USC Master of Science in Global medicine Class of 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you and good luck at your SMP!
Here's to hoping that the rest of us finally get word back this week..

It's amazing how they're dragging this out... SIR is due August 5 and orientation is August 8 so it has to be this week ......... Next week would really be pushing it

Members don't see this ad.

It's amazing how they're dragging this out... SIR is due August 5 and orientation is August 8 so it has to be this week ......... Next week would really be pushing it

True.. It would be great to hear back anything at all! Good news or bad, it's so frustrating being kept in the dark

Members don't see this ad :)
If I could teleport from Sacramento to LA and continue MCAT hell prep I would...but I'm not that magical yet. xD I wish I could though.

Hey Guys!
Best of luck to everyone attending the Fall term! I am applying the the Spring term and has been working on my personal statement for a while now, but I'm very nervous that it wouldn't be strong enough. Can someone who got into the program give me some advise on how to go about it? and maybe some stats so I know where I stand? C:

Thanks!!

Anyone know if they're flexible on the admission requirements? I have a 26 MCAT. -_______-

Last edited:
Did anyone get a missed call and voice message from usc ?

Hey Guys!
Best of luck to everyone attending the Fall term! I am applying the the Spring term and has been working on my personal statement for a while now, but I'm very nervous that it wouldn't be strong enough. Can someone who got into the program give me some advise on how to go about it? and maybe some stats so I know where I stand? C:

Thanks!!

I think the best advice I can give is to be genuine and explain why global medicine. I went into detail my disappointment how I couldn't get a minor in global health at my university due to poor management and how this program is a perfect fit. Hope I helped!

Just got in ! Did anyone get accepted to management track ?

Just got in ! Did anyone get accepted to management track ?

I did!

I figured I didn't want to do classes I'm going to do in med school anyways... and management track would offer a bunch of opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise.

Last edited:
Congrats. So did I. What do you think about the distinction between us and clinical track students. Do you think they are the pool from which most med school matriculate come out of ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the best advice I can give is to be genuine and explain why global medicine. I went into detail my disappointment how I couldn't get a minor in global health at my university due to poor management and how this program is a perfect fit. Hope I helped!

That's great advise! Thanks! I wrote about my experience of making a difference in Peru during a clinical internship C:

Hey everybody! Congrats to those who were recently accepted. I wanted to make a facebook group for our class but I realized that you need to "choose friends to add to your group" before you can make it! I suppose someone else can make it if you are already fb friends!

Does anyone know if they make exceptions for the cutoffs of 3.0 and 28 MCAT? I have a 3.55 and a 26, but will retake the MCAT in September to get scores for the October 15th deadline for Spring admission. I'll call the office on Monday but if anyone knows beforehand, please let me know!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they make exceptions for the cutoffs of 3.0 and 28 MCAT? I have a 3.55 and a 26, but will retake the MCAT in September to get scores for the October 15th deadline for Spring admission. I'll call the office on Monday but if anyone knows beforehand, please let me know!

When I called, Tracy told me the 28 was necessary, however, she also told me I could always take the GREs and turn that score instead. For me, since I was still in my post bac, I scored below the 28 on my MCAT the first time around. (Reallly sucky test day that I should have voided but no...I liked being stubborn.) But I digress, I took the GREs, got 315 which was at their minimum of 300. And I did that because it's a hell of a lot easier to study for. And my own GPA was 3.25 so what I'm thinking is that the minimums let them read your application and then they make a decision. If you are in a time crunch, I recommend taking the GREs and then taking your time to study well for the MCATs.

Nice to meet everyone - management track GM class of 2014 progressive degree student here! I won't be at orientation, but look forward to the Global Medicine Opportunities meeting :) PM me a profile link/message if you want to be FB friends!

Hey everybody! Congrats to those who were recently accepted. I wanted to make a facebook group for our class but I realized that you need to "choose friends to add to your group" before you can make it! I suppose someone else can make it if you are already fb friends!

This sounds like a great idea - has anyone done it yet?

Congrats. So did I. What do you think about the distinction between us and clinical track students. Do you think they are the pool from which most med school matriculate come out of ?

From my experience, there just tend to be more clinical students, but percentage-wise, I don't believe there is a distinction between the two.

I did!

I figured I didn't want to do classes I'm going to do in med school anyways... and management track would offer a bunch of opportunities I wouldn't have otherwise.

Same reason I'm management! Can't wait to see you guys in classes!

Nice to meet everyone - management track GM class of 2014 progressive degree student here! I won't be at orientation, but look forward to the Global Medicine Opportunities meeting :) PM me a profile link/message if you want to be FB friends!

What/when is the Global Medicine Opportunities meeting? It seems like all the info is going to be given during orientation, and since I'm missing that... I feel totally out of the loop, like a freshmen again. :D I just wanna start!

Jen said the end of August or beginning of September - I can't wait for GM 500. The prof who teaches it is AMAZING - and I just want to meet everyone else!! :D

Last edited:
What are people doing for housing???? I'm looking and was wondering where other students will be living. Any recommendations would be nice too!

What are people doing for housing???? I'm looking and was wondering where other students will be living. Any recommendations would be nice too!

Yeah I'm curious too! I'm currently living at home about half an hour away, but with traffic that could turn into >1 hour... and my parents are driving me nuts, so I would love to find a cheap apartment to share with a few students, I'd be ok with taking a living room or doubling because I won't be there a lot of the time anyway. Anyone know of such opportunities?

I'm living in Rosemead, relocating from NorCal so big move for me. Where I'm staying is about 20-30min away as well, probably longer with traffic but it's $425 for a single room with utilities in a house with a UCLA student and her family. Looked on craigslist, did a lot of calling and had relatives scout out the areas for me. I do know it's a bit cheaper in Monterey Park or Rosemead but again, that's due to distance...etc..

Jen said the end of August or beginning of September - I can't wait for GM 500. The prof who teaches it is AMAZING - and I just want to meet everyone else!! :D

Dr. Sanchez right? Yeah I heard he's really good, I'm looking forward to meeting all the other global med students as well :).

Joined! Thank you for the link

Yeah I'm curious too! I'm currently living at home about half an hour away, but with traffic that could turn into >1 hour... and my parents are driving me nuts, so I would love to find a cheap apartment to share with a few students, I'd be ok with taking a living room or doubling because I won't be there a lot of the time anyway. Anyone know of such opportunities?

Yeah I'm kinda in the same position. I live around 45 mins away, which if you add traffic could be over an hour. My parents are also driving me crazy, but I don't want to add more debt for living on my own. On the global medicine packet they give you by email they have locations to check out.

A couple good areas to look into that are like 10-15 minute drive are Alhambra, Montecito Heights, & Monterey Park. Alhambra is the closest and pretty well priced. Most of the places in these areas are all houses, lots listed on craigslist. A lot of HSC students live in DTLA as well, but thats definitely way higher priced! South Pasadena is a pretty easy commute too, but depending on what times classes are/traffic.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Hey guys, im applying for the spring semester 2014. what did you guys discuss in your personal statements for this program. i have no idea where to begin!

any help pleeeaseee.