UQ-Ochsner MBBS 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2BR02B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! Just wanted to start a thread for anyone applying/accepted into the uq-ochsner, entering in 2013

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
hey waiting to hear back as well. sounds like a really exciting program! my friend is a first year there and loves it

I applied in January, and I'm still waiting to hear back. I was hoping that yesterday would be the big day! Apparently there was a bit of an administrative delay with the admissions letters for some incendiary reason or another

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied in January, and I'm still waiting to hear back. I was hoping that yesterday would be the big day! Apparently there was a bit of an administrative delay with the admissions letters for some incendiary reason or another

I am in the same boat. How often are you checking your email each day? My phone vibrates when I receive emails and I have been compulsively checking it for over a month now. Please let it end this week (positively, of course)! :)

Has anybody heard anything from UQ? Website states they will start sending out offers mid-May but seems like there's no movement yet.

I am in the same boat. How often are you checking your email each day? My phone vibrates when I receive emails and I have been compulsively checking it for over a month now. Please let it end this week (positively, of course)! :)

Haha, I was checking my email more frequently than I'd care to admit on a public forum. I haven't heard anything from them, but I've heard from at least 5 independent sources that the delay is due to an administrative issue with the acceptance letters.

I'm not holding my breath to get an email tomorrow though, it seems like it might be another week before they finalize their letters. But here's to hoping!

You can email UQ directly at [email protected] to inquire about the admissions status. I've had a very good experience with the UQ administration so far, and find them to be very response to my questions.

Has anyone heard anything? Is this like... a test of will?

Mgmt: "Let's shatter their expectations into a million pieces! Mwa hahaha ha hahahahaha"

I got my acceptance letter today, so excited! The more I've learned about this program the more I like it.

[quote="dreisina, post:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I got my acceptance letter today, so excited! The more I've learned about this program the more I like it.
Finally, some movement. I also received my letter today. Application sent to Brisbane 5/1, accepted 6/13...so 6 weeks. This program looks great compared to other international programs. I also heard they worked out the majority of the kinks faced in the previous years.

Congratulations to you both

Last edited:
Congrats to those who have received acceptances!

Last edited:
Just got my letter today, applied in mid April

Last edited:
Congrats!!!!!! That's awesome! When did you apply, if you don't mind my asking.
I applied in the middle of April. The sense I got is that they process all the applications at the same time, regardless of when you sent it in...though I could be wrong on this. They may have done them in large batches, but generally there didn't seem to be a huge advantage to applying super early.

Reactions: 1 user
I was reading this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=881074

There seemed to be a lot of misinformation in there, and a lot of bickering between proponents and critics of the program. Some people were saying that we weren't eligible to practice/apply to residencies in California and NY. Others were saying this wasn't true.

Have any of you heard stories about UQ-Ochsner students not being allowed to practice in the US? Anybody worried?

I got my acceptance email on Friday morning and am absolutely attending the school. And to clear things up I am completely certain that students will be able to practice in New York and California. I went to an opened house where that exact question was directed at the school administrators who assured that this is not an issue. Anyway I also cant wait to meet the rest of the class. I was thinking maybe we could try and put a facebook group together? Also is anyone planning on attending this school currently in the New Orleans/Baton Rouge area?

I got in! I'll be looking for a Facebook group for the other accepted 2013 members

Anyone DEFINITELY going there?? If so, what are your reasons (if I may ask)? I'm leaning towards this and a postbac program 88%/12%. But I really don't want to waste another year and money on a postbac that doesn't guarantee anything. My friend finished Georgetown SMP and still got wait-listed even with stellar grades. Yikes!

I was reading this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=881074

There seemed to be a lot of misinformation in there, and a lot of bickering between proponents and critics of the program. Some people were saying that we weren't eligible to practice/apply to residencies in California and NY. Others were saying this wasn't true.

Have any of you heard stories about UQ-Ochsner students not being allowed to practice in the US? Anybody worried?

It seems highly likely that will UQ-Ochsner get California, and 50 State approval.

For a few of reasons. One, California, which is the toughest state to gain recognition in requires 54 weeks of ACGME approved clinical rotations for programs of this nature, and 72 weeks total. UQ-Ochsner has 80 weeks of clinical rotations, so its meets the 72 week requirement.

Secondly, Ochsner offers ACGME approved clinical rotations in:

Anesthesiology
Diagnostic Radiology
General Surgery

Internal Medicine
OB-GYN
Ophthalmology
Orthopedic Surgery
Pediatrics

Psychiatry

Urology

so between all of those it wont be very difficult to get 54 weeks' worth of ACGME rotations.

And finally, UQ-Ochsner's clinical rotations are operating EXACTLY the same as the program in Brisbane's clinical rotations. And the normal UQ program is approved in all 50 states, making UQ-Ochsner no different from UQ-normal except that half of it is taught in a different country.

Thanks for the response, it's good to finally see a well thought-out reply

I applied last month there as well seeing as how it's a well balanced program and the costs are about on par with out of state.

However after receiving the email about the "very large" number of applicants this year from them, I'm not even sure if it's already full. Anyone have any input on this?
Looks like the first-round of acceptances have already gone out. However, this is the first year they will be filling all 120 spots! Last year, someone got the same email about a high volume of applicants and they applied in October and got an offer (although it's the Ipswich campus). Hope to see you there!

I recently got accepted and am very excited! I was wondering if any of the other acceptees or current students know how you go about financial aid (is it through FASFA or something else) or what living situations while there are like.

I applied June 28, just got accepted for 2013!

I got in to UQ Ochsner last year, but elected instead to do an SMP in the states. It worked out for me, but the people I kept in touch with from the UQ-O Facebook group are all having a good experience there as well. I just felt more comfortable trying one more year at home before packing up my game and moving around the world. For me, I'd do UQ-O only after trying an SMP and failing. I do think, though, that UQ-O is clearly better than the Caribbean.

I got accepted a few weeks ago and I was wondering does anyone know which campus is better? Is it cheaper to live in Ipswich?

From what I understand, both campuses have their pros and cons. Ipswitch is in a more rural/suburban area, it is a newer campus, and it is smaller than the main campus, so smaller class sizes. St. Lucia is within the city, so living expenses tend to cost more there. There is a current closed facebook group for those entering in 2013 where questions are answered pretty quickly, so if you have any other questions, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/456706937682531/

I got accepted a few weeks ago and I was wondering does anyone know which campus is better? Is it cheaper to live in Ipswich?

Out of curiosity, when did you submit your application, and when did you hear from them?

From what I understand, both campuses have their pros and cons. Ipswitch is in a more rural/suburban area, it is a newer campus, and it is smaller than the main campus, so smaller class sizes. St. Lucia is within the city, so living expenses tend to cost more there. There is a current closed facebook group for those entering in 2013 where questions are answered pretty quickly, so if you have any other questions, here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/456706937682531/

I'm a third-year at UQ. There's no rationalization with pros and cons on this one. If you go to the Ipswich campus, get ready for a life of boredom and nothingness. St. Lucia is right next to Brisbane, which is a better bet if you're young and also want a life.

Anyone DEFINITELY going there?? If so, what are your reasons (if I may ask)? I'm leaning towards this and a postbac program 88%/12%. But I really don't want to waste another year and money on a postbac that doesn't guarantee anything. My friend finished Georgetown SMP and still got wait-listed even with stellar grades. Yikes!

That's because no one cares about grades unless you're an applicant at a top-tier school. SoM admissions ride almost entirely on your MCAT, whether people want to believe that or not. So someone can have a stellar SMP GPA, but without a strong MCAT, there are never any guarantees.

Looks like the first-round of acceptances have already gone out. However, this is the first year they will be filling all 120 spots! Last year, someone got the same email about a high volume of applicants and they applied in October and got an offer (although it's the Ipswich campus). Hope to see you there!

The numbers are absurdly intractable quite frankly. UQ doesn't seem to care about diminished personalized teaching insofar as they generate extra money from internationals who are going to leave after two years anyway. I've heard from an administrator that the clinical coaching for first-years is transitioning next year into a 10-student per 1-instructor ratio, which is doubled from the 5:1 ratio that we've had previously.

If there's any lesson that should be taken from freshers entering the program, it's that the independent-learning studying scheme needs to be established as soon as possible, because the first two years of the program itself are actually fairly mediocre in terms of what the school spoon feeds its students. On the other hand, I've heard from those in Louisiana that they are loving Ochsner for the latter two years.

I've also written a brief review of the UQ program if anyone's interested: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=907899

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Glad things have been settled out here about licensing. As JohnSnow said, it will NOT be an issue. It WILL be some bureacracy and paperwork, but that's to be expected. One of the current high level admin projects is to work with the medical board of CA (MBC) to streamline our program - i.e. to have them recognize that everyone coming out of this program will have the same clinical education and thus instead of everyone individually filling out the forms, to just have it be a check mark and done. As you ca imagine doing such a thing is a LOT of red tape and will take a while, but it has been in the works. There was a bit of a delay in that since after the initial approach to the MBC their response was "Your program is fine. No worries. Thanks!" and that was it. So we are going BACK to them to explain that we want a little extra beyond "you are fine" to "yes we recognize your program and you can just check a box instead of filling out ten L5 forms."

I would also like to temper Phloston's most recent critique. He is correct that in many aspects relevant to us, the pre-clinical education at UQ is lacking. This is partly because of deficiencies in the curriculum that are recognized and are actively undergoing revision (anatomy, for example, is currently being completely overhauled by the heads of surgery at the clinical schools; the IFOM exam is being added and coursework will be adjusted to teach for that exam better as an international standard [the exam has been designed from the ground up with the US NBME to be equivalent to the USMLE]) and partly because the bureacracy there is slow moving. That said, the issues described are NOT because of the UQ-Ochsner program specifically since whilst the numbers in the program are growing the TOTAL numbers of the class sizes is not. We are just replacing other internationals.

Overal the university is still ranked quite highly as is the SoM specifically. Ochsner is indeed absolutely top notch and you will be hard pressed to get a better clinical education unless you are in a top-tier (not even mid-tier, IMO, based on conversation with friends in mid-tier SoM's here in the US) US school. IMO, rankings are mostly bull**** anyways. The difference between tertiles may be a reasonable approximation, but differences WITHIN tertiles are mostly meaningless. The reality is that no matter WHAT medical school you attend, most of the onus is on YOU to learn. If you are expecting a SoM to spoon feed you knowledge, you are going to be in serious shock once you get there.

Addiotnally UQ SoM has taken on and expanded on an adjunct tutoring and resource package for the USMLE Step 1, and resources for the USMLE Step 2. This is indeed above and beyond what the average US student can expect (especially the resources) and if you take full advantage of it will not find yourself wanting in that department. The Ochsner Medical Student Organization, which is a nascent student advocacy group officially recognized by both institutions, has as one of its primary goals academic rigor and success for the cohort. As such, the academic resources and opportunities are always improving from our end as well as the SoM.

And lastly, always remember, no matter where you go there will ALWAYS be something to complain about. Nothing and no program is perfect, especially not for everyone. Also, people are much more likely to complain than praise (as a general rule for everything - learn about selection bias early!) So bear in mind that when you hear complaints, they are likely correct, but slightly exaggerated and do not mean that OTHER programs would have complaints as well. They are just of a different nature. For some, the specific nature of complaints could be a deal breaker. That is quite reasonable. But to assume ANY complaints will be a deal breaker is setting yourself up for failure and heartache.

Does anyone know if there is still time to apply to the UQ-Ochsner program for the 2013 intake? Is the class cohort full yet?

Does anyone know if there is still time to apply to the UQ-Ochsner program for the 2013 intake? Is the class cohort full yet?

I do not know for sure if it is full or not, but I doubt it is. It is certainly never to late to try.

I know a girl, who's currently a second-year, who had gotten accepted into UQ-Ochsner the last week of December, just prior to her commencement.

I know a girl, who's currently a second-year, who had gotten accepted into UQ-Ochsner the last week of December, just prior to her commencement.

Hello Phloston,

I have admired your posts regarding UQ-Ochsner as it has allowed me to gain much more insight into the operatings of the school. Because of its partnership with Ochsner, I am almost certain that this will be the school that I attend. I have been accepted to this school as well as SGU, but my hesitation to accept the seat offered by UQ is the uncertainty of such a young program. Although it all sounds great, I do not wish to partake in any unnecessary risks regarding my medical education.

Would you recommend going to UQ-Ochsner or taking the "safer" router and attending SGU instead? Studying in New Orleans is a big deal to me, as it affords me the opportunity to be a bit closer to my parents and it is a much better educational hospital than any of the sites offered by SGU.

The USMLE prep worries me. Is this something that will continue to improve? Some students have complained UQ ignores the test. I will dedicate a lot of time to study for the test, but added support from the curriculum would of course be most preferable.

Thank you for your time!

Ahmad34, it's to my understanding that UQ has, over the past couple of years, significantly augmented its efforts to improve USMLE prep. The only lack of prep at the school is the mere fact that the Australian curriculum de-emphasizes the basic sciences, however UQ offers free USMLE tutorials, as well as book material and access to question banks, to the Ochsner students. From what I've heard from MS3/4 students at Ochsner, they love it over there and are learning a lot. If you ultimately come to UQ, the main challenge you will face will be needing to learn how to pull yourself away from the school's MS1/2 curriculum in order to focus on your USMLE prep. The latter is more important, and focusing on that will confer enough overlap with the SoM's curriculum such that you'll do very well on the USMLE (and better than most of the students not studying for the exam).

As Phloston said, the USMLE prep is actually reasonably robust. No matter what and no matter where you go you will need to study on your own for the Step 1 to a great degree. It is a bit greater at UQ, but by learning what you need for the Step 1 you will simultaneously learn more than you need for the curriculum at UQ. If you budget your time well, attend the tutorials, and start early you will find that you will benefit by primarily studying Step 1 material and augmenting that study with a few UQ and Aus specific things to ensure you do well on exams.

This particular set up seems to have a unique unintended advantage that I have noticed - and one the residents, faculty, and staff at OCS have as well. We as a group tend to be significantly more well versed in the basic sciences than our Aussie counterparts but also very significantly more clinically capable than our American counterparts (working alongside Tulane, LSU, and other visiting students). I find that in general the Americans know a few more really esoteric syndromes and conditions, but honestly not all that much, and pretty much everywhere we go it is commented how much more clinically adept and capable we as a cohort are than our Tulane counterparts. I even had an attending literally be shocked that I was only a 3rd year student because of the clinical acumen I had demonstrated. And I often have comments about other students as well.

UQ does not "ignore" the test, but obviously the curriculum does not teach specifically to it. This is not as huge a detriment as one may think. The biggest issue is that it means our students need to be more self motivated and driven - which I will admit is a bit difficult because of how much free time and fun the Aussies have it is often a difficult temptation. That said, I personally feel that if you need your curriculum to spoon feed you material and demand study of you else you wouldn't be interested or motivated enough to do it yourself means you aren't ready for graduate level education, let alone medical school. That is an attitude and learning style that we all should have grown out of by the time we finish our undergrad studies. And if you haven't, you're gonna have a bad time... no matter where you go to med school.

Personally I would rather have fun being a trailblazer and having something (quite frankly MANY things) unique to talk about on the interview trail than to be pigeon holed into the safety of something like SGU. But I can see the appeal and certainly would not fault someone for going the known "safe" route.

Thank you both very much for your responses. I am now definitely leaning towards UQ-Ochsner because I do feel that the first few graduating classes have a unique opportunity to heavily influence the perception of UQ for the next decade. You're absolutely right about the pigeon-hole stigma that Caribbean grads have to deal with. I imagine most residency coordinators their own concrete idea of a Carribbean grad that will not fluctuate much in the next 5 years.

I do not expect any school to spoon feed the USLME to its students but from talking to my friends that currently attend medical school, there is a lot of emphasis placed on the test from day one. For example the professors always hint to high yield information that shows up on the step and also the test are asked in a format similar to that of the test. Either way, I do plan on emphasizing the test on my own time for the test since it is the most important metric in regards to securing a residency. Thank you again to the both of you for clearing that up.

I understand that Ipswich might be the boring choice among the two campuses, but I actually like the smaller town. My concern is with the curriculum. Are the tests the exact same? Is there a video feed of course being taught in Brisbane or is a different professor teaching the Ipswich campus? Does the library in Ipswich have all the recommended and required text books we need for our courses? I prefer living in smaller boring towns, but not at the expense of a butchered curriculum.

Hey Ya'll. I heard Thea Volpe say during one of the webinars that people were starting to interview for residency spots and there was an individual interviewing at Yale. Just wondering if anyone can provide updates on how people trying to match have been doing so far.

Hey Ya'll. I heard Thea Volpe say during one of the webinars that people were starting to interview for residency spots and there was an individual interviewing at Yale. Just wondering if anyone can provide updates on how people trying to match have been doing so far.

Fourth year American here. Applications and interviews are going well for my class, from what I hear. Many Canadians are successful in getting interviews at a number of reputable places. Lost touch with the Ochsner cohort since third year (when they went back), but I'm sure they're doing well with the process.

The curriculum is not sacrificed at Ipswich. It is, to my understanding, just as robust and has actually much newer and nicer facilities. Pretty much all lectures are podcast as well so it really doesn't make much of a difference - I went to exactly 1 lecture for all of 2nd year. I don't think you would be sacrificing anything that big in terms of curriculum by going to Ippy. The only exception to that would be the 1st year tutorials in USMLE that are led by 2nd year Ochsner students. Those are currently only in St. Lucia, though they do video conference in Ippy and plan on expanding it to there in the future. I think it is a bit of a detriment in that regard, but once again, not a deal breaker. Overall, the curriculum is identical in every way - it has to be.

As for the curriculum in US (and Carib I suppose) schools being more geared towards USMLE as you said and dropping hints at HY material... yes, that is something you won't have directly form the UQ lectures. However weekly tutorials available throughout the entirety of 1st and 2nd year more than make up for the IMHO. Plus, the UQ curriculum is shifting a bit and there is a little but more emphasis built into it and especially with the IFOM exam being incorporated into the curriculum.

As for who is interviewing where... I honestly do not know. Such things tend to be considered private matters and as such you tend not to hear too much except for particularly good news. The class is only 9 strong, so come match day that is all the data we will have. Plus, it is extremely early at this point. The regular match interview season really doesn't start until Nov 1. It is pretty much only early match programs interviewing right now and next week a few of the earliest regular programs will begin interviews.

I should clarify that I did attend as many pathology lectures as I could, both since they were mandatory with a sign in, but also because I actually found them quite useful.

I should clarify that I did attend as many pathology lectures as I could, both since they were mandatory with a sign in, but also because I actually found them quite useful.

I agree that the path pracs were probably the more useful of the UQ block hours. They're one thing UQ does well with.