UQ-Ochsner 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The intended message of your post is that IMGs match more often than D.Os in U.S. This is incorrect, so i'm going to call you out on it. Don't like "newbs" correcting you? Don't post incorrect information.

Looks like you could benefit from viewing this
thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...udents-fare-similarly-in-acgme-match.1044742/
So much for being concise. I shall spell it out.

First, thank you for the link, which not so coincidentally supports what I correctly said wrt DO along with my intention -- that DO grads have a lower (allopathic, NRMP) Match rate (75% in 2013, 79% in 2015) than Ochsner (a low of 89% in 2015) and apparently even some Carib schools. I never disputed that DOs have their own (AOA) match -- note my consistent, distinctive, traditional use of caps to refer to the NRMP data (aka The Match), as opposed to referring to (lowercase) matching to any residency at all. While you may argue that my restrictive use of caps is anachronistic, its use goes towards intent.

That DOs did not NRMP Match as well as Ochsner grads (albeit with its limited sample size) is itself not explained away by the existence of AOA matching since once matched via AOA, DOs are withdrawn from the NRMP Match.* This in itself is interesting.

I made no other claim wrt DO matching than as stated. Indeed, it's well understood in these parts that all else being equal, DOs have better ultimate residency chances than IMGs. Obviously anyone like you who still feels it necessary can elaborate or further clarify. Indeed, if anyone posted showing they misunderstood my post, I would post to correct them as I have you. Because that's my history. However, to assume all that matters in any discussion of match rates is ultimate matching to some/any residency would be myopic.

First, it's unclear whether the Ochsner stat includes those who got a job via the scramble. We've been giving the benefit of the doubt (which could be wrong) that it does not, but reflects NRMP Matching only. So why compare apples and oranges? Second, as I discussed, perceived stigma of (not to mention philosophical issues with) DO is one reason that people do Australian medicine, and so NRMP Matching versus AOA matching is an important distinction to them. Obviously those who don't give a damn how they get to become a practicing clinical doctor in the US would want to jump on the historically argued BETTER odds of a DO grad ultimately gaining a residency than a US allopathic grad. Alas, this too, while also interesting, needn't be the sole focus (intent?) of this discussion.

It's fine if you want to help clarify what's been said, Howlin-Radio. But to come into these threads and to presume knowledge of what others are *intending*, despite what was literally said showing a bit of nuance that does matter to some on this forum, and then feel it's appropriate to "school" those who do have a long track-record here that can easily be read to properly understand likely intent, is rather arrogant. Just stop the characterizations and move on.

* The poster in the 2013 thread who claimed that this is not the case is by and large wrong. The NRMP data is clear that only Active Applicants -- not those who have withdrawn or who have no rank order list -- are included in their Match %. And as per AOA guidelines, AOA tells the NRMP which DO candidates got matched through them so that the NRMP automatically withdraws them or removes their rank order list for any concurrent programs.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
You don't think that's misleading to omit that AOA has their own match? Or that in the very near future AOA won't have their own match and the two residencies will merge? This will further make M.D and D.O less distinguishable. I see your point but your not comparing apples to oranges when your considering if Ochsner's match was 1st choice or the scramble. That's important - hence, why almost all schools in the U.S include that information. I don't think your trying to insult D.O so I don't care about all that mess regarding their equality.

I don't care about schooling you. If you were thorough and simply put in parenthesis (albeit D.O is still matching near 100% when you consider both residency paths) this would've eliminated confusion. Not everybody who comes on SDN is a frequent user, especially in the threads discussing schools.

For current students in the program: If given the option now, would you choose UQ Ochsner over a U.S. DO? Why or why not?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't think that's misleading to omit that AOA has their own match? Or that in the very near future AOA won't have their own match and the two residencies will merge? This will further make M.D and D.O less distinguishable. I see your point but your not comparing apples to oranges when your considering if Ochsner's match was 1st choice or the scramble. That's important - hence, why almost all schools in the U.S include that information. I don't think your trying to insult D.O so I don't care about all that mess regarding their equality.
Damn you're being myopic.

No, not misleading. I just explained how that would be apples and oranges. I explained my intent. The irony of your underlined emphasis is that it only has bearing on (or import for) YOUR singular intent, the one you mistakenly assumed I had, not on the apples-for-apples comparison of Match rates that I was making. I further pointed out how ultimate chances at gaining residency are not the only concern here. Anyone with an intellectual curiosity can see the relevance of comparing DO vs Ochsner Match rates as I did. Or they could always ask, as people do in a conversation.

Just because something is important to you doesn't mean it has to be in every post you write for you to be considered "correct". People are fully capable of evaluating or researching context, and they are expected to do so (which is why newbies are sometimes asked to look in the relevant thread for the answer when they come off the rank asking something that's been answered at length elsewhere). This is also practical necessity, as anyone who's contributed to any forum for a while ought to know.

I don't care about schooling you. If you were thorough and simply put in parenthesis (albeit D.O is still matching near 100% when you consider both residency paths) this would've eliminated confusion. Not everybody who comes on SDN is a frequent user, especially in the threads discussing schools.

Then stop trying to school me, or the response will continue to be in kind. As said, it's fine for people like you to clarify if you think it's necessary, and you've done that, despite no one claiming to be confused. Fine. But that should have been the end of it.

Don't presume what strangers know or don't know, or their intent. Or claim that their factually correct statements are somehow (meta-?) incorrect. Yes, I could have made a qualification that you later made, or I could have made any number of other qualifications. But the lack of qualification does not justify the making of false presumptions about one's intent, or understanding, or character. Your gut reaction, with no curiosity of context, was to accuse. Think about that.

Do you really think that you were contributing to my knowledge base in-between your accusations? You don't think it presumptuous to, say, feel the need to argue that some people aren't frequent visitors here? Really? You with 15 messages couldn't come up with your own counterargument to that? Did you come simply to read a single post in a thread about UQ-Ochsner without planning on doing any background homework? All your understanding of residency matching was going to be based on that single post? No?...Yet *others* are that mindless? And those who post correct statements but don't cover what you have deemed to be important, they's just...intending to mislead, and their correct statements be...incorrect? Or are they simply ign'ant, not knowing that some people don't come around these parts often? Do I really need to keep explaining this to a potential future doctor?

Some people see the world in black-and-white. Such people tend to consider those who see the greys as wrong. I give people the benefit of the doubt, that they have many nuanced interests and motivations; that they are curious by nature; and that they can read a post, understand or figure out the English grammar and the meaning of the statements, see the capital "M" in Match and understand that the bits referenced in quotes come from the NRMP (with a direct link to that source!). But if someone is confused, or has a question after having bothered looking, say, at the source or more pertinent threads, or Google, I give them the benefit of the doubt that they have the ability to ask for clarification without presuming something about me based on that which was not being claimed.

Seriously, reflect on decorum, then move on.

Last edited:
For current students in the program: If given the option now, would you choose UQ Ochsner over a U.S. DO? Why or why not?
Short answer: yes, a thousand times over. For me, US MD >>>> UQ-Ochsner MD >>>> DO >>>> Other IMG MD

Do not use my own personal motivations as true for you, as everyone has different motivations. I have had the unfortunate experience of learning that DOs and MDs are not equals, and the opportunities afforded to them are not the same. I have interest in developing innovative solutions to current problems in medicine, and have a few connects at Google and a few other tech-based medical companies. Before applying to med school, I asked my friends and colleagues if they care about DO or MD, and they were wishy-washy. What I heard was, "For now, we're going to focus on MDs. Maybe we'll pop in DOs later down the line," "Ehh, maybe. It's a harder sell, but I can't say no exactly," and "DOs usually are not the kind of people we are looking for" (not a no per say, but not the most promising). I don't know if I'll make the cut, but I don't want the option to work at - say - Google's Calico even before I have had the chance to find my passions.

People are happy with the truth that DOs have opportunities not available to IMG MDs; what makes them uncomfortable is learning that MDs (IMG or otherwise) have opportunities not available to DOs.

Short answer: yes, a thousand times over. For me, US MD >>>> UQ-Ochsner MD >>>> DO >>>> Other IMG MD

Do not use my own personal motivations as true for you, as everyone has different motivations. I have had the unfortunate experience of learning that DOs and MDs are not equals, and the opportunities afforded to them are not the same. I have interest in developing innovative solutions to current problems in medicine, and have a few connects at Google and a few other tech-based medical companies. Before applying to med school, I asked my friends and colleagues if they care about DO or MD, and they were wishy-washy. What I heard was, "For now, we're going to focus on MDs. Maybe we'll pop in DOs later down the line," "Ehh, maybe. It's a harder sell, but I can't say no exactly," and "DOs usually are not the kind of people we are looking for" (not a no per say, but not the most promising). I don't know if I'll make the cut, but I don't want the option to work at - say - Google's Calico even before I have had the chance to find my passions.

People are happy with the truth that DOs have opportunities not available to IMG MDs; what makes them uncomfortable is learning that MDs (IMG or otherwise) have opportunities not available to DOs.

Any particular reason you put IMG MDs on the very end of that? Is this just based on the match rates?

Any particular reason you put IMG MDs on the very end of that? Is this just based on the match rates?
Again, for me, matching and being able to practice is more important than being able to work at "other" jobs with a medical degree. UQ-Ochsner has a higher match rate than other IMG programs, but other IMG programs have a significantly lower match rate than DO programs.

UQ is apparently recognized in all 50 states. I would take a look at this thread (especially the comments made by Nybgrus): http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...c-program-recognized-by-all-50-states.881074/

Graduates of UQO can currently do residency in 49 states: all except for NY. It may have changed and NY is an option, but to the best of my knowledge the NY application has not been processed yet. It is a purely bureaucratic issue and I have as near absolute zero doubt as possible that UQ-O will indeed eventually be able to do residency in all 50 states. It is merely a question of when. I would say that by the time any current 1st years would care it will be done, but I have been witness to how agonizingly slow these bureaucracies move so I'm forced to say it will be unlikely to still be an issue for more than a couple more years, but no guarantees can be made.

@DownUnderBlunder Thanks for your input! The reason I asked is because I find myself globally oriented, so I aspire to work internationally sometime in the future. However, I am at a crossroad where I have to decide between a state DO (low tuition, higher chance of match) and UQ-O MD (much higher tuition, more difficult to match BUT more opportunities with the degree in the long run, as you mentioned).

@DownUnderBlunder Thanks for your input! The reason I asked is because I find myself globally oriented, so I aspire to work internationally sometime in the future. However, I am at a crossroad where I have to decide between a state DO (low tuition, higher chance of match) and UQ-O MD (much higher tuition, more difficult to match BUT more opportunities with the degree in the long run, as you mentioned).

Same boat. I just spent a day crunching the numbers between UQO, Melbourne, Flinders, and Touro through residency and projected first year income. The 7+ year internship/specialty track for AU doesn't sound very appealing. It would be better to complete a residency in the US (4 years) and become dual certified (1 year supervised). Ochsner should give you a bit of an in when trying to return to AU since you already have some training there. The Au system seems to have advantages though, like giving you more exposure to various areas before choosing, or not choosing, to specialize.

I'm just REALLY worried about being able to pay my loans back. You're looking at USD $386,000 (including compounded interest to the principle) for the 4 years at Ochsner. That's a $4,300/month student loan payment. The aussie dollar plummeted down to .72 but it will most likely rebound, making CoA even more. For me though, I see Ochsner as tailor fit for my aspirations so I can justify the cost in my head -- at least for now.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/us-doctor-moving-to-australia.810914/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/current-uq-ochsner-students-how-is-it.1095500/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...and-here-are-pros-cons-of-the-program.907899/

I'm slightly concerned about the DO qualification as well. I was fishing around UK licensing pathways and it was fairly recent that they allowed DOs equivalency. I'm wondering how many countries still do not allow them to practice. Since I'm internationally inclined too, it's kind of a deal breaker.

Reactions: 1 users
@UncomfortablyNumb Thanks for the links! I have the same opinion about tuition but I am still not sure whether it's safe option, despite the 91% match rate they have on their website. There's going to be a webinar with current students on July 29 and it might help address some of the concerns.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't make a recommendation either way, but just be aware that UQ-O is a bit different than other IMG programs, and its match rate is high because you spend the last 2 years making connections in the US at a health system that wants you to succeed. These are not paid rotations (thought it's likely Ochsner sees some of our tuition money?).

DO is becoming an international degree, but I want to preface that with the fact that it may take significant time to be equal to an MD worldwide. It's not just the right to practice, but also institutionalization of osteopathic medicine, which you can see by how many schools open internationally. It's a slow process that appears to be slowing down rather than speeding up. So, for me, I know UQ's MD is as good as a Visa for international purposes, and opted for this certainty over the uncertainty with the Discover of medicine aka DO.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm just REALLY worried about being able to pay my loans back. You're looking at USD $386,000 (including compounded interest to the principle) for the 4 years at Ochsner. That's a $4,300/month student loan payment. The aussie dollar plummeted down to .72 but it will most likely rebound, making CoA even more. For me though, I see Ochsner as tailor fit for my aspirations so I can justify the cost in my head -- at least for now.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/us-doctor-moving-to-australia.810914/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/current-uq-ochsner-students-how-is-it.1095500/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...and-here-are-pros-cons-of-the-program.907899/

I'm slightly concerned about the DO qualification as well. I was fishing around UK licensing pathways and it was fairly recent that they allowed DOs equivalency. I'm wondering how many countries still do not allow them to practice. Since I'm internationally inclined too, it's kind of a deal breaker.
I'm worried about my loans, too.
but why is tuition $386? Tuition is $70k/year + $20k/year cost of living = $360k...

Wowza. The thread has blown up lately. I have just finished a month in the ICU and am just now finding some time to go over lower priority things, like SDN threads. I won't go through and quote-direct reply to every comment since that would just be way more effort than I am willing to put in, partly because of the tone the thread has taken, but mostly because it would just be too large of an undertaking (save for one comment which is a numbered list of questions I can answer easily, which will follow).

So let me start out first by making it abundantly clear that QLDKing is a troll of the highest caliber. Please feel free to look up his entire comment history, particularly the exchanges between the two of us and Pitman (and Sean80439) as well. We have all caught him out completely fabricating data, using entirely misleading and highly selective data, and having a clear personal bias that permeates everything he writes. He is also quite misogynistic and someone I would be loathe to spend any actual time with. I believe he was at one point suspended from SDN as well (though I admit I am not certain of this and could be wrong). In short, do everyone, particularly yourselves, a favor and ignore that loathsome troll entirely.

Next, I'll touch on some salient questions about Matching. Yes, the NRMP match, not any others since it would not make sense to talk about others as the NRMP would be the only match any UQ grad (whether Ochsner or traditional) would be able to participate in. Someone has already quoted me previously but I'll restate it here for clarity and emphasis: of all the UQ-O grads who did not match quite literally only 2-3 were a surprise. Obviously as the class size grows and I get more far removed from them I will not be able to make such assessments, but so far I have personally known quite literally everyone who applied to the match and I can assure you that those that did not match would have been stupendously lucky to match no matter what program they came from, whether it be Poland or Harvard. I can also tell you that there were at least 5-6 people who did match that surprised me. In other words, more people who I think shouldn't have matched at all did and only 2-3 that I think should have matched didn't.

All of that said, the amount of data on the topic is still small and it is hard to draw any firm conclusions one way or another about it except to say that being an IMG is unquestionably a hindrance to matching. But if you didn't already know that... well, I don't know what to say except you probably shouldn't be here in the first place. There is further consideration that UQ-O specifically is and will continue to be a positively unique IMG program. It has the support of many US backers that no other IMG program does from governors and senators to the former head of the ACGME and current and former members of the ACGME board (the CAO of Ochsner, Dr. Bill Pinsky, sat on the board of the ACGME). As our graduates continue to go out, interview, make good residents, and come to be in a position to make such decisions and influence policy in the future, I think it is only reasonable to assume the IMG stigma associated specifically with UQ-O will fade significantly and rapidly.

As for DO... everywhere but the US they are rightfully considered quacks like naturopaths, homeopaths, chiropractors, etc. In the US they are not quacks, though they still have the tiniest vestiges of their previous quackery based medical practice left over in the form of OMM. If someone is interested in practicing internationally in the slightest, I think it is safe to say that getting a DO is not the way to go. Furthermore, while it is indeed true that DO's will have opportunities that IMG's won't (most notably AOA matches) including some programs that will hands-down prefer a DO over IMG, it is also true that there are programs that will hands-down prefer IMG's over a DO. Which programs and how many is not something that is quantifiable and if anyone says otherwise they are ignorant or misinformed. This boils down to internal politics and preferences that are not only rather opaque but also change over time and with changes in management. Lastly, the AOA/ACGME merger if it goes through* will only serve to benefit IMG's since it will further open up possible GME spots which will more than offset the loss of ACGME spots taken by the increasing number of US medical school grads. I have also commented on this extensively in the past, so please look up those comments for further information including some quantitative breakdowns.

As for paying back loans... that is a real consideration. And given how high the tuition has become it is a very legitimate concern. That said, I'll point out that Tulane med pays essentially the same (it used to be higher, maybe now it isn't) tuition as UQ-O students do. And, so long as you go with US federal loans, we are still eligible for IBR and PSLF which can easily make your loan repayments much more manageable (but is much more favorable for those interested in doing long training programs, like me as I am currently anticipating being a PGY-8 prior to finishing training). YMMV and this is indeed a perfectly valid and reasonable consideration to take in when thinking about UQ-O. At this point I must honestly say that unless you really have aspirations to be practicing medicine internationally a DO program is probably a better option than UQ-O almost entirely because of the costs associated. And even a third tier state school is still probably an overall more attractive option. Lastly, as someone pointed out, the tuition used to be in AUD and we got royally screwed because of the exchange rate fluctuations. It was for that reason that it was changed to USD. Right now the AUD is weak against the dollar, but that is the way it was prior to the first intake and that rapidly changed. Don't forget that a 10 cent swing on an $80k+ loan is very significant. And that the US economy is struggling mightily whilst the Aussie economy is doing vastly better in comparison. I would not let short-term fluctuations blind you to the long-term trajectory here. It may be a reasonable gamble to think you could sneak by in a 4 year window and come out on top by going the route of paying in AUD, but you really wouldn't be that much farther ahead and you can easily be very much farther behind.

As for the actual curriculum and the new MD program: I obviously cannot comment on the MD program itself since that is well after my time. All I can say is a synopsis of what I have said before. The UQ program does (did) teach well, though it lacked in specific topics (notably biochem, pharm, micro). The lectures can be hit or miss and I personally stopped attending them halfway through M1 year. As the DUB noted, the tests and lectures do not align well and there is a large component of "teach yourself" at UQ. Obviously I can't directly compare, but in extensive discussions with friends of mine at various US medical schools, that exists to some degree or another in every school. And there are trade-offs involved as well: those of my friends that did not feel they had a huge amount of "teach yourself medicine" instead felt that they had a huge amount of BS and tedious busy work to do. Overall, I felt that while there are distinct and identifiable shortcomings with UQ and its teaching, that they were merely different rather than overall larger in magnitude than US programs, though my sample size is obviously small and biased. In other words, all programs have their problems and things to whinge about. The question is whether those things are deal breakers for you. Personally I found it to be vastly better for me at UQ as I like having the freedom to teach myself. My best friend (a US grad who matched into a top 5 ophthal program) would often complain and say how much he wished he had my educational experience. The grass is always greener, as they say. But for the person who needs a strong guiding hand, with very clearly laid out expectations every step of the way, who likes being micromanaged and is not a self-starter, UQ will likely be very bad for you.

Now that I am on two weeks of clinic I will have more time to keep up with this thread and happy to answer questions to the best of my ability and with the least amount of bias I can. Please do read through my past comments as these same questions keep coming up over and over and I have probably answered most of them previously. You can also use that to gauge whether you think my responses are worth listening to or not. I have nothing to gain (or lose) by participating in this conversation. My only motivation is thinking about myself when I was first applying to and deciding to attend UQ-O and the kind of information I wish I had back then.

*I say "if" since the reason that it fell through when so close to being inked the first time was precisely because the DO's want to keep that last vestige of quackery - OMM - in order to remain distinct. The ACGME, quite rightly IMO, would not accept OMM as anything more than the pseudoscience and quackery it is. Considering that this is such a truly minor point and the AOA's position on it was nothing more than ego and grandstanding, I am not confident that the merger will happen, at least not any time soon. But overall, I'd say it is more likely to go through eventually than not.

I have some questions about the tuition of UQ-Ochsner and general cost of living for the two years in Australia in the UQ-Ochsner program. I'd greatly appreciate it if anyone would give me some info related to my questions.

1. The 2016 tuition figure for the UQ-Ochsner program is quoted in USD. Has it been always like this that the students would pay the tuition in USD instead of AUD?
2. It appears to me that the tuition figure for 2016 entry class is about 10% more than that for 2015 entry class. In the past, was the annual tuition increase rate also around 10% every year? If that's the case, it will be a major concern for me to think about the program.
3. Could someone give us an estimate on the annual cost of living in St Lucia (where the Ochsner cohort will be in Years 1-2) including rent, food, bus tickets, utilities, etc.? Please estimate based on the lowest standard of living that will only allow normal medical studies without any luxury, i.e., no entertainment, cook my own food, do my own laundry, live in shared apartment, walk to or take bus/subway to go to school, but do not cut back on necessary text books, etc.
4. Do the students in the Ochsner cohort form groups to rent and share apartments together, or does each person find his/her own ways to survive in Australia?
5. It seems that the UQ onshore traditional MD program charges tuition in AUD, and is much cheaper than UQ-Ochsner when converted to USD. Therefore, is UQ traditional MD program more attractive?
6. Does anyone have statistics of the US residency match rate and USMLE results achieved by the UQ onshore traditional MD students? Were they better or worse than the UQ-Ochsner results?
7. Compared to Sydney, how much is St Lucia cheaper? I notice that Univ of Sydney charges tuition in AUD which is significantly cheaper than UQ-Ochsner after converting to USD based on the current exchange rate.

Thanks in advance!

1: As someone else said, no not always. First 2 years were AUD. But the exchange rate really screwed us.

2: The last time I looked over the numbers (prior to the MD program, back when I was President of OMSA and working on such things) the actual rate of tuition increase year-on-year was less than the average rate of tuition increase in US programs. That may have changed, but unless it did so quite drastically, it would merely end up being on par with US programs. That said, the absolute number is what is most important and that is indeed quite high and something to seriously consider. See my comment just before this reply and my previous comments for my further thoughts on this topic.

3: The weekly cost of living (since rent is paid weekly in Aus) breaks down to roughly this: $200-400 for rent (depending on share housing or not), $30-80 for utilities, $50-100 for groceries, $50-100 for incidentals and then add in whatever other entertainment, travel, and other stuff. So call it $500 per week as a good estimate of expense to live better than a hobo but not in opulence. Which comes out to around $26k per year, which is pretty much what you get for your cost of living with loans (you get a few thousand more than that). You will not have to spend any money on textbooks unless you really want to. I made it through all of med school and spent a total of around $250 on books which were all review books for the step in addition to what you are given. The Ochsner Medical Student Association has a Brisbane living guide that is updated yearly and has all of this information in much more detail. You should be able to request it from MEP or by emailing OMSA directly.

4: Yes, there are plenty of people who group together. There is typically a yearly facebook group and people do get together to split the cost of living. In fact that is the norm rather than the exception.

5: I am not sure if you are referring to the onshore MD program for domestic or international students. Either way, the reason is merely because of the fluctuation in exchange rates and it can easily fluctuate the other way very rapidly and make the onshore program much less attractive. If you find cost to be a significant factor in your decision making then obviously that would make it more attractive for you. However in terms of getting a residency in the states, doing UQ-O is undoubtedly better and, as I said, a simple (and likely to happen) fluctuation in exchange rate can easily nullify the benefit of cost and leave you with no recourse except to pay a vastly higher tuition.

6: There is no data for any matches in the MD program since there have been none yet graduated to match. It is also not particularly informative to compare onshore to UQ-O match rates since they are completely differently selected populations (in other words, a huge selection bias going both ways). UQ traditional students do match in the US but they do so in incredibly small numbers compared to the total class size and, as I said, are highly selected. Overall, as I have argued before and you can read through my history, if you want to match in the US you should do the UQ-O program. If not then you should do a US DO program or any US MD program and in nearly all instances the UQ traditional program should be your last choice. If you are not so interested in doing residency in the US then the UQ traditional program is a great option to consider.

7: This I cannot comment on except to say that Australia has only 5 major cities and all 5 of them are consistently in the top 10 most expensive cities in the world, blowing even Manhattan NYC out of the water and only coming in behind places like Paris and Tokyo. So from my perspective you are trying to see if it would make more sense to buy a Rolex or a Patek Phillippe in order to be cost conscious.

If someone is interested in practicing internationally in the slightest, I think it is safe to say that getting a DO is not the way to go.

At this point I must honestly say that unless you really have aspirations to be practicing medicine internationally a DO program is probably a better option than UQ-O almost entirely because of the costs associated.

@nybgrus Thanks a lot for the insightful information. I really benefited from reading your post but I found the above quotes to be little confusing. I would appreciate it if you could clarify the degree type/cost relationship with international work a bit more.

Thanks!

@nybgrus Thanks a lot for the insightful information. I really benefited from reading your post but I found the above quotes to be little confusing. I would appreciate it if you could clarify the degree type/cost relationship with international work a bit more.

Thanks!

What I mean is that the DO degree is a quack degree in just about every country except the US. So if you get a DO and what to practice internationally you will run into some hurdles, though I really can't comment on how big those hurdles will be.

So if you are actually interested in practicing internationally then I would argue that US MD is better than or equal to UQ MD which are both much better than a US DO. But if you are not interested in practicing internationally and are pretty sure you will stay in the US for your career, then getting a DO is better than UQ MD because it is cheaper and you will likely have a bit of an easier time overall matching since you will have access to AOA residencies in addition to ACGME ones.

Hope that clarifies things.

I'm worried about my loans, too.
but why is tuition $386? Tuition is $70k/year + $20k/year cost of living = $360k...

Honestly, my quoted price is really the minimum as I didn't add in the required health insurance and the exchange rate really will bounce back up. Pull up XE and look at the last 10 years.

Anyway, my quick calcs go as followed, all in USD using today's exchange rate, which will undoubtedly change out of our favor. I round bit here and there:

The first year is:
tuition: $64,240
living expenses: $17,582
1 time expense: $3,725
total: $85,600

Year 2,3,4
Tuition: $64,240
Living: $17,580
Total: $81,820

You can calculate accrued interest differently, while I'm no math major, I decided to do it the easiest way to me. Since I wanted to know what the total would be for four years at 6%, I treated each year as their own individual loan and added them together. I know I will not be able to make payments to the interest, so it will all be added to the principle and compounded annually. In reality, it will be compounded monthly, thus increasing the total amount. I didn't feel like doing that math today :)

After 4 years:
Year 1: $108,753
Year 2: $97,912
Year 3: $92,224
Year 4: $86,866
Total: $385,755

On a standard repayment plan, you're looking at $4,282/month with $128,166 paid in interest.
If you start paying back during US residency, making $50k/year, you're looking at a $637/month payment.

Projecting past residency is a bit difficult and most likely fruitless.

In case you're thinking you will try to make monthly payments on the interest, this is what you're looking at.

Year 1: $5,279
Year 2: $10,326
Year 3: $15,372
Year 4: $20,419
Total: $51,396 or $12,850/year

Again, this is the low end. There is a possibility of working part time (20 hrs during school 40 hrs breaks) on the student visa and Australia has a very high minimum wage. It was ~$17 the last time I checked.

UQ-Ochsner has no evidence of being any different from any other IMG M.D program. The ridiculous sample size they have to offer reveals no significance to its standing among other IMG schools.

Damn you're being myopic.

No, not misleading. I just explained how that would be apples and oranges. I explained my intent. The irony of your underlined emphasis is that it only has bearing on (or import for) YOUR singular intent, the one you mistakenly assumed I had, not on the apples-for-apples comparison of Match rates that I was making. I further pointed out how ultimate chances at gaining residency are not the only concern here. Anyone with an intellectual curiosity can see the relevance of comparing DO vs Ochsner Match rates as I did. Or they could always ask, as people do in a conversation.

Just because something is important to you doesn't mean it has to be in every post you write for you to be considered "correct". People are fully capable of evaluating or researching context, and they are expected to do so (which is why newbies are sometimes asked to look in the relevant thread for the answer when they come off the rank asking something that's been answered at length elsewhere). This is also practical necessity, as anyone who's contributed to any forum for a while ought to know.

Then stop trying to school me, or the response will continue to be in kind. As said, it's fine for people like you to clarify if you think it's necessary, and you've done that, despite no one claiming to be confused. Fine. But that should have been the end of it.

Don't presume what strangers know or don't know, or their intent. Or claim that their factually correct statements are somehow (meta-?) incorrect. Yes, I could have made a qualification that you later made, or I could have made any number of other qualifications. But the lack of qualification does not justify the making of false presumptions about one's intent, or understanding, or character. Your gut reaction, with no curiosity of context, was to accuse. Think about that.

Do you really think that you were contributing to my knowledge base in-between your accusations? You don't think it presumptuous to, say, feel the need to argue that some people aren't frequent visitors here? Really? You with 15 messages couldn't come up with your own counterargument to that? Did you come simply to read a single post in a thread about UQ-Ochsner without planning on doing any background homework? All your understanding of residency matching was going to be based on that single post? No?...Yet *others* are that mindless? And those who post correct statements but don't cover what you have deemed to be important, they's just...intending to mislead, and their correct statements be...incorrect? Or are they simply ign'ant, not knowing that some people don't come around these parts often? Do I really need to keep explaining this to a potential future doctor?

Some people see the world in black-and-white. Such people tend to consider those who see the greys as wrong. I give people the benefit of the doubt, that they have many nuanced interests and motivations; that they are curious by nature; and that they can read a post, understand or figure out the English grammar and the meaning of the statements, see the capital "M" in Match and understand that the bits referenced in quotes come from the NRMP (with a direct link to that source!). But if someone is confused, or has a question after having bothered looking, say, at the source or more pertinent threads, or Google, I give them the benefit of the doubt that they have the ability to ask for clarification without presuming something about me based on that which was not being claimed.

Seriously, reflect on decorum, then move on.

I'm being dense? Your using data that is irrelevant to the class of 2020. M.Ds and D.Os will participate in the same residency match by the time this class gets out of medical school. If you want to make a valid argument, don't use data that won't correspond to the class your trying to make a point for.

Your only move left is to address that there is no telling how D.Os will perform when their residencies merge with M.Ds.

I'm not wasting my time on your "black-and-white" argument that is a rant without logic. I just posted life-experience as a potential reason to checkout the Ochsner program.

Last edited:
What I mean is that the DO degree is a quack degree in just about every country except the US. So if you get a DO and what to practice internationally you will run into some hurdles, though I really can't comment on how big those hurdles will be.

So if you are actually interested in practicing internationally then I would argue that US MD is better than or equal to UQ MD which are both much better than a US DO. But if you are not interested in practicing internationally and are pretty sure you will stay in the US for your career, then getting a DO is better than UQ MD because it is cheaper and you will likely have a bit of an easier time overall matching since you will have access to AOA residencies in addition to ACGME ones.

Because by 2020 M.D and D.O residencies will merge in the U.S, the latter part of that statement doesn't hold true. The rest I agree with.

I see. Thank you for the clarification!

I'm being dense? Your using data that is irrelevant to the class of 2020. M.Ds and D.Os will participate in the same residency match by the time this class gets out of medical school. If you want to make a valid argument, don't use data that won't correspond to the class your trying to make a point for.

Your only move left is to address that there is no telling how D.Os will perform when their residencies merge with M.Ds.
I said myopic, not dense, and you keep demonstrating it. Even if it were relevant to my point, I certainly wouldn't be presenting data that doesn't exist yet, but that's your call if you want to give it a crack.

Meanwhile, you insist it's ok to impugn strangers' motives because they're not the same as yours, while conceding that to you, our discussion is simply a bunch of chess moves (my "only move left"? Seriously? How old are you?) in some ego game. It's about decorum.

Good luck with medicine, mate.

UQ-Ochsner has no evidence of being any different from any other IMG M.D program. The ridiculous sample size they have to offer reveals no significance to its standing among other IMG schools.
How do you end up writing "Ochsner" and "no evidence" in the same sentence? The very fact that it has the backing of one of the largest health systems (and NOT coincidentally, many people match at that very place) makes your entire statement a joke.

I have some questions about the MD/PhD path in the UQ-Ochsner program. I'd appreciate any info / estimate / opinion you may have:

1. Has there been anyone in the UQ-Ochsner cohort who studies for MD/PhD?
2. How realistic is it for one to study in the MD/PhD program while meeting all the requirements and doing clinic rotations in Ochsner away from UQ campus in Australia?
3. Is there any scholarship available for the PhD part of the studies? How will the tuition be different during the years working on the PhD project?
4. How will the PhD work impact the residency match in the US?
5. Does UQ encourage or discourage the UQ-Ochsner students to do MD/PhD?

Thanks!

1: As someone else said, no not always. First 2 years were AUD. But the exchange rate really screwed us.

2: The last time I looked over the numbers (prior to the MD program, back when I was President of OMSA and working on such things) the actual rate of tuition increase year-on-year was less than the average rate of tuition increase in US programs. That may have changed, but unless it did so quite drastically, it would merely end up being on par with US programs. That said, the absolute number is what is most important and that is indeed quite high and something to seriously consider. See my comment just before this reply and my previous comments for my further thoughts on this topic.

3: The weekly cost of living (since rent is paid weekly in Aus) breaks down to roughly this: $200-400 for rent (depending on share housing or not), $30-80 for utilities, $50-100 for groceries, $50-100 for incidentals and then add in whatever other entertainment, travel, and other stuff. So call it $500 per week as a good estimate of expense to live better than a hobo but not in opulence. Which comes out to around $26k per year, which is pretty much what you get for your cost of living with loans (you get a few thousand more than that). You will not have to spend any money on textbooks unless you really want to. I made it through all of med school and spent a total of around $250 on books which were all review books for the step in addition to what you are given. The Ochsner Medical Student Association has a Brisbane living guide that is updated yearly and has all of this information in much more detail. You should be able to request it from MEP or by emailing OMSA directly.

4: Yes, there are plenty of people who group together. There is typically a yearly facebook group and people do get together to split the cost of living. In fact that is the norm rather than the exception.

5: I am not sure if you are referring to the onshore MD program for domestic or international students. Either way, the reason is merely because of the fluctuation in exchange rates and it can easily fluctuate the other way very rapidly and make the onshore program much less attractive. If you find cost to be a significant factor in your decision making then obviously that would make it more attractive for you. However in terms of getting a residency in the states, doing UQ-O is undoubtedly better and, as I said, a simple (and likely to happen) fluctuation in exchange rate can easily nullify the benefit of cost and leave you with no recourse except to pay a vastly higher tuition.

6: There is no data for any matches in the MD program since there have been none yet graduated to match. It is also not particularly informative to compare onshore to UQ-O match rates since they are completely differently selected populations (in other words, a huge selection bias going both ways). UQ traditional students do match in the US but they do so in incredibly small numbers compared to the total class size and, as I said, are highly selected. Overall, as I have argued before and you can read through my history, if you want to match in the US you should do the UQ-O program. If not then you should do a US DO program or any US MD program and in nearly all instances the UQ traditional program should be your last choice. If you are not so interested in doing residency in the US then the UQ traditional program is a great option to consider.

7: This I cannot comment on except to say that Australia has only 5 major cities and all 5 of them are consistently in the top 10 most expensive cities in the world, blowing even Manhattan NYC out of the water and only coming in behind places like Paris and Tokyo. So from my perspective you are trying to see if it would make more sense to buy a Rolex or a Patek Phillippe in order to be cost conscious.
Thanks a lot! Your answers are very helpful!

Would you choose UQO over a US DO school that is not yet accredited and is not eligible for federal loans in the first 2 years? In other words, is UQO with its risks better than owing about $150k of private loans at the end? Why or why not?
what school is that lol? Personally, I would not go to any school that isnt accredited, not to mention not eligible for federal loans

I have some questions about the MD/PhD path in the UQ-Ochsner program. I'd appreciate any info / estimate / opinion you may have:

1. Has there been anyone in the UQ-Ochsner cohort who studies for MD/PhD?
2. How realistic is it for one to study in the MD/PhD program while meeting all the requirements and doing clinic rotations in Ochsner away from UQ campus in Australia?
3. Is there any scholarship available for the PhD part of the studies? How will the tuition be different during the years working on the PhD project?
4. How will the PhD work impact the residency match in the US?
5. Does UQ encourage or discourage the UQ-Ochsner students to do MD/PhD?

Thanks!

Im just speculating, but I dont think they would encourage you to do a PhD unless you already have extensive (published) research

How do you end up writing "Ochsner" and "no evidence" in the same sentence? The very fact that it has the backing of one of the largest health systems (and NOT coincidentally, many people match at that very place) makes your entire statement a joke.

There is not enough evidence to suggest Ochsner is significantly better than any other IMG program. Ochsner is still relatively new, on the scale of things, and it shows in that the only match data we have is for small class sizes. You are extrapolating if you think just because Ochsner is associated with Queensland that they are one in the same.

The first year is:
tuition: $64,240
living expenses: $17,582
1 time expense: $3,725
total: $85,600

Year 2,3,4
Tuition: $64,240
Living: $17,580
Total: $81,820
One may also want to factor in the possible tuition increase for years 2,3,4. The tuition increase from 2015 to 2016 was about 10%. Who knows what the future rate of increase will be.

There is not enough evidence to suggest Ochsner is significantly better than any other IMG program. Ochsner is still relatively new, on the scale of things, and it shows in that the only match data we have is for small class sizes. You are extrapolating if you think just because Ochsner is associated with Queensland that they are one in the same.
Now it's "not enough evidence," which I'm fine with.

Still, I think your logic is a bit questionable and I'll give you an example why. There's three new med schools in the US that opened this year. There is not enough evidence to suggest they are better than the Caribbean. Ergo, you would be extrapolating if you are thinking they are better choices than established IMG programs.

It's called UQ-Ochsner, and that is the in the acceptance letter. It's not called UQ. No one is saying it is one in the same, you just wish we were.

Now it's "not enough evidence," which I'm fine with.

Still, I think your logic is a bit questionable and I'll give you an example why. There's three new med schools in the US that opened this year. There is not enough evidence to suggest they are better than the Caribbean. Ergo, you would be extrapolating if you are thinking they are better choices than established IMG programs.

It's called UQ-Ochsner, and that is the in the acceptance letter. It's not called UQ. No one is saying it is one in the same, you just wish we were.

I get your point but I don't think you can use that analogy. Any new med schools that opened up in the U.S. are LCME accredited in the U.S or will be. This means that any graduate from any of those new schools is eligible for the same ACGME residency eligibility as any other U.S. grad. Only U.S. MD schools can be LCME accredited. UQ-O would be ECFMG accredited like any other IMG program i.e. carib.

Last edited:
One may also want to factor in the possible tuition increase for years 2,3,4. The tuition increase from 2015 to 2016 was about 10%. Who knows what the future rate of increase will be.

Right! I had forgotten about that until after I posted. It's about $2k each year that they add if they're increasing based on previous rates. So another $12k + interest on my quick figure.

I'll have to go back and calculate EVERYTHING when I get the time. It's clearly just over the $400k mark.

Did anyone find today's webinar helpful?

I get your point but I don't think you can use that analogy. Any new med schools that opened up in the U.S. are LCME accredited in the U.S or will be. This means that any graduate from any of those new schools is eligible for the same ACGME residency eligibility as any other U.S. grad. Only U.S. MD schools can be LCME accredited. UQ-O would be ECFMG accredited like any other IMG program i.e. carib.
You're proving my point: saying "there's not enough graduation data cry cry" is not a valid argument, as there are other significant factors one can consider.

Congrats! They just received my application yesterday. How long did it take you guys to hear if you got an interview?

An interview is automatic. You'll hear from them within 24 hours to set up a date/time. I know people who are flying into New Orleans to interview because Skype is so awkward. I completely agree. If I had to do it again, I would definitely fly back.

Is it possible to receive an interview invite with an mcat below the minimum requirement?
Unfortunately, no. That is the one thing the Admissions Committee is adamant about. If you have the GPA and MCAT, you won't have a problem (compare to US schools where you need just a little more, like volunteering and the like).

Is it possible to receive an interview invite with an mcat below the minimum requirement?
if you have lower stats, it is better to apply very early in the process so for 2017 intake apply in decemeber and retake the MCAT in the meantime. you can try this year however its getting late in the process. if you have >3.5 gpa or MS degree in science its a worth a shot for this year. there is no fee and its a pretty easy application to fill.

An interview is automatic. You'll hear from them within 24 hours to set up a date/time. I know people who are flying into New Orleans to interview because Skype is so awkward. I completely agree. If I had to do it again, I would definitely fly back.

I actually received the interview invite only minutes after posting my question. Unfortunately I don't have time to fly to New Orleans because of work, so I'll have to do Skype. I don't think it will be an issue though. They did say something in the email along the lines that there wouldn't be preference given to a particular interview type (Skype vs in person). I'm a little bummed though that the next available interview date for Skype isn't until September 24th. Seems like quite a ways away with rolling admissions and February not too far away

Received acceptance letter yesterday! Congrats to all accepted and best of all luck to all waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
UQ traditional was full long time ago, but the UQ-Ochsner is still not. Does anyone know how many more spaces are still available in UQ-Ochsner? Does it mean they may have trouble to recruit enough students for UQ-Ochsner?

UQ traditional was full long time ago, but the UQ-Ochsner is still not. Does anyone know how many more spaces are still available in UQ-Ochsner? Does it mean they may have trouble to recruit enough students for UQ-Ochsner?

probably about 40 or so. it depends how much they want to take this year, usually around 120ish

Does it mean they may have trouble to recruit enough students for UQ-Ochsner? No because people apply to many other places and they pick their best option. uq-ochsner sends out more acceptances letters than the number spots available because lots of people dont follow through with the deposit and etc. people have ~40 days or so to pay the deposit once they receive their acceptance letter hence it could be already full by the end of next month, august.

Message me if you're planning on going and are from the Baltimore/DC/Philly area