Need your suggestions about IMG matching plastic surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thinklinux

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a international medical graduate here in US with F1 visa, I am going to get a PhD in biochem very soon. I got pretty good step 1 and step 2 scores and I am thinking to match plastic surgery later, but my friends told me that it was very difficult for IMG got matched in plastic surgery. I get very frustrated and disappointed about it. You know, I just like plastic surgery so much. so can you give me some suggestions or insiders experiences for IMGs matching for plastic surgery. thank you so much..

Members don't see this ad.

True its very difficult but not impossible. Every year 1 or 2 IMG's do it. With a PHD I think you would have a leg up. The best thing you can do is decide that you are going to be a plastic surgeon and then give it your damnedest. Look at the number of program chairs and program directors there are who trained in foreign countries entirely. They probably had to go through hell to get there but its not easy for anyone.

There are 2 paths:
1) combined/integrated: match straight out of medschool
2) General surgery followed by fellowship.

It used to be that the match rate was 80-90% for people who would be board eligable in general surgery and only 40-50% for med students trying to go straight in. Now the match rates are similar. If you are positive that you want to do plastic surgery then I would at least apply to the combined/integrated spots. Make sure you do a handful of away rotations at places that interest you as this seems to be a very important factor in the match. I would also apply to the general surgery programs that have fellowships attached. Its always easier to get a fellowship at your home institution. At any rate best of luck. I will be rooting for you!

GSresident said:
It used to be that the match rate was 80-90% for people who would be board eligable in general surgery and only 40-50% for med students trying to go straight in. Now the match rates are similar.

What are the match rates? Are they near the 80-90% or have they averaged out to 60-70%?

Nero

Last year it was aweful -the fellowship match rate was about 40%. I don't know if it will be any better this year but I sure hope so.