UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Someone asked a question about where classes were and I remember from the tour that many of the biology courses are in the Robert Wood Johnson Pavilion or Leidy (same area in hamilton walk) and I believe the physics courses are held on S. 33rd St. in Rittenhouse and Chemistry is on S. 34th st.

That would've been me, thanks dendrite :)!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone! so i just found out about being accepted..... so my next issue will be finding out where to live- anyone have any suggestions?? i really dont want to stray too far from campus!

hii! livdi, could i ask you when you applied, how long you waited til you got an interview/got accepted as well as ur basic stats if u dont miind? sorry!iim sending my apps todayy and just wanted to know!thanks!!!

To anyone on this thread:

Do you believe it would be stupid to pass up UPenn's special sciences program for BU Master's in medical sciences or would you consider them evenly matched?

UPenn would save me about 25K also. However my I have a lot of undergrad credits so how weight can the post bac at UPenn have?

bump:)

Members don't see this ad :)
How many people apply to the special science program and how many get accepted?

You're welcome Nuggles, for those who are wondering about the time frame, for me it went like this: About 3 days after I submitted my application I got an email requesting an on campus interview for a set day and time. Of course I made sure to reply quickly and accept. My interview was about two weeks after that. After the interview was complete they told me that I would be emailed a decision within two weeks. Seemed like forever, but I got the email saying "admissions decision available" about a week after the interview (shorter than they had said), logged into my application and found out I was accepted!

hii! livdi, could i ask you when you applied, how long you waited til you got an interview/got accepted as well as ur basic stats if u dont miind? sorry!iim sending my apps todayy and just wanted to know!thanks!!!

No problem- i applied on a monday, and that friday i was offered an interview for about 2 weeks later on a monday, and i found out the next tuesday(an email asking me to log in). i just graduated from temple, with a bio major, gpa definitely needs improvement which is one of the reasons im doing the program. id say just apply, it wont be long before you hear back, and good luck! im sure you will be fine!

No problem- i applied on a monday, and that friday i was offered an interview for about 2 weeks later on a monday, and i found out the next tuesday(an email asking me to log in). i just graduated from temple, with a bio major, gpa definitely needs improvement which is one of the reasons im doing the program. id say just apply, it wont be long before you hear back, and good luck! im sure you will be fine!

wow that was a quick process :)
thanks so much!
how was the interview????

Hi all,

So I've been applying to programs and have already gotten into LaSalle and Drexel's post-bac programs. I am a recent Penn graduate with an average, not great GPA. I know the deadline for Penn's program is not until July 15th, and I was thinking I should apply, but I'm also very happy with Drexel's program. Do you think its worth giving Penn a shot? Are the advantages that decidedly better over Drexel? Or should I just go to Drexel?

Hi all,

So I've been applying to programs and have already gotten into LaSalle and Drexel's post-bac programs. I am a recent Penn graduate with an average, not great GPA. I know the deadline for Penn's program is not until July 15th, and I was thinking I should apply, but I'm also very happy with Drexel's program. Do you think its worth giving Penn a shot? Are the advantages that decidedly better over Drexel? Or should I just go to Drexel?

i'd apply, you've still got time. what do you have to lose, besides a little bit of cash. i know drexel's program is hailed as one of the best, so you can't go wrong there either.

wow that was a quick process :)
thanks so much!
how was the interview????

dress professional, and be prepared to talk about who you are as a person and why you are doing the program, why you want to be a doctor, how you came to that conclusion, etc, and anything on your resume.

oh and by the way, i was reading some previous posts, and i was wondering if anyone actually started the facebook group/page for this fall?

oh and by the way, i was reading some previous posts, and i was wondering if anyone actually started the facebook group/page for this fall?

there's already a facebook group for the fall 09 class that daisy0624 put up, just search upenn special sciences 09

Members don't see this ad :)
Couldnt disagree more - check the thread, people are hating on it right now

haven't looked at the thread, i've heard from friends that its a rigorous but fair program, but maybe things are changing

there's already a facebook group for the fall 09 class that daisy0624 put up, just search upenn special sciences 09

hey i cant seem to find the fb group, do i have to join the upenn network first?

hey i cant seem to find the fb group, do i have to join the upenn network first?

don't think so, just search "UPenn special sciences fall 09" and you should bring it up

hi, for application, did you guys have to provide volunteer hour certificate/proof kind of a form? i'm volunteering at this health clinic and they do provide forms and i was wondering if that was needed. thanks!

bump number 2.....being patient

hi, for application, did you guys have to provide volunteer hour certificate/proof kind of a form? i'm volunteering at this health clinic and they do provide forms and i was wondering if that was needed. thanks!

i don't think it's needed, I can tell you that in my application I didn't get a form for proof of volunteering, probably putting down a phone number and contact would work just fine

hating on the Drexel IMS program or the PMED program?

IMS specifically from what i remember from the thread, and I dont remember about PMED.
After reading what I have, you couldnt pay me to do it

HWPO - no-one has answered, because you have discussed this at length within this thread and other threads.

i don't think it's needed, I can tell you that in my application I didn't get a form for proof of volunteering, probably putting down a phone number and contact would work just fine

oh oops! i just submitted the apps. i didn't put any contact # :( will it be ok? or should i try to send them additional info?

oh oops! i just submitted the apps. i didn't put any contact # :( will it be ok? or should i try to send them additional info?

I would not worry about it. I wrote my experience on my resume that was included in the application. After that, the interviewer asked a few questions pertaining to specific volunteering opportunities that I have had in the past. Most of it is more take your word for it than providing proof.

brainimaging, i wouldn't stress about it, i mean, how often do you think programs take the time to get in contact with someone about a student's volunteer hours, haha; good luck with the application process by the way

thought i'd bump this thread back up to the top..

have you guys been signing up for classes? right now i have cancer cell bio, developmental bio, and histology. should I be taking 3 or 4 c.u.?

I've got 4.5 right now.

Physics (1.5), Histology (1), Developmental Bio (1), Microbio (1) at the moment which hopefully will be swapped for Clinical EM (1)

I registered for first-year chemistry and biology. I also wanted to do physics, but the advisor I spoke with advised against doing that :(. I have a feeling I will be having a lot of free time over the next year

I registered for first-year chemistry and biology. I also wanted to do physics, but the advisor I spoke with advised against doing that :(. I have a feeling I will be having a lot of free time over the next year

Me, too. My advisor did not think it was a wise decision to take full time science courses with this being my first semester of full time sciences. I was a little disappointed, but think that this may be for the best.

I just got an invitation to interview. First of all, how hard do you guys think that is to get? Do they pretty much give everyone an interview?

Second question: I'm in CA. Is it worth flying to Philly for an in-person interview or should I request a phone interview? I definitely don't want to hurt my chances in anyway but it would also be nice not to have to drop a few hundred for a flight if I can get the same results.

I've been reading a lot of your posts. Good stuff. Thanks for sharing everyone.

I just got an invitation to interview. First of all, how hard do you guys think that is to get? Do they pretty much give everyone an interview?

Second question: I'm in CA. Is it worth flying to Philly for an in-person interview or should I request a phone interview? I definitely don't want to hurt my chances in anyway but it would also be nice not to have to drop a few hundred for a flight if I can get the same results.

First time poster. I just found this great thread so I am trying to catch up. I can't wait to meet all of you this Fall and get started!

I did the phone interview and got in just fine. I have heard that most if not all of those who get an interview get accepted. So the phone interview was not a disadvantage for me. I believe 25% of applicants receive an interview from what I remember Sally Cardy saying, and around 600 apply (someone asked that earlier).

RobFlanker:

I also am taking Microbiology. However there are 2 different courses being offered: one from LPS, BIO 175, and the other earlier in the day, BIO 275 which costs extra.

Which one are you taking? The BIO 175 description says it can't be used for biology majors and I am worried that it is too introductory. What is your opinion on the matter.

Last edited:

Like Ras11, I did a phone interview and got in as well. It's unlikely a phone interview is going to hurt your chances that much, if at all.

If you do plan on flying over anyways, you could use that time to look for potential housing; that would probably help justify the cost a tiny bit.

Good luck!

Livdi: I had to join the upenn network first, then the facebook group would come up if you use the search terms penn special science fall 2009.

Think I'll join in on the convo re: class schedules. I work full time in Philly so I will be taking 2 classes: Physics I (definate) and Developmental Neurobiology (which I am trying to swap for histology per recommendation of my advisor)

Sofreakedout: It is certain that not everyone gets interviewed so be flattered that they like your numbers and essays enough to spend more time on you. That being said, a phone interview will cover the same questions as an in person interview and based on your distance from campus it would be very acceptable to request one. That being said, there are distinct advantages to flying here for your interview, you get to see the campus,meet a current student and ask questions face to face, also meet some faculty members and the director. Perhaps most importantly, you get a feel for the city and whether or not you'd like to spend a couple years of your life here or not. If you have already been to philly than thats probably a non issue but wasn't sure about your experience so thought it was worth pointing out. So I agree with Nuggles that a trip could help you get a jump on housing and also allow you to see how the school and program will fit your expectations. When I interviewed there were people from Wisconsin and California who thought it was worth making the trip out.

Ras - we are meant to take the night class as thats where seats our specifically saved for us. The regular undergrads have to pay extra and receive special permission to take the night class, and thus we have to do the same (maybe minus the permission) to take the day class. I am planning on taking the night class.

Hope that helps

dendrite, i'd definitely try getting into histo, the teacher who teaches it from what I've heard is very good.

sofreakedout, either way I think you'll be safe, if you're applying to other programs, I would personally go to Philly and check it out to compare the area and the program with that of other schools.

regarding the schedule, not really liking the fact that all my classes are at night, with the exception of an afternoon class, but what can you do. just signed up for micro, anyone know anything about the cancer cell bio class, i vaguely remember the student leading the tour mentioning it

Ras - we are meant to take the night class as thats where seats our specifically saved for us. The regular undergrads have to pay extra and receive special permission to take the night class, and thus we have to do the same (maybe minus the permission) to take the day class. I am planning on taking the night class.

Hope that helps

Thanks for your input.
Yes I am aware, part of description of the program is that you may take day classes also, that is if you are willing to pay the extra money (which I most likely am not bc it is double). People with excess science classes may need to take this option, a category I fall into.

I am concerned that the 100 level micro is too introductory since the description states "Not intended for Bio majors"

Last edited:
Hello:

I was recently admitted to Penn's Post-Baccalaureate Pre-Health Program for Fall 2009. Upon reviewing the course catalogue for LPS, I noticed that the classes were all at night! Is it possible to take day classes?

Thanks!!

Yes, but you pay extra. RAS says its double, I dunno I haven't looked at my catalog

I am sure many of you have heard of Harvard Extension Program's HCP that is similar to UPenn's pre-health program.

I was just curious what made you choose UPenn over HCP being that HCP is open admission and all? Would you rank one over the other?

If I get a lot of responses I will start a new thread.

=) hiii! hey guys! i just found out that i got an interview! woohoo!
i was just wondering, does the school help out with the travel cost at all? by anyyyy chance? i didn't think so- but JUST in case
also, could any one give me advices on their interview experiences? :) thanks sooooo much!!!!!!!

i don't think they help out with travel costs, from what I've heard, you might be able to get a discount at a hotel in the area though, I'd call the office next week and see how they can help.

interview honestly isn't that bad, it's pretty laid back, simple questions like "why do you want to be a doctor/why is upenn a good fit for you, etc." don't be stressed out, if you have an interview that's a good sign, best of luck!

I was just curious what made you choose UPenn over HCP being that HCP is open admission and all? Would you rank one over the other?

I flipped a coin. It was tails. :)

Edit:
Ras11, many of my professors spoke very highly of Harvard Extension. So I have no doubt that HES does a great job of preparing its students. Another big draw of HES is obviously its low tuition costs. However, to my knowledge, the HES program has more of a hands-off a-la-carte structure to it. Because of this, I ultimately chose UPenn over HES. I believe that a formal, more structured program would be more beneficial to me at this stage. However, in terms of the quality of your education, I really doubt one program would be better than the other. So in short, you can't really go wrong with either program, but each program does have its own distinct advantages and disadvantages.

Last edited:
I was reading through this post and I just have a few questions left.

I got an interview this past week and I live in california. I have a midterm during my interview time so I was wondering if they change interview times at all.

second do they put any emphasis on me actually flying to them, or is an over the phone interview just as fine. I dont mind flying over but saving that money right now would be alot better if it wont hurt my chances.

and lastly what types of questions do they usually ask during the interview?

I was reading through this post and I just have a few questions left.

I got an interview this past week and I live in california. I have a midterm during my interview time so I was wondering if they change interview times at all.

second do they put any emphasis on me actually flying to them, or is an over the phone interview just as fine. I dont mind flying over but saving that money right now would be alot better if it wont hurt my chances.

and lastly what types of questions do they usually ask during the interview?

Take a look at posts 230 through 233 and post 241

rather a silly question..but just very nervous about this interview thing--- how formal did you guys dress for the interview? (ladies?)
did you guys wear a suit? i don't own one-
oh also, how much information on the program should i be aware of?

Last edited:
rather a silly question..but just very nervous about this interview thing--- how formal did you guys dress for the interview? (ladies?)

I would dress up as formally as you can. You'd rather overdress than underdress in situations like these. As for information about the program, just go over whatever is written on the site. For example, if you're a career changer, you should know whether you're planning to do the 1 year or 2 year program. More generally though, you should know when you plan on applying to medical schools etc.

Having said that, I wouldn't worry too much about it; the interviewer I had never quizzed me on how much I knew about the program (and I doubt yours would either!). Just be as relaxed as possible and answer their questions as honestly as you can. Also, be sure to prepare one or two questions of your own, so you can ask them at the end of the interview! Good luck brainimaging, let us know how it goes!

I wore a suit to my interview because I think it looks professional. Plus, I have a friend that was interviewing for medical school, which you wear suits to as well. I justified the cost by saying it could pull double duty for when I apply to medical schools. There were two or three other girls at my interview that wore different things. One other I think had a suit. Two of them had nice slacks and shirts on for their interview.

As for the program, as nuggles said, it is very minimal. My interviewer asked why Penn over other programs, and which program are you pursuing (1 or 2 year). Be ready to justify the one year if you have never taken real science courses before. My interviewer asked me several questions about why I wanted to take the one year considering the classes are hard, and different from my liberal arts background. FYI, it may change later on if you get in when you speak to an advisor. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
At my interview, all but one of the guys wore a suit. All the girls were wearing professional enough clothing. There was only one guy who kinda stood out.

Wear a suit, play it safe

Does anyone know how the linkage timeline works for RWJMS and PCOM? I have read the documents on the website. I am very confused.:( (With submission, nomination, etc.)

It seems like the deadline has already passed for us to be considered for Fall 2010 med school matriculation.

If I am reading it wrong, what is the latest someone can take the MCAT to be considered?

what types of questions are asked during the interview? what is the process like?