UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good News and Bad News.
Good News: I got accepted to KCUMB. =)
Bad News: I am still waitlisted for TCOM

I am a TX resident and already submitted my matriculation for KCUMB. Should I stick around on the waitlist for TCOM or should I remove myself off? Any recommendations, advice, and suggestions would be appreciated! THANKS!! =D
You won't lose anything if you remain on the wait list, and you never know you may get pulled off and get to stay in Texas.

Members don't see this ad.

Good News and Bad News.
Good News: I got accepted to KCUMB. =)
Bad News: I am still waitlisted for TCOM

I am a TX resident and already submitted my matriculation for KCUMB. Should I stick around on the waitlist for TCOM or should I remove myself off? Any recommendations, advice, and suggestions would be appreciated! THANKS!! =D

I would remain on the waitlist. TCOM tuition will be so much cheaper than KCUMB if you get off the waitlist. Plus I know several people that got of the TCOM waitlist, but it doesn't seem to happen until summer.

I'm not sure how it works for OOS schools, but unless you are required to take yourself off the waitlist, I see no reason you should (unless KCUMB were to be your top choice)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure how it works for OOS schools, but unless you are required to take yourself off the waitlist, I see no reason you should (unless KCUMB were to be your top choice)

Especially when TCOM starts before KCUMB.

Everyone all good? No questions?
Any wait list movement?

I spoke to the admission office. The movement of the number of people getting accepted from waitlist varies from year to year. Also, the pool is getting more competitive as the years come. For example, UTMB said that they had the largest number applicants pool for their school this year, and it was tough just to offer an interview to people. I would imagine that TCOM applicant pool is getting larger and more competitve. Hopefully, we all find out soon about our waitlist situation. Also, thanks everybody for giving me your valuable insights! =) I will stay on the waitlist and 'wait' it out to see what happens, lol. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!! =D

Every admission cycle is different. Just hang in there and Good luck.

Also FYI if u missed tcom day and would like to come to myHSC day registration deadline is the 13th!

Every admission cycle is different. Just hang in there and Good luck.

Also FYI if u missed tcom day and would like to come to myHSC day registration deadline is the 13th!

This event is worth attending. However, it's best to not limit yourself to the free tours given by realtors. There are other good properties and housing options available. Plan ahead and explore. Apartment owners love TCOM students. Good luck to all!

For those accepted, have you guys received anything from the school. I remember signing and returning an agreement form a while back, but there hasn't been anything else since.

For those accepted, have you guys received anything from the school. I remember signing and returning an agreement form a while back, but there hasn't been anything else since.

So last year I did not revive a single thing. I prematched so I literally only heard about my tcom day and that was it. This is normal all the info u need is on the new student website and if u have any questions u can calstage admin or ask us the students. I think I got some random packet over the summer but couldn't tell u what was in it. That being said, you will be receiving email/surveys asking u to tell us about yourself. This is for the buddy system, each college is doing thier own buddy matching, so i cant say when u will be gettig these surveys but they will be sometime bt now and when u start school! Anyways like I said at match time, No worries this is normal.

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm sure they'll email you info about white coat day. If I remember correctly, the only other forms they want are your vaccination record and health history. Other than that, just show up in July.

I just sent an email to decline my spot. I really loved the school and had a hard time choosing. Good luck to the person that will take it!

Any waitlist movement?

There is some movement, a student posted on the TCOM class of 2016 FB group that they came off the wait-list today. So I guess they are starting to pull off the wait-list. Goodluck.

Does anyone know when we should hear from the financial aid office?

I got pulled off the wait-list today as well! Super stoked!

Does anyone know when we should hear from the financial aid office?

I don't remember getting anything from them this early. Just give them a call if you're curious. They're a bunch of super friendly and helpful folks.

Question for all you guys who applied last year. I have a letter from a DO but I sort of only want to send it to TCOM and not the other tmdsas schools. Is that possible?

Question for all you guys who applied last year. I have a letter from a DO but I sort of only want to send it to TCOM and not the other tmdsas schools. Is that possible?

Yes you can send it to tcom directly. Are you applying for class of 2017? Seems kind of late to send one in for 2016. Remember y'all can always pm me for specifics. Good luck

I was taken off the wait list May 14, but I have decided to defer for a year. Congrats to whoever fills my spot this year, and good luck to everyone!

I was taken off the wait list May 14, but I have decided to defer for a year. Congrats to whoever fills my spot this year, and good luck to everyone!

Awesome! See u in two years!

For the others, Remember to join the Facebook for all your questions. 2 months till d-day

Yep, go to your class FB for answers. Enjoy your summer, and be sure to do something fun before all heck breaks loose.

Hey, has anyone heard on when admissions is going to start accepting medsci that just graduated or inform us if we should start applying again? I know a few people (4-6) that have heard since graduation but there hasn't been any movement since.

Hey, has anyone heard on when admissions is going to start accepting medsci that just graduated or inform us if we should start applying again? I know a few people (4-6) that have heard since graduation but there hasn't been any movement since.

Unfortunately I don't think anyone has the answer to this. Have some Medsci friends who I'm pulling for but it doesn't look good. I would have actually already started applying if I was you. Remember earlier the better especially for reapplicats.

That is what I'm worried about and that my application isn't going to change other than a few activities and I've reworked my essays. TCOM already is aware of how well I did in the program. Medsci was a great learning opportunity and I would hate to have to take a year off reapplying. The material is fresh and it's all about repetition. Either way Medsci was a great experience.

That is what I'm worried about and that my application isn't going to change other than a few activities and I've reworked my essays. TCOM already is aware of how well I did in the program. Medsci was a great learning opportunity and I would hate to have to take a year off reapplying. The material is fresh and it's all about repetition. Either way Medsci was a great experience.

Yup. That's the thing about medsci it's no lock. Doesn't matter if you only made one B an it was an 89.4; I really feel for y'all because I know some ppl kick its but and have proven themselves but still don't get the chance. One advice I would give any medsci's out there is to keep improving their app while in the program just for this reason. Also apply early the next cycle if they haven't gotten in by the start of the next app cycle. Admissions is like the dating game, you can't let tcom just string you along, she'll make u go crazy waiting for her call. The upside, I know two of my classmates who are re-apps and the only major change from one year to the next in there app was they submitted it early Best of luck

Hey y'all. About 10 of us med scis just got accepted off the wait list, yesterday, including myself. I can assure you the program helped me get in. On top of that, I made two C's in the program... It's definitely worth a shot if you want to get into TCOM. I couldn't believe it, albeit my MCAT is decent.

Anyway, good luck to you all, just wanted to help build your intuition that they are still accepting/pulling off the waitlist.

Congrats and ... seriously WOW. My friend was in med sci. He got rejected by TCOM, and he had only two Bs. His MCAT was also decent. He got interviews at other schools but so far he's still waiting.

(I matched in February. 2nd try with improvements worked out well for me.)

Ya. It's kind of a crap shoot. At the end of the day seems like the mcat is the determining factor. I know my 89.4 guy has a 27 and still no luck. Im glad it worked out for y'all! You guys def bump up the avg at tcom and are well deserving. Enjoy ur summer!

It seems a few more people from the med sci program were accepted earlier today as well. (My judgement is based solely on facebook status updates lol; I'm friends with about 50% of the class)

Seems mostly people that have about a 3.5 and a SD of .3 average in the program, or within the 50th percentile of the class, and you're good.

I'm so confused... are y'all talking about getting accepted from applying at the beginning of May or was this applying from their med sci program?

I'm so confused... are y'all talking about getting accepted from applying at the beginning of May or was this applying from their med sci program?

These med scis are getting in from last application cycle for the class of 2016. They at some of the last ppl to get accepted into tcom. Is that was u were trying to ask?

These med scis are getting in from last application cycle for the class of 2016. They at some of the last ppl to get accepted into tcom. Is that was u were trying to ask?

Yup, exactly! We are the lucky ones that jump with joy on the phone and suddenly feel like the weight of the world has been lifted off our shoulders... Or maybe that's just me ;-)!

I got a 22 on my MCAT, but I have a science GPA of 3.93 and an overall gpa of 3.895, and worked as a medical assist for a retinal/glaucoma surgeon and a PT tech for Baylor Medical Center. Do I even stand a chance at getting in with such a low MCAT score?

I got a 22 on my MCAT, but I have a science GPA of 3.93 and an overall gpa of 3.895, and worked as a medical assist for a retinal/glaucoma surgeon and a PT tech for Baylor Medical Center. Do I even stand a chance at getting in with such a low MCAT score?

Based off historical statistics, you have a chance. I think if you had a hard major, your GPA might get you an interview if the rest of your application is good.

Hi,

so i'm a texas resident and i've taken the mcat three times so far. my first mcat was a 20 (VR 7 PS 7 BS 6), second was a 26 (VR 8 PS 10 BS 8), and third was a 22 (VR 4 PS 8 BS 10). I know :( I should have just stuck with the 26. Do you know how they view the lower recent score. I'm stuck as to whether I should retake it again in September for applying to DO school. I really want to get into TCOM. I have a GPA of 3.5 science 3.4. I have plenty of extracurricular and health care activities as well. Help?

I would say slight to no chance. You really need to pick up that mcat

Hi,

so i'm a texas resident and i've taken the mcat three times so far. my first mcat was a 20 (VR 7 PS 7 BS 6), second was a 26 (VR 8 PS 10 BS 8), and third was a 22 (VR 4 PS 8 BS 10). I know :( I should have just stuck with the 26. Do you know how they view the lower recent score. I'm stuck as to whether I should retake it again in September for applying to DO school. I really want to get into TCOM. I have a GPA of 3.5 science 3.4. I have plenty of extracurricular and health care activities as well. Help?

This is a tough one, you def got a shot. When are/did u apply? I could see u benefiting from the med sci program if u don't get in. Don't rush the mcat. Make sure you are prepared to make that 29+ and if ur not then don't take it. I'm not saying u need a 29...just be that confident if u retake it.

To anyone who applied for the ROME program last cycle 2011-12,

I have my interview coming up soon. did any of you guys apply to the ROME program last year and get in? Do you guys know how many people they accept for it? Do you guys have any tips geared specifically for the interview with Dr.Bowling?

If I'm not mistaken, there are ~15 seats reserved for the ROME program.

I'm coming up from houston in a couple weeks for my TCOM interview. Any recommendations for a hotel nearby TCOM that charages a reasonable price?