Should I go to TCD or UK (Manchester) for residency in the USA? URGENT!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandKibbles

Reaction score
HIya

So I am in a weird scenario. I have current ambitions to do some surgery relating to the Head and Neck region.

I have an offer from Trinity College Dublin (Ireland) as well as the University of Manchester (United Kingdom) to study Medicine, and I am a school leaver applicant who has just completed his A levels (so, I'm 18 years old).

I understand it is practically impossible for FMGs to apply to competitive specialties such as ENT/PRS, but I was wondering which university would give me greater prospects if I were to nonetheless try to apply to the USA in the future (I hear its more possible to get into a competitive specialty if I first try to grab a 1/2 year research position somewhere in the USA?)

Would either make a difference since I'll be an FMG anyways? I figured that TCD could have the added benefit of greater 'recognition' such that they have a greater proportion of graduates who go on to grab a residency in the USA vs Manchester who mainly keep their doctors in the NHS. But I then realise the problem could be if TCD does have greater recognition but this recognition is mainly negative, could anyone tell me whether TCD has any such reputation?

I am quite tight for time because admissions were delayed for TCD and so I got an offer a few days ago, by which time I already accepted my Manchester offer. It's not a difficult situation as I can move between either country relatively easily (currently based in England). But I practically only have a day to decide.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

There really is no difference between TCD and University of Manchester. Most of these programs receive applications from medical schools all over the world and won't distinguish between these two. Both are similar in terms of reputation and although TCD has more North Americans than Manchester does, its a negligible amount more. So choose whichever one you prefer, it won't make a difference to you in the end.