URM Friendly Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hopkins is notorious for being URM-unfriendly on all levels which is a light word to say the least. I guess we like to be professional on SND so I'll keep it at that. Racism doesn't have to be documented to exist and fellow URMs obviously know that as facts.

I was looking at MPH programs at Johns Hopkins at this is what I found: https://www.quora.com/Can-anyone-sp...ool-of-Public-Health-from-personal-experience (scroll down). Of course, the Henrietta Lacks story and lack of demonstrated substantial (non-bare minimum) change from that in the health world is a red flag as well.

I visited GWU and it depends on what you define as a URM-friendly schools - which depends on the person most likely. GWU had a fairly diverse student body with an emphasis on collaboration rather than competition. They are definitely trying and say they are committed to social justice. They are doing the work by opening up a partnership in DC's SE area I believe over the past summer. From my visit, it seemed like a place where URMs can survive, enjoy their time there, and not have to sue anybody.

Coming from an undergrad that is advertised a similar social justice oriented way, I would guess they have issues as well that might not be revealed on SDN. The fact that they recently started diversifying the diseases Black patients have in their cases is a red flag for me and indicates that there will be a lot more fight to go. This is not comparing it to other institutions since I would not attend an institution that does less than this.

Where are URM's thriving at? This is a question I'd love to have answered by a URM!!
Can't speak for all schools, but Ohio state & UChicago are two schools I know for a fact URMs are thriving at, and its a priority to the school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hopkins is notorious for being URM-unfriendly on all levels which is a light word to say the least. I guess we like to be professional on SND so I'll keep it at that. Racism doesn't have to be documented to exist and fellow URMs obviously know that as facts.

I was looking at MPH programs at Johns Hopkins at this is what I found: https://www.quora.com/Can-anyone-sp...ool-of-Public-Health-from-personal-experience (scroll down). Of course, the Henrietta Lacks story and lack of demonstrated substantial (non-bare minimum) change from that in the health world is a red flag as well.

I visited GWU and it depends on what you define as a URM-friendly schools - which depends on the person most likely. GWU had a fairly diverse student body with an emphasis on collaboration rather than competition. They are definitely trying and say they are committed to social justice. They are doing the work by opening up a partnership in DC's SE area I believe over the past summer. From my visit, it seemed like a place where URMs can survive, enjoy their time there, and not have to sue anybody.

Coming from an undergrad that is advertised a similar social justice oriented way, I would guess they have issues as well that might not be revealed on SDN. The fact that they recently started diversifying the diseases Black patients have in their cases is a red flag for me and indicates that there will be a lot more fight to go. This is not comparing it to other institutions since I would not attend an institution that does less than this.

Where are URM's thriving at? This is a question I'd love to have answered by a URM!!
What are they doing that is anti urm?

However valid your complaints are with JHU, to use the Henrietta Lacks story as one of them is frankly bizarre. That was > 60 years ago. Life was VERY different then.

You are aware that Blacks do have some genetic differences that alter disease outcomes compared to other ethnicities? Like lupus, hypertension and kidney disease in HIV+ patients?

I agree 10000% that the need to do a better job at recruiting URM med students.

Members don't see this ad :)
However valid your complaints are with JHU, to use the Henrietta Lacks story as one of them is frankly bizarre. That was > 60 years ago. Life was VERY different then.

You are aware that Blacks do have some genetic differences that alter disease outcomes compared to other ethnicities? Like lupus, hypertension and kidney disease in HIV+ patients?

That just goes to show that the wrongs of the past have a long lasting effect. (Especially when the public thinks no great effort was made to compensate for the wrong). Plus, we know that change sometimes takes several generations.

Much of the Black community has trust issues with healthcare professionals because of the Tuskegee experiments and that started in what, 1930?

For the disease part, I think he meant Black patients have other diseases besides just the ones you mentioned. We definitely have higher rates of hypertension, lupus, etc., but we also suffer from other diseases as well and they should be presented.

Lol is that what you think?

I think the poster you quoted is speaking to friendliness solely in regard to the perceived recruitment efforts from schools, but OP was asking about friendliness in regard to a supportive environment for URMs, positive experiences on campus and the feeling of equality as a minority. The poster you quoted can't speak to the latter.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the poster you quoted is speaking to friendliness solely in regard to the perceived recruitment efforts from schools, but OP was asking about friendliness in regard to a supportive environment for URMs, positive experiences on campus and the feeling of equality as a minority. The poster you quoted can't speak to the latter.
Yeah, I was about to say. Haven’t heard too many good things about Georgetown in either respectives

Reactions: 1 user