UQ-Ochsner 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Public transport is fine. Most buses and trains have stops at major shopping areas. Toowong is a really popular spot to live. You can catch the bus to campus from there, and there is shopping all right there. Same with Indooroopilly and Taringa (I think less shopping in Taringa, but it's one train stop away from Toowong). St Lucia is popular because it's near campus so people can walk to class. Everything in the metro area is within 30-40 minutes from each other.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks.
all i care about is convenience: that i won't need a car, and the closer the school is to my dorm/apartment, the better :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Over the next couple of years there will be more AMG’s entering the residency match. That combined with the DO merger will make it harder for IMG’s to get residency spots. The reputation of the UQ-Ochsner program will hopefully continue to improve over the next couple of years and expand in matching to new residency programs. Which one of these changes do you think will have the bigger impact? If I start at UQ-Ochsner this February (2016), do you think matching for our class will be easier, harder, or the same as previous UQ-Ochsner classes (assuming average Step scores are similar)? I have been very impressed with the matches so far for UQ-Ochsner students, and I am hoping things will continue the way they are, or maybe even improve. Thanks!

Over the next couple of years there will be more AMG’s entering the residency match. That combined with the DO merger will make it harder for IMG’s to get residency spots. The reputation of the UQ-Ochsner program will hopefully continue to improve over the next couple of years and expand in matching to new residency programs. Which one of these changes do you think will have the bigger impact? If I start at UQ-Ochsner this February (2016), do you think matching for our class will be easier, harder, or the same as previous UQ-Ochsner classes (assuming average Step scores are similar)? I have been very impressed with the matches so far for UQ-Ochsner students, and I am hoping things will continue the way they are, or maybe even improve. Thanks!

I would suggest to concentrate on things you can control like your CV (resume) and your USMLE step I and II scores. Also it would be good to research which programs are open to IMG students.

I would suggest to concentrate on things you can control like your CV (resume) and your USMLE step I and II scores. Also it would be good to research which programs are open to IMG students.
I agree 100%. I was just curious about what people thought. More of a discussion than looking for a right answer. No one knows exactly what the situation will be like in 4 years.

You'll have access to US federal student loans and VA educational benefits, if you qualify for that. The bigger concern is how you are going to pay it back after.

Which types of federal loans can UQ-Ochsner students receive? I believe subsidized Stafford loans are only available to undergraduates, so does that mean only unsubsidized and PLUS loans are available?

Yes. Same thing you would get at any med school in the US.

Just to be sure, these loans charge interest while you're still in school? Also, the Dept. of Education website says the annual limit for these loans is only ~$20k... is that true?

Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans are limited to $20,500 per year for graduate and professional students. The interest rate changes but is locked over the life of the loans unless you consolidate/refinance. The difference between the Unsubsidized Loans ($20,500) and the Cost of Attendance is usually covered by Grad PLUS Loans, which are at a slightly higher interest rate than the Unsubsidized, and you may need an endorser/cosigner if you do not have decent credit history. The current interest rates for 2014-2015 school year are 6.21% for the Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loans and 7.21% for Direct PLUS loans.

For example. Let's say Cost of Attendance is 70,500 per year at State U. (this includes tuition, housing, books, transportation, utilities, miscellaneous costs, university fees, etc). This is just for demonstration purposes. Barring any scholarships, you're looking at $20,500 via Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan at 6.21%, and the remaining $50,000 via Grad PLUS loans at 7.21%. The rates may change slightly from one year to the next, and you're also charged loan origination fees.

A lot of questions can be answered by looking at the US Dept of Education website here: https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action. Hope this helps!

And yes, interest accrues from the date the loan is disbursed to the university.

Hey, I'm a current UQ student. Everyone's talking about cost. First, yes, you can get government loans, but they're like 8%. if possible, pay a different way! Everyone wants to be independent, but if your parents have a house to re-mortgage or something like that, it's a WAY lower interest way to borrow. (I'm on gov't loans, but I'm sad I didn't stick my tail between my legs and try to borrow a different way).

Second, next year the AUD dollar is expected to drop, which is good for us, but not something you can bank on as a decision point, although it does feel good feeling like you're getting a 25% discount on everything.

Here's my main point though: I was just like a lot of you a few years ago. I really wanted to go to med school, but things didn't work out for me in the US (31 MCAT, but I turned in my applications really really late and my mid-3s GPA was also a hinderance). TBH I have zero regrets about coming to UQ, but that doesn't mean that you won't. I think the most important thing before you decide to come here is to consider for yourself why you've really made med school such a top priority. I don't mean to be paternalistic here, but it's so easy to get caught up in the "med school or bust" mentality, and easy to forget that you don't have to do med. It's your life. What do you like to do? What do you love? Don't do it for the status, or for some optimization of doing good for the world while also making a decent income. There are better ways to optimize it. Also, don't think that your study habits will suddenly change when you start med. If you don't like studying, it only gets harder. It is possible to fail here. Don't think that your personality is going to carry you through med school either just because everyone tells you you'd be a "great doctor and we need more doctors like you in the world"; plenty of people with great personalities struggle with med school.

There will absolutely be a bit of a stigma being an IMG. However, do not believe all those statistics about IMG residency matching: that includes all the IMGs who are not american citizens. The fact that you are an American and spend 2 years doing school in the US makes a HUGE difference. But there are still places that won't accept you because you are from an international school. You will still have to field back-handed questions about why you went to school in Australia.

As I've become a more confident person over the last few years of med school, those questions don't phase me at all anymore. It is such a privilege to practice medicine and study this stuff. When you compare yourself to US students, you are comparing yourself to such a specific, elite, and privileged group of people. The truth is that UQ's Australian med students are the cream of the crop from this country, and extremely bright, so if status as an end in itself is important to you, you won't be disappointed. Everyone in brisbane is impressed if you go to UQ med. But my real point is that once you start studying med and working with patients, that stuff starts to feel less important. It's such a cliche, but after spending some time abroad, it's really loosened up my American blinders in the sense that now what my hometown neighbor gossips about doesn't phase me in the slightest. I am here because I want to be here.

Everything in life is a challenge, being an IMG is only one of those, and it's worth it IF being a doctor is very important to you. And you will succeed. But if you have other interests, and you just dragged yourself through pre-med because you felt like it was the right thing to do, then don't drag yourself to the other side of the world and through med school as well. Instead, channel the confidence you are trying to build to start med school into pursuing your real dream. I know that sounds corny, but there is almost nothing for which I feel a stronger conviction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Not corny at all. People have all sorts of practical and romantic reasons for making their decisions, and it does others good to be reminded that in the end it is only their own informed values/intentions/interests that matter. The worst sort of advice is from those proselytising "Go to Australia" or "Don't go to Australia", with the presumption that their own values are what matter (e.g., "America is supreme (for med)", "maximising chances at residency is paramount", "Oz is 'better' than DO/Caribbean", "stigma by some (if any) matters", "tuition doesn't (does) matter in the end"...All such assertions rely on the common misconception that 'is' determines -- or shoulder determine -- 'ought').

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not convinced Mal understands his own arguments. So long as you use the words "paternalism", "autonomy", "uncertainty", and "informed" in the same paragraph, you pass (does he still highlight the keywords in your essays?)

Last edited:
hey, if later one decided not to attend, would they refund the deposit?

they charge $1000 and give you back 2000 but total refund of the health insurance.

Reactions: 1 user
"2. How will your experience in New Orleans enhance your educational goals?"
^
is this question asking specifically about the CLINICAL ROTATIONS in New Orleans, not the UQ-O program in general?

Question: do international students in UQ-O program study the same curriculum and/or be in the same class with Australian domestic students at UQ regular program?

Yes everyone is intermixed the first two years. In my CBL I have 2 Canadians, 1 NZ, 4 ochsner (1 of which is UK), and 3 Australians.

Did anyone who applied this year or in previous years have to send in their high school transcript to MedEdPath? They asked me to send that in before they would consider my application complete, but I thought that was a little odd since I thought graduate schools typically didn't look at high school grades. I'm wondering if it's because I received advanced standing credit at my undergrad university through IB (similar to AP) classes that I took in high school

Did anyone who applied this year or in previous years have to send in their high school transcript to MedEdPath? They asked me to send that in before they would consider my application complete, but I thought that was a little odd since I thought graduate schools typically didn't look at high school grades. I'm wondering if it's because I received advanced standing credit at my undergrad university through IB (similar to AP) classes that I took in high school

Its the last reason, yours transcript says credit awarded from some IB program. It is just for good record keeping. If your degree is a science one then you would have taken higher science courses so doesn't matter that much. However if your degree isn't science related then they may look at it more but if you did well on the MCAT then it becomes irrelevant.

Its the last reason, yours transcript says credit awarded from some IB program. It is just for good record keeping. If your degree is a science one then you would have taken higher science courses so doesn't matter that much. However if your degree isn't science related then they may look at it more but if you did well on the MCAT then it becomes irrelevant.

I majored in physiology in undergrad and scored quite well on the MCAT but for some reason, MEP is still asking for my high school transcript. I'm just wondering if anyone else had to do that too.

Last edited:
Any tips for an upcoming interview? Thanks in advance!

I am an alumni of the program. I graduated in November 2014 and matched into internal medicine at Ochsner. Anyone who has questions about the program, living in Australia, how to go about the curriculum and the actual classes, dealing with being an IMG and so forth I'm happy to answer them.

Reactions: 4 users
Question: do international students in UQ-O program study the same curriculum and/or be in the same class with Australian domestic students at UQ regular program?

Been answered but yes. My PBLs had Aussies, Canadians, a Russian and some Singaporeans. You are still a UQ student, all through medical school and you are part of the class. You take the same exams, have the same lecturers, everything. The only exception is in fourth year when you shouldn't be taking the 4th year OSCEs (simulated clinical examinations) because you've already taken step 2 CS. You will have OSCEs years 1 and 2 and as part of your clinical rotations but the big ones, the ones that you have to pass to graduate, you shouldn't take with the rest of the class because Step 2 CS is considered a valid substitute and you have to take CS anyway. Exams at Ochsner are timed to be at sort-of-the-same-time as the ones in Brisbane, hence why they're all given at like 5PM. I think they print them here now but we got our exams printed on A4 paper and shipped from Australia. MCQs were done on A4 bubble sheets and couriered back to Brisbane; I'm pretty sure the essay exams are as well but that might be different now.

thanks.
all i care about is convenience: that i won't need a car, and the closer the school is to my dorm/apartment, the better :D
Sorry to keep double and triple posting, but Brisbane is also VERY bicycle friendly. A bicycle is a viable means of getting around and doing your day to day shopping and existing in the city. You can go basically anywhere by bike that you feel. Plenty of dedicated bike paths and the drivers know how to deal with cyclists so it's much safer to road cycle than it is Stateside. If you're into biking as a fitness activity there are plenty of inclines and a couple of mountain-things you can go up.

You can take your bike on the CityCat river ferries, but you cannot take them on the city buses. You can take them on trains except during rush hour.

Also, with regards to housing, avoid places like the Nest or any big apartment complex that caters specifically to students. They're expensive and sometimes far away. Find a real estate agent to get you a furnished place. Make friends with your future classmates and get a house; it's actually easier if you have a small group, we found a furnished 5BR/3ba house right next to the University. You can also do six month leases in case you decide you hate each other two months in and can't stand the thought of living with them on a whole year long lease.

I used these guys to find my first couple of places in St. Lucia and they did fine by me.
http://www.elitestlucia.com/

Anytime. I know how it is having to set up shop about as far away it is physically possible to be from your friends/family/support network so I'm happy to help.

One other thing to consider is that you're going to spend more time away from the main campus in second year. You will still have lectures at main campus but you'll have PBL/CBL and hospital time at one of the UQ teaching hospitals. Some of these are closer to main campus than others so you shouldn't write off moving again at the end of first year. I was posted to the Royal Brisbane for second year and lived directly across the street at an apartment complex called The Mews. Fully furnished, of course. Hard to beat if you're there second year; they're at 141 Campbell Street in Bowen Hills. You can get between there and UQ's campus 90% of the way on dedicated bike paths too, shakes out to about... 7.5 miles or 12k or so.

Reactions: 1 users
@sean80439 any thoughts or opinions on the two preclinical schools, Royal Brisbane and Princess Alexandra? Trying to choose one but I don't have much information to help me. Thanks!
I was at the PA for first year and RBWH the second. They're both high level teaching hospitals; staff rotate between the two of them. Seriously, it doesn't make a difference.

The RBWH was a nicer building then, but I think that honor now goes to the PA. They have a coffee shop that roasts their own coffee in the lobby of the teaching building. Hard to top that. I think the teaching building at the PA is prettier too. You do have to walk slightly farther from the bus stop than you would at RBWH though, and RBWH has a subway if you feel the need. Yeah, the bus ride is 5-10 minutes longer than it is to the PA, from St. Lucia and you might have to change buses once. I would change at King George Square which put me in the CBD so I could do my shopping, or keep riding it into west end. The RBWH is a few minutes bike ride from one of the best coffee shops I've ever been to, a place called Bellissimo Coffee. The differences are all aesthetic and have nothing to do with quality of instruction or teaching. Pick whichever one is most convenient/has the best coffee/the prettiest building.

When I was in your position I asked for the RBWH originally and got the PA anyway so it probably doesn't even matter.

Reactions: 2 users
Anytime. I know how it is having to set up shop about as far away it is physically possible to be from your friends/family/support network so I'm happy to help.

One other thing to consider is that you're going to spend more time away from the main campus in second year. You will still have lectures at main campus but you'll have PBL/CBL and hospital time at one of the UQ teaching hospitals. Some of these are closer to main campus than others so you shouldn't write off moving again at the end of first year. I was posted to the Royal Brisbane for second year and lived directly across the street at an apartment complex called The Mews. Fully furnished, of course. Hard to beat if you're there second year; they're at 141 Campbell Street in Bowen Hills. You can get between there and UQ's campus 90% of the way on dedicated bike paths too, shakes out to about... 7.5 miles or 12k or so.

What about transportation and housing in New Orleans? I have the impression that public transport isn't too comprehensive there so do people usually get cars for third and fourth year? Also where do students typically live in New Orleans? Are there a lot of areas that are unsafe?

What about transportation and housing in New Orleans? I have the impression that public transport isn't too comprehensive there so do people usually get cars for third and fourth year? Also where do students typically live in New Orleans? Are there a lot of areas that are unsafe?
Public transport only exists as some kind of elaborate prank. Yeah, you can take the street car up St. Charles or Canal or whatever but it'll take all day. Yeah, there are buses that show up maybe once an hour if the driver feels like it to stops that have no shelter from the July sun or the April deluges.

You will want a car. My roommate is a third year student. They do not have a car. They do not know how to drive. They pay for groceries to be delivered (although I do provide regular shopping trips that they opt out of). They pay for taxis or must arrange carpools on rotations like OB/Gyn where everything is at Ochsner Baptist and they got sent to West Bank every day for two weeks. I am leaving for a month to go to India before residency starts and they will not have any transportation.

Do not be like my roommate. Learn to drive if you don't already. Have a car when you get here or to live with someone that has a car until you can get your own. You can get sent to the North Shore on GP, Baton Rouge on OB (yes they give you a place to live) and lot of other places. Ochsner has many hospitals. They seem like they are getting more, too, and you can be sent to any of them on a given rotation. This is truer for you than it was for me since your class is bigger.

In fact, the Ochsner Student Handbook expressly states that you must have your own transportation.

I live across the street from Ochsner. It takes me 5 minutes to get there tops. I have classmates that live closeby, almost neighbors, and others who live at places like The Saulet (expensive, far away) or in Carrolton, Uptown, Black Pearl, Leonidas and the like. Check to make sure the lease doesn't require you to vacate during Mardis Gras/Jazz Fest (yes that is a thing) and a lot of places don't have hookups for washer/dryer. It's common for houses and apartments to come with nothing - you'll have w/d hookups but no w/d and no fridge and no dishwasher, but you are more than welcome to install your own. Read listings carefully.

Nobody in our class has been robbed/attacked/shot/beaten/mugged/broken into in the four years we've had people here. I generally tell people don't be stupid. Don't go out alone at night and get wasted. Don't go out alone at night if you don't know the neighborhood. If a place feels dangerous don't be there and don't go there. Just pay attention to your surroundings and be nice to people. Some of my favorite parts of town are pretty terrible and dangerous looking, but I have no fear going there day or night. But I'm a guy and I did a lot of independent travel in some pretty rough places before I got here so what goes for me might not going to go for you. If you want you can always check out the the crime maps to get a feel for which places to avoid, but it's certainly not gospel.

Don't sweat New Orleans til you get here though, that's two years and a step examination away. Your second years will be here so you'll have a network already, and I guarantee you there are locals in your class that can help you out. I believe they keep a housing guide and work with a former staff member who's now in real estate to help students out. You're not getting thrown into the place alone.

Last edited:
Just a note for transport. It's one bus that goes from St Lucia to RBWH. It's close to 40min by bus to RBWH whereas PA is 3 stops away. You can also take any bus including the RBWH bus to PA and they come more often. It's why I would also suggest living near Bowen Hills if you get assigned to RBWH.

Hi all! Does anyone here know if graduates from the UQ-Ochsner program can do residencies in NY and CA? I know there were some questions on this in the past. I believe CA has been resolved as yes, but I am still unsure about NY. Thank you

^ same question. But my question is about residency/internship in the UK.

As a follow up to my own question, I know that NY and CA are the most strict. Looking at the placements I know that graduates have gotten many spots in the USA, just not CA and NY and there was some discussion about this in the past.

As a follow up to my own question, I know that NY and CA are the most strict. Looking at the placements I know that graduates have gotten many spots in the USA, just not CA and NY and there was some discussion about this in the past.
We are approved in California as far as I know. I didn't apply, partly because I don't have much interest in moving out there and they also required extra paperwork. When I applied we weren't eligible for New York, but I'm not sure if that has changed. Also not super interested in moving up there so I haven't really paid attention to it.

We did place one in CA this year. Other states were LA, MA, VA, MT, OR, NC, FL, MI, WA, TX, MN and CT. Not sure off the top of my head about the past.

Edit - Here is the complete list of places people in my program matched.

http://www.mededpath.org/residency_match.html

Last edited:
Thank you @Rhandhali!

Overall are you happy with your experience there? Seems like a great place! Do you feel the curriculum lined up with USMLE more than the Caribbean med schools where they focus heavily on USMLE prep?

Thank you @Rhandhali!

Overall are you happy with your experience there? Seems like a great place! Do you feel the curriculum lined up with USMLE more than the Caribbean med schools where they focus heavily on USMLE prep?

You just answered your own question. No the curriculum does not line up with the USMLE because the curriculum is designed to train Australian doctors. The top caribbean schools are heavily invested in students scoring well on the USMLE (it's their ticket to residency) so their curriculum is designed around that.

my source: good friend of mine is a first year in the UQ-O program now. She said the Americans need to pretty much teach themselves a lot and work extra hard because the pre-clinical basic sciences at UQ do not go into nearly the same depth that US med schools go into, so you can't mess around as much as the domestic Australian students who don't have that same pressure (to pass step 1). I.e she says biochem and microbio are a joke etc and require a ton of independent studying, not sure about other classes, and that lectures and the program are pretty disorganized overall. She's told me its a pretty mixed bag overall there, but if your Australian its pretty chill.

disclaimer: I'm not a student there so just passing along what my friend has told me.

I've seen the most recent match list, seemed nice, I've showed a friend at Ross (in the carib) to see what he had to say about it and he wasn't overly impressed. He said its a lot of places that IMGs match at in general and isn't too unique or better necessarily. Again take what you will, I'm not an expert on any of it.

Last edited:
Thank you @Rhandhali!

I cannot speak to how the Caribbean does things. The UQ curriculum does cover, like any medical school does, the same things covered on the step.

However, you're taking Australian classes for Australian students who are being trained to practice in Australia and the USMLE is not a thing there. They going to have a different focus and not be as exam oriented as you would find stateside or, I imagine, in the Caribbean. Your exams are written by UQ and aren't going to be modeled on the step like some medical schools do; you even get essay questions.

You will have USMLE tutorials. We got a copy of first aid, the Kaplan qbook (maybe they replace it with a qbank now), a couple of NBMEs and a UWorld subscription.

You do get some support, and the school understand what the step is and why it's important for us. I couldn't say that when I first started but they were getting on board and were fully on board by the time I left for New Orleans at the end of second year. However, it is still your responsibility to study and prepare for the exam; that's always going to be on you no matter what medical school you are in.

If you are studying like you need to for the step you will do fine on your UQ exams; just study the different subjects along with the UQ curriculum and keep it up all through second year. You've got two years to get ready for the test.

Thank you @Rhandhali!

Overall are you happy with your experience there?

I left this part out.

Yes. I am very happy with my experience at UQ and Ochsner. I feel like I got excellent clinical training while I was in Australia and in New Orleans. I met some amazing people and had an educational experience that has given me some really good stories on interviews. My class was smaller and the program rawer; I feel that I contributed to the direction of the program in some small way. I have lifelong friends I met through the program. I've gotten to do things that I never thought I would do, been places I never thought I would go. I think I can say with conviction that there is nobody involved in this program that doesn't want to be, and that everyone who is involved wants nothing but the best for the students and the program. This includes me, now that I'm getting a house staff coat at the end of June and will be teaching medical students from my own program. The prospect of helping teach and train other students who are coming up through my program is an honor and a privilege.

I don't want to paint an incomplete picture. This program is not for everyone. It is a very hard thing to see your parents crying as you leave them in front of security knowing you might not see them again for two years. It is a very hard thing to get off of a plane after a long hard flight, smacked in the face with the smell of jet exhaust and eucalyptus as you wait to pick up the two checked bags that effectively represent all your worldly possessions, not knowing anyone except maybe through Facebook. You can feel very, terribly, desperately lonely, especially at first.

You are in a foreign country. It can be deceptive. You aren't getting smacked in the face with just how different things can be like you do in, say, China or Mongolia. They have lots of American shows on TV and speak English, but things are different. Sometimes it's big things that don't matter. Sometimes it's a lot of little insignificant ways that are cumulatively maddening and take a while to register. Not everyone can deal with that.

I had a classmate who got so cripplingly homesick he failed first year, recycled and then vanished; presumably dropped out or kicked out. Yes we have Skype and email and phones and Facebook but the sheer distance can be palpable. You are basically as far from home as you can physically be. That distance will always be there, no matter how much talking on the phone or Skype or Facebook. You might be able to ignore it for a while, but you'll get reminded. Maybe it's missing a sibling's birthday, or a friend's wedding, or the birth of someone's child, or worst of all a death in the family. You can't always just pick up the phone because of the time difference and you realistically probably can't hop on the next flight home.

Maybe think twice if you haven't really traveled or been away from your people for significant periods of time. A lot is going to be asked of you. Make sure you're up for it. Not everyone is and that's OK.

You're going to have the opportunity to do well if you chose to do. But if you need to be wheedled, beaten or cajoled into studying for your regular classes, let alone the USMLE, you will have a rough time. You will be in a training program that doesn't build it's curriculum around the USMLE. Everything on the USMLE is covered like it would be at any medical school but some areas get emphasized differently. Microbiology has been mentioned as being not as heavily emphasized. What does that mean? It means you're spending some quality time with your micro books and some micro questions from your qbank. You don't really need to in order to pass. Nobody's going to make you or stand over you and shame you into doing it. There will be USMLE tutorials but nobody makes you go. They will give you USMLE study materials, but nobody makes you use them. You are responsible to yourself and for your own performance.

Australia is a great place to be, and it has lots of opportunities to slack, lots of gorgeous days to go see gorgeous sights and do fun things. Most of your non-Ochsner classmates aren't under the pressure that you are and there is always something going on. You absolutely should go out with your classmates and hit the town some night. Go sailing, go surfing, go biking, go to keg, a sausage sizzle, an ANZAC day parade, the beach, the outback, the markets, the koala sanctuary, Fortitude Valley. Get a rail pass and see the countryside. It would be unspeakably shameful not to do so. However you must not forget why you came there. You must not forget what you are doing. You must not forget where you are going. You must manage your time appropriately which can be very difficult for some people. You got two whole years, but it's only two whole years.

I'm not trying to be dark but I am doing my best to be honest. I am happy with the program, the people and the training. I am very proud to have come through UQ-Ochsner. I keep my UQMS key fob on my key chain and my UQ-Ochsner pin will be on my white coat. That is where they will always be as long as I have either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
is the curriculum PBL or lecture based?

if this school doesn't allow you to compete for Australian internship, wouldn't it be a huge red flag? because returning to the US is extremely difficult afaik, and what if i can't get a residency in the US? what am i to do then?

PBL based. And you can compete for intern spots, but you are ranked lowest priority. And if you find the fact that doing internship in Aus is difficult is a red flag you should just apply to the regular 4 year UQ program. The intent of the UQ-O program is not to stay in Aus or go anywhere else but train in the US.

what about the 10% who didn't match?

While it is not appropriate to discuss specifics, let's just say that of those who did not match it was completely unsurprising and by my estimation would have had difficulty matching had they been US grads. There is a reason why y'all are plastered with admonitions to remain studious.

how is public transportation (not only to campus but also to surrounding places: shopping, grocery, cinema, work, etc.)?

I did not own a car for the entire time I was there and had no issues getting around and getting things done. In fact it was quite refreshing to not have a vehicle, something that will be impossible once you come to NoLa.

The AOA/ACGME merger will certainly not make it harder for IMG's to get spots. You do realize that DO's currently already enter ACGME residencies but that MD's cannot enter AOA residencies? That means that that there will be an overall greater number of spots for AMG's to compete for. The increase in AMG grads will certainly have some effect, but it will not be that big. After all there are currently some ~10,000 spots in excess of the number of residency positions available. The UQ-O program will be looking to take about 125 of those. It doesn't seem to make much sense to me that going from 125 people competing for effectively 10,000 spots to ?7,000 spots really makes that huge of a difference. Some specific specialties may be affected more than others leading to serious difficulties getting a specific spot, but those would be the ones that are already highly impacted and extremely difficult to get into period (e.g. ortho; my US grad friend has now been rejected and failed to scramble 3 years running). But overall I think this doom and gloom regarding residency spots in regards to the UQ-O program is highly overblown. Unless you are concerned about a specific spot (location and/or specialty) there should be little to no palpable difference.

As for matching down the line... unfortunately I failed my crystal ball class in medical school. Anyone attempting to answer this question is making an educated guess at best. It seems reasonable to me that things would get easier as more of our graduates interview, match, and then become people interviewing in programs around the country. However, if classes start to suck and your classmates don't give a good impression of the program obviously that can be very different.

Hey, I'm a current UQ student. Everyone's talking about cost. First, yes, you can get government loans, but they're like 8%. if possible, pay a different way! Everyone wants to be independent, but if your parents have a house to re-mortgage or something like that, it's a WAY lower interest way to borrow. (I'm on gov't loans, but I'm sad I didn't stick my tail between my legs and try to borrow a different way).

Second, next year the AUD dollar is expected to drop, which is good for us, but not something you can bank on as a decision point, although it does feel good feeling like you're getting a 25% discount on everything.

Here's my main point though: I was just like a lot of you a few years ago. I really wanted to go to med school, but things didn't work out for me in the US (31 MCAT, but I turned in my applications really really late and my mid-3s GPA was also a hinderance). TBH I have zero regrets about coming to UQ, but that doesn't mean that you won't. I think the most important thing before you decide to come here is to consider for yourself why you've really made med school such a top priority. I don't mean to be paternalistic here, but it's so easy to get caught up in the "med school or bust" mentality, and easy to forget that you don't have to do med. It's your life. What do you like to do? What do you love? Don't do it for the status, or for some optimization of doing good for the world while also making a decent income. There are better ways to optimize it. Also, don't think that your study habits will suddenly change when you start med. If you don't like studying, it only gets harder. It is possible to fail here. Don't think that your personality is going to carry you through med school either just because everyone tells you you'd be a "great doctor and we need more doctors like you in the world"; plenty of people with great personalities struggle with med school.

There will absolutely be a bit of a stigma being an IMG. However, do not believe all those statistics about IMG residency matching: that includes all the IMGs who are not american citizens. The fact that you are an American and spend 2 years doing school in the US makes a HUGE difference. But there are still places that won't accept you because you are from an international school. You will still have to field back-handed questions about why you went to school in Australia.

As I've become a more confident person over the last few years of med school, those questions don't phase me at all anymore. It is such a privilege to practice medicine and study this stuff. When you compare yourself to US students, you are comparing yourself to such a specific, elite, and privileged group of people. The truth is that UQ's Australian med students are the cream of the crop from this country, and extremely bright, so if status as an end in itself is important to you, you won't be disappointed. Everyone in brisbane is impressed if you go to UQ med. But my real point is that once you start studying med and working with patients, that stuff starts to feel less important. It's such a cliche, but after spending some time abroad, it's really loosened up my American blinders in the sense that now what my hometown neighbor gossips about doesn't phase me in the slightest. I am here because I want to be here.

Everything in life is a challenge, being an IMG is only one of those, and it's worth it IF being a doctor is very important to you. And you will succeed. But if you have other interests, and you just dragged yourself through pre-med because you felt like it was the right thing to do, then don't drag yourself to the other side of the world and through med school as well. Instead, channel the confidence you are trying to build to start med school into pursuing your real dream. I know that sounds corny, but there is almost nothing for which I feel a stronger conviction.

Very well said and I agree with everything you had to say, in particular the part about being able to do something else with your life. Quite frankly even I am a bit appalled at the tuition. If it weren't for the fact that I was (and am) most definitely the "I absolutely need to be a doctor" (but for all the right reasons) person I would have balked at that. For me any cost is worth it because I love what I do so much. I really do. When I am not working I fall into a depressed state. When I put in 18 hours in the ICU I come home with spring in my step. But not everyone is a tiny bit insane like me.

The one thing I would say regarding loans though is that while a private loan can indeed offer you a better rate, it comes with significant downsides. I am able to pay zero dollars to my loan and have it count towards my PSLF. Meaning that since I am looking at a long training duration (3 fellowships... told you I'm insane) I will end up paying only about $175k of my ~$400k loan. Regardless of interest. Additionally a lot of private loans you can get have variable interest rates which can go much higher than what the gov't loans offer. And almost all of them will require someone to co-sign them, exposing them to financial liability. My parents have a fair bit of assets. If I had asked them to co-sign and then some tragedy struck me rendering me incapable of paying I would not be able to declare bankruptcy and have it be dealt with - they would go after my parents and take a few hundred thousand of their dollars. Lastly, you can still consolidate the loans privately after the fact for a much better rate, often without requiring a co-signatory. From my perspective despite the high rate, gov't loans are still the better way to go. But the real point is to do the research and find out what makes the most sense for you.

^ same question. But my question is about residency/internship in the UK.

If you are interested in doing residency in the UK then this is likely not the program for you. Either look at UK programs or just the regular 4 year UQ program. I don't see what value being UQ-O could possibly add to vying for the UK. And no matter what, you will incur extra costs for being UQ-O, even if that is minimally restricted to moving costs.

You just answered your own question. No the curriculum does not line up with the USMLE because the curriculum is designed to train Australian doctors. The top caribbean schools are heavily invested in students scoring well on the USMLE (it's their ticket to residency) so their curriculum is designed around that.

my source: good friend of mine is a first year in the UQ-O program now. She said the Americans need to pretty much teach themselves a lot and work extra hard because the pre-clinical basic sciences at UQ do not go into nearly the same depth that US med schools go into, so you can't mess around as much as the domestic Australian students who don't have that same pressure (to pass step 1). I.e she says biochem and microbio are a joke etc and require a ton of independent studying, not sure about other classes, and that lectures and the program are pretty disorganized overall. She's told me its a pretty mixed bag overall there, but if your Australian its pretty chill.

disclaimer: I'm not a student there so just passing along what my friend has told me.

I've seen the most recent match list, seemed nice, I've showed a friend at Ross (in the carib) to see what he had to say about it and he wasn't overly impressed. He said its a lot of places that IMGs match at in general and isn't too unique or better necessarily. Again take what you will, I'm not an expert on any of it.

Not an unfair commentary.

As I and many others have mentioned, yes you do need to be a lot more focused and work harder than your Aussie counterparts. That said if you go Carib you won't be working harder than your classmates but you will need to work harder than a US student, so I don't see that the comparison actually adds any useful information. If you recognize that you are the person who needs more structure and essentially being forced to study for the USMLE then I wholeheartedly agree - UQ-O is probably not the best option for you. For me, the freedom was exactly what I needed and I thrived in it. As Pitman said, you have to be honest with yourself in these matters.

As for the match list... what's to be impressed about? The tough specialties and places are going to be tough and our sample size is small and the program is still fresh and making inroads. I would have been quite surprised if it was somehow significantly more impressive than any other IMG match list. That said, the Caribs are well known for a business model based on attrition. They take a huge number of students and the cream rises to the top and does OK and the chaff gets cut. There is also little to no opportunity for research, particularly serious research, which is a huge feather in the cap of UQ over any Carib program. I've had to turn down many good research projects for lack of time. I think what will really be telling is the match list in 3-4 years, after a few classes at max capacity have tried to match. Bear in mind that the first fully capitated class (at 125) is still in their 3rd year. We need more numbers and a better data set to say anything truly meaningful. Right now all that can be honestly said is that if you are a frack-up you won't match but if you work hard and do reasonably well you are well likely to get some spot somewhere.

As for matching down the line... unfortunately I failed my crystal ball class in medical school. Anyone attempting to answer this question is making an educated guess at best. It seems reasonable to me that things would get easier as more of our graduates interview, match, and then become people interviewing in programs around the country. However, if classes start to suck and your classmates don't give a good impression of the program obviously that can be very different.

This is true. There have been three matched classes yes. But this is still a raw, new program. A lot of residency programs, program directors and so forth still haven't had that first impression yet. There is still a substantial burden on everyone that is in the UQ-Ochsner program to represent the program in a manner that they would wish it to be thought of when it comes time to fill out residency applications. We didn't have, and current/new students still don't have, a reputation to coast on. Or to overcome for that matter. UQ Ochsner is a slate that is just beginning to get filled out. How each class represents themselves to their attendings, their residents, to the staff, to the janitors, to students from other schools, at conferences, on away rotations and so on so forth, will play a significant role in developing the program's reputation.