Update in requirements for University of Iowa Orthodontic candidates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofIowaOrthoResident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
https://www.dentistry.uiowa.edu/orthodontics-residency-application

Faculty in the University of Iowa Department of Orthodontics feel that residency program participation in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program is fair and beneficial to applicants. We also feel that it is in the long-term best interest of the specialty. Consequently, we have decided to interview applicants who are applying exclusively to programs participating in the Match.

Please see attached file for more details.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• U IOWA MATCH ADMISSION REQUIREMENT.pdf
    946.5 KB · Views: 236
Coming from a program who doesn't participated in the PASS, nice try Iowa.

So basically this is a statement about the feelings the University of Iowa has about the match and changes little to nothing about the application process to that school?

Reactions: 1 user
How are they going to know if a person applied to a non-match school?

Members don't see this ad :)
How are they going to know if a person applied to a non-match school?
"If an applicant falsely states that they are applying exclusively to Match programs, but later drops out of the Match early to commit to a Non-Match program, then we do not want that applicant as a resident in our program anyway."

They won't know unless you tell them.
that's what I was thinking. If I don't take any non-match offers and decide to take my chance and I end up matching at Iowa. I doubt that they will find out unless I tell them

https://www.dentistry.uiowa.edu/orthodontics-residency-application

Faculty in the University of Iowa Department of Orthodontics feel that residency program participation in the Postdoctoral Dental Matching Program is fair and beneficial to applicants. We also feel that it is in the long-term best interest of the specialty. Consequently, we have decided to interview applicants who are applying exclusively to programs participating in the Match.

Please see attached file for more details.

There shouldnt even be a match period!! I wont apply to Iowa but I can tell you that its not fair to have this policy. The the end goal is to be an orthodontist and as applicants we care about that more than applying exclusively match for the sake of the system. As selective and low chances you have at most problems, its silly for us to hope that the match works out because there is a lot of shady stuff going on within match! We may think we nailed the interview, rank you high, and lose out on a whole year of residency with those shennanigans! Iowa is only hurting itself by losing applicants to choose from...

There shouldnt even be a match period!! I wont apply to Iowa but I can tell you that its not fair to have this policy. The the end goal is to be an orthodontist and as applicants we care about that more than applying exclusively match for the sake of the system. As selective and low chances you have at most problems, its silly for us to hope that the match works out because there is a lot of shady stuff going on within match! We may think we nailed the interview, rank you high, and lose out on a whole year of residency with those shennanigans! Iowa is only hurting itself by losing applicants to choose from...

Dear Elena,

Please consider this perspective.

Iowa is in fact taking the high road and being the first match program (among the majority of programs, most of which participate in match), to say that if you are applying to non-match school, you won't be considered here.

This is going to sound arrogant, but please take it for what it is. Any orthodontic program can fulfill its spots with able bodied and qualified candidates. It's just up to them to make it in their best interest to fill them with people who will not only be orthodontists, but those which will carry the same degree and legacy moving forward in the field. Unlike dental school, as a resident of a program, this is what will define your career. As such, you will be going to alumni events, attend AAO yearly (hopefully), and be colleagues with those who you are around. This is why it is important for them to have their spots filled with people who actually want to go to Iowa and make it their number one. Not people who applied to 50 schools and Iowa is one of them, in addition to non-match programs, in order to make their application pool much higher.

Remember, if Iowa wasted their time reading your application, inviting you for an interview (on the two days they have interiews) for one of the only five spots they have, and that applicant accepted a spot at a non-match school, they wasted a potential applicant.

These are the reasons Iowa is smart for doing this.

1. They saw what happened in past year by non-match programs trying to get the best bunch by forcing people to sign on to their program with 24 hours notice.

2. They had many people apply to Iowa, who were great candidates, agree to interview, and not show up at the interview because they agreed to a spot at a non-match program. Yes this happens. And yes, people do not have the decency to let the school know so they can call other candidates.

3. Many match programs, for example, only rank 4 candidates out of 5 spots. So they have at least one un-matched spot. So they can save that spot for someone who they made a deal with who is also for certain not matched at another program. The only people who would consider this "one spot" are those who did not match and have no where to go.

4. If you want to not lose out on this, then don't apply here. That is one less hassle they have to deal with, and this is one less school you have to pay for. Works both ways.

5. Iowa is a state school, and a great program. It will be even better by doing this. There is no current evidence showing that the non-match schools, colorado, harvard, seton hill, attract better applicants. These could be applicants that were not confident enough to deny and go into match. These programs play on the fear of you thinking you cannot get into another program.

6. All programs should do this. There has been many instances of people committing to non-match, and still going into match. and then calling the non-match, saying, oops sorry. Take my 10,000 deposit. Likewise, you will have applicants match at a program they don't want to go to, and then say sorry I can't go there. So it works both ways.

This is the most fair system, and there will always be flaws, as there is with government. You have to make the system work for you. But believe me, this is the best thing Iowa is doing for them and you will see they will attract even better (they are already great) applicants in the future to come.

Dear Elena,

Please consider this perspective.

Iowa is in fact taking the high road and being the first match program (among the majority of programs, most of which participate in match), to say that if you are applying to non-match school, you won't be considered here.

This is going to sound arrogant, but please take it for what it is. Any orthodontic program can fulfill its spots with able bodied and qualified candidates. It's just up to them to make it in their best interest to fill them with people who will not only be orthodontists, but those which will carry the same degree and legacy moving forward in the field. Unlike dental school, as a resident of a program, this is what will define your career. As such, you will be going to alumni events, attend AAO yearly (hopefully), and be colleagues with those who you are around. This is why it is important for them to have their spots filled with people who actually want to go to Iowa and make it their number one. Not people who applied to 50 schools and Iowa is one of them, in addition to non-match programs, in order to make their application pool much higher.

Remember, if Iowa wasted their time reading your application, inviting you for an interview (on the two days they have interiews) for one of the only five spots they have, and that applicant accepted a spot at a non-match school, they wasted a potential applicant.

These are the reasons Iowa is smart for doing this.

1. They saw what happened in past year by non-match programs trying to get the best bunch by forcing people to sign on to their program with 24 hours notice.

2. They had many people apply to Iowa, who were great candidates, agree to interview, and not show up at the interview because they agreed to a spot at a non-match program. Yes this happens. And yes, people do not have the decency to let the school know so they can call other candidates.

3. Many match programs, for example, only rank 4 candidates out of 5 spots. So they have at least one un-matched spot. So they can save that spot for someone who they made a deal with who is also for certain not matched at another program. The only people who would consider this "one spot" are those who did not match and have no where to go.

4. If you want to not lose out on this, then don't apply here. That is one less hassle they have to deal with, and this is one less school you have to pay for. Works both ways.

5. Iowa is a state school, and a great program. It will be even better by doing this. There is no current evidence showing that the non-match schools, colorado, harvard, seton hill, attract better applicants. These could be applicants that were not confident enough to deny and go into match. These programs play on the fear of you thinking you cannot get into another program.

6. All programs should do this. There has been many instances of people committing to non-match, and still going into match. and then calling the non-match, saying, oops sorry. Take my 10,000 deposit. Likewise, you will have applicants match at a program they don't want to go to, and then say sorry I can't go there. So it works both ways.

This is the most fair system, and there will always be flaws, as there is with government. You have to make the system work for you. But believe me, this is the best thing Iowa is doing for them and you will see they will attract even better (they are already great) applicants in the future to come.

Thanks for that elaboration. But with all due respect you dont know that Iowa will get the top tier candidates by doing this - they havent even seen the applicant poop!.. they may lose out. We will wait and see but it will deter people from applying rather than encourage them or it will even encourage deceitfulness - something Iowa even acknowledges.

Every orthodontist I have talked to says where you go for residency DOES NOT matter, much like most patients dont care where you went to dental school. Some people in NC or SC have never even heard of Saint Louis University or Roseman. The only thing they know is you had that training.

Nonmatch programs will continue to be popular ... a bird in hand is better than none at all. Dont ever pin your hopes on a residency that only 5 spots. The numbers dont work and thats why new programs opening will continue to do non-match so they can fill their classes with their top choices, second choices, and not bother ranking and competing with other programs.

Thanks for that elaboration. But with all due respect you dont know that Iowa will get the top tier candidates by doing this - they havent even seen the applicant poop!.. they may lose out. We will wait and see but it will deter people from applying rather than encourage them or it will even encourage deceitfulness - something Iowa even acknowledges.

Every orthodontist I have talked to says where you go for residency DOES NOT matter, much like most patients dont care where you went to dental school. Some people in NC or SC have never even heard of Saint Louis University or Roseman. The only thing they know is you had that training.

Nonmatch programs will continue to be popular ... a bird in hand is better than none at all. Dont ever pin your hopes on a residency that only 5 spots. The numbers dont work and thats why new programs opening will continue to do non-match so they can fill their classes with their top choices, second choices, and not bother ranking and competing with other programs.

I am not trying to discredit what you are saying, but I don't think you have read a word of what I said.

No one knows who they are getting and no one knows what Iowa thinks is a top candidate for their program vs. a top candidate for the field.

Iowa will rank a list of who they want. The closer they stay to their top tier applicants, the more "top tier" they are to themselves. They got who THEY wanted. That is their ideal program. What the rest of the profession thinks, its up to them.

If it deters YOU from applying to Iowa because you'd rather apply to non-match schools, please name one of the non-match programs that is better than Iowa? Don't detract other applicants like yourself, who base their application on "the orthodontists they talk to" and based on your advice, which lacks any substance whatsoever. These people have been doing this a long time, you are just, an applicant.

"Every orthodontist I have talked to says where you go for residency DOES NOT matter, much like most patients dont care where you went to dental school. Some people in NC or SC have never even heard of Saint Louis University or Roseman. The only thing they know is you had that training. "

I can agree that patients don't care (can't care) as they don't know enough, but orthodontists definitely care when they are hiring people, where you got your training. This matters. And there is a reason why there are more sought after programs than others. Yes, you have the same title, but the training will vary from program to program.

And the people in NC and SC that you talk to, they don't know about St. Louis University? Maybe you are talking to the wrong people. Because if they don't know that program, the ABO (American Board of Orthodontics) examination center is located in St. Louis, which says something about their lack of knowledge. Board certification is a different topic of discussion, but it is located in St. Louis.

"Nonmatch programs will continue to be popular ... a bird in hand is better than none at all. Dont ever pin your hopes on a residency that only 5 spots. The numbers dont work and thats why new programs opening will continue to do non-match so they can fill their classes with their top choices, second choices, and not bother ranking and competing with other programs."

So how do you explain programs that used to be non-match, like Arizona who now participate in the match, Or Uconn? Same thing.

They are not popular. I don't know what you are talking about. The only one I can think of that is "maybe" sought after Rochester Eastman?

A bird in hand is better than none at all. Yes, this may be true for a brand new program like NYU Lutheran who everyone will rank low on their list due to how new the program is.
If a program is too risk averse to compete with the other programs, then there is something wrong with the program. This proves my point about Arizona and Uconn. Who used to be non-match, and is now match. They used to get stellar applicants rejecting their offers, and going into the match anyway. So their goal of attracting the top applicants to "sign with them before going into the match tactic", wasn't working out too well for them.

Last edited:
I am not trying to discredit what you are saying, but I don't think you have read a word of what I said.

No one knows who they are getting and no one knows what Iowa thinks is a top candidate for their program vs. a top candidate for the field.

Iowa will rank a list of who they want. The closer they stay to their top tier applicants, the more "top tier" they are.

If it deters you from applying to Iowa because you'd rather apply to non-match schools, please name one of the non-match programs that is better than Iowa?

"Every orthodontist I have talked to says where you go for residency DOES NOT matter, much like most patients dont care where you went to dental school. Some people in NC or SC have never even heard of Saint Louis University or Roseman. The only thing they know is you had that training. "

I can agree that patients don't care (can't care) as they don't know enough, but orthodontists definitely care when they are hiring people, where you got your training. This matters. And there is a reason why there are more sought after programs than others. Yes, you have the same title, but the training will vary from program to program.

"Nonmatch programs will continue to be popular ... a bird in hand is better than none at all. Dont ever pin your hopes on a residency that only 5 spots. The numbers dont work and thats why new programs opening will continue to do non-match so they can fill their classes with their top choices, second choices, and not bother ranking and competing with other programs."

So how do you explain programs that used to be non-match, like Arizona who now participate in the match, Or Uconn? Same thing.

They are not popular. I don't know what you are talking about. The only one I can think of that is "maybe" sought after Rochester Eastman?
A bird in hand is better than none at all. Yes, this may be true for a brand new program like NYU Lutheran who everyone will rank low on their list due to how new the program is.
If a program is too risk averse to compete with the other programs, then there is something wrong with the program. This proves my point about Arizona and Uconn. Who used to be non-match, and is now match. They used to get stellar applicants rejecting their offers, and going into the match anyway. So their goal of attracting the top applicants to "sign with them before going into the match tactic", wasn't working out too well for them.
63419137.jpg

I've read it. It just doesnt compute in my mind.
1) Iowa is ONE program out of many. They're not all that important in the grand scheme of things.
2) I'll take any program that gives me comfort at night instead of playing a game of ranking a program 1st and them ranking me last because they are playing the game to have everyone rank them #1.
3) Most of what you learn in ortho comes from work experience, not necessarily residency. I don't know any job ads that are looking for SLU grads... Just like dental schools. No one cares about where just that you have that degree.
4) Just because a few schools do match doesn't mean that will be the trend in the future.

I've read a lot on here and the conclusion is when people get admitted to non match they go. They want be an orthodontist!

Iowa will rank a list of who they want. The closer they stay to their top tier applicants, the more "top tier" they are to themselves. They got who THEY wanted. That is their ideal program. What the rest of the profession thinks, its up to them.

If it deters YOU from applying to Iowa because you'd rather apply to non-match schools, please name one of the non-match programs that is better than Iowa? Don't detract other applicants like yourself, who base their application on "the orthodontists they talk to" and based on your advice, which lacks any substance whatsoever. These people have been doing this a long time, you are just, an applicant.

And the people in NC and SC that you talk to, they don't know about St. Louis University? Maybe you are talking to the wrong people. Because if they don't know that program, the ABO (American Board of Orthodontics) examination center is located in St. Louis, which says something about their lack of knowledge. Board certification is a different topic of discussion, but it is located in St. Louis.

@Tooth please weigh in on this. You are like the ultimate in the know from being on SDN and studying ortho admissions for years...

@Tooth please weigh in on this. You are like the ultimate in the know from being on SDN and studying ortho admissions for years...

I guess this kind of policy shouldn't really come as a surprise to anyone. It must be quite annoying for match programs to have to deal with non-match programs. At the end of the day, Iowa will continue to get great residents because the faculty are smart, the program remains highly attractive, and they only need to match 5 good people. I wish them the best with their new policy and hope they minimally have less drama to deal with in future cycles.

From an applicant's view, I'm not sure how many people will be affected by this policy. I know many applicants decide not to apply to non-match programs their first cycle anyway because they also don't want to deal with the drama of dropping out of the match. Many apply to non-match schools, get accepted, and then participate in the match anyway. I suppose these same people won't care about Iowa's policy and will apply wherever they want to.

Perhaps this policy, should it become more widespread, will help separate the groups and alleviate this drama. I suspect it won't however unless the policy comes from a combined cooperation at the match and pass level, not from the individual university level alone. I don't recall there being any programs that don't participate in either pass or match. If enough match/pass schools adopt this policy, this could eventually work for the match programs. I don't see it happening for quite some time though, if ever. However, I suspect non-match programs know they have it good right now and deep down inside they know they won't be able to get away with this forever.

Everyone will have to make their own list of which schools they find attractive enough to apply to and whether Iowa or other programs that institute this policy are worth dropping in order to apply to non-match programs. I recall applying to two non-match programs and 30 match programs. Iowa was very high on my list. It broke my heart to drop out of the match. I suspect that many, if not most, will find it reasonable to drop the non-match programs in order to apply to schools like Iowa. It just depends on the quantity and quality of the match programs that do this vs the quantity and quality of the non-match programs you like and how ethical you are.

I've read it. It just doesnt compute in my mind.
1) Iowa is ONE program out of many. They're not all that important in the grand scheme of things.
2) I'll take any program that gives me comfort at night instead of playing a game of ranking a program 1st and them ranking me last because they are playing the game to have everyone rank them #1.
3) Most of what you learn in ortho comes from work experience, not necessarily residency. I don't know any job ads that are looking for SLU grads... Just like dental schools. No one cares about where just that you have that degree.
4) Just because a few schools do match doesn't mean that will be the trend in the future.

I've read a lot on here and the conclusion is when people get admitted to non match they go. They want be an orthodontist!

I am going to spend another time trying to rationalize this for you.

1. Iowa is one program who is deciding to eliminate having people double dipping, as I said before. If everyone participated in the match, we would not have this issue. You should ask this question: What does this say about the small percentage of schools that try to go non-match? What are they trying to achieve. They are trying to do a few things and I will name a few. You keep making this opinion on what is and is not important.

i) Try to get the good applicants before they go to match, giving them 24 hours to commit to their program

ii) Uncertainty. They don't want to not know who they are getting, some schools get really good match lists (they get their top picks) and other schools get really bad ones (they move down their match list); so if a school only interviews 28 people, for 7 spots, and out of the 28 people, many of the top ranked students matched elsewhere, they will get their bottom of their match list, and it becomes a "fill the seats" game. You will notice a lot of schools with non-match also have an internship. People from the internship usually (not always) get into the program next year. People who did an internship usually did not match first time around.

iii) allow the selection of candidates themselves, and not hope for the match algorithm to run in their favor. You will see the timing of non-match interviews is important. These programs have the publish this information, because say you interview at 3 non-match schools, they can ensure you are not committing to more than one non-match program (hence the 24 hour commitment period).

2. You should not apply to any program in the match that you do not intend to go to. It is a binding contract. If you feel the school is going to rank you last, that says something about you not the program. There are going to be programs that everyone dislikes a particular applicant, only to find out they matched (you soon later find out that the applicant walks the program director's dog). Like I said, if you think you are too good for any program, believe me, you are the issue. If you want comfort at night, go be a GP and do invisalign and convince yourself you can do orthodontics like a specialist.

3. This is the old trend. Residencies should provide you with the tools to diagnose and treatment plan, using sound evidence-based clinical decision making. Obviously the real world is different, there are many compromises. So considering the real world has more compromises (time, money, etc) how does this affect the way you practice? You take shortcuts. If you are a student who didn't learn well from your residency, and then went into the real world with shortcuts, you are in trouble when these shortcuts dont work. There are many fundamentals that still hold true, and gluing brackets on teeth and sticking in a NiTi wire just doesn't cut it.

Most of what you learn in orthodontics should be from a residency. If this were not the case, why is there a need for residency to become a specialist? Maybe you are talking to people from crappy residencies, who go into private practice saying they learned nothing from their residency.

BTW, good practices don't need job ads to attract candidates. They have more than 100 CVs sent to their office for potential employment opportunities, annually. I think you are reading too many corporate ADs.

Yes, they do care where. I do not know who you are referring to when you keep saying "they". Have you ever thought that someone in orthodontics wants to do more than just practice? Academia? Lecturing? Research? How are you going to do this from programs that have 18 residents per year, have no NIH funding, and claim they are a clinical school. The difference is, when you go to a program, they give you the foundation and didactics, and the clinical. Clinical schools have what, only clinical? If you want to learn to bend wires, go to Tweed.

4. Match is a new trend. Non-match (collect and select) is the old trend. Just FYI.

You've read a lot on here and I think there is one conclusion you can draw from this. Don't believe everything you read.

When you go to interview at match programs, many of the applicants you see you be chit chatting about getting the phone call from non-match programs that they declined.

So for all the misinformed people like you, who believe everything they read, listen to the orthodontists around them, think the program doesn't matter, wow.

I have some advice for you when you go to your interview(s) based on your "computations".
1. Tell the match programs its not fair that they are not doing non-match because you can't sleep at night because of the game they are playing.
2. Tell the good programs that it doesn't matter where you go for residency because you learn everything afterwards and job ads dont care where you went and that their program is just as good as any other and that they should be happy they can collect your tuition money
3. I am desperate to be an orthodontist and I will take anything that comes my way.

Reactions: 1 users
Come interview time I'll probably just sit there and smile and tell them what they want to hear... isnt that what everyone does? I will take whatever place I get into first. We'll both be orthodontists in the end, right? Theres nothing wrong with going to a nonmatch school. We'll see I'll do match as a backup and see how the interviews come down and rank them based on how the interview goes.

I am going to spend another time trying to rationalize this for you.

1. Iowa is one program who is deciding to eliminate having people double dipping, as I said before. If everyone participated in the match, we would not have this issue. You should ask this question: What does this say about the small percentage of schools that try to go non-match? What are they trying to achieve. They are trying to do a few things and I will name a few. You keep making this opinion on what is and is not important.

i) Try to get the good applicants before they go to match, giving them 24 hours to commit to their program

ii) Uncertainty. They don't want to not know who they are getting, some schools get really good match lists (they get their top picks) and other schools get really bad ones (they move down their match list); so if a school only interviews 28 people, for 7 spots, and out of the 28 people, many of the top ranked students matched elsewhere, they will get their bottom of their match list, and it becomes a "fill the seats" game. You will notice a lot of schools with non-match also have an internship. People from the internship usually (not always) get into the program next year. People who did an internship usually did not match first time around.

iii) allow the selection of candidates themselves, and not hope for the match algorithm to run in their favor. You will see the timing of non-match interviews is important. These programs have the publish this information, because say you interview at 3 non-match schools, they can ensure you are not committing to more than one non-match program (hence the 24 hour commitment period).

2. You should not apply to any program in the match that you do not intend to go to. It is a binding contract. If you feel the school is going to rank you last, that says something about you not the program. There are going to be programs that everyone dislikes a particular applicant, only to find out they matched (you soon later find out that the applicant walks the program director's dog). Like I said, if you think you are too good for any program, believe me, you are the issue. If you want comfort at night, go be a GP and do invisalign and convince yourself you can do orthodontics like a specialist.

3. This is the old trend. Residencies should provide you with the tools to diagnose and treatment plan, using sound evidence-based clinical decision making. Obviously the real world is different, there are many compromises. So considering the real world has more compromises (time, money, etc) how does this affect the way you practice? You take shortcuts. If you are a student who didn't learn well from your residency, and then went into the real world with shortcuts, you are in trouble when these shortcuts dont work. There are many fundamentals that still hold true, and gluing brackets on teeth and sticking in a NiTi wire just doesn't cut it.

Most of what you learn in orthodontics should be from a residency. If this were not the case, why is there a need for residency to become a specialist? Maybe you are talking to people from crappy residencies, who go into private practice saying they learned nothing from their residency.

BTW, good practices don't need job ads to attract candidates. They have more than 100 CVs sent to their office for potential employment opportunities, annually. I think you are reading too many corporate ADs.

Yes, they do care where. I do not know who you are referring to when you keep saying "they". Have you ever thought that someone in orthodontics wants to do more than just practice? Academia? Lecturing? Research? How are you going to do this from programs that have 18 residents per year, have no NIH funding, and claim they are a clinical school. The difference is, when you go to a program, they give you the foundation and didactics, and the clinical. Clinical schools have what, only clinical? If you want to learn to bend wires, go to Tweed.

4. Match is a new trend. Non-match (collect and select) is the old trend. Just FYI.

You've read a lot on here and I think there is one conclusion you can draw from this. Don't believe everything you read.

When you go to interview at match programs, many of the applicants you see you be chit chatting about getting the phone call from non-match programs that they declined.

So for all the misinformed people like you, who believe everything they read, listen to the orthodontists around them, think the program doesn't matter, wow.

I have some advice for you when you go to your interview(s) based on your "computations".
1. Tell the match programs its not fair that they are not doing non-match because you can't sleep at night because of the game they are playing.
2. Tell the good programs that it doesn't matter where you go for residency because you learn everything afterwards and job ads dont care where you went and that their program is just as good as any other and that they should be happy they can collect your tuition money
3. I am desperate to be an orthodontist and I will take anything that comes my way.

Don't take it personal Elena.. DamonSelfLigation has a bit of a conceited mind set, just look through her previous posts ;). But she does at least have an interesting perspective so it does help to hear it.

That all being said, I do agree with Iowa's decision to go match-only. The application process of non-match programs does not work in favor of the applicant, it works for the program.. it would be much more favorable if all programs participated in MATCH (and PASS for that matter). And like Tooth said, while there isn't much changed on the individual university level, maybe this will start the change at the MATCH/PASS level.

Last edited:
I normally do not post things on this website for many reasons. But I feel like I need to come out of the shadows to bring about a point that you all have failed to address. I am NOT in favor of Iowa or any other dental school only accepting students who ONLY apply to match programs. I understand and see where you guys are coming from, for those of you who are in favor. I am NOT in favor for one VERY VERY important reason. This is NOT in favor of applicants with not so stellar grades. Now I believe all Orthodontic residencies are hard to get into. I am not trying throw any residency under the bus. However, how is it fair to for an applicant like myself and many others who are not in the top 10% or 20% and would like to pursue orthodontics. Telling us applicants not to apply to non-match programs significantly decreases our chance of being admitted into a program. I am confident to say that non-match programs are a bit easier to get into because of their large class size (now do not get mad, they are hard to get into but due to their large class size they are a little easier to get into, I am not trying to stir up another debate). Now, telling us applicants that we can not apply there only limits us applicants. Lets say, I do follow Iowas new requirement and I do not apply to non match programs. How would I feel knowing that I could have gotten into one of these programs but for not applying and pledging my loyalty to Iowa I did not apply to non-match programs and then when October or November comes around, Iowa does not even give me the time of day. Does not even give me an interview or even look at me. I come out a loser, for not applying to non-match programs and Iowa or any other program not interviewing me.

Thank you for your attention. Please I would like to hear what other people think about this. Maybe these programs will interview us for pledging our loyalty to them. They are pretty much telling us where we can and cannot apply. We must at least get something in return.

Last edited:
Maybe an individual who is in the top 10-20% isn't qualified to be an orthodontist? Hehe

I normally do not post things on this website for many reasons. But I feel like I need to come out of the shadows to bring about a point that you all have failed to address. I am NOT in favor of Iowa or any other dental school only accepting students who ONLY apply to match programs. I understand and see where you guys are coming from, for those of you who are in favor. I am NOT in favor for one VERY VERY important reason. This is NOT in favor of applicants with not so stellar grades. Now I believe all Orthodontic residencies are hard to get into. I am not trying throw any residency under the bus. However, how is it fair to for an applicant like myself and many others who are not in the top 10% or 20% and would like to pursue orthodontics. Telling us applicants not to apply to non-match programs significantly decreases our chance of being admitted into a program. I am confident to say that non-match programs are a bit easier to get into because of their large class size (now do not get mad, they are hard to get into but due to their large class size they are a little easier to get into, I am not trying to stir up another debate). Now, telling us applicants that we can not apply there only limits us applicants. Lets say, I do follow Iowas new requirement and I do not apply to non match programs. How would I feel knowing that I could have gotten into one of these programs but for not applying and pledging my loyalty to Iowa I did not apply to non-match programs and then when October or November comes around, Iowa does not even give me the time of day. Does not even give me an interview or even look at me. I come out a loser, for not applying to non-match programs and Iowa or any other program not interviewing me.

Thank you for your attention. Please I would like to hear what other people think about this. Maybe these programs will interview us for pledging our loyalty to them. They are pretty much telling us where we can and cannot apply. We must at least get something in return.
Sure, from the applicants perspective, this is a step towards a loss of freedom from what was once fair game. Of course that's lamentable, but what can you do? Orthodontic admissions have had a long history of being ultra-competitive and this step is consistent with that process.

Last edited:

Oh don't get me wrong, this is absolutely a blow to the face to current applicants with less than top 10% grades, myself included.. and Iowa is going to be missing a large percentage of great applicants who do not wish to alienate the several other excellent non-match schools. But, like Tooth said, with ortho being so competitive already, they will fill their chairs either way so it doesn't matter much to them in the short run. Change does have to start somewhere, just unfortunate it would start during our application cycle :p.