Applying to the UK from the US with a bachelor's degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michellenguyen17

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had resources or ideas about studying medicine abroad. I know there is a lot of concerns about going abroad for medical school but I have genuinely been so interested in this idea for so long. I do what to preface this by saying, if I were to go abroad and study medicine there I would most likely stay abroad as well to practice (this is just my own intentions). I have planned to apply both in the US and the UK. However, I am not sure how to go about applying abroad as I know there is a lot of information about the application process in the US. Here are some questions I have:

1. I know there is a UCAT and BMAT. How similar is it to the MCAT?
2. Is the UCAS portal the same as the common app for the US schools?
3. Do UK schools take into consideration of MCAT scores?
4. What are good resources about which schools will take international students?

If anyone has any information about this or more, it would be amazing to get some guidance on this process. In addition, if anyone has done this themselves successfully or not, I do wanna know as much as possible so please share! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had resources or ideas about studying medicine abroad. I know there is a lot of concerns about going abroad for medical school but I have genuinely been so interested in this idea for so long. I do what to preface this by saying, if I were to go abroad and study medicine there I would most likely stay abroad as well to practice (this is just my own intentions). I have planned to apply both in the US and the UK. However, I am not sure how to go about applying abroad as I know there is a lot of information about the application process in the US. Here are some questions I have:

4. What are good resources about which schools will take international students?

If anyone has any information about this or more, it would be amazing to get some guidance on this process. In addition, if anyone has done this themselves successfully or not, I do wanna know as much as possible so please share! Thank you!

Hi Michelle

I am British and studied here in London as a home student. There were at least 4 Canadians in my year at St George's Medical School.

Possibly there were two Americans in my year also, but not sure if they applied as Americans or as Europeans because they both had parents from an European country.

My suggestion might be to contact the Student Unions of UK medical schools, as they might have an 'International Society'

See this dedicated link If you're from the US and you are interested in studying at St George's

Hello everyone,

Your best chance at a UK med school as an international student is Buckingham. Every other university has to cap the amount of non-UK students in their class, but since UoB is private, they don’t.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I also looking for the same consultant who helps me in making my academic works here I found the Report Writing Help service for my works they are telling me that they will give a discount to me on my first assignment and on the second assignment they will also give me more discount as compared to first.

Your best chance at a UK med school as an international student is Buckingham. Every other university has to cap the amount of non-UK students in their class, but since UoB is private, they don’t.
if you don’t mind me asking what were your stats for UoB, I am in the process of applying here and wanted to gauge myself on whether I’d be a competitive applicant

if you don’t mind me asking what were your stats for UoB, I am in the process of applying here and wanted to gauge myself on whether I’d be a competitive applicant
as long as you meet their reqs, you’ve got a chance. I’d say apply ASAP, because this year (2021), they cancelled the last few interview dates because they were already full. Several people who interviewed on what ended up being the last day were told they were interviewing for the waitlist. School told us roughly 1 in 11 is selected for an interview, and from those who interview, 1 in 3 is accepted. I would guess it gets more competitive the further into the cycle you get (that’s how the US is).

Reactions: 1 user