UPenn Applicants c/o 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone who applied with a wildlife focus heard anything? I see a lot of small or large animal business going on here, but any wild ones out there? I'm still glad I haven't been rejected yet! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UPenn is still sending out rejections. I would assume that if they had a rejection pile for people who haven't gotten an interview yet, those rejections would just go out with all the others, instead of waiting until the end of the entire cycle. Does anyone think that those who have neither received an interview nor been accepted, but still haven't heard back, are still in the running?

UPenn is still sending out rejections. I would assume that if they had a rejection pile for people who haven't gotten an interview yet, those rejections would just go out with all the others, instead of waiting until the end of the entire cycle. Does anyone think that those who have neither received an interview nor been accepted, but still haven't heard back, are still in the running?

I am one of the ones waiting ever-so-patiently to hear anything (I'm mixed animal). The way I see it, if we were OUT of the running, we'd get our rejection letter. Adcoms wouldn't waste their desk space by keeping applications on board that they know won't get put through. In other words, yes of course we still have a shot :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am one of the ones waiting ever-so-patiently to hear anything (I'm mixed animal). The way I see it, if we were OUT of the running, we'd get our rejection letter. Adcoms wouldn't waste their desk space by keeping applications on board that they know won't get put through. In other words, yes of course we still have a shot :)

I'm also mixed animal!! I wonder if our preference then has something to do with our application timetable...good luck :)

Has anyone who applied with a wildlife focus heard anything? I see a lot of small or large animal business going on here, but any wild ones out there? I'm still glad I haven't been rejected yet! :)

I applied with wildlife focus too, and haven't heard anything. Though I'm not sure whether your focus area affects your interview date or not (except those who are large animal). Penn seems to like to keep their processes somewhat mysterious...

I'm also mixed animal!! I wonder if our preference then has something to do with our application timetable...good luck :)

Gah you guys just made me feel SO MUCH BETTER! I am also mixed and absolutely IN LOVE with Penn and was starting to get worried because I haven't heard a peep.

Side note, I did call the Admissions Office last week and spoke to Mr. Keiter to make sure they had my Fall grades. He said to email them a summary of my research and new job and they would add all this info to my file. If anybody has a question I think email is the best way to go unless its something easy like checking on transcripts, he was very willing to help me over the phone for that.

Luck to everybody, hope more people get good news soon :luck: :xf:

I applied with wildlife focus too, and haven't heard anything. Though I'm not sure whether your focus area affects your interview date or not (except those who are large animal). Penn seems to like to keep their processes somewhat mysterious...

I just got back from Penn. On Friday, they said the whole interview dates with particular interests thing is mostly a myth. They try to keep one date for people who are only interested in large animal (not mixed) and haven't been to the New Bolton center before (which I think is the first or second weekend in Feb). If you indicated anything else as an interest: mixed, wildlife, research, small, etc., you could be interviewed on any of the other dates. On Friday, there were several people who had indicated wildlife as a primary interest.

If you don't update the adcom about what you've been doing this semester (other than fall grades) do you think that's a bad thing? I just feel like at this point they have all my information and what i'm doing right now isn't going to completely change their minds about me...

If you don't update the adcom about what you've been doing this semester (other than fall grades) do you think that's a bad thing? I just feel like at this point they have all my information and what i'm doing right now isn't going to completely change their minds about me...

Doing so is only going to help you. To not do so, means you aren't even going to take the chance at possibly pushing yourself ahead of someone for an interview. What do you have to lose really? Admissions is a crazy, unpredictable process really. I know from experience.

This is possibly a dumb question, but when you say "update the adcom" you just mean get in touch with admissions through email or something? (there isn't like a special web portal or anything?)

I am asking because I got a phone call from admissions at UPenn yesterday, and a woman asked me if I 'was still interested' in Penn because I got accepted at Cornell (Idk how they knew, or why it matters)... and then that was it, no news of an interview! I am still waiting to hear if I'll get one, but the woman didn't sound too cheery... I kind of got a bad feeling about the whole interaction. Maybe I was supposed to update something and failed to do that? Eeek. Penn's admissions process is such a mystery to me...

Side note: good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back too! :luck:

This is possibly a dumb question, but when you say "update the adcom" you just mean get in touch with admissions through email or something? (there isn't like a special web portal or anything?)

I am asking because I got a phone call from admissions at UPenn yesterday, and a woman asked me if I 'was still interested' in Penn because I got accepted at Cornell (Idk how they knew, or why it matters)... and then that was it, no news of an interview! I am still waiting to hear if I'll get one, but the woman didn't sound too cheery... I kind of got a bad feeling about the whole interaction. Maybe I was supposed to update something and failed to do that? Eeek. Penn's admissions process is such a mystery to me...

Side note: good luck to everyone still waiting to hear back too! :luck:

There isn't a portal, so yes, I do mean email or call them. I don't really know what to make of the phone call. I know of similar things happening to other people in the past, but I really can't speculate about what it means.

Doing so is only going to help you. To not do so, means you aren't even going to take the chance at possibly pushing yourself ahead of someone for an interview. What do you have to lose really? Admissions is a crazy, unpredictable process really. I know from experience.

Hey guys- I guess I'm somewhat behind on this concept.. Is it normal to update admissions on current work, classes, volunteer time etc. only if you haven't heard anything about an interview? Or is this something people do who have interviewed and are still waiting to hear a decision?

Hey guys- I guess I'm somewhat behind on this concept.. Is it normal to update admissions on current work, classes, volunteer time etc. only if you haven't heard anything about an interview? Or is this something people do who have interviewed and are still waiting to hear a decision?

I feel differently than orca...

IF you have something that is a relevant change to update them with, then it is common to let them know. If you got a NEW experience, your hours vastly changed, you did something unusual, got a paper published, etc.

I personally feel if you are just updating similar info (I increased my hours a bit, I got another A, etc) you are annoying and wasting their time, and just decreasing your chances.

Members don't see this ad :)

IF you have something that is a relevant change to update them with, then it is common to let them know. If you got a NEW experience, your hours vastly changed, you did something unusual, got a paper published, etc.

I personally feel if you are just updating similar info (I increased my hours a bit, I got another A, etc) you are annoying and wasting their time, and just decreasing your chances.

I sent my fall 2012 grades as they had requested everyone do so, and just alerted the admissions via e-mail that they should be arriving soon (the main reason I e-mailed was because the Registrar originally sent them an incomplete transcript, so I wanted to let them know why they were getting another (complete) transcript from me just 1 week later), and I never got a response. I still haven't heard anything from them. The only things I would update them on would be continuing to work at the SA clinic and research lab that I included on my VMCAS, but I'm not sure if it's worth it to do that because nothing is really new, just a continuation of hours. Any opinions? Should I just sit tight? I really wish I knew what my application status was!! :(

it seems kind of obnoxious that they would call to see if you're still interested even if you got into cornell...shouldn't their decision about whether to interview you or not be based one your application and not about what other schools you may have gotten into? that makes me kind of mad.

it seems kind of obnoxious that they would call to see if you're still interested even if you got into cornell...shouldn't their decision about whether to interview you or not be based one your application and not about what other schools you may have gotten into? that makes me kind of mad.

I actually meant more along the lines of new info as well, which is what I thought they were referring to.

Yes, but if cornell is your IS and youre likely to go there due to cost and it being a good program, I could see why they would want to gauge interest because they could offer the interview to someone else who is more likely to come here (cant forget that schools are businesses too and need money). Just a thought. Not saying its right or wrong but its a perspective to consider. And I have a friend who interviewed her last year and got into Cornell, which is where she currently attends so it doesnt mean its a deal breaker or anything like that.

Yes, but if cornell is your IS and youre likely to go there due to cost and it being a good program, I could see why they would want to gauge interest because they could offer the interview to someone else who is more likely to come here

This is something I had wondered about also. During my interview, the subject of what other schools I applied to/heard from came up, and I mentioned my acceptance at another school (one that would cost less over 4 years). We had a pretty open conversation about finances, but in no way did I indicate that given the choice, I'd definitely choose the cheaper school.
I was worrying that maybe the admissions committee would see that as a downside to accepting me- that I might choose a different school because I was too concerned about the tuition. (But then again, don't they want people who consider these things?)

In some ways, it's sort of nice they called to assess your interest- it would be better than just passing you over on an assumption. I tend to agree though- they should accept who they want and not worry about where you've been accepted already. I'm sure there is a long enough waiting list that there's no danger of not filling their seats. If you truly weren't interested, you probably wouldn't come to the interview.

I'm getting super nervous about my interview tomorrow...especially because of the students' input in the process. I have some concerns I want to ask about, but I'm worried it will look bad if I bring up negatives about the school (I'm not really confident that they'll be able to assuage my concerns).

I'm getting super nervous about my interview tomorrow...especially because of the students' input in the process. I have some concerns I want to ask about, but I'm worried it will look bad if I bring up negatives about the school (I'm not really confident that they'll be able to assuage my concerns).

The admissions committee are pretty approachable and I honestly feel concerns can sometimes be a good thing. To me it would show that you've done your research and actually shows interested and I feel that those on the committee are pretty open minded. Granted I'm not on the committee, but that's how I would look at it, especially if you addressed your concerns in an appropriate manner.

This is something I had wondered about also. During my interview, the subject of what other schools I applied to/heard from came up, and I mentioned my acceptance at another school (one that would cost less over 4 years). We had a pretty open conversation about finances, but in no way did I indicate that given the choice, I'd definitely choose the cheaper school.
I was worrying that maybe the admissions committee would see that as a downside to accepting me- that I might choose a different school because I was too concerned about the tuition. (But then again, don't they want people who consider these things?)

In some ways, it's sort of nice they called to assess your interest- it would be better than just passing you over on an assumption. I tend to agree though- they should accept who they want and not worry about where you've been accepted already. I'm sure there is a long enough waiting list that there's no danger of not filling their seats. If you truly weren't interested, you probably wouldn't come to the interview.

Like I said, I don't necessarily think it's always right to do, but I can get why they ask. And a lot of schools will ask you those questions. I got asked that at Auburn and they were kind of like "what did you even apply here when you have a good IS school?" . I'm obviously not in admissions, but I'm sure they have a reason for doing what they do.

Good Luck EC!!!!!

( but I'd really like for you to be at Mizzou with me :D )

Eh..if it makes you seem like you have concerns with the school, you may seem uninterested. Id stick to positives...especially since we know how subjective Penn can be. If they are legitimate concerns, Id ask someone on SDN or even a quick phone call to the Penn admissions office. May not be appropriate for an interview

Good Luck EC!!!!!

( but I'd really like for you to be at Mizzou with me :D )

Aww, thanks KP! It means a lot that you popped into this thread to say that to me. :oops:

Eh..if it makes you seem like you have concerns with the school, you may seem uninterested. Id stick to positives...especially since we know how subjective Penn can be. If they are legitimate concerns, Id ask someone on SDN or even a quick phone call to the Penn admissions office. May not be appropriate for an interview

I was never planning to ask the interviewer, but from the Interview Feedback page it sounds like the chat with students before your interview is pretty much part of your interview. Although I think I've figured out how to frame at least one of my questions without the background of it being a 'concern' so that it's just a question.

Aww, thanks KP! It means a lot that you popped into this thread to say that to me. :oops:

I was never planning to ask the interviewer, but from the Interview Feedback page it sounds like the chat with students before your interview is pretty much part of your interview. Although I think I've figured out how to frame at least one of my questions without the background of it being a 'concern' so that it's just a question.

Ooo ok! Well good luck! And have fun ! :)

I need assistance from anyone who is willing :) I am going to Mexico for spring break, which is during the first week of March (the tickets are already booked). I didn't purchase insurance (I don't know if it's too late or not), but I would be so upset if I ended up getting a Penn interview and it was scheduled during my spring break (March 2-March 10). I decided to go on the trip since Penn has been keeping most of us in the dark, and I didn't want to miss out on a great trip with friends for something that very well may not even happen. IN THE EVENT that I MIRACULOUSLY get an interview during that time, would Penn be flexible with rescheduling? When I called the office (which didn't really get me any answers), they said that interviews would likely be taking place into March (I didn't mention this spring break dilemma, just inquired about interview dates). If they are not flexible, what would you do? What do you think about insurance? It's an extra $160, and it may be too late to get it. Also, if I purchase the insurance, my friends also have to buy it since we are sharing a room. I just don't know if it's worth it, especially for something that is so uncertain. THANK YOU in advance for any/all opinions and advice!!! :cool:

I need assistance from anyone who is willing :) I am going to Mexico for spring break, which is during the first week of March (the tickets are already booked). I didn't purchase insurance (I don't know if it's too late or not), but I would be so upset if I ended up getting a Penn interview and it was scheduled during my spring break (March 2-March 10). I decided to go on the trip since Penn has been keeping most of us in the dark, and I didn't want to miss out on a great trip with friends for something that very well may not even happen. IN THE EVENT that I MIRACULOUSLY get an interview during that time, would Penn be flexible with rescheduling? When I called the office (which didn't really get me any answers), they said that interviews would likely be taking place into March (I didn't mention this spring break dilemma, just inquired about interview dates). If they are not flexible, what would you do? What do you think about insurance? It's an extra $160, and it may be too late to get it. Also, if I purchase the insurance, my friends also have to buy it since we are sharing a room. I just don't know if it's worth it, especially for something that is so uncertain. THANK YOU in advance for any/all opinions and advice!!! :cool:
When I got the interview invite, it said that they CANNOT accommodate rescheduling requests. And I feel like "I have spring break plans" isn't the sort of thing they would be super willing to work around. On the other hand, you don't have to worry about it unless it happens, and if it does it's worth asking, right? If you do ask and they say no, you won't be any worse off than when you started.

Will you be in the same place the whole time in Mexico? I'm asking because maybe you could just buy another return flight from mexico --> Newark (or Philly, whichever is cheaper since you can take the train from Newark --> Philly) for Thursday, March 7th. It looks like you can get a one way for ~$250, and I know I've seen better prices when Jetblue is having a sale. I know buying an extra ticket isn't a great option, but at least you could get part of a spring break and you could make the interview if you did happen to get one that weekend.

Last edited:

Pretty sure this happened to a classmate of mine last year when she interviewed. She had planned a trip to Europe well in advance and ended up having to change her flight to come back early.

You can always ask a current student with no particular school loyalty and no ties to admissions ;)
That goes for all y'all.

Just PM me or one of the other Pennwe's here. No sense taking a chance on getting someone with input into the process butt-hurt. Students aren't professionals (yet) and may not take your question in the light intended.

FYI, I asked very negative questions of UCDavis in my interview, but I already had 2 acceptances in my pocket so I wasn't worried what they thought. Wouldn't have done that if I hadn't had backup. I was still accepted (and their answers were vague and unsatisfactory).

:smack: Of course that's what I should do. I did end up asking my question, but I based it off something said in the tour instead of what I had been thinking previously. Not totally satisfied with the answer.

I was really impressed by how the students sold the school. Largely because they seemed to have such a good community. I think my interview went ok, although at the end one of my interviewers had to apologize for his rudeness in one particular question. And the admissions directors remembered me from the summer program I did 3 summers ago!

For anyone still waiting, they said they expect to have 4 more interview days (though probably a lot of those invites have gone out already)

:smack: Of course that's what I should do. I did end up asking my question, but I based it off something said in the tour instead of what I had been thinking previously. Not totally satisfied with the answer.

I was really impressed by how the students sold the school. Largely because they seemed to have such a good community. I think my interview went ok, although at the end one of my interviewers had to apologize for his rudeness in one particular question. And the admissions directors remembered me from the summer program I did 3 summers ago!

For anyone still waiting, they said they expect to have 4 more interview days (though probably a lot of those invites have gone out already)

Knife to my heart Equineconstant. Thanks for the heads up though. Hope your interview went well :thumbup: :)

you mean 4 after today? or 4 that they haven't sent out invites for yet? because someone on SDN said earlier that the admissions ppl said there would be interviews into march, but if they said only 4 days then that's not true....UGH!! i wish they didn't drag it out like this with so many ppl not hearing anything!

you mean 4 after today? or 4 that they haven't sent out invites for yet? because someone on SDN said earlier that the admissions ppl said there would be interviews into march, but if they said only 4 days then that's not true....UGH!! i wish they didn't drag it out like this with so many ppl not hearing anything!

4 more days gets you to march 1st...

They said they're expecting to have 4 more interview days. I also believe the New Bolton day hasn't happened yet (?) and I know people have got interviews to that, so I figured at least some of the invites had been sent. That's all I know. :shrug:

I got a call from Rob around 2:00 (as I was driving down a very busy highway, perfect timing, I know). And I got accepted! :soexcited:

He told me that they will send me a packet in the mail, and I will get it in about 2 weeks. So beyond excited!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE FOR THE REST OF THE CYCLE:luck::luck::luck:

Congrats! When was your interview and when did you hear back? Had my interview today and have heard mixed things about when to expect a phone call/email.

Congrats! When was your interview and when did you hear back? Had my interview today and have heard mixed things about when to expect a phone call/email.

I'm not the poster you were referencing but I figured I would lend you some info (if that makes any sense haha). I interviewed on 1/18 and was called the following Wednesday (1/23). Don't panic though if you don't get a call right away! They told us they usually call between 10 - 14 days after the interview.

I interviewed yesterday and afterwards one of the students told me they usually start calling the Monday after the interview, but not to freak out if you don't get one then because people still get calls Wednesday or later.

They said they're expecting to have 4 more interview days. I also believe the New Bolton day hasn't happened yet (?) and I know people have got interviews to that, so I figured at least some of the invites had been sent. That's all I know. :shrug:

I just don't get (although I'm not the only one) why I haven't heard anything yet?!? I just really wanna know my application status :( Esp. because I feel that if there are only 4 more interview days left and some invites got sent out already, the chances of more going out are slim...

Thanks Orca2011 and stressedvet for your responses! I am OOS EVERYWHERE (I am from New Jersey... womp womp) so Cornell isn't much cheaper than Penn. Yeah, I was just really taken aback by it!

And MaIT, I am still waiting to hear back too. I know how frustrating it is. I am sure you can give them a call and ask about your application status, I mean... it is February now!

Congrats to those recently accepted!!! I have some family in West Philly, my sister absolutely loves it there (then again, we are quite used to east coast grime. hahaha.) But seriously, its a great place! Great food, social life, transportation, you name it!

Will you be in the same place the whole time in Mexico? (When I did a Spring Break in Mexico we rented a car and drove to all the Mayan ruins, so we were only in cancun for the first day and last 2 days.) I'm asking because maybe you could just buy another return flight from mexico --> Newark (or Philly, whichever is cheaper since you can take the train from Newark --> Philly) for Thursday, March 7th. It looks like you can get a one way for ~$250, and I know I've seen better prices when Jetblue is having a sale. I know buying an extra ticket isn't a great option, but at least you could get part of a spring break and you could make the interview if you did happen to get one that weekend.

Thanks so much for the advice orca, equineconstant, and Annabellee! It's looking like I won't really have to worry seeing as I still haven't heard a peep, but I really appreciate your help :)

still no word from Penn and it's killing me! lol...i just had a thought though; in order to be on the waitlist for Penn admissions, do you need to have received an interview, or do they have a waitlist for interviews (like I think Tufts does)?

Thanks for your input McGovernator and equineconstant. Everything I was told really went to hell anyway. My interview was on Friday (2/1) and I got a call around 1:30pm on Saturday telling me I GOT IN!!!! :clap: :claps: :bow:

Did anyone else who had an interview that day hear back!?

Shut the front door!!! Got an invite today!!! AHHHHH someone pinch me please??? There's hope for all still waiting! It's scheduled for 3/1.

Congratulations to those accepted! For what it's worth, I updated admissions about a week and a half ago just to share things I've become involved in and significant things I've done. I'm not sure if it made a difference but it seems like it may have? I never got confirmation they processed or added the info to my file but just wanted to let you guys know. :luck::luck:

Thanks for your input McGovernator and equineconstant. Everything I was told really went to hell anyway. My interview was on Friday (2/1) and I got a call around 1:30pm on Saturday telling me I GOT IN!!!! :clap: :claps: :bow:

Did anyone else who had an interview that day hear back!?

Wow, congrats!!! that is awesome, you must have made an excellent impression if they called you so quickly! :thumbup: