US federal loans for UK med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted158872

Are US federal loans (including Grad Plus) available for UK medical schools (4-year and 5-year programs)?
Where can I find this information?

Members don't see this ad.

Are US federal loans (including Grad Plus) available for UK medical schools (4-year and 5-year programs)?
Where can I find this information?

I believe it's school specific. But any UK program should qualify for all the above. I just finished my FAFSA for SGUL and you select non USA school and theirs a long long list

on FAFSA, there's a list of UK schools, but none indicates "medical school", so i don't know whether the loans are available for undergrad or also for grad programs...
how about Grad Plus?

PS: are you filing FAFSA for SGUL for 2015 or 2016 entry?

Members don't see this ad :)
on FAFSA, there's a list of UK schools, but none indicates "medical school", so i don't know whether the loans are available for undergrad or also for grad programs...
how about Grad Plus?

PS: are you filing FAFSA for SGUL for 2015 or 2016 entry?

2015 and yeah grad plus are available. I would think that any program that undergrad loans were available than graduate programs would be available.

i've heard someone on here say that SGUL is the only school that is eligible for fed loans.
i don't know who to contact to ask for sure about other UK schools...

2015 and yeah grad plus are available. I would think that any program that undergrad loans were available than graduate programs would be available.

Schools that qualify for undergrad US federal loans do not necessarily qualify for US federal loans for the MD/MBBS programs. The majority of Australian schools that qualify for undergrad loans do not qualify for the medical program specifically. You can't even check their websites most of the time. Trust me, I spent hours making a list from the US government page only to find out the discrepancies. You have to email each admission office separately for an answer. UQ, UQO, Flinders, and Melbourne are the only ones I could apply to. I forget about Sydney. I don't like Sydney so I could've crossed it off my list for that purpose.... It has been a long a tedious application cycle already. :/

Anyway, the only way to know for sure if it's not explicitly stated is to contact the school directly or ask their representative. That's it.

so UQO is eligible for fed loans?
Why don't you like Sydney?

UQ-O is able to receive Federal loans. I'm afraid it was through emails that I got clarification and not the mededpath website. The site links you to UQ's funding, so I'm assuming they're treated identically. I'll have to check again.

It's hard to come up with exact reasons I disliked Sydney (they don't take federal loans, i double checked!) The city reminded me a lot of LA, where everything is sprawled out. Public transit is great but it took ages to get places. The city seemed more segregated than I'm used to and I didn't like how, at the time, they were more racist/bigoted than Melbourne. Australians are 1950's America racist. The kind of racist that isn't necessarily expressed until pressed and then it's taken as a fact of life. It's a little jarring until you realize their definition of PC is much different than ours. Sydney is about as far north as you can go and still swim in the ocean without a stinger suit, so it has that going for it. Anyway, I would live in Adelaide before I lived in Sydney.