MPH Hopkins MPH vs Hopkins MAS in Population Health Management?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

localhero

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a practicing family medicine physician who has an interest in population health, so I've been looking for some online part-time programs to do. Naturally, Hopkins' MAS in Population Health Management seems to more directly address that interest than an MPH would.

At the end of the day, I do prioritize that actual content that I want to learn. However, this MAS program is only a few years old (and pop health programs are few and far between overall), leading me to worry about how well it'd be respected/recognized as I move through my career, particularly in comparison to a well-established degree like an MPH.

Or does the Hopkins name carry so much weight that it doesn't necessarily matter what the particular degree is?

This is not to presume that I'd even get into Hopkins. My question is more about whether an MAS degree is "worth it".

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you end up deciding? I am kind of going through the same issue

Ultimately, I decided that if I'm going to be doing coursework while practicing medicine full-time, it should be the curriculum that I'm most interested in/that's most applicable. With my limited time, I don't want to be trudging through too many courses that I can't see myself using in real life. In terms of career trajectory, I believe my experiences and accomplishments will be what truly propel me forward; at that point I figure the difference between particular masters degrees might not matter so much (if nothing else, the Hopkins name will help close the gap).