UPenn Post Bacc Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, does anyone know anything about the vcu Pre-medical post bac program in relation to the UPenn special science? I got into both and am trying to decide which one to accept. I know UPenn has the linkage programs, but I don't think I qualify b/c I had a low undergrad GPA (3.0). I'm a VA resident so I would like to know how the UPenn program looks to VA schools. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The linkage programs are UPenn are based on your MCAT and GPA in the program. There is only one that I can remember off the top of my head to UMDNJ-RWJ for SSP students. They require >3.6 in the program, and a 10 in each section of the MCAT

I emailed an individual in the upenn post bacc prehealth program and they said all classes in this program are offered in the evening and on the weekends. I find that ridiculous, does anyone else? I luckily did not accept this offer yet as this will most certainly turn me away.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is that ridic? It allows people to work during the day or volunteer or do research.

It made no difference to me as the other options I am looking at, also have night classes. So its not like I win-or-lose at any of the programs.

You can take classes during the day - you'll just pay more

I emailed an individual in the upenn post bacc prehealth program and they said all classes in this program are offered in the evening and on the weekends. I find that ridiculous, does anyone else? I luckily did not accept this offer yet as this will most certainly turn me away.

The classes for post bacs are in the evening and on the weekends. Most of them are only once per week. However, if day classes are that important to you, you can pay extra to take courses during the day with the undergrads. Keep in mind, that a lot of post bac students are working and/or volunteering, which makes night classes convenient.

This is why they make different post bac programs. Each individual needs to decide what program is the right fit for them. I am excited to take my post bac courses through the University of Pennsylvania, but it is not for everyone. I hope that you find the right fit for you in whatever program that might be.

Thanks for the replies...i just feel that for the money you pay, they should have the flexibility to allow you to take day or evening classes...and charging you extra for it, I find ridic....hehe...just my two cents...

Anyway, I am deciding between this and Columbia's program. Any ideas? I need help deciding. Heard anything about Columbia's program? Success rates, etc. in comparison to penns?

Thanks!!

Thanks for the replies...i just feel that for the money you pay, they should have the flexibility to allow you to take day or evening classes...and charging you extra for it, I find ridic....hehe...just my two cents...

Anyway, I am deciding between this and Columbia's program. Any ideas? I need help deciding. Heard anything about Columbia's program? Success rates, etc. in comparison to penns?

Thanks!!

I have heard a lot of bad things about Columbia's program. Their program has a very high attrition rate and I have heard that that is due to students being forced out of the program due to their grades. A friend of mine is doing her masters in finance at Columbia and she said that the masters program operates in a similar way; i.e. if you don't get above a certain grade during your first few semesters there, you're asked to leave.

Now granted I know nothing about the quality of the education at Columbia, but I doubt it's worth paying to have to deal with this added level of stress.

As for success rates, I believe both Columbia and UPenn have success rates over 90%; the UPenn program doesn't come with the high attrition rate though.

SAEBrodel, things in fact worked out nicely-I told my advisor that I couldn't get Histology through the online registration process and she got me in somehow...so that was awesome. Man, now that registration is complete I can't wait til that first bill gets here. :)
Is anyone else taking BIOL 306 or Physics at night?
Agree with everyones suggestions on the formal attire. Play it safe and wear a suit. You don't want to be the most underdressed person there and a suit will guarantee that you are not that person.

MSS: I have a friend in Columbia's post bacc program...I'll find out and let you know.

The money you pay for the post-bacc at UPenn is almost exactly half of that for day classes.....so you are actually getting a great deal by taking night classes IMO.

Like others have said, night classes allow you to strengthen you volunteering, ECs, and clinical experience during the day which is when most of these opportunities exist.

Dendrite: I am currently enrolled in Histology, but I may have a change in schedule. I want to get in the class that Ren teaches. Hopefully they can force me in like they did for you.

to add to the convo, it is nice that the classes are MUCH cheaper than what we would have to pay for undergrad classes during the day, but I too am not a fan of night classes, simply because they cram a week's worth of info into a single day (3 hours in a row, sheesh!) but then again, a lot of the classes are small, which should add to better professor interaction, and overall a better time in class.

on a different subject, i know some people have been looking around for housing in the area. i myself haven't had the chance to swing up to philly because I've been busy studying for the mcat (july 17th), but I'm planning on going up there the following week. in looking at the prices, they're pretty steep for 1 br. are there any guys going in the fall for the SSP that might be interested in looking for a 2 BR+ apartment? send me a pm if ur interested

btw, best of luck to everybody interviewing

quick q,
is anyone repeating intro science classes (bio or chem)due to poor undergrad grades? (C)

Is anyone else taking BIOL 306 or Physics at night?
No idea what Bio 306 is without looking at course catalog - and I'm taking Physics at night.

SAE - steer clear of University City Housing, I saw there places and they were absolutely terrible. Not worth the trip IMO

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies about phone interviews RAS11 (and nothing like some statistics to make you feel good), Nuggles, Dendrite10, and SAEbrodel.

Requested a phone interview and it actually moved up my interview date. Pretty excited, hope I get to join the '09 class with the rest of you.:xf:

Luckily I have been to Philly and been on Penn's campus so not going on-campus for the interview won't be too bad.

Read some comments about housing. Yeah, it's more expensive than I thought it would be for Philly. Is anyone having any luck finding a place?

I have heard that most if not all of those who get an interview get accepted. So the phone interview was not a disadvantage for me. I believe 25% of applicants receive an interview from what I remember Sally Cardy saying, and around 600 apply (someone asked that earlier).

AMCAS shows 51-100 as the enrollment number for UPenn's program. I guess only about two thirds of the 25% who apply and get interviews actually get it.

haha sorry, my mind has been working on that math throughout the day without me even knowing it, good ol' brain

Oh my bad, BIOL306 is Histology...thursday night class and as far as I know there's only one section of it. Anyone else taking it?

AMCAS shows 51-100 as the enrollment number for UPenn's program. I guess only about two thirds of the 25% who apply and get interviews actually get it.

haha sorry, my mind has been working on that math throughout the day without me even knowing it, good ol' brain

I am not sure how many are enrolled. Is it between 50 and 100 for both the core science and specialized science combined or for each program? And I believe it was around 600 applicants for both programs...i am not sure...try calling the office and asking if you are concerned.

I wouldn't worry too much about the numbers. If you show that you are committed and focused during the interview I almost guarantee you will get accepted. That is just my opinion tho.

Awesome! Yeah, I'm super excited about Histo: Sounds so interesting...is there a lab with it? I thought I saw some lab fee is tacked onto regular tuition. Is anyone else taking Physics who doesn't have a calculus background? I've taken college courses in Stat and Algebra but never bothered with calc.

I took calc in 2003 so its been a while for me. Which physics lab are you taking? I've got one of the Monday ones, one after class IIRC

I'm scheduled for the Monday Physics lab from 4-6. Being in class til 10 at night wasn't so appealing with my work schedule and commute, so the early lab seemed like the better option for me but we'll see how it goes I guess.

Fair point dendrite. I worked on the premise that i'd rather spend 4-6pm studying, then 8-10pm. I work better during the day, so I felt i'd just be spending 8-10pm being unproductive so I wanted 4-6pm for other things.

Commute? You planning on living outside the city?

Rob-that makes sense, esp. if you are able to spend your daytime hours studying. I'll be commuting to Roxborough so it'll tack on another half hour probably if u consider walking to the parking lot from class etc. I had a class one day a week til 10 when I was in grad school. With work early the next day, it sucks. I've lived in center city before and chose not to move back. I looked in Powelton Village but heard reports from residents that the Drexel students become really obnoxious as of recently and there have been incidents where security were called to vandalism, thefts, and other violations re personal property around there. Its just easier being a car owner in other parts of the city, I have too much going on to deal with that kind of stuff.

Wow, just got off the phone with my Penn interviewer. I felt like my interviewer wanted to get off the phone ASAP the moment he picked up. :( Not sure how to feel about the whole thing. All the questions were more like fact checks ("so you graduated from X with a Y degree?" "yes" "and you're now doing Z?" "Yes") because he asked them abruptly, not in a manner that invited me to talk about it beyond just verifying what he said. Even when he did ask questions that left a little room for elaborating, I felt rushed to finish because he just seemed inpatient.

Grrrrrrreat. I guess we'll find out in a week or so. *sigh*

Wow, just got off the phone with my Penn interviewer. I felt like my interviewer wanted to get off the phone ASAP the moment he picked up. :( Not sure how to feel about the whole thing. All the questions were more like fact checks ("so you graduated from X with a Y degree?" "yes" "and you're now doing Z?" "Yes") because he asked them abruptly, not in a manner that invited me to talk about it beyond just verifying what he said. Even when he did ask questions that left a little room for elaborating, I felt rushed to finish because he just seemed inpatient.

Grrrrrrreat. I guess we'll find out in a week or so. *sigh*

That sounds somewhat similar to what I experienced. It seems like it was just a protocol that needed to done with from my interviewer. Anyways I wouldn't worry, you are in IMO.

SOFREAKEDOUT-
I wouldn’t worry about that too much. I had and identical experience and I was accepted.

**For those of you looking for housing:
I've lived in Phila for the past several years so I'd be willing to answer any housing questions from out of towners.
Generally though, Queen Village, Graduate Hospital, and University City (obviously) are the most affordable and convenient neighborhoods to live in. Graduate hospital is especially popular w/ the medical students and residents at Penn because of its close proximity to UCity and Center City.
I found my apartment on craigslist but also saw some decent listings in Philadelphia Weekly.
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/
Click on real estate and then rent search

Also, the excitement of being accepted started to fade after I realized I'd have to find a way to pay for it. Is it too forward to ask how others are planning to finance this?

SOFREAKEDOUT-
I wouldn’t worry about that too much. I had and identical experience and I was accepted.

**For those of you looking for housing:
I've lived in Phila for the past several years so I'd be willing to answer any housing questions from out of towners.
Generally though, Queen Village, Graduate Hospital, and University City (obviously) are the most affordable and convenient neighborhoods to live in. Graduate hospital is especially popular w/ the medical students and residents at Penn because of its close proximity to UCity and Center City.
I found my apartment on craigslist but also saw some decent listings in Philadelphia Weekly.
http://www.philadelphiaweekly.com/
Click on real estate and then rent search

Also, the excitement of being accepted started to fade after I realized I'd have to find a way to pay for it. Is it too forward to ask how others are planning to finance this?

ALL LOANS BABY!!! I am in it for the long haul now :) or actually :eek:. What is another another 30 to 40K tacked onto undergrad loans and eventual medical school. I just don't think too much about it and worry about working hard now and the rest will take care of itself.

ALL LOANS BABY!!! I am in it for the long haul now :) or actually :eek:. What is another another 30 to 40K tacked onto undergrad loans and eventual medical school. I just don't think too much about it and worry about working hard now and the rest will take care of itself.

I have loans as well, but just got a bill for the semester that has me stressed out. I am going part time, so I know next year I will have to pay that amount outright. Oh well, I'll figure it out!!

Hey Everyone, Join the Facebook Group for this Thread!
First, add the UPENN network
Then,
Search:
UPENN SPECIAL SCIENCES FALL 2009

has anyone heard anything about the RWJ linkage for special sciences?? i would love to do it, but ive heard its not guaranteed. anyone know how people are chosen (considering they have the 3.6 and 30 mcat)?

has anyone heard anything about the RWJ linkage for special sciences?? i would love to do it, but ive heard its not guaranteed. anyone know how people are chosen (considering they have the 3.6 and 30 mcat)?

I am not sure how many are chosen for the program, but I would imagine it is competitive considering it is the only Special Sciences linkage, not to mention pre-health students compete for the spaces as well. NONE of the linkages are guaranteed because one must maintain a certain GPA and get a certain MCAT in order to keep their space in the program.

One must begin by applying to UPenn LPS for a nomination to the program. After one is nominated I think you have to complete an application and interview. I am not sure the exact process. The nomination deadlines, I believe, passed on May 1 for this year. The LPS office would have the best information on linking for you. If you can, I think it is worth a shot because it will do away with the gap year.

Hello

Do I receive an acceptance letter in the mail? I received my electronic acceptance online but have been waiting for something in the mail as well. I received electronic notice that I was accepted to the prehealth program last week. Thanks!!

Adding on to what Ali said, here's a link to the LPS website about linkages (though I'm sure you've probably already looked at it since you knew the 3.6GPA and 30MCAT requirement):
http://www.sas.upenn.edu/lps/postbac/premed/current/linkage_programs

I'm not really sure how the whole "fall nominations" thing works though because if you started the program in the fall you'd only have one semester's worth of grades...maybe that's just when the process starts, not really sure.

Hello

Do I receive an acceptance letter in the mail? I received my electronic acceptance online but have been waiting for something in the mail as well. I received electronic notice that I was accepted to the prehealth program last week. Thanks!!

There is an acceptance in the mail that includes a fall catalog. It took a bit to come so be patient.

does anyone know if living on-campus is an option for SSP students?
also, is anyone bringing their cars? any info on having a car in philly???

Im living off campus with my car, and apparently its street parking from what I heard

right now, I'm also wondering whether or not to bring my car, since driving back to va would be nice every once in a while, biggest thing I worry about is having my car broken into (had it done once already...), for anyone that's been checking out apartments, are there any that has closed parking available? i've only found a few on craigslist, but they are astronomically expensive.

Hey guys,

I've been following the thread for a while and found out a couple days ago I got accepted to the SSP! I know it's been mentioned a couple times in the thread, but I assume most people are finding places to live on craigslist? Any guys looking for a roommate?

Housing in Philly sucks. Ignore University Housing. Whilst there housing is in nice neighbourhoods, their apartments are horrific.

1. How long after they receive your application and all required documents does it take for you to hear if you have an interview or not?

2. Is on-campus housing (e.g. dormitory) available to us during the school year? If so, how does one apply for it?

Thanks.

1) Uh 2 weeks-Month to hear about an interview, and then 2 weeks for a decision

2) I dont think so

So unfortunately I am just discovering the UPenn post-bac program now...I know the deadline for Fall admission is July 15....Do you think I should go ahead and apply?

I guess a better question would be: Does anyone know what the deal is with the Spring admission? (is that separate from fall admission or do they only take ppl if there are seats left over from the Spring?)

I'm just trying to figure out if I should start scrambling to get things together and submit my app or not.

So unfortunately I am just discovering the UPenn post-bac program now...I know the deadline for Fall admission is July 15....Do you think I should go ahead and apply?

I guess a better question would be: Does anyone know what the deal is with the Spring admission? (is that separate from fall admission or do they only take ppl if there are seats left over from the Spring?)

I'm just trying to figure out if I should start scrambling to get things together and submit my app or not.

Just call up UPenn and ask for Sally Cardy in the Pre-Health Post-Bacc and ask her what she thinks but IMO go ahead and submit the application ASAP, I think you should be fine.

i'd try and apply now, if it doesn't work out for the fall, you can always come in the spring, best of luck

i thought the spring semester is only for specialized program?

I feel like I applied too late... just finished a few days ago. well not really because 1/3 recommenders submitted thus far. I have some time till JUly 15 but I worry that it has been too close to deadline and spots have already filled up... any inputs?

Also, what is the cost like for U Penn post bac? per credit? how much?

thanks!!

i thought the spring semester is only for specialized program?

I feel like I applied too late... just finished a few days ago. well not really because 1/3 recommenders submitted thus far. I have some time till JUly 15 but I worry that it has been too close to deadline and spots have already filled up... any inputs?

Also, what is the cost like for U Penn post bac? per credit? how much?

thanks!!

The spring semester is for specialized science. I think that it is worth a shot to apply for this year. The website still states that they are taking applications, which is a good sign. Anyway, cost is per course unit, which is equal to about 3 credit hours. I believe it is $2,595.00 for 1 course unit, and a full schedule with 4 course units is around $11,000.00. Good Luck!!

Howdy,

Does anyone have a clue as to which post-bacc is looked upon more favorably by medical school admissions: UPenn's Special Sciences program or Harvard's Health Careers Program?

I am deciding between the two, but Harvard's program is much less expensive so I am leaning towards it.

Thanks,
Refugee

They are completely diff.

The HCP is designed for those who need to do the pre-reqs (similar to the UPenn Pre-Health program). Whereas the SSP at UPenn is designed for those who have done the pre-reqs but want higher level sciences courses.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Hey guys,

I've been following the thread for a while and found out a couple days ago I got accepted to the SSP! I know it's been mentioned a couple times in the thread, but I assume most people are finding places to live on craigslist? Any guys looking for a roommate?

Congrats Lakersfan!! (I'm still waiting to hear back :p so it must feel good to no longer be in the hot seat)

They are completely diff.

The HCP is designed for those who need to do the pre-reqs (similar to the UPenn Pre-Health program). Whereas the SSP at UPenn is designed for those who have done the pre-reqs but want higher level sciences courses.

I think you are comparing apples and oranges.

Dear robflanker,

You happen to be wrong. The HCP at Harvard is for both students without a science background needing to take med school pre-reqs and ALSO for students WITH a science background needing to boost their credentials before applying to med school. This is clearly stated on the HCP website:
http://www.extension.harvard.edu/hcp/

Additionally, the amount of upper level specialized science classes available is moderate to large: http://www.extension.harvard.edu/2009-10/courses/mdsc.jsp

Therefore, it is obvious the HCP at Harvard can be taken as analagous to the Special Sciences post-bac at Penn.

Yours,
Refugee