UQ MCAT requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canucker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I sent an email to the UQ Admissions office but I got back an automated response of some sort. Anyway, on the Admissions website it states that the MCAT is good for 2 years after writing. I wrote the MCAT back in August 2004; if I applied for January 2007 admission I'd have to submit my ACER app by June 2006. Would that be considered being within the 2 year timeframe? Thanks.

Cheers, canucker

Members don't see this ad.

canucker said:
I sent an email to the UQ Admissions office but I got back an automated response of some sort. Anyway, on the Admissions website it states that the MCAT is good for 2 years after writing. I wrote the MCAT back in August 2004; if I applied for January 2007 admission I'd have to submit my ACER app by June 2006. Would that be considered being within the 2 year timeframe? Thanks.

Cheers, canucker
If the auto-response was from someone from admissions (like "Hi, I'm not here") then it was not sent by a server daemon. I was told that there were university-wide problems with certain email systems sometime last week. At any rate, if from a server, then send the email again to ask them. If from an individual, they'll get back to you.

Thanks pitman, I'm going to send another email. BTW, do you happen to know the average MCAT score for this year's class? I know you mentioned an average score of 28 for a prior year's class (not sure which year though). And do you have any further news on the UQ formal affiliations with N. American schools? I recall from another post that you'd be able to tell us which schools were affiliated with UQ in the new year. Thanks.

Cheers, canucker

Members don't see this ad :)
canucker said:
Thanks pitman, I'm going to send another email. BTW, do you happen to know the average MCAT score for this year's class? I know you mentioned an average score of 28 for a prior year's class (not sure which year though). And do you have any further news on the UQ formal affiliations with N. American schools? I recall from another post that you'd be able to tell us which schools were affiliated with UQ in the new year. Thanks.

Cheers, canucker

Hey Canucker, I'm not too sure about the affiliations with canadian schools, but I just had an interesting conversation with a woman who was working as a GP in northern Ontario yesterday. She's fairly heavily involved with residency matching in Ontario, and has been meeting with Ujal Dosanj lately. In any case, she said something about the royal college of physicians and surgeons in Canada soon recognizing UQ grads uhh.. more (equal to canadian grads was her exact wording, but meh). She seemed to think that by the end of our degree, we'd have no problems at all returning directly to Canada from UQ. She's also advised her daughter (who is in my class) to attend UQ based on the info she had access to. It was a nice convo.

Meh, this is a bit anecdotal, I know, but it was nice hearing it from someone with a little power. Things are definitely getting easier, and the future looks good. As for the MCAT score, I think anything 30ish is considered a great mark.

Pitman probably knows more about the affiliations than I do. I've gotta pick his brain soon about the USMLE and other things north american.. maybe at the next keg. =)

Cheers.

Off2Oz said:
Hey Canucker, I'm not too sure about the affiliations with canadian schools, but I just had an interesting conversation with a woman who was working as a GP in northern Ontario yesterday. She's fairly heavily involved with residency matching in Ontario, and has been meeting with Ujal Dosanj lately. In any case, she said something about the royal college of physicians and surgeons in Canada soon recognizing UQ grads uhh.. more (equal to canadian grads was her exact wording, but meh). She seemed to think that by the end of our degree, we'd have no problems at all returning directly to Canada from UQ. She's also advised her daughter (who is in my class) to attend UQ based on the info she had access to. It was a nice convo.

Meh, this is a bit anecdotal, I know, but it was nice hearing it from someone with a little power. Things are definitely getting easier, and the future looks good. As for the MCAT score, I think anything 30ish is considered a great mark.

Pitman probably knows more about the affiliations than I do. I've gotta pick his brain soon about the USMLE and other things north american.. maybe at the next keg. =)

Cheers.

Wow, that's great news! I'd assume that would apply to all the Aus schools though? That's still encouraging regardless.

I scored a 29Q on the MCAT; do you think that would be competitive for admissions purposes? I have this paranoid notion that the average MCAT score for accepted students jumped to a 30 this year so I'm sort of biting my nails, plus the fact that I don't know if it's even valid for admissions purposes.

A few quick questions before I sign off: How are you liking Brisbane so far? Has the school year started yet?

Thanks for your help.
Cheers, canucker

Actually, according to the doc I was talking to, the college looks at schools independently, although I can't imagine that only UQ would be looked at. I'd like to know more about what she's talking about myself, so I'll be looking into it over the next little while.

Brisbane? It's awesome here. Laid back people, beautiful city, great weather. The programme started 2 weeks ago, and it's good stuff so far. My head's still spinning a little from trying to figure out how everything works, but things are getting clearer. I'm definitely glad I'm here. =)

Cheers.

canucker said:
Wow, that's great news! I'd assume that would apply to all the Aus schools though? That's still encouraging regardless.

I scored a 29Q on the MCAT; do you think that would be competitive for admissions purposes? I have this paranoid notion that the average MCAT score for accepted students jumped to a 30 this year so I'm sort of biting my nails, plus the fact that I don't know if it's even valid for admissions purposes.

A few quick questions before I sign off: How are you liking Brisbane so far? Has the school year started yet?

Thanks for your help.
Cheers, canucker

Off2Oz said:
she said something about the royal college of physicians and surgeons in Canada soon recognizing UQ grads.

Hi Off2Oz, could you please elaborate on what's meant by "recognizing" UQ grads? Would you be able to ask this GP whether this recognition extends to graduates of other Australian schools like UMelb and USyd?

Thank you very much! ;)

Ok, the word from Admissions is that they will consider all MCAT's written between August 2004 and April 2006 for January 2007 entry. Good stuff.

Off2Oz, I have a couple more questions for you: How are you finding the workload so far? Also, do you find the large class size dentrimental in any way (large PBL groups, crowded lecture halls, etc.)?

Concerning D30417995's first question: what affect do you think Ontario's announcement of an additional 104 first-year med seats will have? Do you have any thoughts on the impact that Tony Clement will have as health minister in regards to this issue? Hugely speculative questions, I know, but I'd value your opinion nonetheless. Thanks.

Cheers, canucker

D30417995 said:
Hi Off2Oz, could you please elaborate on what's meant by "recognizing" UQ grads? Would you be able to ask this GP whether this recognition extends to graduates of other Australian schools like UMelb and USyd?

Thank you very much! ;)

hehe. Wish I could elaborate. I'm looking into it though - I'll be heckling the girl in my class whose mother it was that "explained" the changes to me. I'll get back to you guys as I get more. She was fairly encouraging though.

I'll let off2oz investigate what he's heard (just keeping in mind that thus far it's hearsay) and will certainly be on his a55 to follow-up ;), but with regards to MCAT -- no, I do not know the MCAT scores for the incoming year. The 28 was last year. I have heard that overall competitiveness has increased slightly, though that's...hearsay once removed.

Even if increased, stats for schools don't jump overnight in the absense of a massive marketing campaign. I doubt the ave has jumped to 30 in one year, in particular.

But even if it has, traditionally the spread of scores has been pretty large, i.e., having a 29, even if it were below the ave, would be very competitive since very close to it. For the current year, for example, I've met some canucks in the past two weeks who *claim* a 25, 28, 34 and a 35.

In other words, I am confident that a 29 is quite competitive. If you don't stuff up the interview, I don't think you'll have any problem getting in for 2007.

I should be able to give the school names within the next couple of weeks when the affiliate agreements are finalized. I anticipate 5, possibly 6, east and west coast US.

UQ is also keenly aware of student interest in Canadian and other schools. I would personally like to see UT and McGill added within the next 2 years. UBC of course would be cool, but unlikely as it is notoriously stingy with its rotations.

pitman said:
I should be able to give the school names within the next couple of weeks when the affiliate agreements are finalized. I anticipate 5, possibly 6, east and west coast US.

UQ is also keenly aware of student interest in Canadian and other schools. I would personally like to see UT and McGill added within the next 2 years. UBC of course would be cool, but unlikely as it is notoriously stingy with its rotations.

The peds residency program at the University of Calgary has an exchange program with UQ available for senior residents; perhaps that's another school to pursue affiliations with at the undergrad level? :)

And interestingly enough, UBC only allows international students from the U.S., Great Britain, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa to complete visiting student electives during clerkship. Must be some sort of Commonwealth thing going on there.

Cheers, canucker

I think also virtually the only rotations they offered were in their rural scheme, but I haven't checked in over a year now. Hopefully things are changing.

Good to know about Calgary, will see if UQ has been looking into them.