UQ Medicine (Traditional) Cohort 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sexiersaxman

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Im a Canadian, who just got an offer from UQ Med a few days ago. I couldn't find a thread for the 2019 entry, so I thought id just start one! Wondering if any others have accepted or are considering accepting and if there is a specific facebook page/group to join. Additionally, if there are any current students in the program, any form of advice/tips are welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a Canadian as well, and just got my UQ offer a few days ago! I am considering accepting but want to check some details before I put down the deposit. Have you decided to accept? If so, what factors influenced your decision? Are you planning to practice in Australia or Canada/USA?

Same here, tips/advice and different perspectives are welcomed :D

Hey there,

I am a Taiwanese and I got my offer a few days ago too. Have you guys accepted the offer, if so, have you received the invoice already?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Can you let me know when you submitted your application? I submitted around June 3rd and was wondering how long it usually takes from submission to offer

Hello!

I'm from Singapore. I just received the invoice this morning, payment made. All that is left now is for UQ to revert to me with the COE.

Any updates from you guys?

Hey guys,

Can you let me know when you submitted your application? I submitted around June 3rd and was wondering how long it usually takes from submission to offer

I submitted near the end of May 2018. Hope that helps!

I am a Canadian as well, and just got my UQ offer a few days ago! I am considering accepting but want to check some details before I put down the deposit. Have you decided to accept? If so, what factors influenced your decision? Are you planning to practice in Australia or Canada/USA?

Hey! Yeah I decided to accept. I applied to UQ and USyd this year. I hear USyd responds mid-July regarding your interview date and interviews take place in August. Since UQ only gives us 42 days to respond, it wouldnt give me enough time to hear back from USyd aswell. Another factor was that it's cheaper to live in Brisbane than in Sydney :p.

I don't know where I will want to practice in the future. If you ask me now I would say Canada, because I am accustomed to life here in Canada. However a lot of things can change while in Australia, and my answer may change. I guess I'm quite flexible regarding my decisions on where I would practice in the future. I will probably write the US and Canadian exams to keep my options open.

Hey guys,

I submitted my application in early to mid May I believe, and I recieved my offer on June 10th.

Hey guys! I just accepted my offer as well. I'm from Singapore. And yep, same. I applied to both UQ and USyd, but it's going to take forever for USyd to get back, so decided on UQ.

Hello!

I'm from Singapore. I just received the invoice this morning, payment made. All that is left now is for UQ to revert to me with the COE.

Any updates from you guys?

The CoE should come within a week, if you've gotten your invoice.

Hey guys,

Hey! I submitted first week of May and I received my offer mid-June, so I would say give it a month to two months at least? Good luck!

Hey guys! I just accepted my offer as well. I'm from Singapore. And yep, same. I applied to both UQ and USyd, but it's going to take forever for USyd to get back, so decided on UQ.

The CoE should come within a week, if you've gotten your invoice.

I just got my CoE today :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I got my acceptance notification yesterday (although my letter was dated jun7th) I'm wondering if I were to accept the offer, pay the fee and then decide not to go will there be a problem in my future applications to UQ or other Aus universities? Or am I even allowed to accept then decide on another school?!

I'm a Canadian student and just want to see what other options I might have as I've also applied to other Aus universities as well but won't hear back until late fall

Hello I got my acceptance notification yesterday (although my letter was dated jun7th) I'm wondering if I were to accept the offer, pay the fee and then decide not to go will there be a problem in my future applications to UQ or other Aus universities? Or am I even allowed to accept then decide on another school?!

I'm a Canadian student and just want to see what other options I might have as I've also applied to other Aus universities as well but won't hear back until late fall

I had the same dilemma and am also a Canadian student.

From what I gather, if you are okay with losing a $11,000 deposit then you can still accept other schools. However, I do not think you are able to get a refund if you just want to accept another school. This has made the decision a lot more tough for me but I decided Queensland is also an amazing school and rejecting it just for the CHANCE at another school was not the best move.

If I am wrong, hopefully someone can correct me.

Reactions: 1 user
I had the same dilemma and am also a Canadian student.

From what I gather, if you are okay with losing a $11,000 deposit then you can still accept other schools. However, I do not think you are able to get a refund if you just want to accept another school. This has made the decision a lot more tough for me but I decided Queensland is also an amazing school and rejecting it just for the CHANCE at another school was not the best move.

If I am wrong, hopefully someone can correct me.

Thanks for your reply! I've clicked "accept" on the UQ portal but I didn't receive any invoice or any email confirming that it went through and to pay my fee... I know it takes 2 business days to get a CoE but should I at least get a notification? I don't want to lose my place just because my notification came late

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply! I've clicked "accept" on the UQ portal but I didn't receive any invoice or any email confirming that it went through and to pay my fee... I know it takes 2 business days to get a CoE but should I at least get a notification? I don't want to lose my place just because my notification came late

It took 3 business days to get my invoice

Reactions: 1 user
For Canadian applicants that have accepted or has more information, I'm just curious which bank you chose for LOC.

I'm currently looking at TD bank and CIBC.

RBC is only offering up to $150K.

Hey I have a question! If the school system starts later in the year in Australia, does that mean American/Canadians who want to match back to North America waste an extra year?

I believe UQ MD students graduate in December. They then start residency in July but the match day for the USA is March 15, so really it isn't a waste of an extra year. It's a "waste" of 3 months (december-march) i think.

It has been a week since I clicked accept on my UQ offer but I still haven't received my invoice yet. Is anyone else in the same situation?! I'm getting concerned...I've already emailed the school and they said they're processing the acceptances.

Hi there!
I got the offer last year but waited 6 weeks before accepting the offer since I wanted to see results from other schools, and the offer became a waitlist.
So this year I paid immediately after I got the offer. LOL
Also curious about eligibility of attending other Aus programs and if I could get the refund.

Hi there!
I got the offer last year but waited 6 weeks before accepting the offer since I wanted to see results from other schools, and the offer became a waitlist.
So this year I paid immediately after I got the offer. LOL
Also curious about eligibility of attending other Aus programs and if I could get the refund.

Hi Elina! Haha, good call.
So somewhere in the fine print, it says that we can choose to attend any other programs in AU and decline UQ, however we will only get refunded back the OHSC Health Insurance (as that is transferable to any other Uni at AU). So in effect, if you decide to not pick UQ, you'd be losing out on 8000 AUD.

Hey there,

I am a Taiwanese and I got my offer a few days ago too. Have you guys accepted the offer, if so, have you received the invoice already?

Thanks!

I'm also Taiwanese! Did you attend schools in North America or did you attend college in Taiwan? Can I ask about your GPA/MCAT/GAMSAT scores if possible, since I'm considering applying to USyd next year :)

Did anyone end up creating the group? I checked but couldn't find one...

Did anyone end up creating the group? I checked but couldn't find one...

I couldn't either. Only a Ochsner group is made so far it seems for the upcoming class, not the traditional.

would be nice to have a group, maybe I should just make an unofficial one?

I'm also Taiwanese! Did you attend schools in North America or did you attend college in Taiwan? Can I ask about your GPA/MCAT/GAMSAT scores if possible, since I'm considering applying to USyd next year :)
Hi there. I attended college in North America. Wrote the MCAT this year and got 90% percentile. 3.9 GPA on a 4.0 Scale. Got invited to interview at USyd but decided to go with UQ because of the cost and program.

Hope that helps

Hi there. I attended college in North America. Wrote the MCAT this year and got 90% percentile. 3.9 GPA on a 4.0 Scale. Got invited to interview at USyd but decided to go with UQ because of the cost and program.

Hope that helps
Yeah I heard its mostly Singaporeans and HKers up there and also lots of Canadians as well. Is it by any chance West Coast colleges like USC/UCLA? With stats that high I'm surprised you haven't applied to MD schools.

It seems all acceptances have been finalized for UQ traditional as there is now a waitlist.

Any facebook group made for our class of 2022? I only see the Ochsner fb page.

It seems all acceptances have been finalized for UQ traditional as there is now a waitlist.

Any facebook group made for our class of 2022? I only see the Ochsner fb page.
There's an Unofficial UQ 2022 with around 33 members. I've just requested to join that now.

Any of you start the next process after accepting the offer?

Have any of you already bought your flight tickets?

Going to start my visa application as well.

Hey fellow Singaporeans. I recently received my acceptance, how the heck are you guys intending to finance your education? To be honest, I applied for UQ without being sure that I have the finances to support a roughly SGD 500k education over 4 years and now that I need to accept the offer, I'm at a loss.

Hey guys, I just submitted my application today. I have applied to the US and Singapore as well and am a little concerned about the residency training prospect in Australia. Is it hard to obtain one as an international student (from Vietnam)?

Your background/nationality won't affect your chances if you graduate as an int'l student here. So far, the odds are very good that you would be able to stay, but depending on the state your school is in, you may have limited options. See other threads discussing this for more detail (e.g., priority as an in-state int'l student varies by state, such as ANU guaranteeing a spot in Canberra; Qld places about half its own int'l students independent of merit [with the remaining going out of state or placed via the federal program]; VIC I believe is all merit-based(?),...).

Your background/nationality won't affect your chances if you graduate as an int'l student here. So far, the odds are very good that you would be able to stay, but depending on the state your school is in, you may have limited options. See other threads discussing this for more detail (e.g., priority as an in-state int'l student varies by state, such as ANU guaranteeing a spot in Canberra; Qld places about half its own int'l students independent of merit [with the remaining going out of state or placed via the federal program]; VIC I believe is all merit-based(?),...).

I agree. If you stick around long enough or are committed enough, as with most things in life you will find a intern spot. Nothing is guaranteed, but the more flexible you are the better off you will be.

Post intern year, there is a very real need for RMO/HMO doctors and this shows no sign of letting up. The training positions are where you tend to run in to issues, but that's another topic all together.

Hi. I'm currently sitting on two offers from queensland and flinders and i'm not quite sure which one to commit to. I know that there's pros and cons about both schools but are there any specific insights/recommendations on which one i should go?

Do any of you guys know what the interview process is like? What kind of questions do they ask?

F
I believe UQ MD students graduate in December. They then start residency in July but the match day for the USA is March 15, so really it isn't a waste of an extra year. It's a "waste" of 3 months (december-march) i think.
So actually it might be a "waste" of a year. IMGs must have ECFMG certification BEFORE they can participate in the match. To be ECFMG certified, you must pass Step 1 and 2 AND have your degree. US med school graduates only need Step 1 and 2. So basically you can apply after graduation in November/December to meet the deadline of February for that match. However, applications open the September before and the interviews start in October. Then the Rank Order list is due in February... etc. Not saying it can't be done, but the odds are completely against you having an application for the July cycle completed in good time with the IMG stigma.