Urogynecology Fellowship advice / help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just matched into OBGYN.

I know that I should focus on being successful in that, but I’ve also heard, “if you want to fellowship, you need to prepare from day 1”

So I’m just looking for any information on what makes for a competitive urogyn fellowship applicant / what a competitive profile looks like / etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Just matched into OBGYN.

I know that I should focus on being successful in that, but I’ve also heard, “if you want to fellowship, you need to prepare from day 1”

So I’m just looking for any information on what makes for a competitive urogyn fellowship applicant / what a competitive profile looks like / etc.

Go to a good program.
An academic institution with its own fellowship is best.

Be a good resident overall. The best fellows were always strong residents. Plus you still need to be board certified in general OBGYN.

Meet with your urogyn faculty. Let them know you are interested.

Try to do a project that you can submit to AUGS and eventually publish.

Apply to be a resident scholar for AUGS. I believe it is for third year residents but you should verify yourself.

Do well on your CREOGS. Programs do ask for this.

Go to the yearly meeting and have your faculty help you network.

I came from a little community program. I was able to do 1 month rotation with a well known faculty and got a good letter of recommendation. I know that helped me out a bit.

The 2 most important things (at least what I look for) is research and letters from faculty. We will often call each other about applicants and the opinion of your home program matters a lot, especially if I trust the person. So cozy up to your programs Urogyns, start research early, go to journal clubs and generally just be visible

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to a good program.
An academic institution with its own fellowship is best.

Be a good resident overall. The best fellows were always strong residents. Plus you still need to be board certified in general OBGYN.

Meet with your urogyn faculty. Let them know you are interested.

Try to do a project that you can submit to AUGS and eventually publish.

Apply to be a resident scholar for AUGS. I believe it is for third year residents but you should verify yourself.

Do well on your CREOGS. Programs do ask for this.

Go to the yearly meeting and have your faculty help you network.

I came from a little community program. I was able to do 1 month rotation with a well known faculty and got a good letter of recommendation. I know that helped me out a bit.
The 2 most important things (at least what I look for) is research and letters from faculty. We will often call each other about applicants and the opinion of your home program matters a lot, especially if I trust the person. So cozy up to your programs Urogyns, start research early, go to journal clubs and generally just be visible
I am a DO and I matched into a community based program. I had interviews at university based programs but alas, one can only rank them as I see fit and hope for the best.

Sounds like doing well on exams, getting some urogyn research in, and being a strong resident will help. Networking may be crucial for me though.

Any other advice?