Upcoming 1st Year....any suggestions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SplinkMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to be a 1st year medical student next year and am very much interested in plastic surgery. I know that I shouldnt pick a medical school based on its plastic surgery reputation, therefore I am going to pick the school best suited for me. However, I want to make my application as strong as possible in order to increase my chances at a match. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I should do throughout medical school to make life easier when it comes time for the match? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also what is the average Step1 and 2 scores that I should be aiming at? Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad.

SplinkMD said:
I am going to be a 1st year medical student next year and am very much interested in plastic surgery. I know that I shouldnt pick a medical school based on its plastic surgery reputation, therefore I am going to pick the school best suited for me. However, I want to make my application as strong as possible in order to increase my chances at a match. Does anybody have any suggestions about what I should do throughout medical school to make life easier when it comes time for the match? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also what is the average Step1 and 2 scores that I should be aiming at? Thanks again.

i think most of us reading these boards are applying now or considering doing so in the future, so perhaps you'll get a more reliable answer after the match.

some things that may help your chances (to what degree is quite variable): coming from a good school, supposedly doing well on step 1, doing plastics research, doing well in school, etc. in my conversations with several residents and program directors, they seem to pay a lot of attention to letters of rec, especially when they come from people they know.