the short term, try to make it stick in the long term.
If you do well in this you'll have a good shot at getting in med school though it isn't an official SMP program. I'm glad I did this program instead of the IMS program because its intense but not as intense as IMS.

5) Tips for students applying to your program
See above. Go to lecture even though its on video because sometimes they use laser pointers which don't show up on the video lectures. Only use video lectures as a replacement for going to lecture if you can't go due to illness or a job that is critical to paying your bills or reasons of that nature. Otherwise, try to use the video only to catch points you missed in lecture.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?
I'm applying after the program. I had a classmate that got several DO interviews and acceptances, another classmate who got an acceptance to dental school, yet another classmate who got into FSU COM, and another classmate who had several dental interviews. I know there are others in our class who also have had MD interviews but whether or not they've been accepted is another story.

7) Anything else you'd like to add

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)
My personal rating would be 5! Although it isn't an SMP program with guaranteed admissions, it is a really good program to help you boost your scientific knowledge and also allow you to take courses similar to the med student courses and boost your GPA. Most people who have done this program and succeeded and applied to medical or dental school have gotten in somewhere.

Note to students reading: A majority of these ratings will be subjective and will vary from student to student within the same program. This is just another resource to help our SDN students out :)

Does anyone know if they have a waitlist? It sounds like there will be a few positions that may open up.

Yes, there is one. In my email they said, "You[r] name has been placed on our waiting list in case a position becomes available after April 22, 2008."

I really hope they plan to send the master's program applicants their rejection/acceptance via email. I can't wait 7-10 days for snail mail!

Did you get your acceptance to the MSMS yet? I finished my application last week. Hopefully it is not too late.

I plan on attending this program and applying to med schools over the summer. Its time to kick the MCAT's ***. The fight is on!

Did you get your acceptance to the MSMS yet? I finished my application last week. Hopefully it is not too late.

I plan on attending this program and applying to med schools over the summer. Its time to kick the MCAT's ***. The fight is on!

I like how you worded that. ;) Nothing yet. I expect to receive something in the mail this week.

Did you get anything yet?

Nope. I guess they have until Friday to be within the time frame they quoted (7-10 days after the 15th)...unless they only count business days. Ugh! This wait is killer.

I applied to the anatomy MS, but i don't think my chances are that great. Does anyone know when they are going to tell who are accepted or rejected?

I got an email from Magda today from the medical science department saying that I was complete and my app. will be reviewed by the 15th of next month. They said I should get a letter in the mail between 7-10 days after the 15th. I guess they don't email decisions out???

gatorsdoc, why did you go with the Anatomy conc. over the Molecular Medicine conc?

Did anyone else go the molecular medicine route?

I completed my application last week, so I am assuming that I will hear 7-10 days after May 15th.

gatorsdoc, why did you go with the Anatomy conc. over the Molecular Medicine conc?

Did anyone else go the molecular medicine route?

I completed my application last week, so I am assuming that I will hear 7-10 days after May 15th.

Did you turn in your secondary package with everything in it? Until you receive the confirmation email from Magda, I would not assume you are complete for review.

I got an email from Magda today from the medical science department saying that I was complete and my app. will be reviewed by the 15th of next month. They said I should get a letter in the mail between 7-10 days after the 15th. I guess they don't email decisions out???

I emailed her last week and she said they send out email notification as well, but it is now day 9 for me and I have not received anything from them.

On a side note...I was just curious to see what the first semester schedule of the MM program would be like, so I looked it up.

Biochem, Cellular and Molecular Bio: MWF 3-4:50
Scientific Writing and Ethics: T 3-4:50
Medical Microbiology and Immunology: T 9-11:50

This is if you don't add any electives to your first semester. Not bad at all. Plenty of time to study for the MCAT.

Yes, I did finish my secondary. I have not received anything from the dept saying that I am complete yet. I will check with them next week if I don't hear anything.

That schedule isn't bad at all. Do you think it is possible to work part time with that schedule?

I am trying to take the MCAT in Aug so that I can apply for 2009 still. Hopefully it is possible.

Yes, I did finish my secondary. I have not received anything from the dept saying that I am complete yet. I will check with them next week if I don't hear anything.

That schedule isn't bad at all. Do you think it is possible to work part time with that schedule?

I am trying to take the MCAT in Aug so that I can apply for 2009 still. Hopefully it is possible.

I think you should ask someone who is in the program that...maybe GujuDoc. I personally think I would go stir crazy if this were the only thing on my plate, but I am a busy bee.

i have a question, for the other medical master's programs, do all the materials have to be sent as one packet? can't my college send the transcripts to usf? i don't have access to my unofficial transcripts anymore thru that facts.org website b/c i graduated in december. and if my institution has my recommendation letters, can they forward the letters separately to usf? ahhhh, i've been calling and e-mailing them with these questions but i haven't gotten a response, please help me!

i have a question, for the other medical master's programs, do all the materials have to be sent as one packet? can't my college send the transcripts to usf? i don't have access to my unofficial transcripts anymore thru that facts.org website b/c i graduated in december. and if my institution has my recommendation letters, can they forward the letters separately to usf? ahhhh, i've been calling and e-mailing them with these questions but i haven't gotten a response, please help me!

I got had my official transcripts sent to me and made copies of them as the unofficial copies. Once I had my whole packet together, I went to my pre-med office and had them add the letters to it and send the whole packet out.

I was under the impression that the molecular medicine track was the way to go if you were applying to med school. Is this not right? Is the anatomy track the better route?

I wouldn't believe that either program is "better" than the other. I think with the molecular med. program you get a much more varied selection of science disciplines at the same time which is more representative of how med school will be. In the anatomy program, you do get to take some more hardcore classes like foundations which is essentially the same as what the med students take, but your classes are basically all anatomy related and you don't take as many overall, so slipping up will hurt you more. I think the point is that you need to pick whichever one you think will help you more. You need to do very well, get to know people around USF that will help you come admissions time, do research, volunteer, etc. etc. Most importantly, you need to do well on the MCAT. Do those things, and you'll have a fighting chance at schools, including USF, despite what others are saying. A lot of kids are going to come into these programs thinking they can just take the classes and get into M.D. programs w/o doing anything else and having a sub-par MCAT, and they're going to be disappointed. So, keep that in mind and make yourself stand out and you'll have a shot. Good luck.

Still no word on the waiting list for IMS. I hope all 15 didn't accept; at least for my benefit.

floridab said:
Did you end up choosing IMS?

In regards to IMS, i was talking to a friend of mine who is a MS I at USF. I asked her about how many got into med school.

Of the 15, 2 were rejected. The rest either got in or high enough on the waitlist that they will ultimately get an acceptance.

Of those who were rejected, 1 was accepted to Nova for DO school. The other ended up getting in no where and is freaking out. I was told by the same MS I friend that this other person did well in everything but physiology. I think physio in most IMS programs is the most important course. The others are important to do well in, but the physio rade is often what can make or break you. a lot of other SMP programs that don't let people take all the med school courses make them take physio and use that as the big course they use to assess things.

Thank you for the info GujuDoc. I was actually referring to the waiting list to get into the IMS program. The admissions committee is ranking the waiting list and will inform people of their acceptance after 4/22 or when their is space. Its good to know that the majority of the IMS people get into medical school after the program. The poster BenB (cant remember his user name) doesn't know this, but I was in a lab with him one summer before he graduated from UF.