Urgent: Please Post Any Comments about MHS Degree Program at Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

basten0

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has anything to say about the MHS degree program at Hopkins.

Some points of confusion for me:

How come Hopkins is the only ASPH-member public health school to offer this degree?

Is it worth going for an MHS degree (considering how much Hopkins costs) vs. getting an MPH at another school?

How marketable is the degree? How does it compare against an MPH?

Thanks in advance for your comments. I have posted this as urgent because...well.....we all have to make decisions soon. peace.

Members don't see this ad.

I have sought to answer this very question for myself. Look under other postings about JHU, as I've given my opinion there.

I'm going to visit JHU next week and I'll ask them this very question. I specifically want to know if there are jobs that specifically stipulate that you must have an MPH, and if we would still be eligible candidates for those jobs with an MHS.

While some people say an MPH is more 'marketable' and that you'd constantly have to explain what the MHS is, others (especially those within public health circles) say the two degrees are comparable and if anything an MHS means you've done more specialized research (a good thing, right?). People have gone on to do great things with MHS degrees.

Also, I've heard that an MHS from Hopkins (the #1 school) may be more highly regarded than MPHs from other schools.

Like I said, like at some other postings. After I visit JHU I'll post what I find out!

(p.s. which program are you accepted to at Hopkins? I'm accepted to International Health and I'm deciding between MHS at Hopkins and MPH at Columbia)