Suggestion on how to identify a cadaveric research topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sir Gillies

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I have unsuccessfully spent the past couple of weeks trying to come up with a cadaveric research idea.

Strategies I used to find ideas on breast reconstruction/flap topics were
- Pubmed search
- Review of PRS and JPRAS journals

As I am not yet a trainee I feel that my lack of experience might be a factor in my inability to come up with a project. I suggested a few ideas to my supervisor but were politely declined : ) I just wouldn't want him to think that I am asking him to come up with the idea.

I wondered if anyone could suggest
a) how I can improve my strategy to come up with a research proposal idea
b) any 'hot topics' in the breast reconstruction and flap world

I would like to thank you in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear all,

I have unsuccessfully spent the past couple of weeks trying to come up with a cadaveric research idea.

...As I am not yet a trainee I feel that my lack of experience might be a factor in my inability to come up with a project...

Might be a dumber question than I realize, but, why cadaveric? I'm more familiar with cell work, mouse work, and clinical work but not so much cadaveric. Is the idea to improve your manual surgical ability at the same time or something, etc? Or were you advised (from _____ source, I'm curious) that cadaveric would be looked at more highly than clinical research, etc?

Sorry just haven't started thus I'm not as familiar with using cadavers, since I'm out in the pre-med basic science wet lab world. Sorry to butt in without any helpful food for thought but I hope it helps bump the thread :). Thanks!

You are spot on. Since I'm spending one year doing research, I thought why not try something that also improves my surgical skills (at least that's what I hope : )

Any help with this task would be truly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I did a year of research and a bunch of cadaveric stuff during it. If you're looking to "improve your surgical skill" I'm not sure that the cadaver will be of great help. You will learn the anatomy, which is obviously important, but stitching/tying a cadaver is very different from a living human.

I think you hit it spot on when you said you're just not experienced enough to identify a valuable project. Moreover, you don't know the anatomy, what to look for, how to dissect, take PRS material photos, etc. These cadavers are expensive, and attendings won't buy them at the drop of a hat. I know if I were doing a dissection alone, I would have butchered it like we all did during MS1. It's nothing personal, it's just a matter of experience. Your best bet is to ask around the department (senior residents included) if anyone has a dissection you can get in on. Again, med students are essentially dead weight for these. If they are doing any histo/time elapse stuff/anything that involves grunt work where you can help then there's more of a chance for you to get on.

What I would suggest is writing up a systematic review on a straightforward topic. These involve no up-front cost to the attending, will let you learn a lot, and have a good chance of being accepted. I think they are perfect for a medical student, assuming you have some guidance as to what you will be reviewing.