MPH UNC vs Johns Hopkins (JHU) MPH (networking/career opportunites)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pubhlther

Reaction score
I would do an epidemiology concentration at either one. While there are lots of factors in this decision, I'd like to get folks' perspectives on a few topics:
  • Hopkins students seem to be much more impressive/diverse/experienced than those that I would meet in my UNC classes, potentially providing much richer opportunities for networking (this is based on admitted student facebook groups). Thoughts?
  • Hopkins is clearly the largest and most well-funded public health institution, with so many centers and departments it makes my head spin! But realistically, would this matter in an 11-month program where I wouldn't have that much time to meaningfully engage anyway?
  • Will I regret turning down the Hopkins name? Will it really open more career opportunites than UNC?

Thanks for your input!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would do an epidemiology concentration at either one. While there are lots of factors in this decision, I'd like to get folks' perspectives on a few topics:
  • Hopkins students seem to be much more impressive/diverse/experienced than those that I would meet in my UNC classes, potentially providing much richer opportunities for networking (this is based on admitted student facebook groups). Thoughts?
  • Hopkins is clearly the largest and most well-funded public health institution, with so many centers and departments it makes my head spin! But realistically, would this matter in an 11-month program where I wouldn't have that much time to meaningfully engage anyway?
  • Will I regret turning down the Hopkins name? Will it really open more career opportunites than UNC?

Thanks for your input!!!

Where did you end up going?