USC Master of Science in Global medicine Class of 2013-2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I applied at the end of last year. I was going to apply for spring semester but decided waiting until fall would be better. It's been torture all of these months! Hope you all hear back soon :)

Many, many congrats! Oh gosh, I applied rather late..xD

Members don't see this ad.

IS this program a two part application process ? or just submit part one then mail in supporting documents?

Members don't see this ad :)
IS this program a two part application process ? or just submit part one then mail in supporting documents?

Hey Ange, the second part is mailing in the supporting documents.

And get them in ASAP. They take a while to process according to Jennifer.

Heads up guys, I just talked to Jennifer and she said they'll be doing phone calls to students as well. And they're doing these phone calls in batches, so we should be getting news in the upcoming weeks. Cheers.

Heads up guys, I just talked to Jennifer and she said they'll be doing phone calls to students as well. And they're doing these phone calls in batches, so we should be getting news in the upcoming weeks. Cheers.

Phone calls for accepted and rejected students?

Something tells me they are waiting until the application closes and then making a decision by mid-late June. No news is good news at this point.

They shouldn't be. That's not what Jennifer said. Let's wait until Friday at least. You can call her this time if there's still nothing. =P

Members don't see this ad :)
Latest word is end of next week, or the week after, from Jennifer when I spoke with her today. So it seems like they did wait until after the application deadline (tomorrow).

Something tells me they are waiting until the application closes and then making a decision by mid-late June. No news is good news at this point.

And for both acceptances and rejections, they will contact you directly before the snail mail.

First time poster, long time lurker. Hoping for good news this week!

Monday over. nothing huh?

Good luck everyone!

Monday over. nothing huh?

Good luck everyone!

Nothing. Put yourself in their shoes. I am sure they have so many applications (especially the last minute rush from the weekend) to sift through. They need to choose quality candidates that will make a difference in their program and following completion. My instinct tells me the pre-June 1st apps have already been reviewed and awaiting a final decision later this week.

It'll all work out. Keep faith and best of luck to everyone!

I'm sure they're swamped as well. Luck to all of us. =D Jennifer said they'd take as many qualified candidates as possible but they did get an increase in applicants this year.

I'm sure they're swamped as well. Luck to all of us. =D Jennifer said they'd take as many qualified candidates as possible but they did get an increase in applicants this year.

Next week it is.

I've been anticipating some kind of news all week and ended up emailing Jennifer. I asked her when applicants would hear back she said in about " ~3 weeks ". Ahhh, I submitted my application on February, trying to be so patient here. Oh well, we'll see! Good luck everyone :)

It's times like these when I wish I could see into the future...

Three weeks??

Guess I did have to send that deposit to another program after all. I was trying to hold out for MSGM, but thats too log to hold a spot without a deposit. That's a long time to wait when other post baccs are already handing out decisions too. I'd love to start making plans!

In other news, I was accepted to USC's M.S. in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology (designed for premedical people) a month ago. This program has something like 8 first and second year medical school courses in it, a thesis under an MD at the SOM, and I was given until July 1st to decide. It costs the same as the MSGM, but takes 2 years.

They're even still accepting applications.

http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade...spx?_id=E4C04DFBB59E4B9C82E07BF4A781F5BB&_z=z

Courses de Jour:
MICB-500L: Introductory Medical Microbiology (4), MICB-501: Introduction to Immunology (1), MICB-502: Molecular and Cellular Immunology (2, max 8), MICB-503: Current Topics in Immunology (1, max 8), INTD-504: Molecular Biology of Cancer (4), INTD-522: Infection and Host Response (4), INTD-531: Cell Biology (4), MICB-542: Animal Virology (2, max 6), MICB-550: Microbial Pathogenesis (2), MICB-551: Procaryotic Molecular Genetics (4), MICB-560: Recent Advances in Microbiology (1, max 6), INTD-561: Molecular Genetics (4), INTD-571: Biochemistry (4), INTD-572: Systems Physiology and Disease I (4), INTD-573: Systems Physiology and Disease II (4), BIOC-601: Molecular Biology of Gene Regulation (2, max 8).

It's actually for premedical people:
"... an MS degree in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology can be used as a solid foundation for further professional studies towards higher degrees, including the PhD and/or MD degrees."

Of course, if you majored in something like music, it's not really for you. LOL

In other news, I was accepted to USC's M.S. in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology (designed for premedical people) a month ago. This program has something like 8 first and second year medical school courses in it, a thesis under an MD at the SOM, and I was given until July 1st to decide. It costs the same as the MSGM, but takes 2 years.

They're even still accepting applications.

http://keck.usc.edu/Education/Acade...spx?_id=E4C04DFBB59E4B9C82E07BF4A781F5BB&_z=z

Courses de Jour:
MICB-500L: Introductory Medical Microbiology (4), MICB-501: Introduction to Immunology (1), MICB-502: Molecular and Cellular Immunology (2, max 8), MICB-503: Current Topics in Immunology (1, max 8), INTD-504: Molecular Biology of Cancer (4), INTD-522: Infection and Host Response (4), INTD-531: Cell Biology (4), MICB-542: Animal Virology (2, max 6), MICB-550: Microbial Pathogenesis (2), MICB-551: Procaryotic Molecular Genetics (4), MICB-560: Recent Advances in Microbiology (1, max 6), INTD-561: Molecular Genetics (4), INTD-571: Biochemistry (4), INTD-572: Systems Physiology and Disease I (4), INTD-573: Systems Physiology and Disease II (4), BIOC-601: Molecular Biology of Gene Regulation (2, max 8).

It's actually for premedical people:
"... an MS degree in Molecular Microbiology and Immunology can be used as a solid foundation for further professional studies towards higher degrees, including the PhD and/or MD degrees."

Of course, if you majored in something like music, it's not really for you. LOL

Great, it is clear where your passion lies. For others it is in global medicine. Congrats on your acceptance! :)

Thanks! I applied at the end of last year. I was going to apply for spring semester but decided waiting until fall would be better. It's been torture all of these months! Hope you all hear back soon :)

Congrats! Out of curiosity, has anyone else heard back yet? :D

We'll just have to hold on breaths on a weekly basis. xD

Three weeks??

Guess I did have to send that deposit to another program after all. I was trying to hold out for MSGM, but thats too log to hold a spot without a deposit. That's a long time to wait when other post baccs are already handing out decisions too. I'd love to start making plans!

I'm in the same boat! I hope we find out this week! :scared:

Still no news, but I found out that if anyone has additional grades to send, please send them. Jennifer said that might actually be to your benefit, especially if it boosts it up.

For people that already got in, did you guys find out via snail mail only?
Or did you also get an email and/or phone call?

Just curious!

For people that already got in, did you guys find out via snail mail only?
Or did you also get an email and/or phone call?

Just curious!

I believe only absurdity has gotten an acceptance via mail thus far, and he applied end of last year. xD The rest of us are still waiting. I think Jennifer said they'd be calling/emailing acceptances and rejections as well before your snail mail comes. But it's taking so long I'm not entirely sure what they're going to do now.

I'm surprised it's taking this long to find out! When I talked to Jennifer in early May she said I would be finding out in the first batch ~ mid May..So there must be others out there that have been accepted. Also, Jennifer called me the day before my letter came but no email. Must have had a lot of applicants this year..eek wish you all the best!

How is caligornia

Last edited:
Withdrew earlier this week. Looking into doing the physician track in a couple years. Good luck everyone!

Has anyone else heard back in the past few days?

I'm starting to worry that "no news" is becoming "bad news!"

Has anyone else heard back in the past few days?

I'm starting to worry that "no news" is becoming "bad news!"

I got the call yesterday that I'm in :).

Hope you guys get in too, she said it was a very competitive cycle this year.

Many congrats to those getting in. Did you guys apply at the beginning of the year? I'm just trying to see if they're starting with early applicants and working their way down. Let's hope we all hear news, good or bad soon. -nervous but just wants to know-

I got the call yesterday that I'm in :).

Hope you guys get in too, she said it was a very competitive cycle this year.

Congrats!!! When did you apply for the program? (if you don't mind me asking). I heard that they are working their way in order of application submission and am curious if my batch has already passed

Congrats!!! When did you apply for the program? (if you don't mind me asking). I heard that they are working their way in order of application submission and am curious if my batch has already passed

I applied May 1st, I forgot to send in my mcat score till may 25th though but I don't know if that had any effect in my admissions date.

Best of luck!

I applied May 1st, I forgot to send in my mcat score till may 25th though but I don't know if that had any effect in my admissions date.

Best of luck!

That's wonderful! Congrats again.

Has anyone gotten (or heard) about them sending rejections? So far it seems like people are just getting accepted or not hearing anything.

I have a feeling rejections are going to be emailed. But sit tight, we don't know yet until this week and like the next two weeks. -crosses fingers-

I have a feeling rejections are going to be emailed. But sit tight, we don't know yet until this week and like the next two weeks. -crosses fingers-

That's what I was thinking too..

There's hope for the next couple weeks!

Received the good news call yesterday! Applied April 28th. Best of luck to the rest!