UQ-Ochsner 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Compounding interest: a Roth IRA with compounding, tax-free interest is a better investment even against a 7% loan. The reason the majority of hedge fund investors lose to the S&P is the "I'm special and live in a special time" fallacy, even though history has repeated over and over again that universal value will always increase.

I get people think this is the worst time in financial history and there can never and will never be anything worse, but this time is not special, not worst, nor best. As you can see now, there's rants complaining about the soon-to-rise bank account interest rates, that it's going to kill the 30%+ returns we've been enjoying in stocks (but it's not).

I'm not trying to say you should play the risky game, but cut the #### and be honest: if this venture was financial suicide (see NYMC), you wouldn't be doing it. However, you and I both know you'll be living not only comfortably with a physician's salary, but lavishly. Assuming you don't specialize, 4x a debt is nothing compared to debts like a million+ mortgage doctors readily go into.

I think you need a little bit more understanding of the finances involved.

There is an income cap on Roth's and any tax-free interest savings account. So no, when you are an attending you will not be able to put away into a Roth. Also, your interest on your loans compounds as well. So having your CD with a going rate of less than 2% (and around 3% at the most) compounding is simply not going to make you money on your loans that are compounding at the same time at a minimum rate of at least 5% (and that is after they made it much better for borrowers with the new legislation on loans... mine are at a minimum of 6.5% with G+ loans at 8.5%; now the G+ loans are 6.84%). Of course this drop in rate is even further mitigated by the fact that no graduate student loans are subsidy eligible (which wasn't that big of a help anyways).

And while you are right that this isn't so incredibly unique a time, it is important to note what other times in the past seemed rather similar to now. The closest macro and micro economic analogue to the current situation was the roaring 20's. Which was not exactly followed by the "booming 30's." The fact that this time is not "unique" nor "the worst" (which are both rather nebulous terms that can conveniently mean whatever one wishes them to depending on context) doesn't mean it is also a good time. The idea that universal value will always increase over very long periods of time is an arguable truism. But that doesn't help if the general trend happens to be up whilst you manage to get snagged up in a relatively short but jagged down. And if you think the world economy isn't headed for a rather big down, then I suggest you do some more reading on the matter, including historical reading. Paul Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers is a valuable read.

Also, the idea that people wouldn't be engaged in a venture that is financial suicide is short sighted and naive. Multi-level marketing still exists and people still pour their heart and souls into it and that is obviously and well known to be a foray into financial suicide. There are also many reasons besides money people would choose to be in medicine. I myself would do it even if you guaranteed me financial ruin at the outset. Or at least I'd like to think, not being in such a situation. I'd probably think differently on the other side, but the point is that at the time the decision would be made I wouldn't. Granted I may be an outlier, but a black swan is all one needs to refute such arguments.

Furthermore, living "lavishly" (once again being rather subjective... lavish for a Saudi prince or lavish for a New Delhi street urchin?) is rather hyperbolic. I know personally a number of physicians that are comfortable living in their small homes with 5 year old Toyotas and a few that live paycheck to paycheck. I also know a number that really do live lavishly (including one who could reasonably be called so by Saudi prince standards).

There is also a distinct difference between a debt when it is a mortgage versus a student loan from which you cannot declare bankruptcy. In the former you have a real asset that can be leveraged and, if you do happen to take a bath and end up deep underwater, can at least declare bankruptcy and move on. The latter will stay with you through thick and thin, continuing to compound interest at a rate around double what other financial investments are likely to make you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe the cap is applicable only to the new borrowers after 7/2015. For the old borrowers, enjoy your big forgiveness.

So this is a bit troubling but there are some silver linings. Look here and here.

The main points are this:

The IBR (but not PAYE) is built into the MPN. As such any loans prior to 7/1/2015 are definitely grandfathered in to the 10-year unlimited PSLF (yay me!). Additionally, for now, PAYE is allowed to be grandfathered in. Furthermore, and this could prove to be a big linchpin for those who have undergrad loans, if you had any loans eligible for IBR/PSLF with unlimited forgiveness prior to 7/1/2015 then all your future loans that would otherwise have been eligible will also be.

Also, it seems that while the cap has been proposed and looks like it probably will happen it hasn't actually happened yet. Now's the time to lobby congress. The difficulty will be that it seems there has been systematic and institutional abuse of the program by uni's basically jacking up tuition to crazy high rates and then developing means by which its graduates can get the forgiveness. In other words, making it easier for the graduate to not feel the sting of the loans whilst still getting money hand over fist.

So yeah, unfortunately it seems that there will indeed be a cap to forgiveness looming for future students. But there are some useful loopholes that may apply to you. Also there are some other proposals for incremental forgiveness rather than large lump sum at the end. This would incentivize people to at least get some help with loans via PSLF by getting yearly forgiveness rather than the current all-or-nothing model.

Which residency takes ten years?

Also, why the frantic desire to pay off student loans? From my understanding, you actually want to keep student loans (not other debt) for as long as possible because the rates are so low, and you can put your money elsewhere and get equal/greater returns. I'm not saying this is a solution, but six figures "in debt" isn't a big deal when you are making six figures a year.
PGY10 refers to residency plus some fellowship years.

You should understand that the interest rates of student loans are among the highest rate of all loans. Maybe only unpaid credit card balance may charge higher interest rates than student loans.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So this is a bit troubling but there are some silver linings. Look here and here.

The main points are this:

The IBR (but not PAYE) is built into the MPN. As such any loans prior to 7/1/2015 are definitely grandfathered in to the 10-year unlimited PSLF (yay me!). Additionally, for now, PAYE is allowed to be grandfathered in. Furthermore, and this could prove to be a big linchpin for those who have undergrad loans, if you had any loans eligible for IBR/PSLF with unlimited forgiveness prior to 7/1/2015 then all your future loans that would otherwise have been eligible will also be.

Also, it seems that while the cap has been proposed and looks like it probably will happen it hasn't actually happened yet. Now's the time to lobby congress. The difficulty will be that it seems there has been systematic and institutional abuse of the program by uni's basically jacking up tuition to crazy high rates and then developing means by which its graduates can get the forgiveness. In other words, making it easier for the graduate to not feel the sting of the loans whilst still getting money hand over fist.

So yeah, unfortunately it seems that there will indeed be a cap to forgiveness looming for future students. But there are some useful loopholes that may apply to you. Also there are some other proposals for incremental forgiveness rather than large lump sum at the end. This would incentivize people to at least get some help with loans via PSLF by getting yearly forgiveness rather than the current all-or-nothing model.
Thanks for pointing this out. It may help some people big time. I'll be a new borrower, so I'm out of luck.

This sounds like the start of a very informative post - or one that is riddled with anecdotal evidence, absolute statements sans authority, and extremely specific examples that don't apply. Whatever the case, I better keep these sites handy since I'm not an authority on finance:
http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/
http://www.getrichslowly.org/blog/2008/11/12/the-best-recession-proof-jobs/

There is an income cap on Roth's and any tax-free interest savings account. So no, when you are an attending you will not be able to put away into a Roth. Also, your interest on your loans compounds as well. So having your CD with a going rate of less than 2% (and around 3% at the most) compounding is simply not going to make you money on your loans that are compounding at the same time at a minimum rate of at least 5% (and that is after they made it much better for borrowers with the new legislation on loans... mine are at a minimum of 6.5% with G+ loans at 8.5%; now the G+ loans are 6.84%). Of course this drop in rate is even further mitigated by the fact that no graduate student loans are subsidy eligible (which wasn't that big of a help anyways).
The time frame we were talking about was closer to graduation, at which point I'd like to see anyone as a resident make so much as to overcome the Roth limit. So, let's say you somehow break all rules cause you are awesome, and start residency as an attending. With the Student Interest Tax break and the Traditional IRA, you can actually get lower returns than "6.84%"and still make more money because you literally will have more money from pre-tax dollars that will compound. Please, don't twist my words again and say "this will happen with 100% certainty," but it will most likely happen because, just with holding onto ETFs alone, it hasn't NOT happened before.

Since the large majority (I'll give you a number so you don't make some inane point about "majority" somehow being malleable: >50% in the USA) are not bankrupt or in poverty, you're going to have to show me some money magic to demonstrate why future doctors will be bankrupt when current ones aren't. This was the heart of my point which you try to counter below about living in a special time.

And while you are right that this isn't so incredibly unique a time, it is important to note what other times in the past seemed rather similar to now. The closest macro and micro economic analogue to the current situation was the roaring 20's.
Saying something in an authoritative voice doesn't make it true. Can you provide a credible source for this? It's easy to make statements without proof.

Which was not exactly followed by the "booming 30's." The fact that this time is not "unique" nor "the worst" (which are both rather nebulous terms that can conveniently mean whatever one wishes them to depending on context) doesn't mean it is also a good time.
It can, but it's better than acting as the foremost authority on a subject without one shred of evidence. I never claimed to be an expert, so if neither of us are citing sources, let's not pretend to be above one another. Yes, there are no absolutes, but if you are always worried about a statistically-unlikely worst-case scenario, you should do nothing. You and I both knew I was talking on the most-likely scenario, which is backed by statistics (pick whichever non-nebulous and inconvenient measure you wish for that word).

But hey, you are saying these nebulous terms are convenient, but your rebuttal seems equally so. How about we see who is made of more smoke? You can pick any rubric: in what way is this time unique or the worst for doctors financially? You can feel free to ignore that 2008 article, and others like it that show doctor salaries are recession proof, and pick some other rubric. And please, don't be facetious and be like, "Worst negative ROI for doctors ever." You're free, however, to use whatever credible resource you want, just like the Medscape post-obamacare survey US News used http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/da...re-changes-doctor-pay-still-confusing-unequal

The idea that universal value will always increase over very long periods of time is an arguable truism. But that doesn't help if the general trend happens to be up whilst you manage to get snagged up in a relatively short but jagged down. And if you think the world economy isn't headed for a rather big down, then I suggest you do some more reading on the matter, including historical reading. Paul Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers is a valuable read.
Okay, so you are one of those "the world will go down, and eventually I will be right" arguable truisms. It neither helps nor hurts your point. It's a pointless statement that gets us nowhere in the discussion. I'm actually familiar with the book (via podcasts/interviews) and I don't think you understand what the point of it was if you think it summarizes to, "it is inevitable that every economy will fail." While I empathize some can come to that nihilistic conclusion from the book, the author's point (again from podcasts/interviews) was these events can be predicted (and even prevented). But even that is pointless, because everyone already knew 2008 was going to happen, so I'm not sure what telling someone to read a book does.

Again, I didn't read the book, so maybe the author just lies in person to get people to read his book. But I'm not going to read it, so if there's a particular point you'd like to make, just share it instead of being hypocritical (you know, being vague and nebulous and accusing me of such in the same breath).

Also, the idea that people wouldn't be engaged in a venture that is financial suicide is short sighted and naive. Multi-level marketing still exists and people still pour their heart and souls into it and that is obviously and well known to be a foray into financial suicide. There are also many reasons besides money people would choose to be in medicine. I myself would do it even if you guaranteed me financial ruin at the outset. Or at least I'd like to think, not being in such a situation. I'd probably think differently on the other side, but the point is that at the time the decision would be made I wouldn't. Granted I may be an outlier, but a black swan is all one needs to refute such arguments.
I'm glad I kept this site handy. Let's see... ah, here we go: http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/97-faulty-comparison

But hey, I'll gladly address this if you don't contradict yourself via a double standard when talking about mortgages.

Furthermore, living "lavishly" (once again being rather subjective... lavish for a Saudi prince or lavish for a New Delhi street urchin?) is rather hyperbolic. I know personally a number of physicians that are comfortable living in their small homes with 5 year old Toyotas and a few that live paycheck to paycheck. I also know a number that really do live lavishly (including one who could reasonably be called so by Saudi prince standards).
No it's not, and frankly, and I'm sick of your strawmen. Your mutilation of my meaning is hyperbolic and pointless. You and I both know what I mean, every single time you're being hyperbolic and now you actually calling me this is laughable. And your anecdotal evidence is absurd and extreme: http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/53-argument-from-hearsay

So, I would say you know physicians with poor financial sense. I know many people who make less than six figures, had CC debt that was close to six figures (so around 20%+ interest) and came out NOT living from paycheck to paycheck. These people experienced the same burden as someone with a lower interest rate but a higher principal. So, I don't know how this anecdotal battle works. How many people do I need to know in order to counter your physicians? Are all people equal?

Let's focus on the statistical likelihood and not extreme cases, okay?

There is also a distinct difference between a debt when it is a mortgage versus a student loan from which you cannot declare bankruptcy. In the former you have a real asset that can be leveraged and, if you do happen to take a bath and end up deep underwater, can at least declare bankruptcy and move on. The latter will stay with you through thick and thin, continuing to compound interest at a rate around double what other financial investments are likely to make you.
So, if I entertain this comment, you're going to have to basically first admit that your other examples are invalid since you're holding yourself to different standards at different points.

What exactly is your point, and the point of contradicting yourself? Are you telling people the finances cannot be managed? Or are you saying it's manageable?

In case anyone this year is concerned about their new loans (2015-2016) not qualifying for Public Service Repayment. I went through the MPN and found it's still included under "22. Discharge"

1. Public Service Loan Forgiveness

A Public Service Loan Forgiveness program is also available. Under this program, we will forgive the remaining balance due on your eligible Direct Loan Program loans after you have made 120 payments on those loans (after October 1, 2007) under certain repayment plans while you are employed full-time in certain public service jobs. The required 120 payments do not have to be consecutive.
I would imagine that at least this year would be grandfathered in if there were any changes. I can't seem to google any new information.

PGY10 refers to residency plus some fellowship years.

You should understand that the interest rates of student loans are among the highest rate of all loans. Maybe only unpaid credit card balance may charge higher interest rates than student loans.

Yep. I am looking at being a PGY-8 and I know a guy who is PGY-10 right now at Ochsner.

The time frame we were talking about was closer to graduation, at which point I'd like to see anyone as a resident make so much as to overcome the Roth limit. So, let's say you somehow break all rules cause you are awesome, and start residency as an attending. With the Student Interest Tax break and the Traditional IRA, you can actually get lower returns than "6.84%"and still make more money because you literally will have more money from pre-tax dollars that will compound. Please, don't twist my words again and say "this will happen with 100% certainty," but it will most likely happen because, just with holding onto ETFs alone, it hasn't NOT happened before.,

You realize this is utterly besides the point right? That the fact that you can toss money into a Roth while a resident has no bearing on the fact that you are referring to not paying your loans after residency in favor of putting money away into some sort of retirement account, right? So yeah, put money away into a Roth while you can. It is the smart financial decision to make. But that has absolutely no bearing on the argument you made regarding why it is in your best interest to discharge your loans ASAP.

For the time you are in residency, sure, paying towards a Roth (or any other similar investment plan) rather than paying extra (say, over IBR or PAYE) does make sense. But then you are still left with a ~$400k loan that is has been earning interest the whole time and will continue to do so. So now that you are an attending, and can no longer pay into a Roth or similar account, what should you do with that extra money you have? Your argument seems to be that you should continue to pay the minimum you can towards your loan and invest the rest because you expect that investment to earn interest faster than your loan will... and that is incorrect.

Since the large majority (I'll give you a number so you don't make some inane point about "majority" somehow being malleable: >50% in the USA) are not bankrupt or in poverty, you're going to have to show me some money magic to demonstrate why future doctors will be bankrupt when current ones aren't. This was the heart of my point which you try to counter below about living in a special time.

This also has no bearing on the argument at all. I never said that doctors will be bankrupt. I brought up bankruptcy to point to the fact that a student loan vs a mortgage is a different kind of debt burden with different sort of risk associated with it. At the end of your life you will have (almost certainly) had to pay off your student loan + interest entirely. If you pay the minimum towards it every time and use the extra money you don't pay towards it to try and invest in some sort of retirement account then you will have less total money over your lifetime than if you paid the loan as quickly as you can initially and then put even more money towards your retirement accounts. Now, I suppose one could find some clever way to come up with an argument about living long enough that the initial investments made compound enough because you live [xxx] years longer than the date you completely pay off your loan, thus the extra money you put in in lieu of paying the loan would thus become somewhat more in the last decade of your life, but that is a very contrived argument and hardly what you seemed to be arguing (and if you were, still a rather poor argument).

And, of course, all along the way the total amount you end up paying towards your loan will continue to go up so if, for any reason, along the way something were to happen and render you unable to pay or make your retirement account ROI less, then you are completely screwed and have no means by which to discharge the now significantly larger student loan you've allowed to balloon no matter how dire the situation becomes.

Saying something in an authoritative voice doesn't make it true. Can you provide a credible source for this? It's easy to make statements without proof.

Fine, here and here. Obviously not exactly like the 20's, that's why I said analogous.

"Despite the stunning contraction of industrial production and trade across the globe, the global economy is still a far cry away from the calamities of the Great Depression. However, if the economic damage of the current global crisis may have been contained so far, worrisome parallels to the early 1930s remain and preventive policy actions must be kept up"

"This has created a society with more extreme wealth inequality than we have seen at any time since the 1920s"

My point being is that it is not exactly a rosy time for economics and trying to bank on having current investments manage to outpace the interest compounding on a loan the size of a normal mortgage but that has none of the perks or protections that a mortgage has.

It can, but it's better than acting as the foremost authority on a subject without one shred of evidence. I never claimed to be an expert, so if neither of us are citing sources, let's not pretend to be above one another. Yes, there are no absolutes, but if you are always worried about a statistically-unlikely worst-case scenario, you should do nothing. You and I both knew I was talking on the most-likely scenario, which is backed by statistics (pick whichever non-nebulous and inconvenient measure you wish for that word).

But hey, you are saying these nebulous terms are convenient, but your rebuttal seems equally so. How about we see who is made of more smoke? You can pick any rubric: in what way is this time unique or the worst for doctors financially? You can feel free to ignore that 2008 article, and others like it that show doctor salaries are recession proof, and pick some other rubric. And please, don't be facetious and be like, "Worst negative ROI for doctors ever." You're free, however, to use whatever credible resource you want, just like the Medscape post-obamacare survey US News used http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/da...re-changes-doctor-pay-still-confusing-unequal

I never argued that physicians won't be doing better than most people in society nor that our incomes are not going to be higher and much more guaranteed than just about anyone else. They are. And we will indeed, for the most part, be just fine no matter what. Even with ridiculously stupid loans like the ones I've got and the worse ones you are likely to get, we will still be fine. But that is a far cry from arguing we will be living lavishly and that this means we can basically ignore our loans and keep them hanging around as long as possible in favor of other investments.

Try and remember what your argument actually was: that keeping your student loan around longer in favor of putting more money away into some sort of retirement investment is a better financial decision. That is simply not the case at all and what I am trying to argue. Everything else I referred to was not to try and say we will be out in the cold and have no incomes or otherwise be bankrupt or poor. You entirely missed my point, and I am sorry if I did not communicate it well. My point was that those other investments you are referring to in lieu of paying loans are very much subject to those other economic factors. So when other people's jobs and money tank, even when ours doesn't, we will end up getting even less on our investments.

Okay, so you are one of those "the world will go down, and eventually I will be right" arguable truisms. It neither helps nor hurts your point. It's a pointless statement that gets us nowhere in the discussion. I'm actually familiar with the book (via podcasts/interviews) and I don't think you understand what the point of it was if you think it summarizes to, "it is inevitable that every economy will fail." While I empathize some can come to that nihilistic conclusion from the book, the author's point (again from podcasts/interviews) was these events can be predicted (and even prevented). But even that is pointless, because everyone already knew 2008 was going to happen, so I'm not sure what telling someone to read a book does.

No that is not the point of the book nor the point I was trying to make. The point was that all major world economies will be eclipsed by a new and up and coming one. Basically the idea promulgated by Kennedy was that a giant world economy will have a huge inertia behind it. At a certain point the infrastructure and technological sophistication that the world leader has brought to bear will be eclipsed by the very technologies it has opened to door to that made it prosperous in the first place. From there, economies that have lagged behind will have a higher stepping stone to then eclipse the previous "great world power." Which is why, for example, the Middle East has better cell phone coverage than the US and why most of the developed has better and faster internet connectivity than the US. And why the Chinese economy will eclipse the US economy.

Now that doesn't mean that the US economy will necessarily crash and burn. I think that will happen because the US population is aggravatingly stupid, willfully ignorant, and run by crooked politicians in the pockets of lobbyists with provincial and very self serving goals in mind. But that is a different discussion. My point is that when (not if, which is what Kennedy's book was really about) the US economy is eclipsed then the investments and opportunities you are currently gauging your argument about where to allocate funds is based on will have even less ROI and thus be even more handicapped in terms of being a better investment than paying down your loans rapidly.

I'm glad I kept this site handy. Let's see... ah, here we go: http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/97-faulty-comparison

But hey, I'll gladly address this if you don't contradict yourself via a double standard when talking about mortgages.

Dropping fallacies can make you feel like you've made a good argument, except when it is not at all clear how the fallacy applies. By my estimation your correctly pointed out logical fallacy does not apply to my comment. Your argument is that these huge student debts with the worst terms of any debt burden that someone can take on is not that bad because people wouldn't enter a venture that is financial suicide. I gave an example of people who do enter into something that is financial suicide to counter that. So, no logical fallacy applies here mate.

No it's not, and frankly, and I'm sick of your strawmen. Your mutilation of my meaning is hyperbolic and pointless. You and I both know what I mean, every single time you're being hyperbolic and now you actually calling me this is laughable. And your anecdotal evidence is absurd and extreme: http://www.logicallyfallacious.com/index.php/logical-fallacies/53-argument-from-hearsay

And your inability to actually stay on point and address the actual argument you made as I have pointed out above is rather pointless as well. Dropping logical fallacies left and right (which, BTW are informal logical fallacies and therefore are only fallacies dependent on the context, which of course I will argue you are incorrectly applying). The very fact that you are saying "you and I both know what I mean" makes the point nicely: you are using hyperbolic adjectives to make your argument sound more robust and when someone points out that they are exactly that, your retort is "you know what I really mean."

So, I would say you know physicians with poor financial sense. I know many people who make less than six figures, had CC debt that was close to six figures (so around 20%+ interest) and came out NOT living from paycheck to paycheck. These people experienced the same burden as someone with a lower interest rate but a higher principal. So, I don't know how this anecdotal battle works. How many people do I need to know in order to counter your physicians? Are all people equal?

And the repayment terms (including how much to pay) on CC vs student debt are vastly different. Paying the minimum on a student loan is different than the minimum of a CC debt. And the fact that you can do so and not live paycheck to paycheck doesn't mean you are making a financially wise decision, which is what the original point of all this was. You tried to further bolster that argument by implying that physicians will make enough money that we will all live "lavishly" thus implying that we will most definitely have surplus money to invest as you are proposing. You are also ignoring the fact that this is a different time right now. The generation of physicians before us never had debt like we do and our debt is only getting worse. Our pay is also getting worse, though of course it is not as apocalyptic as the old guard would have us think (it is apocalyptic relative to them because they were exorbitantly paid). The point being is that you are making an argument based on the current population of physicians that do not and will not have the debt:income ratio we will. Because we are caught at the point where debt (and debt terms) are getting worse whilst income is also getting worse. This doesn't mean we will be paupers by any stretch, but it does mean that your initial argument that we are better off investing the money elsewhere than paying our loans is yet again hamstringed.

What exactly is your point, and the point of contradicting yourself? Are you telling people the finances cannot be managed? Or are you saying it's manageable?

So to make it clear what, exactly my point is:

There is no conceivable way that keeping around student debt longer is a better financial decision than discharging it as quickly as possible. Simple as that. All the reasons why are interesting, arguable, and certainly not set in stone. It could be that you are right. I think there are ample reasons why you won't be and I have laid many of them out. So rather than get bogged down in the weeds, how about getting back to the actual point?

Remember when you said:

Also, why the frantic desire to pay off student loans? From my understanding, you actually want to keep student loans (not other debt) for as long as possible because the rates are so low, and you can put your money elsewhere and get equal/greater returns.... Compounding interest: a Roth IRA with compounding, tax-free interest is a better investment even against a 7% loan

Your point here is that keeping the loan around longer will be better and you even made the specific argument that a Roth IRA will be a better investment against that loan you are keeping around longer. My point has been that no, keeping that loan around longer is not a better financial decision and that you will not be able to keep investing in a Roth in order to try and make that a better overall investment than paying down your loan quickly. So when you say:

I'm not saying this is a solution, but six figures "in debt" isn't a big deal when you are making six figures a year.

Sure, it depends on what you mean by "big deal." If you mean that you will be able to afford your loans and still be able to live comfortably, sure., then I agree with you. But if you mean that it is a better financial decision to make in the long run to keep that loan around for as long as possible (which is exactly what you argued, as I quoted above) particularly by using a Roth IRA as an example of why, then no, I do not agree with you.

Last edited:
I think the better solution is to lobby congress to ensure that we can still use PSLF and PAYE. If there is already a shortage of doctors in the US, and they are demanding more supply, then saddling us with a massive debt will actively dis-incentivize future students from pursuing med school lest they have massive student loan debt looming over their shoulders. Sure, even if we have to pay back all 400k+ in loans, and if we are making the median salary, it won't be terrible, but it is the equivalent of having a second mortgage. It significantly delays retirement at the least, and it definitely would impinge on lifestyle choices since the disposable income is not going to be as great.

Can anyone give an opinion on the clinical schools: Princess Alexandra, Brisbane & Women, Mater? Which one is the best? Which is most conenient to commute to? Which is nearest to the school? Etc.

Can anyone give an opinion on the clinical schools: Princess Alexandra, Brisbane & Women, Mater? Which one is the best? Which is most conenient to commute to? Which is nearest to the school? Etc.

The consensus is that it doesn't matter first year and even when you put in your preference, it's still up to a lottery if there's too many people. I've been told repeatedly to go with the closest/most convenient to where you live for first year. PA is closest to UQ and the newest but Mater is very close as well and smaller. Pull up a map, do a couple searches for commute times, and you'll get a good idea. That being said, I still chose Royal Brisbane.

Does this mean you've accepted a seat?

The consensus is that it doesn't matter first year and even when you put in your preference, it's still up to a lottery if there's too many people. I've been told repeatedly to go with the closest/most convenient to where you live for first year. PA is closest to UQ and the newest but Mater is very close as well and smaller. Pull up a map, do a couple searches for commute times, and you'll get a good idea. That being said, I still chose Royal Brisbane.

Does this mean you've accepted a seat?

Spot on.

And while you are right that this isn't so incredibly unique a time, it is important to note what other times in the past seemed rather similar to now. The closest macro and micro economic analogue to the current situation was the roaring 20's. Which was not exactly followed by the "booming 30's." The fact that this time is not "unique" nor "the worst" (which are both rather nebulous terms that can conveniently mean whatever one wishes them to depending on context) doesn't mean it is also a good time. The idea that universal value will always increase over very long periods of time is an arguable truism. But that doesn't help if the general trend happens to be up whilst you manage to get snagged up in a relatively short but jagged down. And if you think the world economy isn't headed for a rather big down, then I suggest you do some more reading on the matter, including historical reading. Paul Kennedy's The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers is a valuable read.

Good arguments!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all! I was just wondering how strict they are about minimum mcat. I looooove this program but I got a 496 and they require a 499. The rest of my stats are solid though, 3.7 GPA, ECs and volunteer/research experience, good LoRs, etc. Hoping against hope that an unfortunate test date doesn't ruin my chances!

Hello all! I was just wondering how strict they are about minimum mcat. I looooove this program but I got a 496 and they require a 499. The rest of my stats are solid though, 3.7 GPA, ECs and volunteer/research experience, good LoRs, etc. Hoping against hope that an unfortunate test date doesn't ruin my chances!

Unfortunately they have rather historically been quite stringent on the minimums. Since the bulk of acceptance (and the general UQ model for all entrants, even domestics) is based on scores there is very little leeway in this regard. I know of someone who just barely didn't make the GPA cut off and was only able to matriculate after showing that the grades as reported were inaccurate and got officially corrected grades. But it was a firm no until that point.

Perhaps things are a bit different these days and I can't speak with absolute certainty on the topic, but knowing the Aussies and UQ system as well as a few historical examples, I am pretty confident that not meeting the minimum MCAT score would mean no chance of acceptance. However, it is my understanding that the test can be re-taken and a higher score would get you in.

They are strict about it and Australian schools don't care about extra curriculars or LORs. Retake and apply for next year or apply with that 496 for traditional UQ next year.

where are the first 2 year's classes are held? St. Lucia or Brisbane?
when searching for apartment (there's no on-campus housing, right?), should I choose St. Lucia or Brisbane as the location to be as close to the school (where classes are held) as possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
@Maruko i believe it's Saint Lucia

I'm in a slight dilemma. My deadline to put down a deposit is in mid-September. I've applied to DO schools and so far received 2 interviews. The first one is August 24. Would waiting until the last minute to put down the deposit be risky? Does anyone have an idea if the class would be full by then? I want to wait to hear back from at least one DO school, if I'm lucky enough. If I don't hear back before my UQ deposit deadline, I would put down the UQ -Ochsner deposit/purchase health insurance.

I'm in a slight dilemma. My deadline to put down a deposit is in mid-September. I've applied to DO schools and so far received 2 interviews. The first one is August 24. Would waiting until the last minute to put down the deposit be risky? Does anyone have an idea if the class would be full by then? I want to wait to hear back from at least one DO school, if I'm lucky enough. If I don't hear back before my UQ deposit deadline, I would put down the UQ -Ochsner deposit/purchase health insurance.
I waited until last minute to send in deposit, too...
it is risky because seats may be all taken up by then (I was told there were ~20 seats left last week)

I waited until last minute to send in deposit, too...
it is risky because seats may be all taken up by then (I was told there were ~20 seats left last week)
Ok, thanks for the info! I just emailed MEP asking how many seats were left this week. I'll probably just make the financial "investment" just to be safe. Are you waiting to hear back from US medical schools, as well?

where are the first 2 year's classes are held? St. Lucia or Brisbane?
when searching for apartment (there's no on-campus housing, right?), should I choose St. Lucia or Brisbane as the location to be as close to the school (where classes are held) as possible?

St. Lucia is a suburb of Brisbane. Just like West End, Toowong, New Farm, CBD, Woolloongabba, and so on. So you will be living and having classes in Brisbane no matter what. M1 year almost everything is held at the St. Lucia campus (the only exception is clinical coaching which will be at your clinical school and a smattering of other one-off things). M2 year most things will be held at your clinical school with a large minority of things held at the St. Lucia campus (the bulk of which are lectures, which I never attended during the latter half of M1 and entirety of M2 year, meaning that 90% of the things I did attend were at RBWH for me).

There is on-campus housing but it is small, crappy, expensive, and full of undergrads. One of the guys in my class did it for the first year and couldn't stand it. There are plenty of housing options in St. Lucia ver near the campus. Toowong is an excellent choice to be just a bit closer to fun and nightlife but still close to campus. But really, anywhere in the city is accessible via public transport in less than an hour. And the city is very bike friendly. I used to take the City Cat from New Farm to St. Lucia and bring my bike on it, use the free WiFi to do work on my way there, and then get some exercise on the way back riding my bike along the river. The trip there took ~ 45 minutes and the trip back ~20 (+plenty of sweat).

If you are the type of person that feels the compulsion to attend lectures and needs to study on campus in a library then I suggest you pick some place close to St. Lucia. If you are like me and work from home and prefer it that way, then go closer to your clinical school. But really, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. You can make just about any location work and being a nice, comfortable, affordable place should be your top priority. Also, most places in Brizzy are a 6 month lease and the typical penalty for breaking a lease is just 2 weeks rent. So while not ideal, you aren't locked in to your first location and can move if you find it truly unbearable for some reason.

Ok, thanks for the info! I just emailed MEP asking how many seats were left this week. I'll probably just make the financial "investment" just to be safe. Are you waiting to hear back from US medical schools, as well?

You probably should just plunk down the deposit and secure the seat. If you withdraw for any reason, even after classes start (but prior to a certain date around 2 months into it) you will get everything back less (IIRC) $1,000. Sure, a grand is nothing to sneeze at, but seems like a reasonable investment to ensure you are on track for what you want to do.

St. Lucia is a suburb of Brisbane. Just like West End, Toowong, New Farm, CBD, Woolloongabba, and so on. So you will be living and having classes in Brisbane no matter what. M1 year almost everything is held at the St. Lucia campus (the only exception is clinical coaching which will be at your clinical school and a smattering of other one-off things). M2 year most things will be held at your clinical school with a large minority of things held at the St. Lucia campus (the bulk of which are lectures, which I never attended during the latter half of M1 and entirety of M2 year, meaning that 90% of the things I did attend were at RBWH for me).

There is on-campus housing but it is small, crappy, expensive, and full of undergrads. One of the guys in my class did it for the first year and couldn't stand it. There are plenty of housing options in St. Lucia ver near the campus. Toowong is an excellent choice to be just a bit closer to fun and nightlife but still close to campus. But really, anywhere in the city is accessible via public transport in less than an hour. And the city is very bike friendly. I used to take the City Cat from New Farm to St. Lucia and bring my bike on it, use the free WiFi to do work on my way there, and then get some exercise on the way back riding my bike along the river. The trip there took ~ 45 minutes and the trip back ~20 (+plenty of sweat).

If you are the type of person that feels the compulsion to attend lectures and needs to study on campus in a library then I suggest you pick some place close to St. Lucia. If you are like me and work from home and prefer it that way, then go closer to your clinical school. But really, at the end of the day it doesn't really matter. You can make just about any location work and being a nice, comfortable, affordable place should be your top priority. Also, most places in Brizzy are a 6 month lease and the typical penalty for breaking a lease is just 2 weeks rent. So while not ideal, you aren't locked in to your first location and can move if you find it truly unbearable for some reason.
Thanks.
Clinical school = the 3 hospitals, right?
I'm looking for an apartment wihin walking distance to both the school and PA hospital, ideally. Which area should I look into?

$1000 is a lot of money for me in case I end up not going... Yes, I'm waiting to interview at US schools as well...

Thanks.
Clinical school = the 3 hospitals, right?
I'm looking for an apartment wihin walking distance to both the school and PA hospital, ideally. Which area should I look into?

Google maps is your friend. Being resourceful and finding information on your own rather than having others digest and spoon feed it to you will prove to be very helpful in medical school and for the rest of your career.

$1000 is a lot of money for me in case I end up not going... Yes, I'm waiting to interview at US schools as well...

It's also a small amount to ensure you go somewhere, considering that this is supposed to be the second largest investment you will ever make (next to a house, most likely) and your career for the rest of your life.

Why not see if you get the DO acceptance and if the class is full (maybe, maybe not who knows) and if it is reapply again for UQ-O. If you got in this year you should get in again next year. Why not wait out at least one cycle here.

Why not see if you get the DO acceptance and if the class is full (maybe, maybe not who knows) and if it is reapply again for UQ-O. If you got in this year you should get in again next year. Why not wait out at least one cycle here.
I said in another post that reapplying is not an option for me bc my MCAT will expire next year and plus UQO won't accept MCAT taken before 2014 for next cycle. Plus, the class is almost full according to what they told me...

No guarantee one will get a second acceptance, but also an option. Though apparently not in Maruko's specific case.

I said in another post that reapplying is not an option for me bc my MCAT will expire next year and plus UQO won't accept MCAT taken before 2014 for next cycle. Plus, the class is almost full according to what they told me...

I meant for @startjg .

Just got my interview today!! scheduled for september 25th. Doing in person cause I feel it's less awkward than Skype.

1)Chances post interview?
2)How quick did you get an offer after interviewing?
3)Any advice for interview and how to prepare would be appreciated!

Just to confirm there was only one link to schedule interview in the email, no separate link for Skype. So from my understanding the default is an in person interview and that you need to actually email them separately if you want to do Skype correct.

Just got my interview today!! scheduled for september 25th. Doing in person cause I feel it's less awkward than Skype.

Just to confirm there was only one link to schedule interview in the email, no separate link for Skype. So from my understanding the default is an in person interview and that you need to actually email them separately if you want to do Skype correct.
1/ pretty high. I feel that my interview was not good but I got accepted.
2/ about 2 weeks for me.
3/ Watch the video they emailed you about the interview; that's basically everything! ;)

There is no "default". You go online and sign up and pick either Skype or in-person interview.

1/ pretty high. I feel that my interview was not good but I got accepted.
2/ about 2 weeks for me.
3/ Watch the video they emailed you about the interview; that's basically everything! ;)

There is no "default". You go online and sign up and pick either Skype or in-person interview.

Thanks @Maruko ! I only saw one hyperlink and it confirmed me for an interview date in their automatic scheduler but it didn't say whether it was a Skype or in person. I will look into that tmrw! I'm assuming after interview your app finally gets sent to Queensland to be looked at? From what I understand only mededpath has seen my entire file so far.

I would imagine your only real concern would be the class filling before you hear back, unless there's something glaring on your application. My buddy just did it in person and he was very glad he did. Just be prepared for the 2 hour walk through BEFORE the interview. He said the buildup was brutal. The video covers almost all of the questions. I would say take that list of topics and make a list of as many examples/anecdotes under each one of them. Six minutes per question is a lot of time when you're nervous and speaking quickly. Utilize it! Also, practice. Listen to this guy.

I would imagine your only real concern would be the class filling before you hear back, unless there's something glaring on your application. My buddy just did it in person and he was very glad he did. Just be prepared for the 2 hour walk through BEFORE the interview. He said the buildup was brutal. The video covers almost all of the questions. I would say take that list of topics and make a list of as many examples/anecdotes under each one of them. Six minutes per question is a lot of time when you're nervous and speaking quickly. Utilize it! Also, practice. Listen to this guy.

thanks!

Decided to put my deposit down, but had some trouble purchasing my health insurance (doing it on my own through nib, much cheaper) because my credit card thought it was fraud. If I don't end up going, it wouldn't be the greatest to lose $1,000 (after refunds), but its better to be safe than sorry...wouldn't want to be stuck with nothing and have to live with my parents another year (love them, but I miss living with young adult roommates)

Decided to put my deposit down, but had some trouble purchasing my health insurance (doing it on my own through nib, much cheaper) because my credit card thought it was fraud. If I don't end up going, it wouldn't be the greatest to lose $1,000 (after refunds), but its better to be safe than sorry...wouldn't want to be stuck with nothing and have to live with my parents another year (love them, but I miss living with young adult roommates)
Wow, I didn't know about nib so basically I paid almost twice to UQ... Can nib be refunded to you if you end up not going?

Wow, I didn't know about nib so basically I paid almost twice to UQ... Can nib be refunded to you if you end up not going?
Yes, nib is refundable minus a $20 processing fee for refunds to foreign banks

Does anyone know how many spaces are still open in UQ-Ochsner 2016 entry class? Thanks!

Does anyone know how many spaces are still open in UQ-Ochsner 2016 entry class? Thanks!
I don't know the exact number, but MedEd said it was almost completely full

Thanks! Since they are still interviewing applicants, there must be still a few places open, I suppose.

Hey guys,
Afaik, the school of medicine is at Herston campus but classes are held at St. Lucia campus, right?

Hey guys,
as predicted from the booming of US medical schools, by 2020, how difficult do you think it will be to match into FM/IM residency as an IMG from UQ? i'm worried about not matching, and staying in Australia is not an option due to their stringent requirements...
How receptive are the UK and Canada to an MD degree from UQ-O?

Hey guys,
as predicted from the booming of US medical schools, by 2020, how difficult do you think it will be to match into FM/IM residency as an IMG from UQ? i'm worried about not matching, and staying in Australia is not an option due to their stringent requirements...
How receptive are the UK and Canada to an MD degree from UQ-O?
Unless you're a Canadian citizen/PR, Canada is out of the question. UK would require you to at least have an EU passport if you're not from the UK in your scenario.

I'll be down on Sept 25th too! Hoping there are still spots available...