US Citizen --> EU Medicine --> EU Residency??? SERIOUSLY need some advice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkalim

Figuring things out...
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I seriously need some advice...I've been doing research on this on the past few weeks and still haven't come to any conclusions, so I need some help.

I'm currently an undergraduate pre-medical student wanting to attend medical school in the EU, finish residency in the EU, and practice as a physician in the EU.

I intend to gain dual citizenship in a country that allows it (i.e. UK, Sweden, Finland, Belgium, France etc.), and live in Europe for the rest of my life.

At first I was researching UK residencies only, and forum after website after forum was stating the difficulty of non-EU/EEA nationals of acquiring a spot in their 2-year Foundation Programme (basically equivalent to the U.S. residency, I suppose. Required to be licensed as a doctor in the UK).

So then I thought...why not check into other EU countries that may have more spots for non-EU/EEA nationals in their residency programs?

I'm willing to spend time to learn the language. Where I live we have several language schools (there's a German language school right down the street from my home, with all the teachers being native speakers), and I can utilize Rosetta Stone and other resources as well. I would even be willing to possibly complete a Master's degree in the actual country so I can be immersed in the language there and learn it fluently.

Basically, I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

Again, I'm intending to complete all of my medical training within the EU, but I won't be able to gain citizenship within a country there until I've been living there for 5 years on a non-student visa. Which is the problem--I can't work until I finish my medical training, but it's difficult for non citizens to get a spot in the medical training so...ugh.

So...does anyone know of some EU countries that might be easier to acquire a spot within a residency program?

Thanks so much.

And sorry about the long post!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that it's very possible in Germany. I'm also a non-EU/EAA and will finish my medschool in Italy. I was checking about the germans and it sounds like they really miss some medical workforce and basically require just a real good german knowledge. The problem is that from my impression they pay is not very high and the hierarchy in the hospital is very strict.. The fact that lot's of doctors are missing (there is an outflow towards uk and scandinavian countries) means mainly 2 things for me. 1. That the burden of work is higher, so maybe not that much free time and 2. that maybe it's not that difficult to get to a specialty in comparison with overcrowded places like UK.
I was also surprised to see that the specialty programs in Germany are not very solid structured and there is no guarantee how much it will take to specialize, but at least you're already getting payed, so maybe it's not that big of a deal.

If you find some more info about Germany (in case this option sounds good for you), I'll be glad to research this topic further together.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard that it's very possible in Germany. I'm also a non-EU/EAA and will finish my medschool in Italy. I was checking about the germans and it sounds like they really miss some medical workforce and basically require just a real good german knowledge. The problem is that from my impression they pay is not very high and the hierarchy in the hospital is very strict.. The fact that lot's of doctors are missing (there is an outflow towards uk and scandinavian countries) means mainly 2 things for me. 1. That the burden of work is higher, so maybe not that much free time and 2. that maybe it's not that difficult to get to a specialty in comparison with overcrowded places like UK.
I was also surprised to see that the specialty programs in Germany are not very solid structured and there is no guarantee how much it will take to specialize, but at least you're already getting payed, so maybe it's not that big of a deal.

If you find some more info about Germany (in case this option sounds good for you), I'll be glad to research this topic further together.

I've actually been doing some research on medical school and residency in Germany. I'd definitely be willing to take the time to learn the language fluently before applying...but what scares me is the fact that there is no time limit to the "assistenzarst" position (U.S. equivalent of a resident), and that several students have to jump around from hospital to hospital before the sit the boards because they cannot fulfill the requirements in one place. See:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=514148

post #6

Last edited:
In other news, I'm beginning to feel quite discouraged...it seems so impossible for a U.S. citizen to complete medical school AND training in the EU, and become a doctor there. All I want to do is learn, live, and practice in one country. I don't know why they make it so difficult for a non-EU citizen to come there and do that...

In other news, I'm beginning to feel quite discouraged...it seems so impossible for a U.S. citizen to complete medical school AND training in the EU, and become a doctor there. All I want to do is learn, live, and practice in one country. I don't know why they make it so difficult for a non-EU citizen to come there and do that...

Probably because like most countries, they gear their policies to the benefit of their own citizens? US does that too, after all, and unlike some EU countries the US actually has a problem of not enough doctors (or at least unequal distribution thereof) and if anything should be making it easier.

If you go to an EU school (UK or other) with the way things stand at the moment you wont have a problem getting a foundation post in the UK. Beyond this I'm not sure, you would need to look it up.

Get yourself a German cutie ;)

Certain individuals are able to work freely without having to apply for a work permit. This includes foreigners married to a German citizen who resides in Germany.

In general, spouses are given the same rights as the spouse already in Germany. Therefore, if the spouse in Germany has the right to work, the spouse who comes to join him or her will also have that right
http://www.workpermit.com/germany/children_and_spouses.htm

(Advice may also apply to other countries in the EU)